Netflix loses Starz movies in February.

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

http://ca.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idCATRE78063S20110902

This sucks. And the price hike on top of it. I'm considering looking elsewhere myself. Hopefully Starz strikes a deal with Hulu or something. And Netflix better do something soon or someone like Google or Amazon are going to take over.

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

Ugh that sucks, netflix has really been letting me down lately

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
What a huge loss. /sarcasm
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts
Eh...I'll manage with what's left. I refuse to pay for Hulu's service--You don't get to watch their full catalog, plus you still have to put up with commercials.
Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
Wow. Goodbye Netflix.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The-Apostle
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]What a huge loss. /sarcasm

Not sure why you're being sarcastic. Starz on Netflix has a MAJOR selection of movies.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

That kinda sucks, but those movies are pretty bad for the most part, every once in a while I'll see one that's good. This isn't really Netflix's fault, it's all the movie studios who are having trouble adapting to new technology. What I really think Netflix should do is get rid of shipping entirely, keep the monthly streaming, and add an option to rent or buy non-streaming movies. In other words, for the movies that Netflix doesn't have a deal with you can buy a one-time streaming view, or you can pay what you might for a DVD and have that movie available to watch instantly forever.

I think the problem is the movie studios, Netflix is a horrible deal for them. Even with all the money that Netflix pays to get movies on their streaming surface, movie studios still lose money because people are paying so much less than they would be if they were buying the individual DVDs. Movie studios are souring on streaming and trying to support pay-per-view instead.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
[QUOTE="The-Apostle"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]What a huge loss. /sarcasm

Not sure why you're being sarcastic. Starz on Netflix has a MAJOR selection of movies.

It's too bad that "major" selection doesn't feature any good movies.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The-Apostle
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="The-Apostle"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]What a huge loss. /sarcasm

I disagree. I've liked a lot of the Stars movies I've seen, as long as they're not art house.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

And there's another blow to netflix. I actually liked watching some of the Starz movies.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 theone86

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="The-Apostle"] Not sure why you're being sarcastic. Starz on Netflix has a MAJOR selection of movies.The-Apostle

I disagree. I've liked a lot of the Stars movies I've seen, as long as they're not art house.

Yes, movies like White Chicks are such gems.

Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]What a huge loss. /sarcasmsammyjenkis898

Not to mention they are never in HD.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The-Apostle

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] It's too bad that "major" selection doesn't feature any good movies.theone86

Are you being sarcastic because I said I don't like art house movies? I don't like them because I find them to be boring. Anyway, my preference is and always will be 80s-90s movies, with some 70s movies too.
CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts
Netflix's response was so great...pretty much saying they would use this money towards publishers with better films/tv shows :P http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/netflix-reacts-starz-content-is-230380
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#15 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
First, it's one column. Then another. And another. Then, the whole coliseum comes crashing down....
sauronthehun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 sauronthehun
Member since 2007 • 187 Posts
[QUOTE="CosmoKing7717"]Netflix's response was so great...pretty much saying they would use this money towards publishers with better films/tv shows :P http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/netflix-reacts-starz-content-is-230380

Crossing my fingers for HBO.
CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CosmoKing7717
[QUOTE="sauronthehun"][QUOTE="CosmoKing7717"]Netflix's response was so great...pretty much saying they would use this money towards publishers with better films/tv shows :P http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/netflix-reacts-starz-content-is-230380

Crossing my fingers for HBO.

HBO is so freaking stingy T_T curse them.
fl4tlined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fl4tlined
Member since 2007 • 4134 Posts
and i stop using netflix now
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23038 Posts
And the strategy to turn Netflix into a metaphorical swap meet continues.
CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CosmoKing7717
I'm sure this means their TV shows too? Thank God I bought Party Down on DVD.spongeliv
CRAP FORGOT I NEED TO WATCH THAT QUICKLY
berserker2389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 berserker2389
Member since 2010 • 4627 Posts

Ugh that sucks, netflix has really been letting me down lately

Bane_09
Same here :(
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"] I disagree. I've liked a lot of the Stars movies I've seen, as long as they're not art house.The-Apostle

Are you being sarcastic because I said I don't like art house movies? I don't like them because I find them to be boring. Anyway, my preference is and always will be 80s-90s movies, with some 70s movies too.

