Muslim Scholar On How Islam Really Views Homosexuality

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Interesting read. What say you, people of OT?

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

That's basically it except for the last paragraph which is the author's own reasoning.

What I really love about the article is this part which is pretty spot on:

Like Judaism, Islamic law (Shariah) has been developed by a clerical class that has always been more scholars than priests.

See, there's a difference between a Muslim scholar who says homosexuality is not permitted and a Christian priest who says the same thing. When a Muslim scholar says that it's not out of hate, it's not because of the story of Lot or because he finds it disgusting rather it's because that's what he understands from Quran and Sunnah. It's a law and nothing more than that.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

being against people for their biology....pretty shitty.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44591 Posts

Here's a better article to follow up with...

The hypocrisy of child abuse in many Muslim countries: Child marriage and pederasty are tolerated in Muslim societies where homosexuality is strictly condemned - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/apr/25/middle-east-child-abuse-pederasty

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my roommate who served in Afghanistan, and he was versed some in their culture. We were watching Kite Runner and there was that scene where the kid was raped by that religious conservative douchebag. And I pointed out like "how can they do that if they're so religiously strict" and he told me how that's actually okay with them because it's not gay since the one getting fucked is not really a man yet. Jeez. The article above points out this same tradition exists in parts of Pakistan. Boys as sex slaves it says are a symbol of social affluence. Not only is it okay to have sex with young boys but it's a symbol of social stature.

It also explains how in the Middle East it's common for young girls to get married off to older men and sometimes when they haven't even reached puberty, because intellectual maturity and not physical maturity is the basis for which young girls are force to marry older men. In places like Yemen, one quarter of young girls are married off before the age of 15.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

The law is just cheap - it validates corporal punishment and an easy means to abstain from any remove any moral culpability. It's bet

@alim298 said:

That's basically it except for the last paragraph which is the author's own reasoning.

Like Judaism, Islamic law (Shariah) has been developed by a clerical class that has always been more scholars than priests.

See, there's a difference between a Muslim scholar who says homosexuality is not permitted and a Christian priest who says the same thing. When a Muslim scholar says that it's not out of hate, it's not because of the story of Lot or because he finds it disgusting rather it's because that's what he understands from Quran and Sunnah. It's a law and nothing more than that.

The law is just weak - it validates corporal punishment and an easy means to absolve a person from any moral culpability. That's just poor really, bordering on saddening if it wasn't for this valium.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

And it's still morally outdated.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By alim298

@lamprey263 said:

Here's a better article to follow up with...

The hypocrisy of child abuse in many Muslim countries: Child marriage and pederasty are tolerated in Muslim societies where homosexuality is strictly condemned - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/apr/25/middle-east-child-abuse-pederasty

The article above points out this same tradition exists in parts of Pakistan. Boys as sex slaves it says are a symbol of social affluence. Not only is it okay to have sex with young boys but it's a symbol of social stature.

It also explains how in the Middle East it's common for young girls to get married off to older men and sometimes when they haven't even reached puberty, because intellectual maturity and not physical maturity is the basis for which young girls are force to marry older men. In places like Yemen, one quarter of young girls are married off before the age of 15.

This is TheGuardian so I wouldn't take it seriously if I were you. The people working in TheGuardian aren't simply news reporters they are news makers. They have a tendency for visiting the most unknown places, reporting on the most unknown incidents. Seriously some of the things they write, I as a Middle Eastern who knows some of the backward places of his country and the region too to some extent have never encountered.

Besides the article is talking about Pakistan and Afghanistan. I can tell for certain that it's a cultural thing among them as I've not seen nor heard of any such things existing among other Muslim countries except Afghanistan personally. Well Afghanistan is a poor country with an uneducated nation and it's not that hard to invent something in your religion like the permissibility of having intercourse with kids. (Which is totally ridiculous since as the article in the OP suggests there will be punishment for any sexual act outside of marriage anyway.)

@lamprey263 said:

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my roommate who served in Afghanistan, and he was versed some in their culture. We were watching Kite Runner and there was that scene where the kid was raped by that religious conservative douchebag. And I pointed out like "how can they do that if they're so religiously strict" and he told me how that's actually okay with them because it's not gay since the one getting fucked is not really a man yet. Jeez.

Your friend hasn't seen the entire land of Afghanistan and has not met all the people and not every part of Afghanistan has the same culture so maybe tell your friend it's time to lay off that hasheesh pot and stop generalizing. Of course people want to justify their wrongdoings using anything including religion.

@lamprey263 said:
Loading Video...

Well people who gave this guy the time of their day, well they have a problem in my opinion. So this isn't even a bit shocking to me. The guy seems like a Salafi to me. Funny how he talks about being a Sunni. They aren't Sunni. They are the only sect worthy of Takfeer for believing God has literal hands and literally sits on a throne. These Salafis...

