Is Christianity made by man or by God?

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

WARNING: This thread is a debate about religion. If you do not like religion threads or you are unprepared to read a bit of text and act maturely then please do not post in here.

Okay so about two weeks ago I began a discussion with Silver_Dragon17 about an issue that I noticed within Christianity. For those who can't be bothered reading the 2,637 word transcript of our conversation the gist of the argument was this:

Domatron23- "There are many coincidences between the lifestyle that Christianity teaches and the social behaviour that is neccesary for the human species to survive. Does this mean that Christianity and religion in general is a product of mankind designed to keep society together?"

Silver_Dragon17- "That could be but to me it makes more sense that the positive effects of Christianity are a part of the benevolence of God"

We ended in a stalemate between our respective arguments and so I have come here with the hopes that the Off Topic community could add their input into the matter.

The discussion between Silver_Dragon17 and myself went like this:

domatron23 wrote: Hey Silver Dragon.

First off let me compliment you on the mature way you always manage to debate matters of religion on off topic. It's good to see someone who doesn't resort to screaming in a religious debate. I was reading a recent thread named "to religious people" recently and I was quite intrigued about a response you made. When asked what your life would be like if you (hypothetically) discovered for certain that God didn't exist you replied that "I'd stay a Christian. The Christian lifestyle is for me anyway, whether or not Christianity exists." That got me to thinking and reaffirmed the basic reason why I think many people here (including myself) are atheists.I think that most people are religious not because of the cause but the effects. Allow me to explain.

The cause of Christianity is the existence of God, his judgment upon mankind and the reality of an afterlife, correct no? But the effect of Christianityis the Christian lifestyle as you described. Now I basically live the Christian lifestyle (with a few exceptions) I don't smoke, don't drink, don't take drugs and I most certainly never murder or intimidate or anything of the like. The only difference is that I do not accept Jesus Christ as the son of God and my savior. This brings me to my point about cause and effect. I am an Atheist because I recognize too much coincidence between the effects of Christianity and how the ideal human society should work. The ideal human society requires things like selflessness and sacrifice which are very hard to justify outside of the promise of an afterlife. This is a quote from Sigmund Freud which sums up my point fairly well (please examine the quote on its own merit rather then the merit of the person saying it):

"It would be very nice if there were a God who created the world and was a benevolent providence, and if there were a moral order in the universe and an after-life; but it is a very striking fact that all this is exactly as we are bound to wish it to be."

Is it not conceivable that God is a product of humanity, designed to achieve the effects of Christianity without the causes actually being real? Is it not possiblefor a person like me, identical to you in every way except for my faith, to be an equal? Is it not possible for you to live exactly as you do now without believing in God's existence? I know that you are not stupid and have probably thought of this already but could you please consider what I have said and if you are not convinced explain why.

Many thanks.

Silver_Dragon wrote: The cause of Christianity is more the existence (and sacrifice, of course) of Jesus. The promise of an afterlife never even came until the New Testament; In the Old Testament, the people who worshipped and obeyed God never had any such promise. I would still be a Christian even if I had no promise myself.

Can society live the Christian lifestyle without being Christians? I'm not sure. For one thing, I don't think it's possible to live the Christian lifestyle without being a Christian--that's why I called it the Christian lifestyle. Society would most certainly be better off if they did the things you mentioned: No drugs, smokes, murder, etc. But is that the Christian lifestyle? I'm not so sure. Moses? He was a murderer. James, Christ's disciple? He denied even knowing Jesus, three times, when he was afraid for his own life. I am not certain (yet) what constitutes a Christian lifestyle, and I most certainly am NOT advocating the nad things you mentioned, but It is certain, like you said, that those are not what makes somebody a Christian, so why would the be the lifestyle of one?

Well, Freud is right that that's what we would like, but think about this: If that were true, why sacrifice? Does anybody actually WANT that? Or, what about the very real possibility that a family member or a close friend could end up in Hell? That is frightening beyond imagination, for the believer. If Christianity was simply invented for all the nice little things in the world that we would like, then why did they throw in all those things that are definitely not convenient for either the believer or non-believer? An all-convenient religion would definitely HAVE to be fake.

Is it conceivable that God is simply a product of humanity? Sure. Is it possible for you and me to be equal? Of course. Is it possible that I could live the way I do now without believing in God? I'm not so sure.

