This topic is locked from further discussion.

hgabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 hgabriel
Member since 2003 • 154 Posts
If you guys want to check out some nice looking katanas, check out my blog here.
Let me know what you think...
Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 Cyrax-Sektor
Member since 2006 • 12060 Posts
Nice! I like weapons from the East. They're much cooler than here.
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
pretty sweet. I own a couple, i'd like to take lessons to actually learn how to use one
bobwill1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 bobwill1
Member since 2003 • 2487 Posts
You should look at some of the swords made by Michael Bell, Randal Graham, and Howard Clark. http://www.dragonflyforge.com/index.php3http://www.rhgraham.com/http://www.mvforge.com/
dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts
awesome:D my favorite one is the Shadow Warrior katana
Poop_on_Me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Poop_on_Me
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I have a Katana, and I personally love my Sprint service with it :)
curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts

Just one thing.

The first one (red) was pretty, but goes far FROM what a katana is. As a matter of fact, I am sure it is a western designed thing...

The Nodachi... that is not a katana, katanas are curved, to help with  the direction of the slash.

There is a wooden sword which is not a katana. Katanas had hilt and hand protector. Swords that were hidden in staffs were used by commoners that wanted to have something to protect themselves, yet couldn't carry them in public.

There are some nice ones (specially the final ones), specially the black Hattori hanzo ones.

Avatar image for thenarkallaptar
thenarkallaptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thenarkallaptar
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts
Those are really sweet. My friend has 2 training Katanas, but he broke one over a guys head when they were playing xbox.
lugiemojeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lugiemojeed
Member since 2004 • 8785 Posts
pretty cool, in a few yrs i can actually see myself collecting katanas
Fire_Ants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fire_Ants
Member since 2005 • 4256 Posts
Do you keep them in like a display case thing?
badaboom187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 badaboom187
Member since 2005 • 6917 Posts
those are pretty cool. 
-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -Karayan-
Member since 2006 • 6713 Posts
Oh look at me, I have swords, I'm so hardcore I wasted money on fake eastern swords. :roll:
Fire_Ants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fire_Ants
Member since 2005 • 4256 Posts
Oh look at me, I have swords, I'm so hardcore I wasted money on fake eastern swords. :roll:-Karayan-
Atleast he is doing something he likes.....
Flaming_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Flaming_Ape
Member since 2007 • 3246 Posts
I already have my own katana collection...seriously, I do.
-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -Karayan-
[QUOTE="-Karayan-"]Oh look at me, I have swords, I'm so hardcore I wasted money on fake eastern swords. :roll:Fire_Ants

Yay, he has a collection. I had a collection of stamps when I was 8.
curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 curono

[QUOTE="Fire_Ants"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]Oh look at me, I have swords, I'm so hardcore I wasted money on fake eastern swords. :roll:-Karayan-

And that was... like last week?

Avatar image for NavigatorsGhost
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NavigatorsGhost
Member since 2006 • 6483 Posts
WTF am I going to do with a katana, I have a hard enough time using a steak knife.
-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Karayan-

[QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="Fire_Ants"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]Oh look at me, I have swords, I'm so hardcore I wasted money on fake eastern swords. :roll:curono

Ooh, a personal attack, what to do. :roll:
curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 curono
[QUOTE="curono"]

[QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="Fire_Ants"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]Oh look at me, I have swords, I'm so hardcore I wasted money on fake eastern swords. :roll:-Karayan-

Ooh, a personal attack, what to do. :roll:

Teh sarcasm with same pattern!! You must be a real smart guy!!!

bobwill1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bobwill1

Just one thing.

The first one (red) was pretty, but goes far FROM what a katana is. As a matter of fact, I am sure it is a western designed thing...

The Nodachi... that is not a katana, katanas are curved, to help with the direction of the slash.

There is a wooden sword which is not a katana. Katanas had hilt and hand protector. Swords that were hidden in staffs were used by commoners that wanted to have something to protect themselves, yet couldn't carry them in public.

There are some nice ones (specially the final ones), specially the black Hattori hanzo ones.

