If you had a chance to join the 'Army' and fight...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sthadji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#101 sthadji
Member since 2004 • 4682 Posts
Well, it's mandatory here although I don't see the point. But if I had a choice, I wouldn't join the Army. Is it worth fighting for just because some politicians messed up their job?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178855 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="mikeroussos"]i see no point in the 21 century for armies to exist.when 99% of the countries are democratic then were will the threat come from.jointed

Disband your military and see how many countries respect your borders...

Look how Europe is doing....

They still have  militaries...

sentencedogu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 sentencedogu
Member since 2006 • 3823 Posts
I heard people saying that, joining an Army is 'Sick'.
Now what are your thoughts, is it really that bad, joining an army and fighting for your country ?
My thoughts are that when people are really willing in joining an army and risking their life, it's ok with them.
In some countries, you have to join an Army when you're 18..
I would only join if my country is under attack.

marolia

I will have to join the army when I'm 18 and I'll be proud of it
xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 xhellcatx
Member since 2006 • 9015 Posts

Kill one evil to save hundreds of innocents? Isn't that exactly how the enemies soldiers will see you?

I still think that your full of crap.
Lilac_Benjie
Thus the creation of war. But thats not exactly what I was getting at. I was trying to get at a non -war situation. If there was someone, say robbing a bank. And you were one of the unfortunate in that building. But you had the knowledge to take this person who is holding the bank up out. Say your pretty efficiant with karate or whatever. This parts not the point. Lets just say you could kill him easily. You KNOW hes psychotic and you KNOW hes going to start killing people (which is pretty easy to read sometimes). Women, children, and elderly are in that bank, including a few pregnant women. So do you tuck tail and hide under a chair, or do you take him out? AND YES I KNOW THAT A VERY UNLIKELY SITUATION, BUT THAT IS NOT THE DAMN POINT
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#105 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts
[QUOTE="UrbanSpartan125"][QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"][QUOTE="UrbanSpartan125"][QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"]I would rather be killed than kill someone else.
Lilac_Benjie
by fighting for your country you would be helping to protect American values, your family and Families across the US.

I am English. My army once warred with your army, and killed many Americans.

Well if you forgot we beat you, and we could beat you now. if you want to reword that then go ahead but im not going to

I did not forget. You think you could beat us now? Why would you think such a horrible thing? Why would you even want war between England and the States?

And my wording was perfectly apt. Read the entire thread damnit.

Because he is a warmongering conservative and a corporate puppet who is on a mission to make everyone accept capitalism, imperialism, nationalism (only American nationalism), racism, traditional values, homophobia (among other things) who has forgotten that Tony Blair is loyal to the Bush administration, and thinks that Blair is conspiring against the U.S.A.
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
[QUOTE="jointed"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="mikeroussos"]i see no point in the 21 century for armies to exist.when 99% of the countries are democratic then were will the threat come from.LJS9502_basic

They still have a military...

My point was that you don't really need an army in todays world because war has changed, look how bad the troops in Iraq are doing......Armies isnt needed in a war against terrorism.......small military forces, yes mabye, but not unnecessarily big money wasters like america's army.....

And if a huge army was needed both Europe and the US could easily amass one in a couple of weeks.....

the point: Most nations are wasting their money on useless armies (USA , France , Britain for example)

Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Seriously, how do you think the world would operate without them?

A world with no armies whatsoever? Seriously?

Yes...what do you think would happen? Research some history and see why armies became important. You shouldn't be that naive.....you're more intelligent than that.

