Muslims, Police Fight at NY Theme Park

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Rye Playlandwas shut down Tuesday after cops scuffled with Muslims upset that women wearinghead scarves were barred from the rides, witnesses said.

Fifteen people, including three women, were charged with disorderly conduct and assault in the chaos, authorities said.

TheWestchester Countypark was packed with Muslims celebratingEid-ul-Fitr- the holiday marking the end of the Islamic holy month ofRamadan.

One woman,Entisai Ali, began arguing with cops over the amusement park's head scarf, or hijab, rule, saidDena Meawad, 18, ofBay Ridge,Brooklyn.

The ban, which is not Muslim specific, was imposed about 3 years ago mostly to prevent hats from falling onto the tracks of roller coasters and other rides, park officials said.

"The cops started getting loud with her and she started getting loud, too. They pushed her on the ground and arrested her," Meawad said.

Her cousin,Kareem Meawad, 17, went to try to protect the woman and was beaten by cops and also arrested, she added. Her brother,Issam Meawad, 20, was pushed to the ground and taken into custody when he tried to help his cousin, she said.

"She just wanted to get on a ride. That was it," Dena Meawad said of the initial confrontation. "It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim."

John Hodges, chief inspector of Westchester County Public Safety, insisted that police did not use excessive force.

He said up to 100 cops from surrounding departments converged on the park.

Two park rangers were injured in the melee, prompting felony assault charges against two people arrested, officials said.

'It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim,' says Dena Meawad. (Norman Y. Lono for News).

The ugly incident happened just after 1 p.m. The event was organized by theMuslim American Society of New York, and attracted 3,000 Muslims from Brooklyn, Queens, theBronxand Westchester County.

Ali's sister,Ayman Alrabah, 24, of Brooklyn said her husband, brother and father were all tackled by cops and put into handcuffs when they tried to help her sister.

Alrabah said she was unaware of the head-scarf rule until she and her sister tried to get on the park's Dragon Coasters.

"We requested a refund and all of a sudden an argument became a riot," Alrabah said. "Cops came. They were hitting my brother, my dad. My husband was on the floor and they were handcuffing him.

She said her 4-year-old son was "traumatized" by seeing his father arrested.

"They treated us like animals, like we were nothing," Alrabah said. "They came with their dogs and sticks. We came to have fun."

The park was closed for about two hours because of the fracas. It reopened at about 6 p.m.

Peter Tartaglia, deputy commissioner of Westchester County Parks, said the Muslim American Society of New York was warned in advance of the rule barring head scarves on rides for safety reasons.

"Part of our rules and regulations, which we painstakingly told them over and over again, is that certain rides you cannot wear any sort of headgear," Tartaglia said. "It's a safety issue for us on rides, it could become a projectile."

Many Muslims were given refunds as they left the park disappointed.

"In this heightened state of Islamaphobia, a woman wearing a hajib is an easy target these days," said Zead Ramadan, president of theCouncil on American-Islamic Relations-New York. "Unfortunately, this turned ugly due to a lot of miscommunication."

Full article

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2011/08/31/2011-08-31_muslims_cops_scuffle_at_rye_playland_over_amusement_parks_head_scarf_ban.html#ixzz1WccvrvnB

I think its kind of ridiculous to expect safety rules not to apply to you because of your religion. Wearing a head scarf on a ride with with moving mechanical parts is a pretty clear safety hazard.

What do you guys think?

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
Was this a France-themed park?
spacedog1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 spacedog1973
Member since 2007 • 1144 Posts

The article states that after they requested a refund, cops came and were aggressive. I don't find that difficult to believe to be honest. Thats all I take from the article worthy of any note. People have disagressments all the time. This is not a muslime thing, this is a matter between the theme park and a specific group who happened to be muslims. I imagine this park has experienced other disagreements with other customers over the course of its exisistance. I do wonder how this is news.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
[QUOTE="article"]The ban, which is not Muslim specific, was imposed about 3 years ago mostly to prevent hats from falling onto the tracks of roller coasters and other rides, park officials said. "She just wanted to get on a ride. That was it," Dena Meawad said of the initial confrontation. "It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim."

