Is Intelligence inherited or developed?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

When I was in College I remember doing a big computer programming assignment for the end of the semester. I remember I had a real struggle with it. I remember I stayed up ALL NIGHT LONG trying to figure out the lines of code to achieve the objective. Was finally able to complete it with some help from my classmates. Where as there were people who spent a fraction of the time and were able to complete the assignment. Question is, were those people far more intelligent than me? Was my thought process wrong that caused me the delay? Am I not cut for programming/software engineering?

How about in Math Courses where you see kids are acing Calculus exams and is getting 90's and there are kids who are struggling. Are the kids who are struggling a lot dumber than the ones who get's A's. Or are they too lazy? Even if they were to work hard is there an intellectual limit that they can only achieve where they may not get 90's but 80's because there is a "intelligence gap" between kids who get 90's and 80's where kids who get's 80's will never be able to cross the threshold and achieve 90's no matter how hard they tried and not even in a million years?

So, is intelligence inherited/developed or a bit of both?

TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 TheFatPerson
Member since 2011 • 1806 Posts

It's not that black and white. Everyone is different. You also have to take into consideration that everybody has strengths and weaknesses.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

It's not that black and white. Everyone is different. You also have to take into consideration that everybody has strengths and weaknesses.

TheFatPerson

This, someone could be mediocre at mathematics, but a complete genius when it comes to analyzing literaturing, stringing words together and evolving thought.

Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WolfattheDoor34
Member since 2006 • 3278 Posts
I would guess that we're born with a blueprint for our brain's development but this blueprint is largely malleable. And of course there are many different types of intelligence.
rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rocinante_
Member since 2012 • 1772 Posts

there have been studies done on identical (and fraternal) twins who were both raised apart and together; the two groups shared similar intelligence, no matter the situation they grew up in. this indicates that genes and environment are both factors, but to what extent each factor plays is unknown, afaik.

that said, studies like this shouldn't be taken as fact because there is always variation.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

TheFatPerson

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
Developed. One is not born a Stewie Griffin....
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
If I had to lean more to one side I'd say it's inherited.
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 almasdeathchild

in a real argument i'd say it's inherited while also being developed

you can inherit intelligence but if you don't apply it then what good is it?

at the end of the day your intelligence is what you choose to do with it.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#10 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

genes and environment are both factors, but to what extent each factor plays is unknown

rocinante_
a correct reply ^ it is very difficult to differentiate the variables as to attribute them to one or the other, if not impossible, hence the answer is inconclusive
Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

Intelligence is largely inherited. That doesn't mean a smart couple can't have a kid with down syndrome and an average couple have the next Einstein. However it's more likely than not your children will share your genetics with many of the good and bad attributes you have. That's the reason champion race horses get studded and also the reason so many women want to have my babies. It could also partly be because of my modest nature though.

The__Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The__Kraken
Member since 2012 • 858 Posts

Combo of the two. Everybody is born with a certain intelligence-potential. Whether or not you achieve your full potential is pretty much up to you. There are obvious exceptions to this (people with severe developmental disabilities, brain trauma, etc...).

ExtremeGamer93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ExtremeGamer93
Member since 2011 • 271 Posts

It really depends on the person. My folks didn't go to college, and instead went into the workforce. I'm just someone who works very hard. That being said, I'm a Computer Science major in his second year with a 3.533 GPA. I'm happy with that.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#14 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I think intelligence can be developed, but talent in a given area or field is something that cannot be taught.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
It's in no way black and white. It's different for each person. Some things can't be stated with numbers.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

It is indeed a bit of both. Genetics will pass from person to person. If only the smartest people were breeding, people would be a lot more advanced. You can also help your children develop critical thinking minds with the right upbringing.

mAArdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mAArdman
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts

it's obtained through ritual sacrifice

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

It's both. Intelligence is partially inherited, but it can be modified by other factors such as diet, environment, and activity.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Math Courses where you see kids are acing Calculus exams and is getting 90's

Xtasy26

fff

almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

gamerguru100

fff

:lol:

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"]

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

almasdeathchild

fff

:lol:

I second that :P
Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

Depends what you mean by "intelligence" lol.

I'd say intelligence (of any kind, really) isn't just inherited right from the get-go, but I'm sure there's a gene, or w/e, for building intelligence, for instance, wanting to learn, and what not. But that's something that needs to be worked on through life as well.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Both, obviously.

_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 _Cadbury_
Member since 2006 • 2936 Posts
It's basically impossible to determine the exact origins of intelligence or whether genes or environment play a greater role. You also have to consider the fact that the environment is going to influence your genes, and your genes will influence your environment. I think when you're talking about things like maths and other specific subjects, some people just aren't going to do well in it, even if they have the capacity to, they may just not have the motivation/desire/interest.
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

The simplified answer is that I think each person has a maximum level of intelligence and this varies greatly from person to person.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
It is a combination of both, with the exception of those super genius 10 year old doctors.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
it's like shaft you are born with aim potential but whether u get there is up 2 u
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Like any cognitive capacity it's a product of both nature and nurture. You can't separate one from the other.
bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts
I'll say developed. I've witnessed my fair share of spoiled incompetent kids grow up to be leaches with a false sense of entitlement and intelligence. I've also seen plenty of kids grow up in the pits of poverty and miraculously turn themselves into a Phoenix, pulling themselves out of the seething flames of despair. You have to want to be enlightened. Unfortunately, many are just too lazy and/or quitters in life. I can't say I blame them either way (due to consequences). However, wisdom is acquired thru experience... its not automatically inside of you. Inheritance? I think not. Only by way of teaching your offspring, teaching them how to be successful and by giving examples of how you obtained your own good fortune and education.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

The simplified answer is that I think each person has a maximum level of intelligence and this varies greatly from person to person.

junglist101

"Unfortunately we don't all have the same brain. The spectrum goes from Albert Einstein on one end to Sarah Palin at the other." - Richard Dawkins

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
A little from column A; a little from column B. There is a genetic predisposition, but without proper education, it can be easily wasted.
Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Xtasy26

After reading throught the thread I think I agree with most of you, I think it's part inherited (genes) and part developed (hard work, motivation, etc.).