The major contributor to war is basically religion. Iran potentially developing nuclear weapons after Ahmadinejad said that Israel should be wiped off the face of the earth. The terrorists who are essentially fighting against the effects of Zion missionaries in the middle east.
jerico6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 jerico6
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts
The military is nesiccary. If we didn't have a military, we be living in a screwed up world right now.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
Women, children, and elderly are in that bank, including a few pregnant women. So do you tuck tail and hide under a chair, or do you take him out? AND YES I KNOW THAT A VERY UNLIKELY SITUATION, BUT THAT IS NOT THE DAMN POINT xhellcatx
the women and children should take him out then.
xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 xhellcatx
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="mikeroussos"]i see no point in the 21 century for armies to exist.when 99% of the countries are democratic then were will the threat come from.jointed

My point was that you don't really need an army in todays world because war has changed, look how bad the troops in Iraq are doing......Armies isnt needed in a war against terrorism.......small military forces, yes mabye, but not unnecessarily big money wasters like america's army.....

And if a huge army was needed both Europe and the US could easily amass one in a couple of weeks.....

the point: Most nations are wasting their money on useless armies (USA , France , Britain for example)

How bad the troops in iraq are doing? .....I got a phone call yesterday from my husband who is there right now....hes doin great. Hes actually having fun....(yea i thought it was a lil odd but whatever floats his boat). And well yea...hes doing really really good.

Sorry if your trying to make a point about something else, but ...well that just sorta grabbed me so had to put it on it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 LJS9502_basic

jointed

You missed the entire point.:|   And no....you can't amass an effective military in a couple weeks if you've disbanded them.  Dude....come on.

jerico6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 jerico6
There's no point in arguing against LJ basic. You know he's right.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Seriously, how do you think the world would operate without them?Lilac_Benjie

Yes...what do you think would happen? Research some history and see why armies became important. You shouldn't be that naive.....you're more intelligent than that.

The major contributor to war is basically religion. Iran potentially developing nuclear weapons after Ahmadinejad said that Israel should be wiped off the face of the earth. The terrorists who are essentially fighting against the effects of Zion missionaries in the middle east.

Got to disagree with you ...YET again.  The biggest contributor to war is man's greed and inablility to get along.

xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 xhellcatx
[QUOTE="xhellcatx"] Women, children, and elderly are in that bank, including a few pregnant women. So do you tuck tail and hide under a chair, or do you take him out? AND YES I KNOW THAT A VERY UNLIKELY SITUATION, BUT THAT IS NOT THE DAMN POINT Hewkii
the women and children should take him out then.

Well, I am a woman. yea I would take him out. I would do anything to protect the kids...considering 2 of them would probably be mine seeing as I take mine everywhere with me...o_o Hell hath no fury as a mother whos kids are in danger, Im tellin you. The pure hate and anger from my eyes would probably just melt them into a puddle of goo...but yea. Id do what I could to save them.
jerico6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 jerico6

[QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Seriously, how do you think the world would operate without them?LJS9502_basic

Got to disagree with you ...YET again.  The biggest contributor to war is man's greed and inablility to get along.

Like my sensei said, it's not religion that leads to wars. It's the people who the follow the religions that lead to war.
sentencedogu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 sentencedogu
Member since 2006 • 3823 Posts
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="mikeroussos"]i see no point in the 21 century for armies to exist.when 99% of the countries are democratic then were will the threat come from.xhellcatx

And if a huge army was needed both Europe and the US could easily amass one in a couple of weeks.....

How bad the troops in iraq are doing? .....I got a phone call yesterday from my husband who is there right now....hes doin great. Hes actually having fun....(yea i thought it was a lil odd but whatever floats his boat). And well yea...hes doing really really good.

Sorry if your trying to make a point about something else, but ...well that just sorta grabbed me so had to put it on it.

The point wasn't "how the soldiers feel"
THe point is the outcome of that war
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 LJS9502_basic

sentencedogu

The actual war is over....but the country is not stable and being overrun by insurgents.  :wink:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

You missed the entire point.:|   And no....you can't amass an effective military in a couple weeks if you've disbanded them.  Dude....come on.

yes you can.....Look what the US did in WW1........they could easily create a huge army on par with Britains in a couple of weeks....

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 doubutsuteki

[QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Seriously, how do you think the world would operate without them?LJS9502_basic

Got to disagree with you ...YET again. The biggest contributor to war is man's greed and inablility to get along.