Oh the race card... how I hate it.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

You cannot "win" an argument with a Cop.You can only escalate it to an arrest.

The fact that she was arguing with police in the first place, doesn't make it racially specific. Cop could just been an A-hole.

spacedog1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 spacedog1973

[QUOTE="article"]The ban, which is not Muslim specific, was imposed about 3 years ago mostly to prevent hats from falling onto the tracks of roller coasters and other rides, park officials said. "She just wanted to get on a ride. That was it," Dena Meawad said of the initial confrontation. "It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim."foxhound_fox

Muslim is not a race.

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
And I believe that rule makes complete sense, not to mention the society for the Muslims were told many times in advance about the rule.
Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts

The rule is for peoples own saftey.

This complaining is pretty lame.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
.......... She didn't have the right to demand a refund.. The rules on these parks are ALWAYS plain to see in what you can and cannot do/wear.. You can't demand a establishment to change its rules because it happens to go against YOUR rules. Especially this one when it was directed toward general safety and/or to ensure headwear is not lost on the ride.
IPWNDU2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 IPWNDU2
Member since 2006 • 2535 Posts

No. Rules are rules, and should be applied to everyone.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 foxhound_fox
Muslim is not a race.spacedog1973
"The race card" does not specifically refer to race... it is a turn of phrase regarding an attitude that one is being discriminated against due to a specific trait or difference. Example: Rage-a-holic: "You won't let me use the air compressor for free because I'm black!" Me: "No sir, I won't let you use it for free because it requires all customers pay 50 cents to operate." Replace "black" with "Jew," "Muslim," "handicapped," etc.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#12 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Rules apply to everyone, regardless of race or religion. No hats applies to everyone. The article said that the police started getting loud, most likely because she wouldn't listen to them.

spacedog1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 spacedog1973

[QUOTE="spacedog1973"]Muslim is not a race.foxhound_fox
"The race card" does not specifically refer to race... it is a turn of phrase regarding an attitude that one is being discriminated against due to a specific trait or difference. Example: Rage-a-holic: "You won't let me use the air compressor for free because I'm black!" Me: "No sir, I won't let you use it for free because it requires all customers pay 50 cents to operate." Replace "black" with "Jew," "Muslim," "handicapped," etc.

Its a lazy way of using the phrase. Don't defend its use where not applicable. Just don't use it. This is a very specific muslim oriented issues linked to their dress. It has no racial conotations at all. Now, if the ride operator didn't want to let them on becasue he doesn't like 'muslims' when we know that is sometimes used as code for race, then it would have more relevance.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Peter Tartaglia, deputy commissioner of Westchester County Parks, said the Muslim American Society of New York was warned in advance of the rule barring head scarves on rides for safety reasons.

"Part of our rules and regulations, which we painstakingly told them over and over again, is that certain rides you cannot wear any sort of headgear," Tartaglia said. "It's a safety issue for us on rides, it could become a projectile."

Projectile? That's stupid. Solid objects like sunglasses and cameras flying from a rollercoaster are projectiles. A head scarf is not. Stupid reason for a stupid rule.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 foxhound_fox
Its a lazy way of using the phrase. Don't defend its use where not applicable. Just don't use it. This is a very specific muslim oriented issues linked to their dress. It has no racial conotations at all. Now, if the ride operator didn't want to let them on becasue he doesn't like 'muslims' when we know that is sometimes used as code for race, then it would have more relevance.spacedog1973
We are here to discuss the issue of these people causing problems at an amusement park... not the meanings and applicable contexts of words. You understood what I said, so why not just leave it at that?
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
Eh, I think they were both wrong. The rules are pretty plain (even if silly), but the police reaction *sounds* like it was a bit much.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Well the rule is there for a reason (the prevent lawsuits mostly :P) but I think the cops could have handled things better.

spacedog1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 spacedog1973

[QUOTE="spacedog1973"]Its a lazy way of using the phrase. Don't defend its use where not applicable. Just don't use it. This is a very specific muslim oriented issues linked to their dress. It has no racial conotations at all. Now, if the ride operator didn't want to let them on becasue he doesn't like 'muslims' when we know that is sometimes used as code for race, then it would have more relevance.foxhound_fox
We are here to discuss the issue of these people causing problems at an amusement park... not the meanings and applicable contexts of words. You understood what I said, so why not just leave it at that?

