man anal probed by police/doctors repeatedly over stop sign

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Saw this in the news. A guy was leaving a Walmart when he didn't stop fully at a stop sign, or that was the pretense of the police stop. Police then ordered him out of the car (unusual for a stop sign stop), sent a dog to sniff his car, claims the dog smelled something on the seat (I hear police can and often do just give a slight tug of the leash to make the dogs act like they found something), and police claim he was clenching his butt cheeks so they asked for a warrant to conduct a cavity search, which they got.

Well they take the man to the hospital nearby, who refused to do the cavity search for ethical reasons. They then travel to a neighboring county and conduct the cavity search at the hospital there, against his will, and for 14 hours he had to endure 8 different tests including rectal exams with their fingers, 2 x-rays, 3 enemas, a colonoscopy (surgery!). They found nothing.

Here's the kicker, after they let him go, the hospital billed the man for all the tests that he did not authorize and was adamantly against, and now the hospital is badgering him to pay or threatening to send him to collections.

Suit claims police forced New Mexico man to undergo repeated and humiliating anal probes to search for drugs

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/11/05/suit-claims-police-forced-new-mexico-man-to-undergo-repeated-and-humiliating-anal-probes-to-search-for-drugs/

There's also a nice video linked at the bottom of the article for the TLDR challenged.

Anyhow, the guy is suing in federal court over this, I think he has a good case. I wouldn't stop at the police though, I'd sue the hospital for repeatedly testing him against his will, sue those doctors into the ground. As far as the police are concerned, they did get a search warrant to conduct a search, but it was vague and had a deadline of 10PM, and was limited to the county that he was stopped in, not the one they took him to.

Geez, what a world we live in.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

"I hear police can and often do just give a slight tug of the leash to make the dogs act like they found something" stop reading after this.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lamprey263

@SaintLeonidas said:

"I hear police can and often do just give a slight tug of the leash to make the dogs act like they found something" stop reading after this.

I added that, but it appears the drug sniffing dog wasn't detecting drugs, because ultimately he didn't have them, and yes I've heard the dogs can easily be manipulated in order to justify search warrants.

You shouldn't disregard this entire story because you dislike my write-up, there's still the link and the video if you take issue with it.

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

It's actually true, it's not a tug though. The police tell the dogs to "Check here" or have a command that is not obvious to the civilian and they can act after they get the dog to set them up. It's a smart technique to catch baddies but is insanely easy to manipulate and use for your own personal gain. It's used in this video:

The dog trick part starts at 3:00 and ends at 4:10.

Loading Video...

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Jeez, if those cops were that desperate, there's Craigslist for that kind of thing,

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Good god that title made me laugh hard.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Saw this in the news. A guy was leaving a Walmart when he didn't stop fully at a stop sign, or that was the pretense of the police stop. Police then ordered him out of the car (unusual for a stop sign stop), sent a dog to sniff his car, claims the dog smelled something on the seat (I hear police can and often do just give a slight tug of the leash to make the dogs act like they found something), and police claim he was clenching his butt cheeks so they asked for a warrant to conduct a cavity search, which they got.

Well they take the man to the hospital nearby, who refused to do the cavity search for ethical reasons. They then travel to a neighboring county and conduct the cavity search at the hospital there, against his will, and for 14 hours he had to endure 8 different tests including rectal exams with their fingers, 2 x-rays, 3 enemas, a colonoscopy (surgery!). They found nothing.

Here's the kicker, after they let him go, the hospital billed the man for all the tests that he did not authorize and was adamantly against, and now the hospital is badgering him to pay or threatening to send him to collections.

Suit claims police forced New Mexico man to undergo repeated and humiliating anal probes to search for drugs

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/11/05/suit-claims-police-forced-new-mexico-man-to-undergo-repeated-and-humiliating-anal-probes-to-search-for-drugs/

There's also a nice video linked at the bottom of the article for the TLDR challenged.

