Man dies after gaming for 3 days straight.

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

A 32-year-old Taiwanese man has died after a three-day gaming binge at an Internet cafe in the island's south, the second such case this year, a report said on Saturday.

The man, identified by his family name Hsieh, was found slumped motionless in his chair in the cafe in Kaohsiung city.

Other patrons initially thought he was sleeping, but when an employee realised he was not breathing he was rushed to hospital, where he was pronounced dead, the Taipei Times reported.

Doctors confirmed he had suffered cardiac failure, ruling it a "sudden death" from prolonged computer gaming, the report said.

The case came after a 38-year-old man was found dead at an Internet cafe in New Taipei City on January 1 following five days straight of video game binging.

Police said in both cases other patrons appeared nonchalant about the deaths, continuing playing even when tables were cordoned off for investigators to gather evidence.

Source.

Was he a Gamespot poster!?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

China has special detention centers set up for youths addicted to gaming. Saw a documentary on it: incredibly sad actually.

Edit: Here it is here.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Half of me feels sad that things like this happen, but the other half is itching to make a joke about credits and continues...

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

Boy, sometimes it feels like I can get rather addicted to gaming, but that's nothing compared to this. Not being able to stop after 3 days straight? Sounds like a ridiculously high level of uncontrollable addiction.

Well, still am sad that he died though, may he rest in peace.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

@Toph_Girl250 said:

Boy, sometimes it feels like I can get rather addicted to gaming, but that's nothing compared to this. Not being able to stop after 3 days straight? Sounds like a ridiculously high level of uncontrollable addiction.

So, two days tops for ya?

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Toph_Girl250

@loco145 said:

@Toph_Girl250 said:

So, two days tops for ya?

No, Definitely am pretty positive that I've never been glued to a computer/gaming console/gaming handheld, for more than I'd say about 10 - 12 hours. (very very most maybe 15 hours.) And even then, I think I also did have the motivation to eat least grab a quick snack a few times, and of course, bathroom breaks.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

He died happy and that´s all that counts.

mohit9206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mohit9206
Member since 2012 • 72 Posts

@raugutcon:

Truly.

Dying while gaming is the next best thing after dying while having sex.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Motokid6 said:

We're all guilty of binge gaming.

Longest I've gamed without getting up for water, bathroom break or walk around the room was 2 hours and never did more than 8 total hours a day.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

Litsen everyone do your body a favor and just get up every few hours. Stretch. Get a drink of water. Eat. Move. Then go back to the video games. It'll save your life.

I'm pretty sure sitting for long period of times is bad for you regardless of what you're doing. But yeah, I agree and I'm a little guilty of sitting for hours playing games but I'm trying to kick the habit.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

people were probably nonchalant because this has happened a number of times

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

May he R.I.P., but really, who plays games for that long without breaks? Also who plays a game for more than 12 hours even? That's half a day wasted!!! I struggle to get more than 4 hours in nowadays.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

it's really weird that some people manage to do such a thing if you think about it. i know that they're addicted but still..

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

@loco145 said:
"sudden death" from prolonged computer gaming

That's a very american way of writing news

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

He couldn't pause the game for 30 minutes to get something to eat or whatever?

Jeez.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Wonder what game was it. Video games can be time consuming when trying to beat it 100%

joe_b1_kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 joe_b1_kenobi
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts

@playmynutz: He was in an internet cafe so I'm guessing it was an mmo of some kind.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

This guy obviously doesn't didn't have a life outside gaming.

I how it was a good game and not some crappy FPS.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

That's just messed up. The new year has barely passed the mid-month mark of its first month and two such cases already occurred. I wonder whether that's a mere coincidence or whether it is an indication that the number will potentially rise significantly by the end of the year.

I almost envy people with addiction these days; I wouldn't mind the escape right now. Seriously though, why would someone do that to themselves? I understand that addiction can be a tough problem to deal with and that it can take different shapes with psychological addiction being at times just as morbid as its chemical counterpart but still, one can be as addicted as one can possibly be to such a thing as gaming and not have to die of cardiac failure because of an insanely prolonged gaming binge. I mean 3 days? 5 days? Why just why...

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@GazaAli said:

I almost envy people with addiction these days; I wouldn't mind the escape right now.

Get DA I , real defination of most addicting game currently, u can't put it down lol. 100 Hrs is minimum =P

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GazaAli

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

I almost envy people with addiction these days; I wouldn't mind the escape right now.

Get DA I , real defination of most addicting game currently, u can't put it down lol. 100 Hrs is minimum =P

Never been the avid RPG fan. I also tried the first DA and didn't like it which further proves my point. Besides I wouldn't be able to play it as I sold my gaming PC quite the while ago :/

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 indzman

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

Never been the avid RPG fan. I also tried the first DA and didn't like it which further proves my point. Besides I wouldn't be able to play it as I sold my gaming PC quite the while ago :/

Damn, you play on consoles atm or no gaming at all ? Why sold your gaming PC ???

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Guess the game was an MMO ....

Addicted ppl are ...loser!

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GazaAli

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

Damn, you play on consoles atm or no gaming at all ? Why sold your gaming PC ???