I used to be an Atheist, you know. And I was quite the stubborn, immature, selfish, and just plain stupid prick I am NOT saying that Atheists are all like this, but I can guarantee that it was my Atheism that helped along these traits. If I were to convert to Atheism today, then would I be like that? I doubt it, because I've grown up. But then I never would have been a Christian in the first place.

Anytime.

domatron23 wrote: Cheers for the thoughtful reply but I have a few points to elaborate on.

When I said the Christian lifestyle I meant the way of life promoted by the bible, the ten commandments and the church. I know that not every Christian follows this exact lifestyle but I do think that this is what religion is striving for. The Christian lifestyle is the effect of religion on the non-spiritual world, morality, family values etc. Now keep in mind that these effects of Christianity affect society rather than the individual. With that said you can see why it is still an awfully convenient religion even though it requires things like sacrifice. A successful society requires altruistic behaviour such as sacrifice to function properly. If you take religion as a tool for the benefit of society rather than the individual you can see that Freud's quote is still pertinent to our situation because the religion in question is still all-convenient. Could religion still be just an invention of man to hold society together?

As for the causes of Christianity I know that Jesus' teachings were incredibly important but didn't the whole thing kind of hinge on the fact that God was his father? It's that aspect ofJesus which separates him from a common idealist.

The only part of your post that I disagreed with was when you said that you weren't sure that a non-Christian could live the Christian lifestyle. I know that you and others need the guidance of religion to live the way you do (given that you said that you were a little bastard as an atheist) but there are many people like myself who don't need a God to justify Christian-like morality. The principles that Christianity teaches are pretty reasonable to me and I think that it's very smart to follow them. Now in effect I am satisfying the effects of Christianity (which I think is the alterior motive behind it) without believing in the causes (the divine presence behind Jesus' teachings). If religion is indeed just a creation of man then that makes you and me exactly the same.

I will acknowledge that religion is necessary (I think the world would be worse off without religion) but does that still mean that a God exists? Can you still account for the coincidence between religion and mankind's personal and societal needs? Are the effects ofChristianity all-convenient?

Thanks again for your thought and input in the matter.

Silver_Dragon17 wrote: If religion is simply an invention of mankind, then I can see how it was developed as a way to control society and keep it somewhat together. However, as I said before, if it's convenience you want, you can do much better than Christianity. Why not something with little to no consequences on the individual, instead of something that requires hardship? A society can function without sacrifice, but then there are the other 'negatives' of religion, Christianity in particular.

Yes. There is what is known as a Trilemma, which goes as thus: Either Jesus was a liar, that He knew that what He was speaking was not the truth, but He spoke it anyway; A lunatic, which means He thought He was correct, but in fact was not, and so was crazy, or He was telling the truth and was the Son of God. He never claimed to be a simple idealist. If He was lying, then He certainly took it a little too far. He had nothing to gain, except a crucifixion, over such a tremendous lie. Maybe He was insane. If so, He was the smartest, most influential insane man in history. He also had a rather sane way of words, which is shown when He confronts the Pharisees. But just a teacher, or a prophet, or an idealist? He never made any such claim.

Let me ask you something: You say that you live much the way a Christian does, and I'm not saying you're lying, but what stops you from being a Christian? Not much would change regarding your morality, or the way you see the world, and, if I may invoke Pascal's Wager (which I have a problem with, but still), you'll go to Heaven if you're right.

I'm glad you acknowledge that, because nothing makes me lose it more than "religion is the problem with the world!!" No, that doesn't automatically mean God exists. If Christianity (I don't like to speak for all of religion, because my knowledge is limited to Christianity) was invented for the benefit for society, then what prompted this invention? Was society going down the drain at the time? Why is it that most of the writers of the Bible were unknowns, or even fugitives for what they believed? Would you suffer the kinds of deaths as they did (Apostle Peter was crucified upside-down) for the betterment of society? I know that they could have been martyrs for their cause, but if this is the case, we might need to take another look at the lunatic part of the Trilemma.

People joke about how I always recommend this book, but I would really you look at Mere Christianity by C.S.Lewis, my favorite author, for more on what Christianity is.

domatron23 wrote: Ah yes Pascal's wager, It's better to have loved and lost then to have never loved at all. Pascal manages to demonstrate that the consequences of not believing in a true God are more significant than the consequences of believing in a false one. However you've got to take into account the fact that if you believe God to be impossible in the first place (as I do)the whole argument is irrelevant. I could make a statistical argument to demonstrate what I mean If you don't quite understand where I'm coming from.