Partially, but mostly I'm being sarcastic because you're trying to use personal preference as an objective qualifier for a movie being good or bad (not to mention using it as your singular qualifier). "I like it" is not the same as it being good, there are objective qualifications you can use to judge movies such as script quality, originality, direction, acting, and whether or not it appeals to the lowest common denominator. Many Starz movies, such as White Chicks, fail on all counts. Doesn't mean you can't like White Chicks, but you liking it will not make it good. That's why we have the phrase "guilty pleasures."

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
I guess some companies just love to be greedy. Oh well, after looking through there I only seen a handful of movies from the set and I either have the DVD or didn't bother watching it again.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#26 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I BARELY watch anything on Netflix's stream anymore anyway, its like 99% crap.
Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts
not many people were watching those movies, netflix offered them $200 million, they should have taken the money.
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Netflix streaming has turned to crap lately anyway

ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts

Netflix's response was so great...pretty much saying they would use this money towards publishers with better films/tv shows :P http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/netflix-reacts-starz-content-is-230380CosmoKing7717

Sounds like a good plan as long as they can add as many or more shows/movies than Starz provided. It should keep the cost of Netflix down.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

Dumb move Starz. Just don't start crying about lost profits when piracy spikes up dramatically.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

I BARELY watch anything on Netflix's stream anymore anyway, its like 99% crap.Allicrombie

It's getting that way. Lately it's more of a service to stream old TV series than watching actual movies. Hollywood is a collective control freak and wrongly views Netflix as a threat.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"][QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

Partially, but mostly I'm being sarcastic because you're trying to use personal preference as an objective qualifier for a movie being good or bad (not to mention using it as your singular qualifier). "I like it" is not the same as it being good, there are objective qualifications you can use to judge movies such as script quality, originality, direction, acting, and whether or not it appeals to the lowest common denominator. Many Starz movies, such as White Chicks, fail on all counts. Doesn't mean you can't like White Chicks, but you liking it will not make it good. That's why we have the phrase "guilty pleasures."

I'm sorry but that's a little out there...if someone likes a movie then it's good to them. Who cares about some supposedly "objective" qualifications that make a movie "good". It's all subjective and this isn't film class.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

So Netflix offered Staz TEN TIMES as much as they were previously getting, and they turned it down? I don't know, this sort of greed is just idiotic. I'm pretty happy with Netflix, for all the movies I watch, it's a great bargain even with the price going up a few bucks a month. Comparing it to any premium TV channels like HBO is utterly comical - probably get 100 times the value from Netflix.

Oh well, I'm sure that they'll figure out something else to do with all that money they were planning on paying Starz. Probably something better.

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
Screw Starz, Netflix should sign with HBO. They have way better television series and movies.
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

also with the spike in prices, glad i didnt actually buy Netflix after my free month was over

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
The only thing good that could come of this is if all these other services start losing money and can't afford to pay what Hollywood stupidly insists on.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

This is actually a good thing. Now there won't be so many really bad movies popping up in my suggestions. Less to sift through = finding decent stuff easier.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"] Are you being sarcastic because I said I don't like art house movies? I don't like them because I find them to be boring. Anyway, my preference is and always will be 80s-90s movies, with some 70s movies too.junglist101

I'm sorry but that's a little out there...if someone likes a movie then it's good to them. Who cares about some supposedly "objective" qualifications that make a movie "good". It's all subjective and this isn't film class.

Yes, it's good to them, but that doesn't mean it's objectively good. That's my problem, is using subjective qualification to determine objective worth, in addition to the fact that he can't even quantify his subjective viewpoint, all he can say is that it's "good." I'm simply tired of seeing people, in film and other topics, who think that simply having an opinion entitles them to having that opinion validated, and that anyone who asks them to *gasp* substantiate their opinion is being an elitist jerk.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

I don't care about the Starz content, but hopefully this doesn't become a trend. If something I like disappeared it would probably bother me quite a bit.

It's not like there's anything to worry about though, if Netflix really goes downhill I'll just cancel.

Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
Such a huge lost, Netflix will never be the same.:cry:
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts
meh. i wasn't that impressed w/ their mod selection as it was.. i'm still using the dvd/br format for most of the stuff i get from netflix.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
I BARELY watch anything on Netflix's stream anymore anyway, its like 99% crap.Allicrombie
I was just gonna ask do they ever get new **** to stream? Now that I stopped getting the 1 movie delivered I noticed there doesn't seem to be anything new to stream at all which sucks.
solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]I BARELY watch anything on Netflix's stream anymore anyway, its like 99% crap.Dracula68
I was just gonna ask do they ever get new **** to stream? Now that I stopped getting the 1 movie delivered I noticed there doesn't seem to be anything new to stream at all which sucks.

It seems to trickle in, almost one or two a week, I wished they had a set date like redbox does every Tuesday :(

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

That kinda sucks, but those movies are pretty bad for the most part, every once in a while I'll see one that's good. This isn't really Netflix's fault, it's all the movie studios who are having trouble adapting to new technology. What I really think Netflix should do is get rid of shipping entirely, keep the monthly streaming, and add an option to rent or buy non-streaming movies. In other words, for the movies that Netflix doesn't have a deal with you can buy a one-time streaming view, or you can pay what you might for a DVD and have that movie available to watch instantly forever.

I think the problem is the movie studios, Netflix is a horrible deal for them. Even with all the money that Netflix pays to get movies on their streaming surface, movie studios still lose money because people are paying so much less than they would be if they were buying the individual DVDs. Movie studios are souring on streaming and trying to support pay-per-view instead.

theone86

The thing is, however, were it not for streaming many people would never watch those movies anyway, let alone buy them. So no, I doubt the studios really lose money from this.

And yeah, Starz Play is a bunch of crap mostly. Although I suppose I may lament the loss of such timeless greats as 'The Santa Clause 2', 'Tales From the Hood' and old episodes of 'Cagney and Lacey'.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
What exactly is the content that Starz provides for Netflix? None of the articles that I've seen on the subject have given any examples of prominent content that Netflix is losing. Can anyone help me out?
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

I hardly ever stream movies, I dislike too many of them. I'll stick to documentaries and tv shows.

The price hike coming in September has me thinking about dropping them entirely, though. I'll see how it goes... I've been a Netflix subscriber for quite some time.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
What exactly is the content that Starz provides for Netflix? None of the articles that I've seen on the subject have given any examples of prominent content that Netflix is losing. Can anyone help me out?xaos
From what I understand, some of the content consists of movies from both Disney and Sony. I think some tv shows from them as well.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
[QUOTE="xaos"]What exactly is the content that Starz provides for Netflix? None of the articles that I've seen on the subject have given any examples of prominent content that Netflix is losing. Can anyone help me out?Hallenbeck77
From what I understand, some of the content consists of movies from both Disney and Sony. I think some tv shows from them as well.

More info at least, but I still feel in the dark. Thanks
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"][QUOTE="xaos"]What exactly is the content that Starz provides for Netflix? None of the articles that I've seen on the subject have given any examples of prominent content that Netflix is losing. Can anyone help me out?xaos

More info at least, but I still feel in the dark. Thanks

Here's an article that might shed a bit more light: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/09/netflix-to-lose-starz-its-most-valuable-source-of-new-movies.html
mission76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mission76
Member since 2007 • 673 Posts

I don't have cable or interent right now at my house and don't plan on getting either for a long time. I use my iphone to stream netflix to the tv so Netflix is all I have in terms of tv entertainment. I love Netflix and watch maybe 3 things a day on it. That being said I think out of all those movies I have seen I have probably seen the Starz opening 3 or 4 times at most, so this is not a major blow.

I would love for Netflix to beef up the "Docs" category, and to show more movies from the 80's and 90's. I know they are at the mercy of the owners of these movies but these companies really need to get a grip. Most of thier "catalog" is not as valuable as they think. Sure, I might want to watch something like "Night of the Creeps" or its counterpart "Slither" or something like that. But I believe they think by denying these companies the rights to stream these movies we will all rush out and buy the DVD or an Itunes copy or whatever....the majority of us will not. They need to realize that they should take the money that these new companies are offering and run. Then again the media companies are always slow accepting new ways for the population to watch thier stuff