-insert the f word- them.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 alim298
@poptart said:

The law is just cheap - it validates corporal punishment and an easy means to abstain from any remove any moral culpability. It's bet

@alim298 said:

The law is just weak - it validates corporal punishment and an easy means to absolve a person from any moral culpability. That's just poor really, bordering on saddening if it wasn't for this valium.

That's why not all Muslim scholars agree with it...

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

@alim298 said:
@poptart said:

@alim298 said:

That's why not all Muslim scholars agree with it...

That's good :) Because the ones who agree are wrong?

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 alim298

@poptart said:

That's good :) Because the ones who agree are wrong?

In my opinion, yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

This is why a secular society is best: It can deal with the failings of religious scripture because it is always evolving. I don't care if Muslims practice Sharia. So long as they follow the secular laws of a country first.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@alim298 said:

You can't speak for every Muslim scholar. You have no idea what all of them think. Still, that doesn't change the fact that it's morally wrong to prevent people who are a certain way from having a lifestyle that affects no one but themselves.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

lol Islam. Another outdated Abrahamic religion of love.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

This how a country where 95% of the population is Christian and 90% of that 95% is Catholic views homosexuality: gay marriage ? ----> LEGAL and the religion and it´s "laws" can go straight to hell.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

here is a more accurate depiction on how islam views homosexuality

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3146225/Thrown-deaths-ISIS-barbarians-gay-Men-pushed-head-fourth-storey-building-Islamists-latest-sickening-executions.html

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HoolaHoopMan

@alim298 said:

I can tell for certain that it's a cultural thing among them as I've not seen nor heard of any such things existing among other Muslim countries except Afghanistan personally.

You're kidding me, right? Your own prophet married and and consummated with an underage wife. The pinnacle of human excellence sure does enjoy some of the creepier things in life!

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 alim298

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@alim298 said:

I can tell for certain that it's a cultural thing among them as I've not seen nor heard of any such things existing among other Muslim countries except Afghanistan personally.

You're kidding me, right? Your own prophet married and and consummated with an underage wife. The pinnacle of human excellence sure does enjoy some of the creepier things in life!

And what am I supposed to do here?

Congratulate you on your ignorance?

There are many refutations to the what you're proposing but what good would all that do when you westerns' responses are always in the form of:

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA I'M NOT HEARING YOU LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

Get lost kid.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 alim298

@airshocker said:

You can't speak for every Muslim scholar. You have no idea what all of them think. Still, that doesn't change the fact that it's morally wrong to prevent people who are a certain way from having a lifestyle that affects no one but themselves.

Not trying to start a discussion but just pointing out a few facts:

Well you don't either and I think we both can agree that I'm more qualified than you to know that.

"who are a certain way" Science is yet to prove this.

"Affects no one but themselves" Science is yet to prove this also. Besides you should bear in mind that Islamic laws aren't simply about prohibiting others from doing what may harm others. If the man himself may be harmed by committing a certain act, then it's still not permissible for him to commit that act.

Again I'm not trying to start a discussion here. I'm just pointing out the two reasons many Muslim Scholars still don't consider homosexuality permissible.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HoolaHoopMan

@alim298 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@alim298 said:

There are many refutations to the what you're proposing but what good would all that do when you westerns' responses are always in the form of:

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA I'M NOT HEARING YOU LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

Get lost kid.

lol so good ol' Prophet Mo didn't marry an underage girl? Push that head of yours deeper into the sand, you're almost there!

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@airshocker said:

This is why a secular society is best: It can deal with the failings of religious scripture because it is always evolving. I don't care if Muslims practice Sharia. So long as they follow the secular laws of a country first.

I disagree here specifically due to the fact that Sharia law is a system that is prejudice and backwards.. We see shit like this in the United States when the government busts down a cult following in which we find out followers, specially women, were brainwashed into basically becoming slaves.. Or when we hear about some pretty terrible shit happening that comes out of the Amish community in which these things are all but covered up because they self govern themselves. They had a story about this very problem a few years back with the problem of sharia law being practiced by Muslims within Great Britain.. In which women were either intimidated or brainwashed to think that the only consultation for legal advice or marriage related things were these sharia institutions that heavily favors men rather than the actual legal system of Great Britain...

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MakeMeaSammitch

@alim298 said:
@airshocker said:

Well you don't either and I think we both can agree that I'm more qualified than you to know that.

"Affects no one but themselves" Science is yet to prove this also. Besides you should bear in mind that Islamic laws aren't simply about prohibiting others from doing what may harm others. If the man himself may be harmed by committing a certain act, then it's still not permissible for him to commit that act.