Anyways on to the point at hand. I whole-heartedly disagree with you when you say that a society can function without sacrifice. We are a social species and require altruistic behavior to function (I use sacrifice and altruism as synonyms of each other). You know that three people working together are more efficient then three people working separately, the same principle is what society is founded upon and as such is what Christianity teaches.

Now unless I define sacrifice differently from you or if I am failing to take into account the other negative aspects of Christian faith, I still see Christianity as an all-convenient religion which as you acknowledged would have to be a product of mankind. Can you still account for this in regards to the original hypothesis me and Freud presented?

As for the trilemma I would argue that if Jesus was a lying sane man he would still havea good enoughmotive to "invent" Christianity. Yes he earned himself a tortured and untimely death but look at what he gained. It is similar to Achilles' situation in Homer's Iliad. Do you live a short but purposeful life which will be remembered for ever or a shallow anonymous life which you can enjoy for as long as it lasts? Some people value the immortality of remembrance and the opportunity to do something great over the transience of existence (I'm not saying that's true but one could definitely rationalize it as the better choice). If you view it like that then it's not really a trilemma at all.

Now I too don't know much outside of Christianity but I can say fairly confidently that allreligion in one way or another is "designed" to regulate the morality of society. Christianity wasn't new in that sense, it was just a replacement for the Greco-Roman religion that existed at that time. I'm guessing that the latter religion either wasn't working or simply just became irrelevant, like Christianity is today for people like me.

Why am I not a Christian if I live the Christian lifestyle? Well like I implied earlier with Pascal's wager I have 0% confidence in the existence of the supernatural, particularly with a God who I see so many alterior motives in. The Christian lifestyle is necessary if you are going to be a functioning member of society and so I follow it with exception to one or two commandments and principles which I view as superfluous. There's a common misconception that atheists are incapable of forming morality on par with that of the Church (not saying you think this). I have the morality which religion was designed to give but I don't need the white lie of God to justify it to myself.

Right now I have 0% confidence in God because of the coincidences betweenindividual and societal needsand the effects of Christianity I mentioned in my original message. That doesn't constitute stubbornnesson my part however. My viewscould change if I see faults within my theory which is why I contacted you in the first place.

I originally wrote amuch longer response to your last message but I lost it when I tried to send it to you. So if you don't understand what I said just ask and I will elaborate.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness and maturity on the matter and I will look into mere religion when I have the time.

Silver_Dragon17 wrote: Sorry for taking so long to reply--I've had a very busy week.

I thought and thought about this argument, because it is fairly new to me. When I come across a new argument, I obsess over it. And my fatal flaw is that I always look for some complicated answer that explains every aspect of the argument.

Then the realization hit me so hard that I have a bruise.

Of COURSE society would be "easier" because of Christianity--Wouldn't God want that? Wouldn't He want laws and rules that make things easier for us to live with each other?

Unfortunately, this does not account for Ol' Freud's argument. But it makes sense to me.

Sorry for the short reply, but I don't have time for an essay right now.

domatron23 wrote: Hmm I can see where you're coming from but unfortunatelyyour responseleaves us in a bit ofa stalemate.

We can rationalize that the effects of Christianity are the result of God's benevolence orthat they are the result of a cultural need for cohesion. I guess this oneboils down to perception and opinionwhich isn't very handy given that the whole God vs. no God argument has been nothing but that so far.

Would it be okay ifI posted our conversation on off topic and we let the community decide who has a more valid point?

END OF TRANSCRIPT

So what's everyone's opinion on the issue. Is Freud right, is Christianity really an all-convenient religion? Is the coincidence between the effects of religion and the needs of mankind suspicious or just providential. Does of Christianity originate from man or God?

Any thoughtful and mature responses are very much appreciated. Cheers.

Sandro909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 Sandro909
Member since 2004 • 15221 Posts
All religions are creations of man.
Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#3 Yagami-Iori
Member since 2003 • 6327 Posts

My thoughts...

I feel like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
Member since 2004 • 14645 Posts
Lol, this thread is going to get 999,999,999,999 posts just because you said god
Greedo_What

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Greedo_What
Member since 2007 • 756 Posts
Constantine invented Christianity...
British_Azimio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 British_Azimio
Member since 2007 • 2459 Posts
Man.
Funkdaddy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Funkdaddy13
Member since 2003 • 8930 Posts
All religions are creations of man.Sandro909
True. Early civilizations used religion to keep the masses under control.
Mr_Leonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mr_Leonis
Member since 2007 • 4615 Posts

My thoughts...