Which is half-right. A few men's greed is what is causing war. Utilizing the mass media to portray the nation of a country as a threat to the own nation's culture, values, etc. is an old trick. Playing the religion card is especially effective against countries, governments and people of the middle east.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 LJS9502_basic

Like my sensei said, it's not religion that leads to wars. It's the people who the follow the religions that lead to war.jerico6

He is correct...and without religion ...different reason same outcome.

xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 xhellcatx

sentencedogu
Well...how can we really tell the outcome of it seeing as its not over yet? I have come to understand that we are finding several stores of weapons. Lots of weapons. Things that go BOOM as well. Every time we find one its a +1 for us from what im to understand. But its pointless arguing with this anymore because ive been through this well over 10 times im sure....and its usually with the same people. And i know IM not going to change my p.o.v., and its obvious they wont either. So. I will agree to disagree and leave it with no other feelings nor harbor resentment towards anyone. ^_^
Avatar image for xxQuadropwnedxx
xxQuadropwnedxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 xxQuadropwnedxx
Member since 2007 • 2201 Posts
"With your shield or on it"
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 LJS9502_basic

yes you can.....Look what the US did in WW1........they could easily create a huge army on par with Britains in a couple of weeks....

jointed

Dude....we didn't create a military for WW1.:|   On par?  Ours is not below Britians.  Why should we clean up the mess in Europe if you don't want to protect your own homeland?  And no....you can't create an EFFECTIVE military in a few weeks.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 LJS9502_basic

Which is half-right. A few men's greed is what is causing war. Utilizing the mass media to portray the nation of a country as a threat to the own nation's culture, values, etc. is an old trick. Playing the religion card is especially effective against countries, governments and people of the middle east.
doubutsuteki

It has ALWAYS been thus....and human nature is human nature...it's more than a few.:wink:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

Dude....we didn't create a military for WW1.:|   On par?  Ours is not below Britians.  Why should we clean up the mess in Europe if you don't want to protect your own homeland?  And no....you can't create an EFFECTIVE military in a few weeks.

yes you did, you had close to no army back then...just your national guard......In a couple of weeks the yanks managed to create and effective army and send it to Europe to fight....

and what "mess in Europe" ? and me not wanting to protect my homeland.....?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 LJS9502_basic

jointed

yes you did, you had close to no army back then...just your national guard......In a couple of weeks the yanks managed to create and effective army and send it to Europe to fight....

The army wasn't as large.....but it wasn't nonexistent.  And I was referring to your statement that an army could be created in a couple weeks if Europe needed one.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 doubutsuteki
[QUOTE="doubutsuteki"]

LJS9502_basic

It has ALWAYS been thus....and human nature is human nature...it's more than a few.:wink:

Human nature is flexible. Evidently by the way it has been molded to fit different kinds of societies in the world  through the ages. Human nature is not at fault, but the system that human beings are born and forced into is. That system, my friend, is called capitalism - whether you believe it or not.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="doubutsuteki"]

doubutsuteki

Human nature is flexible. Evidently by the way it has been molded to fit different kinds of societies in the world  through the ages. Human nature is not at fault, but the system that human beings are born and forced into is. That system, my friend, is called capitalism - whether you believe it or not.

You've just proven my point.  It's the differences that keep people apart....and yes greed.  Read history.  When has any length of time past that a conflict didn't occur somewhere?

War is not new to the capitalistic era....sorry. Again....check out some history.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

The army wasn't as large.....but it wasn't nonexistent.  And I was referring to your statement that an army could be created in a couple weeks if Europe needed one.

If the EU needs an army it can and will create one , mabye not in a couple of weeks (I exaggerated ), but most definitely within a month's time......If it's against a stronger foe like China or the US they would need a little more time before victory can be certain....