Becasue all too frequently, these topics are affected by the terminolgoy that people use. I'm sure you know this.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxhound_fox
Becasue all too frequently, these topics are affected by the terminolgoy that people use. I'm sure you know this.spacedog1973
Not really. The only "affect" semantics arguments have on topics of any nature generally lead to ridiculously long, drawn out arguments that have nothing to do with the original topic. A complete waste of time and bandwidth. I said what I said and stand by it. 99/100 people who visit this site and read my statement would understand what I was getting at.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

We don't have enough information to know what happenned.

But usually when you see weak charges being brought against someone for a minor incident, that probably could have been defused isntead of being escalated, it's all about a cop's ego.

Or the "Respect My Authoritah!" Rule (also known as the Cartman rule).

Most cops are just doing their jobs. Some are a-holes with badges.

jonathant5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jonathant5
Member since 2010 • 873 Posts

I am muslim (although not your typical muslim, most of the muslims from my country are very, very different from those who live in the Middle East), but anyway I agree with the park and the police. Granted they could have handled the situation in a better manner, park rules are park rules. If you want to ride the ride then you have to abide by those rules, and people wont make an exception just because of your religion (and your own rules). If they wanted to ride the rides that badly, they should have taken of the scarf. Furthermore, the park told the atendees many times that hats were not allowed, so uh kind of the fault of the people who went to the park.

And to what the woman said, no it did not happen because she is Muslim, it happened because she started arguing with the cops rather than simply leaving the issue alone. You never argue with the cops (at least in North America, in Asia, not so much of a problem lol)

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

This was probably an escalation by all parties involved.

It's typicla human behaviour, instead of looking fo rways to defuse the situaitons, people tend to escalate things, BUT the police are suppposed to know better. These officers either did the right thing because they saw a possibility for thigns to get violent and figrued arrestign some people might defuse a charged situation, or they did a bad thing by further escalating a simple disagreement.

Again, we have no way of knowing, unless someone has some more information about the incident.

The first thing I would have done as the manager of the park is explain why it's nto safe to go in the ride with the head covering. Then I would apologize and offer them a refund, or maybe some free dirnks and let them know about all the other rides that they CAN use without any danger.

That probably would have ended the issue right there.

I do wonder... They say the headcoverings were the issue, right?

Have you seen them? They are usually pulled tight around the head and are not much longer than shoulder length. Do they make girls with long hair tie their hair up? 'cause that would be more dnagerous...

Not saying there was bias, in fact it may have been that there was a possibility for the covering to fall off and be dangerous, but these people might have interpreted it that way.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE=""]

Projectile? That's stupid. Solid objects like sunglasses and cameras flying from a rollercoaster are projectiles. A head scarf is not. Stupid reason for a stupid rule.

indeed, the policy is stupid and they should have been refunded
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE=""]

weezyfb

Scarf or hat falls off and gets wrapped in the mechanical workings of the ride causing something to malfunction and break possibly hurting some body in the process. You don't want anything falling off of a person during a ride like that, it could get snagged in something that would potentially break the machine and cause injuries or death. It's a smart policy.

It was implemented years ago, obviously they had some problems with it so they decided to just ban them all together on the rides. No big deal.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

The rules should not be bent as they are in place due to safety hazards. The issue is of the initial argument and following arrest. Why did it have to come to an arrest. Unless she was a threat to someone, even herself, then this could have been avoided. Unfortunately a cop can always say the felt threatened.

cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cee1gee
Member since 2008 • 2042 Posts

No. Rules are rules, and should be applied to everyone.

