Man who beheaded Greyhound Passenger, roams free

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@WhiteKnight77 said:

If someone is found to be mentally incompetent to stand trial for a heinous act such as that, they should be kept in a mental hospital for the rest of their natural life, no matter how much they appear to get better. John Hinckley should not be getting weekend passes home or be released, ever.

That very much defeats the purpose of handling the situation with mental health professionals and attempting to solve the problem.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

@kod said:
@WhiteKnight77 said:

If someone is found to be mentally incompetent to stand trial for a heinous act such as that, they should be kept in a mental hospital for the rest of their natural life, no matter how much they appear to get better. John Hinckley should not be getting weekend passes home or be released, ever.

That very much defeats the purpose of handling the situation with mental health professionals and attempting to solve the problem.

If they are in a hospital, they will continue with sessions and treatments.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@WhiteKnight77 said:
@kod said:
@WhiteKnight77 said:

No shit? Wow, i really didnt get that before i made my comment, thanks for clearing that up!

I change text to purple to indicate sarcasm right? Meh, not sure how to do that here. Dont you claim to be a fiscal conservative? or at least concerned with the cost of things?

@WhiteKnight77 said:

There are parents that will still state that their child (no matter the age) was a good kid even when shown evidence otherwise.

That is because "being good" is subjective and (im a bit shocked i have to say this to an adult) quite frankly, life is far more complicated than simply labeling people as good or bad.

@WhiteKnight77 said:

The "I don't know what happened" excuse is just that, an excuse.

No, its them being honest.

They often do not know what happened because they have a different view of the person than you do. This is where the whole "lifes more complicated than that" comes into play. To you its a handful of true or false events on a piece of paper and then you're left to judge someone on that. To them, its a human being they've raised or grown up with and seen every emotion and possibility out of them. They've seen them do bad tings but they've also seen them do very good things or be loving parents or loving brothers or caring people.

Avatar image for smearygoose1768
SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By SmearyGoose1768
Member since 2016 • 297 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@Quicksilver128 said:

@perfect_blue: He took another mans life in a brutal and horrific fashion. He deserves death and nothing more.

Have you ever experienced schizophrenia? Do you even understand the extent of the illness and what it does to the human mind?

Yeah I was fighting off imaginary dogs when I was in jail. When you have it and you're off meds reality becomes a delusion and you're prone to be violent because your minds puts you in a state which a lot of the times feel like you have to fight for your life.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@perfect_blue said:
@sSubZerOo said:
@MrGeezer said:

1) I see no reason why the guy should continue to be locked up if he's not a danger to himself or others (as long as he's taking his medication).

2) Considering what happened when the guy wasn't on medication, he SHOULD be monitored to ensure that he continues to take his medication.

So you would have no problem having this guy around a loved one? The act alone pretty much should guarantee he be in a mental ward for the rest of his natural life to ensure he gets the help and medication he needs.

This is just fear mongering and an appeal to emotion. The facts are that 5% of patients on this review board go on to re-offend... which is way lower than the general criminal population. Manitoba law dictates they are not allowed to keep him away any longer because he doesn't pass the legal threshold for being a threat to himself or others.

False equivalency.. 99%+ of those patients have committed crimes or the like coming no where near to this kind of level of brutality and depravity.... Ok lets say he has a 5% chance of relapsing.. For others relapsing its possibly assaulting some one or committing suicide.. For this guys case its beheading some one and eating them.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

@sSubZerOo: Yeah and he should be held accountable to keep taking his medication which I'm sure that they will do however locking him up isn't the answer.

You can't monitor someone every day to see if they take their meds....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 deactivated-59d151f079814

@WhiteKnight77 said:
@kod said:
@WhiteKnight77 said:

Furthermore ffs people stop comparing mental ward to the equivlent of "being locked up" in prison.. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING, stop trying to act like they are.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#108 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: They don't have to monitor him every day.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 WhiteKnight77

@sSubZerOo said:
@WhiteKnight77 said:
@kod said:
@WhiteKnight77 said:

Furthermore ffs people stop comparing mental ward to the equivlent of "being locked up" in prison.. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING, stop trying to act like they are.

I never stated that the two were equivalent to each other. People diagnosed with mental disorders after the commission of a crime, especially one as heinous as the one in this thread means said person should be kept in said hospital. That has been my assertion from the get go.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 deactivated-59d151f079814

@WhiteKnight77 said:
@sSubZerOo said:
@WhiteKnight77 said:
@kod said:
@WhiteKnight77 said:

I never stated that the two were equivalent to each other. People diagnosed with mental disorders after the commission of a crime, especially one as heinous as the one in this thread means said person should be kept in said hospital. That has been my assertion from the get go.