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 LJS9502_basic

If the EU needs an army it can and will create one , mabye not in a couple of weeks (I exaggerated ), but most definitely within a month's time......If it's against a stronger foe like China or the US they would need a little more time before victory can be certain....

jointed

In a month's time....Europe would be destroyed.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 doubutsuteki
[QUOTE="doubutsuteki"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="doubutsuteki"]

LJS9502_basic

Human nature is flexible. Evidently by the way it has been molded to fit different kinds of societies in the world through the ages. Human nature is not at fault, but the system that human beings are born and forced into is. That system, my friend, is called capitalism - whether you believe it or not.

You've just proven my point. It's the differences that keep people apart....and yes greed. Read history. When has any length of time past that a conflict didn't occur somewhere?

War is not new to the capitalistic era....sorry. Again....check out some history.

What kind of differences are you talking about?

War certainly predates capitalism. But everywhere I look, the root cause of war has almost in all cases been private property. The capitalist system is the consequence of private property.
mikeroussos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 mikeroussos
Member since 2004 • 491 Posts

OODALOOP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#133 OODALOOP
Member since 2004 • 36350 Posts
If I wasn't in the Marines, I suppose the Army would be my second choice. The thing I like about the Army is the diversity. They've got money and many, many different jobs. We're streamlined in the Marines. Mainly because we're broke. We only get the meager scraps the Navy tosses us after they've built their carriers, subs, and built new multi-million dollar barracks for the SEALs. It would be nice to receive funding equal to the other branches from the DoD.
fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#134 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts
Yes i would and intend on doing so in a couple of years probably around my 21st birthday.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 LJS9502_basic

What kind of differences are you talking about?

War certainly predates capitalism. But everywhere I look, the root cause of war has almost in all cases been private property. The capitalist system is the consequence of private property.
doubutsuteki

Which comes down to greed....which was my initial statement.  If you are going to agree....why not save time and not disagree.:|

Lance_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#136 Lance_C
Member since 2004 • 34544 Posts
Nope, not at this age... I still got a bright future ahead of me... well, somewhat then..
TheManOfChoice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 TheManOfChoice
Member since 2003 • 4148 Posts
I would "join" if it was WW3 or something, but even then I wouldn't just go and ask to sign up, Canada would have to have been personally attacked and they would have to conscript me. But if they did, I would go as fast as I could.
Xx_CYC756_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Xx_CYC756_xX
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts
I said yes, mainly because I'm already planning to join the Air Force.
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Donkey_Puncher
Member since 2005 • 5083 Posts

People don't need to serve in the Military to serve our country.  Be it paying taxes, running a civil duty like being mayor or in politics, or by simply benefiting society in a good manner. 

People get too caught up in "The Military Gives you Honor" slogans blasted on TV.  Honor isn't awared to anyone who automatically joins it.  There is more honor is a grown man working to provide his children and family with sustinence rather than an 18 year old out of high school joining the army.  This is where I believe we have our priorities mixed up. 

flclisfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 flclisfun
Member since 2007 • 583 Posts
I wouldn't want kill anybody, however I might join as a medic if the contry is under attack...
Flaming_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#141 Flaming_Ape
Member since 2007 • 3246 Posts
I'd probably join if I had the oppurtunity, but at the same time it would be a pretty hard choice because I'm not willing to end my life so soon in battle.
fartgorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 fartgorilla
Member since 2005 • 785 Posts
I wouldn't dare risk my life and public funding for no good reason -- and the only good reason there is is to defend my country in the case of a direct attack.
OODALOOP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 OODALOOP

People don't need to serve in the Military to serve our country. Be it paying taxes, running a civil duty like being mayor or in politics, or by simply benefiting society in a good manner.

People get too caught up in "The Military Gives you Honor" slogans blasted on TV. Honor isn't awared to anyone who automatically joins it. There is more honor is a grown man working to provide his children and family with sustinence rather than an 18 year old out of high school joining the army. This is where I believe we have our priorities mixed up.