I feel like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight!

Yagami-Iori

I had that for lunch.....don't know if I want to eat dinner tonight. :?

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#9 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts
I believe that cookies reign supreme...That's just my opinion.
Hey_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hey_Jay
Member since 2004 • 7221 Posts
Christianity was obviously made by man. God is just the basis of Christianity.
DarkKar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DarkKar
Member since 2005 • 6025 Posts

[QUOTE="Sandro909"]All religions are creations of man.Funkdaddy13

Regardless of beliefs, I have seen this stratagem used weekly to give people a substitute to tolerate issues, rough points, and personal dilemmas. Words are construed in such a way to keep everyone optimistic about any and everything.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
Jesus was a man, but was supposedly God. so for Christians, both. for everyone else, (a) man.
GFahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GFahim
Member since 2006 • 798 Posts
matthew and luke were'nt even born when Jesus (may peace be upon him) was alive. but they are the ones who wrote the bible! soooo, this religion definitely has been invented by man...
Funkdaddy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Funkdaddy13
Member since 2003 • 8930 Posts

[QUOTE="Funkdaddy13"][QUOTE="Sandro909"]All religions are creations of man.DarkKar

Regardless of beliefs, I have seen this stratagem used weekly to give people a substitute to tolerate issues, rough points, and personal dilemmas. Words are construed in such a way to keep everyone optimistic about any and everything.

LOL WUT? :P
mark4091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mark4091
Member since 2007 • 3780 Posts
It's been covered.
ninjacat11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 ninjacat11
Member since 2004 • 5008 Posts
Christianity is a man-made phenomena.
cool_baller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cool_baller
Member since 2003 • 12493 Posts
I believe in God, but in no specific religion.
Avatar image for Silver_Dragon17
Silver_Dragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Silver_Dragon17
Member since 2007 • 6205 Posts

Crap, did we really type that much?:lol:

Anyway, this argument has had me stumped. . .so far.;)

Silver_Dragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Silver_Dragon17

matthew and luke were'nt even born when Jesus (may peace be upon him) was alive. but they are the ones who wrote the bible! soooo, this religion definitely has been invented by man...GFahim

And where did you get this tidbit of information? What of the other ten diciples?

XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XenoNinja
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts
adam & eve sinned thus christianity was born.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 domatron23
matthew and luke were'nt even born when Jesus (may peace be upon him) was alive. but they are the ones who wrote the bible! soooo, this religion definitely has been invented by man...GFahim
crusher2002000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 crusher2002000
Member since 2004 • 645 Posts

i think it was made up because 1. to provide explanation for the unknown 2. to control the population

yet still i hope there is a god because i don't want this to be the end.

Silver_Dragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Silver_Dragon17

adam & eve sinned thusJudaism was born.XenoNinja

All fix'd.:)

xtn702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xtn702
Member since 2007 • 4203 Posts
I think man is more logical
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 domatron23
Crap sorry I meant to say that the bible was inspired by God and written through man hence the Christianity could still be a product of God
mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mig_killer2
Member since 2007 • 4906 Posts
[QUOTE="Sandro909"]All religions are creations of man.Funkdaddy13

its starting to look that way to me
CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 CrimzonTide
Member since 2007 • 12187 Posts
I don't see religion as much of an invention as I see it as a will of all the involved indivduals. I say this because I do not see religion as material, afterall how do you define a religion? What constitutes the creation of a religion? Rather I see a religion as an idea, but one promoted by all involved. In this way everything is open to interpretation, few things are black and white.

That is why I see religions being so closely related, the interpretations early on are what make them different. Obviously the earliest religions did not congregate to come up with the same principals, but that wanting to believe in a higher being is natural, and is true of all religions.

As to the point of sacrafices, I think martyrs are atleast necessary to humanity, ones we can look up to, boldy defying the opressors. So while sacrafice is necessary for the sanity of humanity, it is not necessarily crucial for the existence of humanity.

