is ROCK music DEAD?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

Looking at this years album releases/single releases i'd say rock music is dead in the water. Bunch of has-beens releasing albums and Hipster tween rock that doesn't count. What gives?! Anybody recommend me any music? I'm out of songs and i'm sick of listening to old stuff.

kickingcarpet

So rock music is dead because you don't like what it's become?

I think Jim Carrey's comedy skills have gone out the window, but the man is very much alive.

EDIT: How are we supposed to recommend you music when you give NO indication of what you like?

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
Can someone link me a song from the past couple years that is "real" rock?
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#53 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="mexicangordo"] Well I am not sure if that is the reaction they would give.  But I can guarantee that if I ask a kid if they think rock music is dead.  The reaction I would get would be, "what is rock music?"

mexicangordo

Uhm you're totally wrong, most kids today love rock simply because they think it makes them unique and interesting.

If kids and young adults love rock so much then were is it?  

On the other hand electronica....

Everywhere, but they are not paying any interest to any new band, their obsession only covers "classic" rock (which also includes metal on their standards) because they all spout this thing about music today being shit and that the only good music left is the classic rock.
Amvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 Amvis
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] Uhm you're totally wrong, most kids today love rock simply because they think it makes them unique and interesting.lightleggy

If kids and young adults love rock so much then were is it?

On the other hand electronica....

Everywhere, but they are not paying any interest to any new band, their obsession only covers "classic" rock (which also includes metal on their standards) because they all spout this thing about music today being shit and that the only good music left is the classic rock.

Most rock is bad now. Seriously, the stuff I hear on the radio rarely impresses me.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

I like The Foo Fighters, The Gaslight Anthem and The Trews. None of them are releasing an album this year (I think), but they are all solid pure-ish rock.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

No way. 

Born of Osiris and City in the Sea have new albums coming out tomorrow. Then we got Stray from the Path release one next month. 

And that's just the sub genre I'm keeping an eye on. Doesn't even account for all the other sub genres of rock out there.

Trail_Mix

Uh..  how would you even explain Born of Osiris as rock. 

Also how have these bands not been mentioned yet?

The Gaslight Anthem

Volbeat

Spector

Clutch

Then you have Alice In Chains, QotsA, Rob Zombie, 

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I don't know.. but I can't stand it anymore.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#58 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Nope. Trivium's next cd comes out soon. It's gonna b epic.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#59 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Mainstream rock is dead, most definitely. But there will always be a niche market for any type of music, you just have to look.
Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

[QUOTE="Trail_Mix"]

No way. 

Born of Osiris and City in the Sea have new albums coming out tomorrow. Then we got Stray from the Path release one next month. 

And that's just the sub genre I'm keeping an eye on. Doesn't even account for all the other sub genres of rock out there.

FrostyPhantasm

how would you even explain Born of Osiris as rock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rock_genres

Amvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#61 Amvis
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts

Mainstream rock is dead, most definitely. But there will always be a niche market for any type of music, you just have to look.foxhound_fox

Pretty much this ^

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
Rock is dead, and we have killed it. How shall we, murderers of all murderers, console ourselves? That which was the unholiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet possessed has bled to death under our mainstream radio stations. Who will wipe this blood off us? With what music could we purify ourselves? What concerts of atonement, what sacred paloozas shall we need to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we not ourselves become rock stars simply to be worthy of it? There has never been a greater deed; and whosoever shall be born after us - for the sake of this deed he shall be part of a higher rock n' roll than all rock n' roll hitherto.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Mainstream rock is dead, most definitely. But there will always be a niche market for any type of music, you just have to look.Amvis

Pretty much this ^

Nope.....
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts
[QUOTE="Amvis"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Mainstream rock is dead, most definitely. But there will always be a niche market for any type of music, you just have to look.LJS9502_basic

Pretty much this ^

Nope.....