Again I'm not trying to start a discussion here. I'm just pointing out the two reasons many Muslim Scholars still don't consider homosexuality permissible.

http://www.livescience.com/50058-being-gay-not-a-choice.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5120004.stm

it's been proven.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@alim298 said:
@airshocker said:

I never said that I did. Just because you are a Muslim doesn't make you any more qualified than me to know how somebody feels about a certain matter.

Science has yet to prove what? Are you doubting the existence of homosexuality?

Science doesn't need to prove that homosexuality doesn't affect anybody but the homosexuals themselves. It's common sense. Just like me being heterosexual doesn't affect anybody. Just because someone is gay has absolutely no effect on you or me. How would somebody be harmed by being gay? If you're going to say HIV, please don't. You don't need to be gay to get HIV, as thousands of people have demonstrated.

What does it matter what Muslim scholars find to be permissible? It's still morally wrong to be against it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@sSubZerOo said:
@airshocker said:

I disagree here specifically due to the fact that Sharia law is a system that is prejudice and backwards.. We see shit like this in the United States when the government busts down a cult following in which we find out followers, specially women, were brainwashed into basically becoming slaves.. Or when we hear about some pretty terrible shit happening that comes out of the Amish community in which these things are all but covered up because they self govern themselves. They had a story about this very problem a few years back with the problem of sharia law being practiced by Muslims within Great Britain.. In which women were either intimidated or brainwashed to think that the only consultation for legal advice or marriage related things were these sharia institutions that heavily favors men rather than the actual legal system of Great Britain...

I'm not saying it's a good thing, I'm saying I don't really care if it's practiced so long as they're following our secular laws first and foremost.

I know that doesn't often happen, but I see no practical way of stopping a religious group from using their religious texts as "laws" within their social communities. It's the same problem with the Hasidics here in New York. They have their own religious police that intimidate and keep the rest of the Hasidics in line. There's nothing us local cops can do about it other than make it known that there's help available for people who want to leave those communities.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Religion of peas in guacamole

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts
@Aljosa23 said:

Religion of peas in guacamole

That's completely sacrilege!

kalloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kalloo
Member since 2006 • 218 Posts

@lamprey263: Man I haven't heard of pedarasty happening in my country. Its quite sad people refuse to progress. I mean I read an article the other day stating that 90% of Afghani women are physically, sexually, or mentally abused. What could possibly possess you as a man to do that to your wife? Worst part is that the women who do try to escape from their tortured life have very places to go. Their families return them to their in laws without so much as batting an eye.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MakeMeaSammitch

I'm confused, so homosexuality is bad, and pedophilia is ok?

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 raugutcon

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

I'm confused, so homosexuality is bad, and pedophilia is ok?

Well, apparently that´s the way it is.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

@alim298 said:

You lose all credibly when you chastise one group for saying something you think the other group is intellectual in saying. Stop the hypocrisy dude.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@alim298 said:

I believe catholic priests are saying its against the laws of their religion as well. Not out of hate either. But unfortunately most followers use it to foster hate.

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SamusBeliskner
Member since 2015 • 569 Posts

I still don't understand why anyone would care about the opinions of fools who literally believe in magic...

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By raugutcon

"You se the see the straw in your neighbor´s eye but fail to see the beam in yours" ( one of those quotes I learned when I was Catholic ) so here we have Catholic priests preaching against homosexuality when the Catholic church is known to be safe haven for pedophile priests to the point that some of it´s most important personalities, Maciel Marcial, founder of one of the most powerful Catholic institutions ( Christ´s Legionnaires ) was not only a pedophile but also acused legally of rape in multiple occasions; maybe priests should shut the **** off and cease to condemn.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 alim298

@LJS9502_basic said:

You lose all credibly when you chastise one group for saying something you think the other group is intellectual in saying. Stop the hypocrisy dude.

@sonicare said:

I believe catholic priests are saying its against the laws of their religion as well. Not out of hate either. But unfortunately most followers use it to foster hate.

Hmm. I think what I said prior was a bit over the top. Sorry.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@gwynnblade said:

What's in this thread?

Yes, same old 30 year old high school dropouts who not a decade ago used to suck on Mama Liberty's tits and now have discovered the 'rebelliousness' to challenge their own foundations - nothing new.

Homosexuality simply doesn't fit in an Islamic society. I don't care if they're given death penalty or not. If they don't fit in, they don't fit in. Simple as that. I'm not a brain farter who in his utopian dream tries to accommodate everyone and ultimately has to shove his own turds up his anus. The enlightened community on here isn't even worth fucking up your brain for.

You don't care if someone is given the death penalty because they're gay? You know what you've just said here, right? You have said that you don't care if someone is murdered simply because they have a different sexuality than you.

I can't even express in words how disgusted I am with you.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

Homophobia is an unofficial but key pillar of the abrahamic religions. This is nothing new, it's really what you would expect from any religion that comes from the sunstroked rantings of nomadic bronze age sheep ****ers.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
@airshocker said:
@gwynnblade said:

What's in this thread?