I no longer play games and it seems I won't be ever going back to doing that. My PSU got fried and I couldn't afford to replace it at the time so I had to sold the PC before time would render it obsolete and it loses all of its value. Who knows maybe I'd resume that hobby one day if I ever had the time and the money simultaneously.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By indzman

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

I no longer play games and it seems I won't be ever going back to doing that. My PSU got fried and I couldn't afford to replace it at the time so I had to sold the PC before time would render it obsolete and it loses all of its value. Who knows maybe I'd resume that hobby one day if I ever had the time and the money simultaneously.

Oh, i understand. I got my GPU, consoles fried also in past ( out of warranty also ). Know the feel and the cost of replacing em. But if you feel bored or under pressure gaming can help you relax you a lot, or other viable and better alternatives are also there as watching a good movie/anime or going out with freinds :)

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GazaAli

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

Oh, i understand. I got my GPU, consoles fried also in past ( out of warranty also ). Know the feel and the cost of replacing em. But if you feel bored or under pressure gaming can help you relax you a lot, or other viable and better alternatives are also there as watching a good movie/anime or going out with freinds :)

Yea right now anime and movies/series are my main forms of entertainment, with anime providing a more relaxing escape than movies/shows.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 indzman

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

Yea right now anime and movies/series are my main forms of entertainment, with anime providing a more relaxing escape than movies/shows.

Lucky you, i never watched any animes or read any manga, always hearing good things about em the way you guys talks abt it in anime forum. Grew up watching cartoons and comics only :(

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GazaAli

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

Lucky you, i never watched any animes or read any manga, always hearing good things about em the way you guys talks abt it in anime forum. Grew up watching cartoons and comics only :(

Well its never too late. Hop on in and start watching.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By indzman

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

@GazaAli said:

Well its never too late. Hop on in and start watching.

Sure. keeping an eye out on anime thread and recommendations. Seems you, davillain and top-_lel have seen all the best animes out there :)

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

he was probably playing some worthless f2p moba trash anyways.....(LOL or SMITE)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The death was not caused by gaming. It was caused by sleep deprivation. He was probably downing energy drinks like water.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Toph_Girl250

@foxhound_fox said:

The death was not caused by gaming. It was caused by sleep deprivation. He was probably downing energy drinks like water.

I avoid energy drinks like the plague, not sure why, but something about them... just never feels right to me, if I were to think about attempting to drink one.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 foxhound_fox

@Toph_Girl250 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I avoid energy drinks like the plague, not sure why, but something about them... just never feels right to me, if I were to think about attempting to drink one.

They are rarely any different than a strong coffee (i.e. a latte with extra espresso shot or a really strongly made pot of coffee). I've done enough research to consider them "safe" for my consumption in the sense of them being a very strong caffeinated beverage. So I'll have ONE when I am absolutely desperate for a boost, but never would I make it a routine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@foxhound_fox: The problem is that a lot of people who do drink energy drinks do so like it's orange juice "heh, I'm already on my 5th red bull"

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#42 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

That is not a good thing to do, it should be when you need it to get back in the game, not drink it constantly.O_o

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By foxhound_fox
@korvus said:

@foxhound_fox: The problem is that a lot of people who do drink energy drinks do so like it's orange juice "heh, I'm already on my 5th red bull"

Honestly, at that point, it's survival of the fittest. Caffeine has been known to cause severe cardiac problems in high doses, even death by cardiac arrest. People are taking their own lives into their hands when drinking them like water.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@foxhound_fox: Yep, I stay away from everything with caffeine (will drink coke once in a blue moon though). If I'm exhausted and really need to get something done I push on...if I can't stay awake without help then I go to sleep, even if it's just for an hour.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

And I thought five hours was too much. No wait, it's still too much.

Damn Minecraft.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Toph_Girl250 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

They are rarely any different than a strong coffee (i.e. a latte with extra espresso shot or a really strongly made pot of coffee). I've done enough research to consider them "safe" for my consumption in the sense of them being a very strong caffeinated beverage. So I'll have ONE when I am absolutely desperate for a boost, but never would I make it a routine.

When I was working nights I knew a guy that would down three large cans of Monster in a single evening.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Toph_Girl250

@korvus said:

@foxhound_fox: Yep, I stay away from everything with caffeine (will drink coke once in a blue moon though). If I'm exhausted and really need to get something done I push on...if I can't stay awake without help then I go to sleep, even if it's just for an hour.

Do all sodas have caffeine? Like you its not very often I drink soda, but when I do its usually orange soda. Not sure if that still has caffeine.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By foxhound_fox
@Storm_Marine said:

When I was working nights I knew a guy that would down three large cans of Monster in a single evening.

How has he not died of a heart attack yet?

@Toph_Girl250 said:

@korvus said:

Do all sodas have caffeine? Like you its not very often I drink soda, but when I do its usually orange soda. Not sure if that still has caffeine.

No. Brown ones usually do (Pepsi, Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc) and others like Mountain Dew, but most are about a third of a cup of coffee (35-55 mg per 355ml). Depending on the brand, you could probably find more caffeine in some black teas.

Most energy drinks have 150-160 mg of caffeine (usually in a 473 ml can) and some other stimulants like guarana (which is also a source of caffeine). All in all, most energy drinks have as much caffeine as coffee in the same amount of volume (unless it's espresso).

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Very sad...

Ashbee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points