My alternative station plays some good new rock like "Mind Your Manners" by Pearl Jam, "Where Will We Go" by IAMDYNAMYTE, Follow Me by Muse and 17 Things by AFI (which I consider rock), but most of what the station plays I would consider "indie" rock or pop instead of pure rock. There's also a rock station in our area which plays Five Finger Death Punch, Papa Roach, and some not-so-good heavier rock/metal usually.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#65 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Looking at this years album releases/single releases i'd say rock music is dead in the water. Bunch of has-beens releasing albums and Hipster tween rock that doesn't count. What gives?! Anybody recommend me any music? I'm out of songs and i'm sick of listening to old stuff.

kickingcarpet

Stop listening to the radio. 

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

No. CKY came out with an album in 2011.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts
As long as there are fans and musicians of a genre, it never truly dies.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]

[QUOTE="Trail_Mix"]

No way. 

Trail_Mix

how would you even explain Born of Osiris as rock.

Wow.. some of those are just the loosest most vague definitions of rock, what's the requirements, have a guitar?
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="Trail_Mix"]

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]how would you even explain Born of Osiris as rock.FrostyPhantasm

Wow.. some of those are just the loosest most vague definitions of rock, what's the requirements, have a guitar?

Actually, that's pretty much it. Rock is meant to be a vaguely defined genre. If you want more specifics, you get into all sorts of silly arbitrary genre names that most people don't care about.

Pretty much, if there's at least one guitar, plus a bass of some kind, and percussion, and there is a rhythmic flow with some kind of melody, coming from an instrument and/or vocal, then it's rock. Just about the only time that definition wouldn't apply, would be for rap music that uses rock styling for the beats. The rapping, if it's the only vocal style present, makes it rap music, and that classification overrules the "rock" title.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
[QUOTE="Trail_Mix"]

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]how would you even explain Born of Osiris as rock.FrostyPhantasm

I actually read a conversation about music from one of Wikipedia's paid editors and it was pretty sad what they decided to include and omit. Their justifications were completely grounded in opinion rather than fact.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#71 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Not dead yet.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
Not really, it's just that most mainstream rock acts today are some sort of indie band and/or incorporate a lot of electronica influences. The old hard rocking rock is not really popular mainstream anymore, or is just relegated to whoring the daylights out of Guns N Roses.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
If you rely on music charts .... disposble pop music hold the crown ..... rock music are meant to be underground, not overly expose and low key .... thats the reason it last for generations ......... who's listening to N'sync anymore??
applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

EagleEyedOne

Ew.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"]

applesxc47

Ew.

We all have our tastes. What rock album came out in the last 5 years that makes you think the genre isn't dead?
kickingcarpet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 kickingcarpet
Member since 2011 • 570 Posts

I like CKY they are from around the same area as me in PA. Anybody like Soul Asylum, i always loved that band in the 90s... 

Back on topic. I guess what i'm trying to get at is I feel like rock is a genre for the older folk, it used to be everybody was listening and rocking out to some great tunes, like ac/dc back in the day but now it seems like if u listen to a new rock album ur just trying to relive life in ur old shoes or your listening to "dad-rock"....and the has-beens releasing albums like Alice in Chains, grunge music in 2013 sounds so wrong especially when its sub-par grunge compared to the 90s stuff. Old bands rehashing the same old thing again, you might as well listen to their old albums that sound exactly the same and are better.

I always had a wide range of rock I used to like say 5-10 years ago, loved anything from Slipknot to AFI to Billy Talent and many others...but it seems like all rock is dead and replaced with Auto-Tuned Pop-Rock...Like all songs are Nickelback songs now, Listen to a modern top rock station and TELL me it doesn't all sound like Nickelback rock..

DrvoJavorovo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 DrvoJavorovo
Member since 2013 • 64 Posts

"sick of listening to old stuff." Hell i can listen to the good old tunes all day long. There is always more things to hear, try blues, funk, 60s psychedelia.

awesomeface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 awesomeface
Member since 2007 • 3661 Posts
New Pearl Jam, Kings of Leon, and Cage the Elephant albums are coming out in the next few months. Rock is not dead. I noticed someone else mentioned Indian Handcrafts, check them out.
v13_KiiLtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 v13_KiiLtz
Member since 2010 • 2791 Posts
Music never dies, only changes.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#80 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
Been rocking to Joe Satriani and Steve Vai for years now. Joe just released a new album. Satriani is just amazing to listen to. I saw him live in 2010.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
No, just you looking in wrong places.