Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

You denied supporting it is actively participating in it, that's all. It is, of course, especially if one is aware what's happening but still supports it financially anyways. That makes us partially to blame, so if you are going to point fingers and call something shameful that you actively support, well, it just kind seems dishonest.

What do you mean "denied?" I'm not being intransigent, I simply don't agree that we're "actively involved" in this practice. You believe otherwise simply because you say so. That's where we are as far as our positions. You're also making a lot assumptions about what I'm purchasing. I admit to purchasing a Windows computer, but I don't remember saying that I knew any of this before the purchase or that I'll continue to purchase such products in spite of what I know. If, throughout this conversation, we're simply going to assume something about the other without a shred of evidence, why don't I just assume that you go around referring to Black people as the N-word and demand that you prove otherwise.

And there is at least one other member who condemns this practice as much as I do, and yet you're only engaging me. Why is this? I mean, It's almost like...I don't know...you care what I think or something.

You have the same culpability as the companies, after all, they aren't the ones actively enslaving these people are they? They are simply contracting out with a company in a foreign country for the cheapest price, and may or may not know the exact extent of the working conditions of the people actually building the products. Same as you buying these products...it's all a big cycle and if you support, your actively participating in it.

Regarding your last statement, that's just silly. It's a forum.

Anyways I'm sure you have waaaaay more products that have at some level been a product of a sweatshop somewhere in some 3rd world shit hole. And I'm sure this lowly windows computer you have certainly won't be the last either. Everything from TV's, cell phones, radios...forget it...not even going to list it all out. Heck, even stuff assembled in the US is almost certainly using PCB's from companies like (and especially) Foxconn since it's the worlds largest electronic contract manufacturer in the world.

We're going to get this out of the way once and for all before I respond to any of this because I just find this fascinating. What you are doing is unlike anything I've seen here. When I have an opinion on a issue and that opinion is shared by others, almost every member who disagrees with me goes after me as well as the others. You don't do that...like, at all. I know it's forum, which is why its strange that you've targeted me primarily for an opinion that shared by at least on other member.. Why is this?

Targeted you? I replied to you, you replied back to me, and it's been back and fourth since then. Maybe you have a persecution complex or something but I'm not targeting you heh.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Renevent42

@thebest31406 said:

@Master_Live said:

Well, if someone knew of these practices and still supported financially these companies by buying their products you could certainly argue that that person is "actively participating" in aiding and abetting (I know it isn't a criminal matter) said companies.

That person could always instead choose to boycott. But boycotting is a pain in the ass, isn't it (not that I'm above any of this).

How ever large or small one believes the average consumer's burden or responsibility should be, his/her burden is in no way symmetrical to that of state hierarchy that engineers and maintains these deals. It's like suggesting that the troops are as much to blame for the invasion of Iraq as the state that engineered it..

If the troops directly voted on in favor of the invasion of Iraq they would be as much to blame, which consequently is what someone is doing when they still purchase products knowing how they are made. You are voting with your wallet.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@Treflis said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Generally when inmates work they get paid.

True, but it is less then minimum wage. I did a little research before I replied cause I was unsure about how much they'd earn.

Came across this, from The Prison Index: Taking the Pulse of the Crime Control Industry (April 2003) by Peter Wagner, published by the Western Prison Project and the Prison Policy Initiative.

Prison labor in the states

• Minimum wage in the United States, in dollars per hour: $5.15
  • Average hourly rate paid at a prison camp in Nevada: $0.13
  • Maximum wage paid to prisoner workers in dollars per day in Georgia and Texas: $0
  • Most prisons that pay prisoners for work have a range of pay depending on the job. Average of the minimum wages for prisoners paid by the states, in dollars per day for non-industry work: $0.93
  • Average of the maximum wages paid to prisoners by the states, in dollars per day: $4.73
  • Lowest wage reported, in dollars per day, for prisoners working in private industry: $0.16

And? The taxpayers are paying for their living expenses. It's not like they have to support themselves on that money.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Treflis said:

True, but it is less then minimum wage. I did a little research before I replied cause I was unsure about how much they'd earn.