Donkey_Puncher
I agree and disagree. Simply joining the military means little. We have more than enough screwups that find their way into the military and then ride that out as their one claim to fame the rest of their lives. As if laying low in the military for four years provides one with a lifetime of excuses. The military doesn't make you honorable, it merely provides a proving ground where you're honor can be perpetually tested. You can certainly serve the nation in many ways, and that is commendable, but those that do at great risk to themselves for others is a thing which great society is made of. I see nothing ill-natured about valuing selflessness.
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Donkey_Puncher
Member since 2005 • 5083 Posts
[QUOTE="Donkey_Puncher"]

People don't need to serve in the Military to serve our country. Be it paying taxes, running a civil duty like being mayor or in politics, or by simply benefiting society in a good manner.

People get too caught up in "The Military Gives you Honor" slogans blasted on TV. Honor isn't awared to anyone who automatically joins it. There is more honor is a grown man working to provide his children and family with sustinence rather than an 18 year old out of high school joining the army. This is where I believe we have our priorities mixed up.

bt_the_great_78

I agree and disagree. Simply joining the military means little. We have more than enough screwups that find their way into the military and then ride that out as their one claim to fame the rest of their lives. As if laying low in the military for four years provides one with a lifetime of excuses. The military doesn't make you honorable, it merely provides a proving ground where you're honor can be perpetually tested. You can certainly serve the nation in many ways, and that is commendable, but those that do at great risk to themselves for others is a thing which great society is made of. I see nothing ill-natured about valuing selflessness.

I do view the military as an honor bound profession to many.  They do, as you have said, lay down their life to protect the country in many ways.  But I still feel as if the military flaunts "HONOR" around in order to recruit many of it's younger angsty teen members.

To me, I see honor as something that is gained by benefiting society selfishlessy in many ways.  I would certainly grant honor to scientists working on cure and vaccines rather than young new recruits. 

That's just me though.  It gets tough seeing as someone like me who gets a 4 year degree and works on stuff (like the above I mentioned) only to get overlooked and get less gratification than a mere troop in the service.

mastersword007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 mastersword007
Member since 2005 • 6630 Posts
If my country is being attacked, then of course.
Doomlike_Mitc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#146 Doomlike_Mitc
Member since 2006 • 4912 Posts
Yes, the western countries will crush the other countries someday... and I would most like it to help them a hand. 
CaptHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 CaptHawkeye
Member since 2004 • 13977 Posts

jointed

jointed, where exactly do you get your information. No army at all? Yeah, I guess Roosevelt's Great White Fleet and the Spanish American war went completely over your head.

OODALOOP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 OODALOOP
[QUOTE="bt_the_great_78"][QUOTE="Donkey_Puncher"]

Donkey_Puncher

I do view the military as an honor bound profession to many. They do, as you have said, lay down their life to protect the country in many ways. But I still feel as if the military flaunts "HONOR" around in order to recruit many of it's younger angsty teen members.

To me, I see honor as something that is gained by benefiting society selfishlessy in many ways. I would certainly grant honor to scientists working on cure and vaccines rather than young new recruits.

That's just me though. It gets tough seeing as someone like me who gets a 4 year degree and works on stuff (like the above I mentioned) only to get overlooked and get less gratification than a mere troop in the service.

I imagine it has a lot to do with perspective and personal experience, because I've witnessed far more intolerance and disrespect from this generation towards the military than in support of it. In fact, in my opinion, it's been the popular sentiment in our country since Vietnam despite an ephemeral burst of patriotic fervor directly following 9/11.
CaptHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 CaptHawkeye

i see no point in the 21 century for armies to exist.when 99% of the countries are democratic then were will the threat come from.mikeroussos

When 99% of a post is stupid, well, you get the idea.

CaptHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 CaptHawkeye

[QUOTE="UrbanSpartan125"][QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"]I would rather be killed than kill someone else.
Lilac_Benjie
by fighting for your country you would be helping to protect American values, your family and Families across the US.

I am English. My army once warred with your army, and killed many Americans.

What's your point?