IPWNDU2
im gonna have to agree with this one
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Eh, I think they were both wrong. The rules are pretty plain (even if silly), but the police reaction *sounds* like it was a bit much.Skittles_McGee
Pretty much sums up my thoughts. It wouldn't even be news if the police didn't take it the way they did.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

[QUOTE="weezyfb"][QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

Wasdie

Scarf or hat falls off and gets wrapped in the mechanical workings of the ride causing something to malfunction and break possibly hurting some body in the process. You don't want anything falling off of a person during a ride like that, it could get snagged in something that would potentially break the machine and cause injuries or death. It's a smart policy.

It was implemented years ago, obviously they had some problems with it so they decided to just ban them all together on the rides. No big deal.

A falling head scarf is about as dangerous as a plastic bag blowing in the wind. Any ride that could possibly be that vulnerable would've been closed long ago.

Besides, ride malfunction isn't the reason cited by the park's deputy commissioner. He says the rule is in place because the item could become a projectile. Those are his words. And that's a complete load of bullcrap.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
[QUOTE="spacedog1973"]Becasue all too frequently, these topics are affected by the terminolgoy that people use. I'm sure you know this.foxhound_fox
Not really. The only "affect" semantics arguments have on topics of any nature generally lead to ridiculously long, drawn out arguments that have nothing to do with the original topic. A complete waste of time and bandwidth. I said what I said and stand by it. 99/100 people who visit this site and read my statement would understand what I was getting at.

I knew what you mean't. :D
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Actually this is a good things. If muslims are being beaten up by the cops, then it means they are being treated like average, every day americans. :P

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Actually this is a good things. If muslims are being beaten up by the cops, then it means they are being treated like average, every day americans. :P

sonicare

This made me laugh because my local police don't like me. Even though I've never been arrested and I don't have a violent background I swear they start crap ill seat in my car in a parking lot and they'll come "Hey, what you doing boy? You got weed? I think you got weed, get out the car son".

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38686 Posts

perhaps a refresher course is in order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Planet_Pluto
Member since 2011 • 2235 Posts

Eh, from what I heard about this on the radio on my way in this morning, it seems that the park had extensive conversations with the leaders/organizers of many/most of the groups that were going to be at the park that day. From what I've heard, the organizers had no problem with people with the coverings not being allowed on certain rides (as this safety rule does not apply to all rides).

Basically, it seems that the organizers dropped the ball by not notifying everyone that was going about the rule, so they were put off when they were refused access to certain rides.

I'm not seeing why this is such a big deal (other than the fact that a few officers were apparently injured).

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="weezyfb"] indeed, the policy is stupid and they should have been refundedOleg_Huzwog

A falling head scarf is about as dangerous as a plastic bag blowing in the wind. Any ride that could possibly be that vulnerable would've been closed long ago.

Besides, ride malfunction isn't the reason cited by the park's deputy commissioner. He says the rule is in place because the item could become a projectile. Those are his words. And that's a complete load of bullcrap.

.. Rules are rules.. Parks always have these rules in big letters at the front and on the line to the ride.. The only fault here is the customers who didn't bother or ignored the rules/agreement set forward..

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Rules are rules and are in place for a reason. Things can come loose or fly off at the strangest of times. Several years ago a teen was decapitated while trying to recover a hat lost while riding the Batman roller coaster at Six Flags Over Georgia. Loose articles can become a projectile. Physics play a large part in amusement/theme park rides to give the riders the feelings they enjoy (who would have thought science was at play on something designed for fun eh?) while riding said rides. Said physics act on all items aboard those rides including head gear, cameras (I am guilty of taking pictures on roller coasters, but have the camera secured to me multiple ways), flip flops, sandals, etc.

They should have heeded the rules. Did the cops get out of line? Hard to say, we were not there. Were the arrests warranted? Hard to say, it does not say if they were told to leave, but if so and they remained, then they were trespassing and then deserved to be arrested.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

Fightingfan

This made me laugh because my local police don't like me. Even though I've never been arrested and I don't have a violent background I swear they start crap ill seat in my car in a parking lot and they'll come "Hey, what you doing boy? You got weed? I think you got weed, get out the car son".