Came across this, from The Prison Index: Taking the Pulse of the Crime Control Industry (April 2003) by Peter Wagner, published by the Western Prison Project and the Prison Policy Initiative.

• Maximum wage paid to prisoner workers in dollars per day in Georgia and Texas: $0
  • Most prisons that pay prisoners for work have a range of pay depending on the job. Average of the minimum wages for prisoners paid by the states, in dollars per day for non-industry work: $0.93
  • Average of the maximum wages paid to prisoners by the states, in dollars per day: $4.73
  • Lowest wage reported, in dollars per day, for prisoners working in private industry: $0.16

Source.

A person who commits a crime deserves minimum wage? Are you kidding me? They deserve just enough money to help pay for their time in prison.

Eh... That would require a lot more than minimum wage I think.

@dylandr said:

@horgen: Atleast they are doing something!

I can't disagree with that.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

And? The taxpayers are paying for their living expenses. It's not like they have to support themselves on that money.

Yup. No rent, no utility bill, no grocery bill, no cable/internet bill. No need to pay for the gym either.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

@Renevent42 said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

You denied supporting it is actively participating in it, that's all. It is, of course, especially if one is aware what's happening but still supports it financially anyways. That makes us partially to blame, so if you are going to point fingers and call something shameful that you actively support, well, it just kind seems dishonest.

What do you mean "denied?" I'm not being intransigent, I simply don't agree that we're "actively involved" in this practice. You believe otherwise simply because you say so. That's where we are as far as our positions. You're also making a lot assumptions about what I'm purchasing. I admit to purchasing a Windows computer, but I don't remember saying that I knew any of this before the purchase or that I'll continue to purchase such products in spite of what I know. If, throughout this conversation, we're simply going to assume something about the other without a shred of evidence, why don't I just assume that you go around referring to Black people as the N-word and demand that you prove otherwise.

And there is at least one other member who condemns this practice as much as I do, and yet you're only engaging me. Why is this? I mean, It's almost like...I don't know...you care what I think or something.

You have the same culpability as the companies, after all, they aren't the ones actively enslaving these people are they? They are simply contracting out with a company in a foreign country for the cheapest price, and may or may not know the exact extent of the working conditions of the people actually building the products. Same as you buying these products...it's all a big cycle and if you support, your actively participating in it.

Regarding your last statement, that's just silly. It's a forum.

Anyways I'm sure you have waaaaay more products that have at some level been a product of a sweatshop somewhere in some 3rd world shit hole. And I'm sure this lowly windows computer you have certainly won't be the last either. Everything from TV's, cell phones, radios...forget it...not even going to list it all out. Heck, even stuff assembled in the US is almost certainly using PCB's from companies like (and especially) Foxconn since it's the worlds largest electronic contract manufacturer in the world.

We're going to get this out of the way once and for all before I respond to any of this because I just find this fascinating. What you are doing is unlike anything I've seen here. When I have an opinion on a issue and that opinion is shared by others, almost every member who disagrees with me goes after me as well as the others. You don't do that...like, at all. I know it's forum, which is why its strange that you've targeted me primarily for an opinion that shared by at least on other member.. Why is this?

Targeted you? I replied to you, you replied back to me, and it's been back and fourth since then. Maybe you have a persecution complex or something but I'm not targeting you heh.

