murrica news of the day: state department spent over 600k on Facebook likes

• 139 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2532629

i wish i could make this up.. the state department bought 630k worth of facebook "likes" over the course of the past 2.5 years

'murrica

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
What the actual fvck.
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Can us normal folk buy Facebook likes too? My statuses aren't quite getting the recognition they deserve.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Can us normal folk buy Facebook likes too? My statuses aren't quite getting the recognition they deserve.bobcheeseball
ditto

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Good old Obama administration.
rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rocinante_
Member since 2012 • 1772 Posts

pfft, what's another 600k?

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

Never understand why people get so up in arms about these things. Your average CEO probably spends the same amount on the desk in his office. Large oganizations always have tons of wasteful spending.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#8 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Never understand why people get so up in arms about these things. Your average CEO probably spends the same amount on the desk in his office. Large oganizations always have tons of wasteful spending.BeardMaster

Because these are tax dollars. Government offices shouldn't really be spending on this type of astroturfing. In fact, it actually seems like a bit of a conflict of interest when a Government agency in a Democratic Republic starts advertising using tax dollars to push their agenda or even just to clean up their public image.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

.picard-facepalm-o.gif

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Never understand why people get so up in arms about these things. Your average CEO probably spends the same amount on the desk in his office. Large oganizations always have tons of wasteful spending.

BeardMaster
Because it's f*cking Facebook likes. You're right - $600,000 is an extremely tiny fraction of the budget, but it's still $600,000 that could have gone towards something more productive.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

BeardMaster

One of the, if not the most important task "your average CEO" has to accomplish well, is handling relations with other company heads. What do you think gives the better impression, an office with an inlaid wooden desk and victorian chairs or one with a cheap plastic table and junk plastic chairs?

What kind of rotten sawdust do you have between your ears to be able to think shit like that?

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

BeardMaster
Very simple. One, like m0zart said, is involving tax money.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

BeardMaster
Because a company doesn't use tax dollars to do so. The government is taking our money to spend on Facebook likes. There is an enormous difference. Plus, I think it is insanely unethical for the government to buy "likes" in an effort to make their image look better. The government isn't a company, so propaganda like this to make it seem like our government agencies are so loved seems very wrong.
maheo30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 maheo30
Member since 2006 • 5102 Posts
Can us normal folk buy Facebook likes too? My statuses aren't quite getting the recognition they deserve.bobcheeseball
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts
you can buy likes? wtf?
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="BeardMaster"]Never understand why people get so up in arms about these things. Your average CEO probably spends the same amount on the desk in his office. Large oganizations always have tons of wasteful spending.m0zart

Because these are tax dollars. Government offices shouldn't really be spending on this type of astroturfing. In fact, it actually seems like a bit of a conflict of interest when a Government agency in a Democratic Republic starts advertising using tax dollars to push their agenda or even just to clean up their public image.

Thank you for explaining. Thought this was common sense.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

#Hope

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#18 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Dont care, not my money, haha.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BeardMaster

[QUOTE="BeardMaster"]Never understand why people get so up in arms about these things. Your average CEO probably spends the same amount on the desk in his office. Large oganizations always have tons of wasteful spending.m0zart

everyone knows wasteful spending is bad, im simply pointing out thats its inevitable in any large and complex organisation. And frankly this is fairly small potatoes, ie nothing to a bee in your bonnet about.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#20 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

everyone knows wasteful spending is bad, im simply pointing out thats its inevitable in any large and complex organisation. And frankly this is fairly small potatoes, ie nothing to a bee in your bonnet about.BeardMaster

I think we are in the situation we are in because we don't get upset enough about it. So I can't agree.

I wish we had more bees for more bonnets. Some of you permanently Xanaxed folks, I might prefer they were implanted in your crotch region.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BeardMaster

[QUOTE="BeardMaster"]everyone knows wasteful spending is bad, im simply pointing out thats its inevitable in any large and complex organisation. And frankly this is fairly small potatoes, ie nothing to a bee in your bonnet about.m0zart

I think we are in the situation we are in because we don't get upset enough about it. So I can't agree.