Anyhow, the guy is suing in federal court over this, I think he has a good case. I wouldn't stop at the police though, I'd sue the hospital for repeatedly testing him against his will, sue those doctors into the ground. As far as the police are concerned, they did get a search warrant to conduct a search, but it was vague and had a deadline of 10PM, and was limited to the county that he was stopped in, not the one they took him to.

anal probing must be part of mandatory obama care. "it's the law. you have to have one"

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@norm41x: OMG, you mean the cop was directing the dog to points of the car that might have been touched by illegal substances or the guys hands? NO WAY! I bet you think they should just let the dog off the leash and say "go at it!"...

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Makhaidos

@buccomatic said:

@lamprey263 said:

anal probing must be part of mandatory obama care. "it's the law. you have to have one"

I can see it being a necessary procedure. Some people need help digging their head out of their ass.

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

@norm41x: OMG, you mean the cop was directing the dog to points of the car that might have been touched by illegal substances or the guys hands? NO WAY! I bet you think they should just let the dog off the leash and say "go at it!"...

LYK OMG YEZ!

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 buccomatic

@Makhaidos said:

@buccomatic said:

@lamprey263 said:

I can see it being a necessary procedure. Some people need help digging their head out of their ass.

queue one up for the president then.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Makhaidos

@buccomatic said:

@Makhaidos said:

@buccomatic said:

@lamprey263 said:

Considering his age and position, he's probably already had several.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By buccomatic

@Makhaidos said:

@buccomatic said:

@Makhaidos said:

@buccomatic said:

@lamprey263 said:

Considering his age and position, he's probably already had several.

true. but still mandatory. "everyone must buy healthcare" to get mandatory anal probe. his law, not mine.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

The way police get a false positive is by enticing the dog via playful tone, or actions.

It's a pretty easy concept to do. The dog likes it handler, and thus wants to satisfy the handler by doing what the handler wants. I was shown how to do it.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fightingfan

@SaintLeonidas said:

The handler isn't even suppose to do that. He's suppose to walk around the vehicle as if he was simply walking with a normal dog. The dogs I've worked with sit when they smell something, and stay seated even if you continue to walk around the vehicle. That's a true positive.

Too bad dogs are legal. Better hope they don't invent x-ray glasses for LEOs.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lamprey263

when I was reading this story out loud to my family I remember saying to them something like "jeez, this could only get worse if they billed him for all those invasive procedures"... then I watched the video

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

The way things are, the cops will get a paid suspension. They should be jailed and gang raped in prison.

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

I thought the topic title said with stop sign, I thought that sounded painful.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Well this has never and would never happen in the dump that is Gaza. I'm not sure what that says about the U.S.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

@GazaAli said:

Well this has never and would never happen in the dump that is Gaza. I'm not sure what that says about the U.S.

I'm pretty sure more effed up shit happened in Gaza at some point

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@chaplainDMK said:

@GazaAli said:

Certainly yes I'm in no way in a place to argue with that. I was getting at how this is quite absurd to happen in a state like the U.S.

dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dominer
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

Cops will probably get a paid vacation.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 chaplainDMK

@GazaAli said:

@chaplainDMK said:

@GazaAli said:

Certainly yes I'm in no way in a place to argue with that. I was getting at how this is quite absurd to happen in a state like the U.S.

Yea it was pretty insane, to think they actually took him to another state and that so many people went along with it, pretty absurd.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lamprey263

@dominer said:

Cops will probably get a paid vacation.

you're probably right about that, this will take months or well over a year to "investigate", meanwhile they'll be collecting paychecks

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#26 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts

Yes... because it's your anus' fault!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Damn, free colonoscopy AND he's gonna get paid from the lawsuit. Dude made off like a bandit.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chaplainDMK

@thegerg:

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

Uhm... studies have been conducted that affirm this very thing.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=ce270d38103a630c3181db372a25a052&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fboards.straightdope.com%2Fsdmb%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D707091&v=1&libId=cc52f4a1-09d1-4e42-a87d-89382f023adc&out=http%3A%2F%2Flink.springer.com%2Farticle%2F10.1007%252Fs10071-010-0373-2&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fboards.straightdope.com%2Fsdmb%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D707091%26page%3D2&title=Clenching%20your%20buttocks%20during%20a%20Terry%20stop%3F%20Prepare%20for%20your%20anal%20probing.%20-%20Straight%20Dope%20Message%20Board&txt=http%3A%2F%2Flink.springer.com%2Farticle%2F10....071-010-0373-2&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13839473745286

In order to evaluate effects of handler beliefs and expectation on detection dog performance, this study measured performance of 18 handler/dog teams in four separate search areas (NULL, MARKED NULL, UNMARKED DECOY, MARKED DECOY, described in “Materials and methods”). Each team ran each search area twice, for a total of 36 runs per condition (2 runs/team × 18 teams) and an overall total of 144 separate runs (4 search areas × 2 runs/team/area × 18 teams) (Fig. 1).

The goals of this study were to (1) identify whether handler beliefs affect detection handler/dog team performance and (2) evaluate relative importance of dog versus human inputs on those beliefs. To test this, we influenced handler beliefs and evaluated subsequent handler/dog team performance according to handler-identified alerts. The overwhelming number of incorrect alerts identified across conditions confirms that handler beliefs affect performance. Further, the directed pattern of alerts in conditions containing a marker compared with the pattern of alerts in the condition with unmarked decoy scent suggests that

human influence on handler beliefs affects alerts to a greater degree than dog influence on handler beliefs.

That is, total number of alerts identified by handlers did not differ across conditions. However, distribution of these alerts did differ across conditions; more alerts were identified on target locations indicated by human suggestion (paper marker) than on locations indicated by increased dog interest (hidden sausage and tennis balls).

So yeah, it turns out that if the cop suspects something, it's likely that the dog will give the alert signal as a reaction to his handler.

By the way, the warrant was not only NOT valid where the forced procedures were done, BUT they continued for hours AFTER the warrant expired.

This guy is oging to be rich. Which he mother f;ing deserves. But most importantly, what the people of that county deserve is to have these asshole cops REMOVED from the force immediately.

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts

@SaintLeonidas: Stopped reading after I saw OP's avatar.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

All the Anti Cop Crap on GS is just sad.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kinthalis

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Are you fucking kidding me? You are seriously siding wiht the cops on this one?

You're an idiot.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Fightingfan

@Kinthalis said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

You're an idiot.

Of course it's not the cop fault. If the guy didn't leave his house that night this would of never happened.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@Kinthalis said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

You're an idiot.

I didn't say the cop was in the right here, I didn't say I sided with him. Maybe pull your head out of your ass and read what I write? I'm saying the amount of hate on cops on GS is just sad. People go out of their way to post articles on here to make cops look bad all the time.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kinthalis

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@Kinthalis said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

You're an idiot.

I didn't say the cop was in the right here, I didn't say I sided with him. Maybe pull your head out of your ass and read what I write? I'm saying the amount of hate on cops on GS is just sad. People go out of their way to post articles on here to make cops look bad all the time.

What the ****? Who gives a shit? Is this one of those threads?

Jeebus, the cops here are not only in the wrong, they BROKE THE LAW.

Save your indignation for when cops aren't being shown to be asshats, ok?

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By chaplainDMK

@Kinthalis said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@Kinthalis said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

You're an idiot.

He is talking about how predisposed everyone is to hate on cops, like, how you are generalizing that cops are asshats unless proven otherwise.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kinthalis

@chaplainDMK said:

@Kinthalis said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@Kinthalis said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

You're an idiot.

He is talking about how predisposed everyone is to hate on cops, like, how you are generalizing that cops are asshats unless proven otherwise.

Reading comprehension fail.