So then, if that's the case, why try so hard to expose me as some sort of hypocrite or bad person? Why make erroneous assumptions about how I feel and what I know and then move the goalpost in several different directions when I provide answers to all of your claims? And why reserve all of this just for me? You're trying too hard, here and it's very obvious. Now, You can respond with the "it's forum" or "it's a free country" answers all you like but it really answer the question and I think you know that. All it tells us is what you have the freedom to do; it doesn't us why you're doing it.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Renevent42

You have a major persecution complex...your question is stupid and loaded. I didn't target you, and if you feel that well oh well but feelings aren't fact. If you don't want to continue the conversation that's fine by me. Talk about erroneous assumptions though...oh boy lol! I haven't moved any goal posts either, my arguments remain the same and consistent.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 thebest31406
@Renevent42 said:

You have a major persecution complex...your question is stupid and loaded. I didn't target you, and if you feel that well oh well but feelings aren't fact. If you don't want to continue the conversation that's fine by me. Talk about erroneous assumptions though...oh boy lol! I haven't moved any goal posts either, my arguments remain the same and consistent.

Loaded? Well, lemme refer you to one claim that you've made so that you can be a better idea of what I'm talking about.

I say; "I don't agree that you and I are actively involved."

You say; "Of course not, then you would have to come to terms with the fact that for all the finger pointing you do that you are part of the reason why it happens in the first place."

Why don't we start with that.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Renevent42

What about that? That's my main contention with your comments in the first place. Basically, you strongly point the finger calling companies/countries shameful yet don't seem to have the same condemnation for your own involvement. You support it as well, and in all likelihood you will continue supporting it through your purchases of items created using these practices.

Anything else?

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

What about that? That's my main contention with your comments in the first place. Basically, you strongly point the finger calling companies/countries shameful yet don't seem to have the same condemnation for your own involvement. You support it as well, and in all likelihood you will continue supporting it through your purchases of items created using these practices.

Anything else?

No, your previous statement suggests that I do indeed share your belief of our "shared culpability" with states/corporations, but refuse to admit it. Your reasoning? Because "I, personally", don't want to share the blame. It has nothing to do with my belief that our role isn't symmetrical with that of states/corporations. And it's certainly not because I don't want "the people" sharing the blame, because that would suggest that I'm some sort of "people person", which doesn't work for you - hence why you continue to use the terms "you" and "your" instead of "we" or "us". No, instead, you want to suggest that I refuse to admit that "I" am in the same league with these institutions because "I, personally" don't want be blamed for it. That's a hell of indictment of my character, don't you think?

EDIT: You still haven't answered the question as to why I'm receiving this honor.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Renevent42

Actually, yes, my statements suggest exactly what I said otherwise I wouldn't have said them. You can twist it all you like, or deflect with accusation of "targeting" or whatever...I think what I said is fairly plain.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

yeah... let's address this over the rampant endemic guard corruption, anal rape and shankings.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

Actually, yes, my statements suggest exactly what I said otherwise I wouldn't have said them. You can twist it all you like, or deflect with accusation of "targeting" or whatever...I think what I said is fairly plain.

Well, no, I don't think so. Here, let me show you again.

I say; "I don't agree that you and I are actively involved."

My opinion, and notice that I used the word "we're" not "I'm" or "you're"

You say; "Of course not, then you would have to come to terms with the fact that for all the finger pointing you do that you are part of the reason why it happens in the first place."

Basically suggesting that; I only claim to share that opinion so I don't have to deal with my (notice how it's still about me and not the population) shared blame with the institutions.

How do you know this?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Renevent42

I'm talking to you, silly. If you want to expand further sure, there's tons of people out there who fall into the same category. What's new? This is getting silly, I can see we still haven't moved past the persecution stuff lol.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

I'm talking to you, silly. If you want to expand further sure, there's tons of people out there who fall into the same category. What's new?

Well, I'm talking to you, too. But I want you to address this;

Basically suggesting that; I only claim to share that opinion so I don't have to deal with my (notice how it's still about me and not the population) shared blame with the institutions.

Again, how do you know that?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Renevent42

No, it doesn't suggest that you and only you could share that opinion and that no one else in the population could. It's a statement to you, but certainly not exclusionary and solely binding.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

No, it doesn't suggest that you and only you could share that opinion and that no one else in the population could. It's a statement to you, but certainly not exclusionary and solely binding.