I wish we had more bees for more bonnets. Some of you permanently Xanaxed folks, I might prefer they were implanted in your crotch region.

but the problem is whats the point of rabble rousing when there is no solution? its like saying we should prevent all crime, its a lovely concept but its impractical and frankly impossible. And it all comes down to a cost benefit analysis you can create more external auditing committees and increase the amount of red tape to try to avoid these scenarios, but that in itself costs money and all you are doing is creating yet another complex orgnization susceptible to wasteful spending.

The point im making is that there is no solution to this problem as generally speaking there is already a reasonable amount of oversight in place to avoid these types of issues, but there will always be things that slip through the cracks as perfection is an unattainable goal.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="BeardMaster"]everyone knows wasteful spending is bad, im simply pointing out thats its inevitable in any large and complex organisation. And frankly this is fairly small potatoes, ie nothing to a bee in your bonnet about.m0zart

What do you expect from the people who want more people who do not take responsibility for themselves? 

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BeardMaster

[QUOTE="BeardMaster"]

BMD004

Because a company doesn't use tax dollars to do so. The government is taking our money to spend on Facebook likes. There is an enormous difference. Plus, I think it is insanely unethical for the government to buy "likes" in an effort to make their image look better. The government isn't a company, so propaganda like this to make it seem like our government agencies are so loved seems very wrong.

thats kind of a catch 22. In order for it to be wasteful spending, facebook likes would need to have little to no value. But in order for it to be propaganda facebook likes must have a substantial value.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

[QUOTE="m0zart"]

[QUOTE="BeardMaster"]everyone knows wasteful spending is bad, im simply pointing out thats its inevitable in any large and complex organisation. And frankly this is fairly small potatoes, ie nothing to a bee in your bonnet about.BeardMaster

but the problem is whats the point of rabble rousing when there is no solution? its like saying we should prevent all crime, its a lovely concept but its impractical and frankly impossible. And it all comes down to a cost benefit analysis you can create more external auditing committees and increase the amount of red tape to try to avoid these scenarios, but that in itself costs money and all you are doing is creating yet another complex orgnization susceptible to wasteful spending.

The point im making is that there is no solution to this problem as generally speaking there is already a reasonable amount of oversight in place to avoid these types of issues, but there will always be things that slip through the cracks as perfection is an unattainable goal.

Yes indeed! Why do anything about this when we can't stop all of it? This is my favorite point against doing anything (doing stuff is hard) because it's been an incredibly effective argument.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BeardMaster

[QUOTE="BeardMaster"]

[QUOTE="m0zart"]

Serraph105

Yes indeed! Why do anything about this when we can't stop all of it? This is my favorite point against doing anything (doing stuff is hard) because it's been an incredibly effective argument.

This assumes that nothing is currently being done and there are no checks and balances in place, which is false. If there were literally no spending controls, the yacht and sports car budget would be in the billions.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Serraph105

[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

[QUOTE="BeardMaster"]

BeardMaster

This assumes that nothing is currently being done and there are no checks and balances in place, which is false. If there were literally no spending controls, the yacht and sports car budget would be in the billions.

You made the argument not me, I was merely agreeing with you. No need to backtrack,
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts
No accountability for politicians......
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Serraph105
No accountability for politicians......LJS9502_basic
I'm pretty sure that's in their oath of office right?
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="BeardMaster"]

JML897
Because it's f*cking Facebook likes. You're right - $600,000 is an extremely tiny fraction of the budget, but it's still $600,000 that could have gone towards something more productive.

100 different people could come up with 100 different places to put $600,000. The people in charge, who're trained for those positions, decided this was the best way. Next Week: People Judge NASA Scientists on their choice of elements in the next space shuttle.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"][QUOTE="BeardMaster"]

Nibroc420

100 different people could come up with 100 different places to put $600,000. The people in charge, who're trained for those positions, decided this was the best way.