Frued by the way was a maniac, I take nearly none of his theories seriously.
Decessus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -5

#29 Decessus
Member since 2003 • 5132 Posts
I think anybody who takes the study of history seriously has to come to the conclusion that Christianity, like all religions, are a product of human creativity. They were created during a time of profound human ignorance, and were attempts to come to terms with the world around them.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#30 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
All religions are made by men.
shamuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shamuk
Member since 2004 • 470 Posts

It's fair to say religion is a man made construct. Religion is not God and God is not religion. If you worship creation in place of the creator, it's called idolatry. Christianity is what christians use to seek God out in their lives. God is the spiritual source and goal of christianity but is not christianity itself. As far as living a moral life goes, one of my best friends is an avowed atheist and the other is an agnostic and they have no problem leading the same moral life that I do, but I'm not extremely conservative. I believe the best part of the bible as far as guidlines goes is Matthew 25:37-40. The gist of what Jesus said on the mount of olives was, "Whatever you did to the least of my people, you did to me." I think a lot of people forget that part, which leads to the problems people love to point out (they're generally accurate).

Also, Freud basically said, "Religion keeps you psychologicall infantile, and it's just a way of meeting needs (not a word for word quote obviously, just a summation). If you're afraid to make your own decisions it's comforting to know (think)that God will tell you what to do but the error is that humans have free will specifically because if you are incapable of acting imorally, moral action is impossible. God doesn't make people do things. People don't have to make their own decisions, but God isn't the one who is going to say, "Yes, by that car." It definately keeps some people infantile, and fulfills the need of young humans to be commanded (if you believe inFreud's developmental stages).

There are plenty of fair criticisms of religion, but just because flaws exist doesn't mean that it should be discarded. For instance, Early christians were far from ruling countries. The governments perverted religion for there own needs. Modern examples include El Salvador, where the poor were told by the clergy at the behest of the government that it was necessary for them to be poor, because God wished it to be so. The power hungry would use other means if religion did not exist, obviously. For instance, look at the Soviet Union. Religion was completely illegal and yet Stalin still was able to keep his position. Political corruption and oppression will exist without religion, and sociopaths like Stalin will use whatever means they can to rule. Some just choose to pervert peoples' deepest beliefs for their own gain.

Would you say that the Salvation Army is doing a bad thing. They're the only homeless shelter opperating in most cities. I live in the state capital of Washington, and they're the only shelter the people can realistically rely on. The Saint Vincent du Paul society helps people with rent money, utility bills, and all kinds of things like that. Catholic community services providefree secular counseling, drive people to doctors appointments, and build appartments for low income people. This list is rather short, but these are things I know about in my community, I'm not gonna belt off every single one of em. I can guarantee that something similar, if not the same, exists wherever you live.

I'm definately not saying there aren't flaws, but ignoring the good religious people do and focusing on the flawsaloneis close-minded, bigotted, and fairly childish (not that the TC is being those things, I'm just making a comment on most of the criticisms I've heard).

mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mig_killer2

I think anybody who takes the study of history seriously has to come to the conclusion that Christianity, like all religions, are a product of human creativity. They were created during a time of profound human ignorance, and were attempts to come to terms with the world around them.Decessus
unless you're a young-earth creationist.

but, i'd like to consider myself one of those people who LOVES to study history, and through my studies, I have come to the conclusion that christianity most likely a product of human creativity because there is no reason to assume that it is somehow special.

maybe in the near future I will come to a different conclusion, but, whatever

GFahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GFahim

[QUOTE="GFahim"]matthew and luke were'nt even born when Jesus (may peace be upon him) was alive. but they are the ones who wrote the bible! soooo, this religion definitely has been invented by man...Silver_Dragon17

And where did you get this tidbit of information? What of the other ten diciples?

i got this info from the 'history'. but the main thing is that those 'disciples' or whatever who wrote the bible simply tells us that it has been written by man. how simple can it get?!

additionally, if a bible has contradictions, then it cannot be from God because God is Perfect. ...or are you saying He isn't? (May Allah frogive me)

and don't bother saying that there are no contradictions coz we all know that there are. for e.g, in one verse, it says, 'the earth is flat' and in the other verse it says, 'the earth is a circle'. so that means its saying that the earth is a 'flat circle'! which obviously is not. no matter how many contradictios there are, if there is even just one, then it is not from God. its as simple as that.

cheerios my friend and have a deep think about that....

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 domatron23
I don't see religion as much of an invention as I see it as a will of all the involved indivduals. I say this because I do not see religion as material, afterall how do you define a religion? What constitutes the creation of a religion? Rather I see a religion as an idea, but one promoted by all involved. In this way everything is open to interpretation, few things are black and white.