How do you know that I only claim to share that opinion so I don't have to deal with my shared blame with the institutions?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Renevent42
@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

How do you know thaI only claim to share that opinion so I don't have to deal with my shared blame with the institutions?

ROFL! Seriously man, you've lost the plot.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 thebest31406
@Renevent42 said:
@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

How do you know thaI only claim to share that opinion so I don't have to deal with my shared blame with the institutions?

You're avoiding the question, which you often do. I say I don't agree that we are actively involved. How do you that's not something I believe in principle? What makes you suggest otherwise?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#70 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Obviously, people care, so healthy discussions about it ought to transpire.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 thebest31406

@BranKetra:

Exactly. This amateur troll is like, "you play a role in it so shut your mouth." You would have thought I created the topic.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By branketra

@thebest31406 said:

@BranKetra:

Exactly. This amateur troll is like, "you play a role in it so shut your mouth." You would have thought I created the topic.

I am not getting in the middle of that, but I will just say that the argument "and you, too!" is a tu quoque or an appeal to hypocrisy which is a logical fallacy.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 thebest31406

@BranKetra said:

@thebest31406 said:

@BranKetra:

I am not getting in the middle of that, but I will just say that the argument "and you, too!" is a tu quoque or appeal to hypocrisy is a logical fallacy.

Gee, thanks for that; they don't make you 'moderator' for nothing...*eye roll*

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 branketra

@thebest31406 said:

@BranKetra said:

@thebest31406 said:

@BranKetra:

I am not getting in the middle of that, but I will just say that the argument "and you, too!" is a tu quoque or appeal to hypocrisy is a logical fallacy.

Gee, thanks for that; they don't make you 'moderator' for nothing...*eye roll*

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Treflis said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Generally when inmates work they get paid.

Perhaps not but it does provide the private companies with very cheap labor if they can have 20 inmates work for 4.73$ per day, A total of 94,60$
Rather then 20 employees that get..say 6$ per hour for the same job and work 8 hour days. Giving them around 120$ each per day and a total of 960$
So if the Company can save 865,40$ per day by using Prison labor, Why would they rather have Employees doing that work instead?

It is merely my observation and while I'll admit I dislike that private companies can use Prison labor for their own benefit rather then the Inmates actually doing something to contribute to society as part of their punishement, I don't have a say in the matter and I frankly don't really care what you do with your inmates.

And @foxhound_fox I'm fairly certain it costs more then even minimum wage to pay for their time in prison considering they need to be feed, wash themselves and clothes, supply of pillows, bedsheets and matress, sewage cost, maintenance, medical supplies and such. I'd be surprised if 5,15$ cover more then the food and clothes for one inmate.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Renevent42

@thebest31406 said:
@Renevent42 said:
@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

You're avoiding the question, which you often do. I say I don't agree that we are actively involved. How do you that's not something I believe in principle? What makes you suggest otherwise?

I already answered the question...it in no way says that "you" only share that opinion. That's been covered like twice. You keep asking a question based on a false premise. Like I said, you've lost the plot man.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#77  Edited By dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@Renevent42: lets go before you get another useless rant

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Renevent42

@dylandr said:

Hehe...yeah I think it's run it's course as well.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

More companies should utilize this, that will eventually lead to cheaper services and merchandise with the same kind of quality, this could even benefit the poor people who so desperately struggle to get food on their tables.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

@thebest31406 said:
@Renevent42 said:
@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

I already answered the question...it in no way says that "you" only share that opinion. That's been covered like twice. You keep asking a question based on a false premise. Like I said, you've lost the plot man.

You implied that my attitude towards our collective blame wasn't genuine. I don't believe that our role as consumers is on par with the supreme power of the institution that orchestrate and maintain deals with the slave runners. We are not on par with them in terms of responsibility...in any regard. Now, you can say that I'm wrong or that you disagree, but to say that I'm disingenuous...there's no proof of that. Only a troll would make that sort of accusation.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Renevent42

/yawn...it's over dude.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

/yawn...it's over dude.