Just tell 'em "I don't consent to searches" to screw with their minds a bit. Though they will hate you more for it. Cops... I swear I sometimes think when it comes to cops, it's not a basket full of good apples with a few bad ones, but a basket filled with bad apples and a few good ones.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#37 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

Rules are rules and are in place for a reason. Things can come loose or fly off at the strangest of times. Several years ago a teen was decapitated while trying to recover a hat lost while riding the Batman roller coaster at Six Flags Over Georgia. Loose articles can become a projectile. Physics play a large part in amusement/theme park rides to give the riders the feelings they enjoy (who would have thought science was at play on something designed for fun eh?) while riding said rides. Said physics act on all items aboard those rides including head gear, cameras (I am guilty of taking pictures on roller coasters, but have the camera secured to me multiple ways), flip flops, sandals, etc.

They should have heeded the rules. Did the cops get out of line? Hard to say, we were not there. Were the arrests warranted? Hard to say, it does not say if they were told to leave, but if so and they remained, then they were trespassing and then deserved to be arrested.

WhiteKnight77

I know about that story. except. he didn't lose his head while riding the ride. he lost the hat, got off the ride. and like an idiot hopped the security fence and went on the ground looking for the damn hat. I dunno. i've seen Hijabi Muslim women wear their scarfs on high intense roller coasters (Valleyfair in Minnesota, Nick Universe in Minnesota, DreamPark in Cairo Egypt, Six Flags American in Maryland, a few others). and hijabs generally are on pretty tight. they can be worn loosely of course.

I once lost a cell phone on the Great White in SeaWorld in San Antonio, i did try to get it back, but i waited to do that as the park was closing and the ride shut down. Basically went about the day until it was closing time to deal with it. Did not find that cell phone anyways. :(

Anyways i know that is the rules at some parks. the organizers should of fully let the park-goers know the rules. hell.. in Saudi Arabia there is a waterpark called Sunset Beach that i go to. No abaya's, no hijabs, and no niqab's allowed in the pool. So the women either wear bikini's or a modest looking one piece suit. Even in a place as conservative Saudi there are rules like this. and btw, young Saudi women are hot as hell. :P

TheStarM4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheStarM4n
Member since 2010 • 301 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="article"]The ban, which is not Muslim specific, was imposed about 3 years ago mostly to prevent hats from falling onto the tracks of roller coasters and other rides, park officials said. "She just wanted to get on a ride. That was it," Dena Meawad said of the initial confrontation. "It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim."

I know right. It's just plain annoying
Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
Have no issues with how this was handled. Every single family member who tried to help was rightfully arrested. They knew the rules and ignorance should not be rewarded with refunds. Rules apply to everyone and just because some places allow one thing does not mean the one across the road has to.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
If they won't abide by the rules of the rides, then they don't get to ride them, simple as that. They deserve no special treatment.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
If they put rules in place to keep people safe it's probably best not to bend them. Exempt a few people and eventually everyone is exempt and then someone get hurt.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44655 Posts
"It's a safety issue for us on rides, it could become a projectile." I'd love to hear of a projectile hijab capable of doing harm, I'm sure it'd take DARPA years and billions of dollars just to come up with one of those.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
Rules are rules. If you don't want to follow them....don't ride. Simple.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#45 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Unless it's bolted down to something, I don't see how they can say it will stay on for sure.
Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Disturbed123
Member since 2005 • 1665 Posts

So rather than them being civil, the police batter them? And if such law is in place, it should be said at the entrance where the person is selling the ticket.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

So rather than them being civil, the police batter them? And if such law is in place, it should be said at the entrance where the person is selling the ticket.

Disturbed123
From the OP... Peter Tartaglia, deputy commissioner of Westchester County Parks, said the Muslim American Society of New York was warned in advance of the rule barring head scarves on rides for safety reasons.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

If it was a safety hazard, it's a safety hazard. Can't because you're Muslim? Don't get on.

It's too bad many people don't put 2 and 2 together, but oh well, what are you gonna do

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts
Religious customs don't make you an exception to the rules and policies of a theme park.
Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts
Based on what I can see, everyone was being an ass. It seems like police were heavy handed and of course the victim seems to be the "me, me, me" type. The rule seems to be perfectly reasonable one too.