That is why I see religions being so closely related, the interpretations early on are what make them different. Obviously the earliest religions did not congregate to come up with the same principals, but that wanting to believe in a higher being is natural, and is true of all religions.

As to the point of sacrafices, I think martyrs are atleast necessary to humanity, ones we can look up to, boldy defying the opressors. So while sacrafice is necessary for the sanity of humanity, it is not necessarily crucial for the existence of humanity.

Frued by the way was a maniac, I take nearly none of his theories seriously.CrimzonTide

Well of course religion isn't an invention like the combustion engine was. The point is that it originated without a divinity. You either agree with that or you don't so disregarding the variations in religion it is actually a black or white issue.

As for sacrifice I meant it more along the lines of altruism rather than martyrdom. You find me an entirely selfish society that functions and prospers and I will amend my statement that sacrifice is necessary to mankind's existence.

And yes I know that Freud was a lunatic but please look at his theory on its own merit.

mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mig_killer2
[QUOTE="Silver_Dragon17"]

[QUOTE="GFahim"]matthew and luke were'nt even born when Jesus (may peace be upon him) was alive. but they are the ones who wrote the bible! soooo, this religion definitely has been invented by man...GFahim

i got this info from the 'history'. but the main thing is that those 'disciples' or whatever who wrote the bible simply tells us that it has been written by man. how simple can it get?!

additionally, if a bible has contradictions, then it cannot be from God because God is Perfect. ...or are you saying He isn't? (May Allah frogive me)

and don't bother saying that there are no contradictions coz we all know that there are. for e.g, in one verse, it says, 'the earth is flat' and in the other verse it says, 'the earth is a circle'. so that means its saying that the earth is a 'flat circle'! which obviously is not. no matter how many contradictios there are, if there is even just one, then it is not from God. its as simple as that.

well, the book of John is written in the present historical text, which implies that it was written by an eye-witness. I actually have a whole bunch of notes from school which can point to John as the author of the Gospel of John
Silver_Dragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Silver_Dragon17

I think anybody who takes the study of history seriously has to come to the conclusion that Christianity, like all religions, are a product of human creativity. They were created during a time of profound human ignorance, and were attempts to come to terms with the world around them.Decessus

I could say the same, except instead of your conclusion, I think history only helps confirm Christianity.

GFahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GFahim

All religions are made by men.hillelslovak

who made you? or do you think you somehow existed by chance? the odds of that (by putting every chemical substances in perspective) is 1/1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000...basically infinite (according to scientists)

Messer_Partei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Messer_Partei
Member since 2007 • 1023 Posts

on the 6th day, god created man.

on the 7th day, man returned the favor.

hahaha, I had to...

mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mig_killer2

[QUOTE="hillelslovak"]All religions are made by men.GFahim

who made you? or do you think you somehow existed by chance? the odds of that (by putting every chemical substances in perspective) is 1/1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000...basically infinite (according to scientists)

what?
mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mig_killer2

[QUOTE="Decessus"]I think anybody who takes the study of history seriously has to come to the conclusion that Christianity, like all religions, are a product of human creativity. They were created during a time of profound human ignorance, and were attempts to come to terms with the world around them.Silver_Dragon17

I could say the same, except instead of your conclusion, I think history only helps confirm Christianity.

how does history prove christianity?
Silver_Dragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Silver_Dragon17

[QUOTE="GFahim"]matthew and luke were'nt even born when Jesus (may peace be upon him) was alive. but they are the ones who wrote the bible! soooo, this religion definitely has been invented by man...GFahim

Siting no sources to back up your claims? :o

The Bible has no contradictions that can't be explained by simple logic. There are bible verses that say that the earth has corners, but obviously, a circle can't have corners. So which is it? Four corners of the earth is still used today as a metaphor. It was used much more commonly back then.

And btw, if one contradiction were to be proven, so what? That disproves the doctrine of Biblical inerrancy, not the entire Bible. PLENTY of Christians believe the Bible is in error.

GFahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GFahim
[QUOTE="GFahim"][QUOTE="Silver_Dragon17"]

[QUOTE="GFahim"]matthew and luke were'nt even born when Jesus (may peace be upon him) was alive. but they are the ones who wrote the bible! soooo, this religion definitely has been invented by man...mig_killer2

well, the book of John is written in the present historical text, which implies that it was written by an eye-witness. I actually have a whole bunch of notes from school which can point to John as the author of the Gospel of John

it doesn't matter who wrote it but the fact that it has been of his (john or whoever) words and that it has at least one contradictions means that logically, it has been invented by man

mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mig_killer2
[QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="GFahim"][QUOTE="Silver_Dragon17"]

it doesn't matter who wrote it but the fact that it has been of his (john or whoever) words and that it has at least one contradictions means that logically, it has been invented by man

so there are contradictions within the book of John?
sandroDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 sandroDX
Member since 2007 • 3661 Posts
Man, every religion was, if any relligion had been made by God then would only exist ONE relligion right? yet there are various relligions in the world who believe in a "diferent" God... so unless there are lots of Gods, christianity and any other relligion was made my man...
GFahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GFahim
[QUOTE="GFahim"][QUOTE="Silver_Dragon17"]

[QUOTE="GFahim"]matthew and luke were'nt even born when Jesus (may peace be upon him) was alive. but they are the ones who wrote the bible! soooo, this religion definitely has been invented by man...Silver_Dragon17

Siting no sources to back up your claims? :o

The Bible has no contradictions that can't be explained by simple logic. There are bible verses that say that the earth has corners, but obviously, a circle can't have corners. So which is it? Four corners of the earth is still used today as a metaphor. It was used much more commonly back then.

And btw, if one contradiction were to be proven, so what? That disproves the doctrine of Biblical inerrancy, not the entire Bible. PLENTY of Christians believe the Bible is in error.

so you are saying that your God isn't Perfect? or the All-Knowing? tut tut, what kind of a believer are you! woe to you!

Silver_Dragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Silver_Dragon17

[QUOTE="Decessus"]I think anybody who takes the study of history seriously has to come to the conclusion that Christianity, like all religions, are a product of human creativity. They were created during a time of profound human ignorance, and were attempts to come to terms with the world around them.mig_killer2

how does history prove christianity?

It doesn't. But it does give reason:

• Archaeology and the Bible from ChristianAnswers.net - discusses the Ebla tablets, the Hittites, Sargon II, Belshazzar
  • Archaeology and the Old Testament by Pat Zukeran - discusses the Hittites, Sodom and Gomorrah, Jericho, King David
  • Archaeological Evidence of the Exodus from the Institute For Biblical and Scientific Studies
  • Lectures on Biblical Archaeology

Qumran Library - online translations of the Dead Sea Scrolls

Extra-biblical references to Jesus and Christianity

Jerusalem Burial Cave Reveals Names, Testimonies of First Christians by Jean Gilman - Inscriptions in first-century catacombs in Jerusalem include names found only in the NT; also evidence points to a particular catacomb as being the probable family tomb of Mary, Martha and Lazarus

• Contemporary Scholarship and the Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ by William Lane Craig
  • The Resurrection: Fact or Fiction? by Pat Zukeran
  • See also Dr. Craig's articles on the historical Jesus

• The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? - Online book by F. F. Bruce
  • Leadership U. has put together a collection of articles on Jesus, including historical evidence for the Gospels and the resurrection.
  • Archaeology and the New Testament by Pat Zukeran
mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mig_killer2
Man, every religion was, if any relligion had been made by God then would only exist ONE relligion right? yet there are various relligions in the world who believe in a "diferent" God... so unless there are lots of Gods, christianity and any other relligion was made my man...sandroDX
you're trying to apply your ideas of what god would do to something which is by definition above our logic
GFahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GFahim
[QUOTE="GFahim"][QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="GFahim"][QUOTE="Silver_Dragon17"]

[QUOTE="GFahim"]matthew and luke were'nt even born when Jesus (may peace be upon him) was alive. but they are the ones who wrote the bible! soooo, this religion definitely has been invented by man...mig_killer2

of course

Silver_Dragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Silver_Dragon17

so you are saying that your God isn't Perfect? or the All-Knowing? tut tut, what kind of a believer are you! woe to you!

GFahim

Still no sources?!:o:o:o

Biblical errancy doesn't mean divine errancy. . .and there are no unexplainable contradictions. I can give over six hundred alledged contradictions that are not contradictions, as well as site a man who wrote a book disproving 800 of them.

Finally, if you want to see errors within the Koran, I have those too. . .

Got to go.

mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mig_killer2
[QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="GFahim"][QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="GFahim"][QUOTE="Silver_Dragon17"]

of course

such as...