Next Week: People Judge NASA Scientists on their choice of elements in the next space shuttle.

That latter bit is actually perfectly valid, if there are better ways of constructing the space shuttle, they really need to listen. If NASA was just squandering money, I'd like to know about it.

Anyway it seems like an attempt at propaganda, it's extremely inappropriate behavior out of them.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"][QUOTE="BeardMaster"]

Nibroc420

100 different people could come up with 100 different places to put $600,000. The people in charge, who're trained for those positions, decided this was the best way. Next Week: People Judge NASA Scientists on their choice of elements in the next space shuttle.

Yes Nibroc. I'm sure this was the best possible way for them to use $600,000.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="JML897"] Because it's f*cking Facebook likes. You're right - $600,000 is an extremely tiny fraction of the budget, but it's still $600,000 that could have gone towards something more productive. JML897

lol
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
The U.S. Government is so fvcked.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

The U.S. Government is so fvcked.chrisrooR

Hope and change! 

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#35 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Does this resemble propaganda to anyone else?
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Does this resemble propaganda to anyone else?BranKetra
goebbels would've loved facebook and twitter (sorry, mike godwin)
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#37 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Does this resemble propaganda to anyone else?MrPraline
goebbels would've loved facebook and twitter (sorry, mike godwin)

Yes, if he could successfully combat the constant influx of user interaction with those sites. I do not understand the apology.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

not like TC's country does any better

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts
quelle horreur
Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
Lmao, what.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

This is one of the dumber things I've seen in awhile.  

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts
*likes*
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="m0zart"]

[QUOTE="BeardMaster"]Never understand why people get so up in arms about these things. Your average CEO probably spends the same amount on the desk in his office. Large oganizations always have tons of wasteful spending.BeardMaster

everyone knows wasteful spending is bad, im simply pointing out thats its inevitable in any large and complex organisation. And frankly this is fairly small potatoes, ie nothing to a bee in your bonnet about.

GTFO commie.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#44 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
And yet the healthcare still sucks, is still so expensive it puts people in life time debt.. ridiculous how money can be spend on such stupid things.
LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

[QUOTE="bobcheeseball"]Can us normal folk buy Facebook likes too? My statuses aren't quite getting the recognition they deserve.ionusX

ditto

Try putting key words like, baby, engaged, or married in your posts.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

People mad about this?

600,000/3,538,000,000,000

.00000017% of the budget.

They probably spend 20 times this on wasted copy paper... Calm down.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts
you can buy likes? wtf?comp_atkins
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="JML897"] Because it's f*cking Facebook likes. You're right - $600,000 is an extremely tiny fraction of the budget, but it's still $600,000 that could have gone towards something more productive. JML897

Hey, the people who're trained to do spend such amounts of money, and have gone to school to study things which help them understand the decisions they make; have decided this is a good way to spend this amount if their budget. Excuse me if a couple gamers who're deciding to take a break from CoD or WoW decide to assume they're more educated and trained than the people currently employed to make those decisions. It's like when Idiots complain about a video game (that they buy anyways) because the developer didn't include X,Y,Z things, and "they" would have. if "Their" decisions were so superior, why are "they" not the ones making the decisions? Oh right, because no-one gives a ****.
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts
Yeah, reading this thread (and others) the responses so far and the media in the U.S., I don't think the U.S. is gonna pull a Brazil any time soon.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Hey, the people who're trained to do spend such amounts of money, and have gone to school to study things which help them understand the decisions they make; have decided this is a good way to spend this amount if their budget.

You honestly believe people in government have an education in finance or marketing? I bet they're glad you put your trust in them. I know a guy who does various clearances for government workers and agents. He told me it's amazing how few people are really qualified for their position but they're given the job and clearance anyway. The government likes to grant the "unemployables" (thick criminal records, etc.) jobs too because it keeps the unemployment rate down. And yeah it's not a huge percentage of the budget, but it is an intentional loss.