I understand that I've been successfully trolled and I'm willing to accept that. I haven't posted here in a while and thought "maybe I can start fresh with some of the known trolls and racists like Renevent." That was my mistake; I should have known better.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Renevent42

Interesting...sounds like more persecution complex stuff though. Maybe take another break and enjoy some tendies or something, re-assess how you feel and come back later.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

Interesting...sounds like more persecution complex stuff though. Maybe take another break and enjoy some tendies or something, re-assess how you feel and come back later.

Well, I don't what tendies are but...I'm just complimenting on your trolling. I'm just saying "well played." You got me good.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@dylandr said:

You are my best friend for using that gif. :3

I fucking loved watching Army of Darkness when I was a kid.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Renevent42

It's still holds today, even if the special effects look a little corny at times :P

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#87 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Haha. WTF happened in this thread?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Renevent42

Argument, followed by suggestion to enjoy tendies. Also, Army of Darkness reference.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@sonic_spark said:

@foxhound_fox said:

How does one "exploit" people who have a debt to repay to society?

Exactly. These companies are utilizing the man power in these facilities. I think it's a smart move. It's a hell of a better option than letting these guys rot in there without some contribution to society.

Prison labor is also voluntary

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 thebest31406

@GreySeal9 said:

Haha. WTF happened in this thread?

I've been trolled for the first time in a long time. It's my fault, I should have known better.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Renevent42

ROFL...the persecution complex persists. You weren't trolled.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

ROFL...the persecution complex persists. You weren't trolled.

loool yeah I was. It sucks but hey, live and learn.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Renevent42

I think at this point you've devolved into almost mentally trolling yourself. I really wasn't trolling you, sorry man.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

I think at this point you've devolved into almost mentally trolling yourself. I really wasn't trolling you, sorry man.

What really gets me is how early in the exchange you started; almost giving me a hint, from the beginning, of things to come. I guess that's what happens when you post for a while.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Renevent42
@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

What really gets me is how early in the exchange you started; almost giving me a hint, from the beginning, of things to come. I guess that's what happens when you post for a while.

There was no hint, that's all in your head. Seriously haha. Even with this caca-maney trolling stuff now, if you really believed that, why are you still posting? It's because you can't let it go, and it's a front. A farce. A ruse.

Like the song, just let it go. Let it go! Leeeet it goooo!

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:
@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

There was no hint, that's all in your head. Seriously haha. Even with this caca-maney trolling stuff now, if you really believed that, why are you still posting? It's because you can't let it go, and it's a front. A farce. A ruse.

Like the song, just let it go. Let it go! Leeeet it goooo!

Let it go? I'm giving you props for a job well done. You had the bait and bit it. More than that, I chomped it. I'm just saying, well done; you got me good? What's wrong with that?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Renevent42

I wasn't trolling you, there's nothing to thank me for. That's like getting a wedgie from someone and thanking them for adjusting your pants.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

I wasn't trolling you, there's nothing to thank me for.

I don't understand this. I mean, can you imagine if a famous DJ successfully prank called an individual at home, the individual gives the DJ respect for a prank well done, and then the DJ responds with a; "**** off, I didn't prank you." That's what you're doing now.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Renevent42

Except the DJ wasn't doing a prank call in this instance,and was simply was spinning some Led Zepplin records. Then this weird guy is insisting he's doing prank calls and thanking him for it...and the DJ tries explaining he's not...like 15 times. It's more like that.

But hey, maybe if you say it enough times even you will believe it.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

Except the DJ wasn't doing a prank call in this instance,and was simply was spinning some Led Zepplin records. Then this weird guy is insisting he's doing prank calls and thanking him for it...and then the DJ says he's not...like 15 times. It's more like that.

No, it's more like my scenario.