Yes, same old 30 year old high school dropouts who not a decade ago used to suck on Mama Liberty's tits and now have discovered the 'rebelliousness' to challenge their own foundations - nothing new.

Homosexuality simply doesn't fit in an Islamic society. I don't care if they're given death penalty or not. If they don't fit in, they don't fit in. Simple as that. I'm not a brain farter who in his utopian dream tries to accommodate everyone and ultimately has to shove his own turds up his anus. The enlightened community on here isn't even worth fucking up your brain for.

You don't care if someone is given the death penalty because they're gay? You know what you've just said here, right? You have said that you don't care if someone is murdered simply because they have a different sexuality than you.

It's incredibly ironic, isn't it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Hexagon_777 said:
@airshocker said:
@gwynnblade said:

What's in this thread?

It's incredibly ironic, isn't it?

Yes, and incredibly sad.

Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:
@alim298 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@alim298 said:

Get lost kid.

Face it, Muhammad was a child molester

You're probably just trolling, but I'll bite.

Firstly, with the caveat that getting a firm date for anything in 7th century except the most notable events is impossible, I'll say it's worth mentioning that there has been dispute about Aisha's age almost from the founding of Islam.

Wikipedia lists among it's sources for saying Aisha was 9-10 at consummation of her marriage al Tabari, yet that same scholar wrote elsewhere that,

“In the time before Islam, Abu Bakr married two women. The first was Fatila daughter of Abdul Uzza, from whom Abdullah and Asma were born. Then he married Umm Ruman, from whom Abdur Rahman and Aisha were born. These four were born before Islam.”

This would mean Aisha was at least three older, and possibly more, than Wikipedia listed for the date of consummation, as Islam started in 610 A.D. and Wikipedia says Aisha was born in 613 or 614 A.D.

The other Muslim source (and it's really the primary source for the western sources) they list for saying she was 6-7 at marriage and 9 at consummation are the Hadith collections by al-Bukhari, yet elsewhere al-Bukhari has her remembering her father fleeing to Ethiopia, which would have happened 5-6 years after Islam was began, if Wikipedia is right about her age she would have been only 2 years old when she had this memory, I don't remember any details of my life at that age, do you?

The Hadiths, especially the al-Bukhari Hadiths are highly respected for their authenticity, yet they are not considered infallible. They are works of scholarship, in this case Iranian scholarship that occurred hundreds of years after the events based on oral transmission.

To say it's an established historic fact Muhammad had sex with a pre-menstrual child is a lie. It is at best a disputed historic claim.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch

@Seiki_sands: 9-10 years old is still pedophilia

and there are sources other than wikipedia lol

Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@Seiki_sands: 9-10 years old is still pedophilia

and there are sources other than wikipedia lol

If you bothered to read what I wrote, or taken the time to comprehend it, you would know that it leads to the conclusion of a minimum 13-14, and possibly older.

The "other sources" primarily use the Hadith collections of al-Buckhari and the scholarship of al-Tabari, just like Wikipedia. Both of whom, as I wrote, contradicted their own work on the point. And both of whom were scholars hundreds years after the events, recording oral traditions among the arabs.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#44 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@airshocker said:
@gwynnblade said:

What's in this thread?

gwynnblade's post is pure filth. One of the worst posts ever written on OT.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@GreySeal9 said:
@airshocker said:
@gwynnblade said:

What's in this thread?

Seriously. For once I'm at a loss for words.

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gwynnblade
Member since 2015 • 931 Posts

@airshocker said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@airshocker said:
@gwynnblade said:

What's in this thread?

All the more pleasure to me. The more you hate me, the more I know I'm in the 'right'.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

gwynnblade said:

What's in this thread?

To quote Kent from Veep: I can't endorse this post but I acknowledge it lmao

You and alim have been on a roll lately. Us Muslim OTers are an insubordinate, eccentric bunch :3

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts
@Hexagon_777 said:

Interesting read. What say you, people of OT?

Good thing i don't live in some backward ass country that has religious laws.

Other than that.. don't care.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@gwynnblade said:
@airshocker said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@airshocker said:
@gwynnblade said:

What's in this thread?

All the more pleasure to me. The more you hate me, the more I know I'm in the 'right'.

You are a very troubled person if you believe innocent people should be murdered because of their sexuality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@GazaAli said:

gwynnblade said:

What's in this thread?

To quote Kent from Veep: I can't endorse this post but I acknowledge it lmao

You and alim have been on a roll lately. Us Muslim OTers are an insubordinate, eccentric bunch :3

And you...

You talk about being intelligent and enlightened. You should have been the first person to rebuke that post.

Yet you didn't. You sit here and make light of it.

Apparently circle jerking with your fellow Muslims is more important than being a decent human being.