curono
I'm not enough of an expert to accurately judge most of that posting; but, I would have strong reservations on believing the bolded part. In Japan iron ore was very rare, which meant that iron was expensive, which meant that object made from steel were extremely expensive. Even if it were legal to own a Katana, most commoners would have never been able to afford it, which is why so many of them became family heirlooms passed from one generation of warrior to the next. Also, as far as Nodachi are concerned, Nodachi simply translates as big tachi, and a Tachi was a sword that was generally attributed as being earlier than the Katana. Tachis actually generally had a greater amount of curvature than a Katana, and a short hilt, as they were meant to be used from horseback, much like a cavalry saber of the 19th century, thus they were meant to be used with 1 hand rather than 2. Personally, I don't know much about Nodachis other than the fact that unlike the typical Tachi they were two-handed, and supposedly very, very large and heavy. Heian period Katana were straight edged. In fact, really the biggest defining characteristic between a Tachi and Katana was that a Tachi was worn with the blade turned down with the sharpened edge facing the ground and Katana were worn blade up with the sharpened edge facing the sky. To the best of my knowledge, cane swords were only carried by Samurai, not commoners during the Meiji reforms as a protest to the governments ban on the carrying of weapons in public.
bobwill1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bobwill1
Oh look at me, I have swords, I'm so hardcore I wasted money on fake eastern swords. :roll:-Karayan-
I see nothing wrong with it. I personally have a decent sized collection of bladed implements, as well as firearms. In many cases, old military firearms, and custom made swords can become investments over time. I know that the first gun I bought was a Sako Mosin-Nagant M39 made in 1944 with intact Sako and SA markings. I bought it for $120, and similar firearms now wholesale for over $300 after only 3 years or so.
curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 curono
[QUOTE="curono"]

Just one thing.

The Nodachi... that is not a katana, katanas are curved, to help with the direction of the slash.

bobwill1

I'm not enough of an expert to accurately judge most of that posting; but, I would have strong reservations on believing the bolded part. In Japan iron ore was very rare, which meant that iron was expensive, which meant that object made from steel were extremely expensive. Even if it were legal to own a Katana, most commoners would have never been able to afford it, which is why so many of them became family heirlooms passed from one generation of warrior to the next. Also, as far as Nodachi are concerned, Nodachi simply translates as big tachi, and a Tachi was a sword that was generally attributed as being earlier than the Katana. Tachis actually generally had a greater amount of curvature than a Katana, and a short hilt, as they were meant to be used from horseback, much like a cavalry saber of the 19th century, thus they were meant to be used with 1 hand rather than 2. Personally, I don't know much about Nodachis other than the fact that unlike the typical Tachi they were two-handed, and supposedly very, very large and heavy. Heian period Katana were straight edged. In fact, really the biggest defining characteristic between a Tachi and Katana was that a Tachi was worn with the blade turned down with the sharpened edge facing the ground and Katana were worn blade up with the sharpened edge facing the sky. To the best of my knowledge, cane swords were only carried by Samurai, not commoners during the Meiji reforms as a protest to the governments ban on the carrying of weapons in public.

Good observations. About nodachi=tachi, I have never heard that. I could say I`m ignorant about that. But, tachis as you claim are longer and curver than normal katanas. I knewTachis were swords used ment for using while  riding horses. That explains the curve (so it doesn`t recoils) and the size (more obvious??).

Heian period katanas straight?? I was told that most of those straight swords were used by ninjas, not samurai clans(yes, samurai had clans also.. but that`s othe story). I can`t recall the name, but I am pretty sure that Straight "katanas" were used by ninjas. (kodachi named, if I`m not mistaken...)

About the "cane  katanas" I hope this logic helps;  katanas were samurai swords, and only for them alone, think of it as an "army weapon" for the present days. They were curved, one edged, with hilt for 2 hands and not so long. Were with a sheat to hold them under the belt and with the sheat, a cord which had several uses.  The sword had normally a hand protector. That is the typical image of the samurai sword, more or less words. These swords were used, as already said only by samurais. The construction of such sword was made accurately for battle, so much that they didn`t change so much to improve (tiny variations may exist, but most of them are in style, color and accesories). As samurai could carry them in any time, there was no need to hide them in canes or things like that. Imagine, why would you want to disguise a weapon in a cane, when it has already an proven and efficient form? Because you don`t want someone to see it. There may be two reasons. Because it is expensive and you don't want it to be stolen (but heck stealing from a samurai=suicide/s·tp1d) or you shouldn't have it and hence you have to hide it.

Feudal lords hired samurais (so there is no need for a feudal lord to have one with you, since you have a SAMURAI for your own will). So we have left people who can afford the iron, but can`t carry them. So, "commoners" (though even with lots of cash), bought or made their swords, and hid them. That's why I said, commoners were the ones who had those swords, not samurai. And since katana is the sword of the samurai, with all the characteristics previously mentioned,  the commoner's sword can't be considered katana, just "katana-blade-like" if  you want

bobwill1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bobwill1
Actually, the Katana changed its blade form routinely, as with all other weapons it evolved over time to deal with the environment where it needed to serve. here's an excellent site: http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/glossary.htmhttp://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/terms/terms.htmhttp://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/nihonto.htm Don't let the earthlink address fool you, the guy's a PhD, and knows what he's talking about.
Alucard32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Alucard32
Member since 2004 • 1321 Posts
nice... i have a Hatori Hanzo myself... its Bill's... i want Buds though cause the inscription on the blade.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#25 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
The third one the bottom would be my choice...or the second to last...the first one has a very interesting design. I wonder what style it focuses on utilizing.
Mercury88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mercury88
Member since 2005 • 5674 Posts
One of my friends has one...although he's not exactly the type I would trust with any weapon....