No I was more adding on to your statement, I wasn't trying to assert that you specifically said that.. More pointing towards other posters who did. Apologies for not being clear enough.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 WhiteKnight77

@sSubZerOo said:
@WhiteKnight77 said:
@sSubZerOo said:
@WhiteKnight77 said:
@kod said:

No I was more adding on to your statement, I wasn't trying to assert that you specifically said that.. More pointing towards other posters who did. Apologies for not being clear enough.

It's all good. I wasn't sure if we were on the same page or not with that so I wanted to clarify myself.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 LJS9502_basic

@Archangel3371 said:

@LJS9502_basic: They don't have to monitor him every day.

And therein is the problem. If he skips his meds....he's a danger.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#113  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: What I'm saying is that they don't have to monitor someone every single day to make sure they are taking their medication. Anyway they are the professionals and the ones who have treated him and know what's going on with the situation so I trust they made the right and fair decision.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#114 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

@perfect_blue said:

1. He was deemed not criminally responsible because he's a schizophrenic.

2. The experts and doctors who have treated him for the past 8 years believe he is okay now. This is why we have experts and review boards.

3. Canada has a low recidivism rate. "Rates of violent acts among review board patients is very low — around [the] five per cent mark — much, much less than the general criminal population," he said.

exactly

In the US, we have incredibly poor mental health care so we see crazies doing, well, crazy shit all the time and basically getting released and roaming free. We assume this is how it is in the rest of the world.

It's not; in the rest of the world, they actually take care of their people. So, as you said, if they treated him, medicated him, and found him to be an acceptable risk to release back into the public then that's fine.

You people make it sound like Canada is releasing some dangerous government experiment on the general public; they're not, this is a sick man who was treated, made better, and deserves to go home. I suppose we should lock up cured Ebola patients because they had Ebola? Same freaking difference.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@perfect_blue said:

1. He was deemed not criminally responsible because he's a schizophrenic.

2. The experts and doctors who have treated him for the past 8 years believe he is okay now. This is why we have experts and review boards.

3. Canada has a low recidivism rate. "Rates of violent acts among review board patients is very low — around [the] five per cent mark — much, much less than the general criminal population," he said.

exactly

In the US, we have incredibly poor mental health care so we see crazies doing, well, crazy shit all the time and basically getting released and roaming free. We assume this is how it is in the rest of the world.

It's not; in the rest of the world, they actually take care of their people. So, as you said, if they treated him, medicated him, and found him to be an acceptable risk to release back into the public then that's fine.

You people make it sound like Canada is releasing some dangerous government experiment on the general public; they're not, this is a sick man who was treated, made better, and deserves to go home. I suppose we should lock up cured Ebola patients because they had Ebola? Same freaking difference.

Schizophrenia isn't curable. He will have relapses. That's a fact.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 LJS9502_basic

@mrbojangles25: In order to maintain he has to continue to take meds. That doesn't always happen and it has nothing to do with the country he's in.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 mrbojangles25

@n64dd: fair enough, and you're right, it's not curable (but treatable).

I just don't like all the people making it out like he is a criminal. The guy obviously has to take his meds or he is a danger, so the only guarantee is to put him in some sort of facility, but I don't think it is fair to classify him as a criminal since he is about as mentally ill as they come.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By WhiteKnight77

@mrbojangles25 said:

I just don't like all the people making it out like he is a criminal. The guy obviously has to take his meds or he is a danger, so the only guarantee is to put him in some sort of facility, but I don't think it is fair to classify him as a criminal since he is about as mentally ill as they come.

And that has been my assertion regarding this guy, and others like him, all along.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@WhiteKnight77 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

And that has been my assertion regarding this guy, and others like him, all along.

I don't think he should be free to roam the streets. I think he should always be in the proper care.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 WhiteKnight77

@n64dd said:
@WhiteKnight77 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I don't think he should be free to roam the streets. I think he should always be in the proper care.

We are on the same page dude.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By mrbojangles25

@WhiteKnight77 said:
@n64dd said:
@WhiteKnight77 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

We are on the same page dude.

yeah.

but, idunno...special outings should be allowed. Supervised work release? Something like that. There has to be a middle ground.

Othrerwise, yes, I agree with the above statement

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#123 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

I remember reading a story where a mentally ill woman killed her child. Not long after, she was roaming around free, with her other child.