Case in point: I had childhood buddy when I was kid growing up. His older brother went on to study Physics at the California Institute of Technology (Cal Tech). It turns out his father was also a Physicists. While my buddy wasn't like his older brother. I remember him telling me that he is not up to par with respect to studying hard sciences\engineering.

It wasn't like he was lazy or anything. He always did his homework and was onto class on time, it didn't look like he slacked off. I think it's pretty obvious that his older brother inheritied his father's genes of intelligence and the ability to problem solve. And maybe my buddy inherited his mother's genes.

It's kind of like the SAT's where some kids would do very good on the math portion of SAT's and not so well on the English part of the SAT's. Where as some kids would do good on the English part of the SAT's (they may be more into literature, books, etc.) and not so good on the Math part.

Again that's just my hypothesis....

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Both. There is no other answer grounded in reality.
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
Inherited genes that decide how fast you learn and how good you retain your memory. You still need to go to school and read to be smart :P
Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

I think it's genetic. I think that Darwinian genetic design is the reason why some are way smarter and also much stronger and more resilient than others. Of course there may be a better physical explanation but I don't know it.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
It's pretty obvious that it's both. Why is this even a question?
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#39 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

There is no clear answer.

Intelligence it's self is fairly hard to define, there are many different types of intelligences. For instance some people have more emotional intelligence, others have more lingustic or spatial intelligence etc.....much of this depends on what area of the brain is more active/used more. Often people can be intelligent in one part of the brain, but lack intelligence in another.

Many "Genuises" are like this, they often lack skills in other parts of the brain. Autistic people also are an example of this, they tend to be great with numbers and similar logic as that is where their brain is focused at. However they lack emotional intelligence which is why they have a hard time communicating and recognising emotions. They are socially "inept" to put it (can't use the "R" word as it's not allowed under TOU).

Perhaps we may inherit some intelligence or at least something that influences certain parts of the brain more so than others. But that is not enough to really make someone intellgent. You have to learn, you have to be educated, truly intelligent people love learning and challenging themselves.It can be anything, it doesn't have to be math, it can be learning to play a new instument, or a new language etc....this is something that anyone can do. It is a choice, we can choose to become intellgent or not.

Also I don't put much stock in IQ tests. They made us take one in college for certain classes and apparently I scored the highest out of my class. But I did not care, I just threw it away, I didn't even look at it. I don't want to compare myself to some arbitary number. I am so much more than that, as we all are.

Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WolfattheDoor34
Member since 2006 • 3278 Posts
Intelligence - IT IS SELF!
LiftedHeadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LiftedHeadshot
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts
intellect is both nature and nurture - it is bioligacally inherited through brain structure, but also influenced by environment - experiences, trauma.
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Nature vs. Nurture? Both.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
I think intelligence can be developed, but talent in a given area or field is something that cannot be taught.Allicrombie
I don't quite agree with that. I mean, obviously people's potential in a given area or field is going to be different. Some people are just more mathematically inclined, some people are just more linguistically inclined, that sort of thing. But most anyone can learn outside of their strongest field. Anyone can learn to play guitar, or learn how to draw, or learn how to do basic mathematics or chemistry. They might never be GREAT at it, and it might take them a lot more effort to reach a certain level of competence, but I don't really believe in the whole "I just can't do math" or "I just can't do art" complaints.
lonewolfman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lonewolfman10
Member since 2012 • 528 Posts

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

gamerguru100

fff

And here comes the racism

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Developed imo.

Just like when starting out a new sport a trained athlete is advantaged over a complete newbie, a person who already has a certain mental rigor in one field will get good at a new subject much quicker.

I'm very good at programming; I graduated out of a ICT high school and I could finish most of the programming tests in half the given time while the majority of my classmates struggled to finish before the deadline. I enrolled in an engineering physics course; I aced my ICT exam in college without even opening a book, and now I'm good at math too, even though I brutally failed my first calculus exam.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Xtasy26

Well here is something interesting. A girl who was homeless was accepted into Harvard:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07/us/from-janitor-to-harvard/index.html

She worked as a Janitor at High School to make ends meets. Her parents abandoned her. How many of the kids in her High School who has parents and had much easier life than hers didn't use their opportunity to even make it to College let alone an Ivy League school. She had to work twice as hard as her classmates to achieve what she did. Goes to show with hard work and dedication one can achieve great things.

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

TheFatPerson
First answer had it right. I wouldn't get too discouraged. You can certainly become better at something with enough practice, though it might take more effort from you than others. There is nothing wrong with this at all.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I think intelligence is genetic but is also influenced by the environment a lifeform grows within.
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Both, mostly developed.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts

TheFatPerson
Gotta go with you. I used to be pretty good with computers (for being a kid at the time) but now I'm essentially appalling at it I understand the concept of coding and will understand what particular pieces of coding will do but in general when I did a Computing course I was poor. To be honest I think other stuff influence you in terms of getting educated and completing objectives. My interests was computing but soon when onto media, music and writing (not the best in terms of career paths) and because of that I excelled in those fields and started doing mediocre in computing. However I think being inherited does contribute a little.