If European countries never lost their colonies, would the world be better off?

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts

I mean, to be perfectly honest most haven't turned out too great after gaining independence.

Sure the Europeans were asshats back then, but in modern times I think they're doing quite well, while places like Africa and the Middle-East are not.

Would Chad be better off under French rule? Nigeria under British? Libya under Italian?

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#2 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
America would be better off under British rule? I agree!
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

No?

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Well that depends. Would I have a British accent if they did? If so, then I say yes.
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
America would be better off under British rule? I agree!SolidSnake35
Well I can't say our government has turned out particularly well... If we had just suffered through the time of kings like everyone else we'd have been fine.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

England's colonies have mostly done well. The rest of the european colonies. . . . . not so much. So let England rule the world!

3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 3eyedrazorback
Member since 2005 • 16380 Posts
I say the world is quite fine the way it is.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Nah, progress would have been slower if you ask me.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts
how about if they never colonized all over the freaking place in the first place..
Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
how about if they never colonized all over the freaking place in the first place..comp_atkins
Why not?
Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#12 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

England's colonies have mostly done well. The rest of the european colonies. . . . . not so much. So let England rule the world!

sonicare
Cup of tea in every hand an a crumpet in every mouth!
stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
America would be better off under British rule? I agree!SolidSnake35
America is one of the only exceptions I can think of. And who knows, it wasn't as if America was doing badly when the British ruled. America still could have turned out very well.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

sonicare
Stop calling refering to the entire country as 'England', it's annoying to someone who is British and isn't English.
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts
[QUOTE="MushroomWig"][QUOTE="sonicare"]

Stop calling refering to the entire country as 'England', it's annoying to someone who is British and isn't English.

...Maybe he wants England to rule the world. Just England. Y'know?
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
[QUOTE="Silverbond"][QUOTE="MushroomWig"][QUOTE="sonicare"]

Well he refered to 'Englands' colonies.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#17 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
There would probably be a whole lot more slaves.
Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

Seeing as European empires caused the problems facing Africa and the like, I don't think so.

Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gallion-Beast
Member since 2005 • 35803 Posts
[QUOTE="Silverbond"][QUOTE="MushroomWig"] Stop calling refering to the entire country as 'England', it's annoying to someone who is British and isn't English.MushroomWig

Well he refered to 'Englands' colonies.

Like Scotland and Wales? :P
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts

Africa would be better off right now. Europeans still think they know whats best for everyone. Mind your damn business.

supergoat777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 supergoat777
Member since 2010 • 1470 Posts

I mean, to be perfectly honest most haven't turned out too great after gaining independence.

Sure the Europeans were asshats back then, but in modern times I think they're doing quite well, while places like Africa and the Middle-East are not.

Would Chad be better off under French rule? Nigeria under British? Libya under Italian?

Head_of_games

ya

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Sure the constant genocide the europeans kept practicing in their colonies is something we all should aspire to go back to.... NOT
lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
That would not happen. The problem was decolonization was not gradual like it was for Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. The French gave their colonies an ultimatum, so French colonies had no chance from the beginning. The rest didn't have a better send off. I'm only talking about Africa here. Asia more or less developed well.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kuraimen
That would not happen. The problem was decolonization was not gradual like it was for Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. The French gave their colonies an ultimatum, so French colonies had no chance from the beginning. The rest didn't have a better send off. I'm only talking about Africa here. Asia more or less developed well.lancelot200
The main problem was that they failed to kill or maim the indigenous population like they did in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

Europe pretty much made the modern world. They did a great job at moving the world forward. Many places would still be in the stone age without them .

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kuraimen

Europe pretty much made the modern world. They did a great job at moving the world forward. Many places would still be in the stone age without them .

dontshackzmii
I consider the "stone age" forward in many ways compared to what we have today.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Europe: Yeah

Rest of the world: no

Most of Africa: Actually possible. Most African nations are poor, weak, and corrupt. Under European Rule atleast they would have less wars and more infrastructure.

Though Europe never touching Africa to begin with would be the best for them.

ToastRider11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ToastRider11
Member since 2010 • 2573 Posts

Probably not. Slavery would most likely still be accepted and legal. And if England had total control over its colonies, the USA would not exist!

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

dercoo

Well where would Europe be today if they didnt have any countries to take advantage of?

America would have a Indian culture.

Africa would have been similar with black tribes and Arabian people in the north.

I could imagine Asia being the central power of human development instead of Europe.

With the middle east second and Europe third

While Oceania,north and south America having their own rules

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

My advice to all Aussies and Kiwis... please continue to sing God Saves The Queen because they are the best Colonial. look at many of the former british colonial country (except for Singapore, HK and Canada) ...

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dercoo

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

Half-Way

Well where would Europe be today if they didnt have any countries to take advantage of?

Africa would have been similar with black tribes and Arabian people in the north.

I could imagine Asia being the central power of human development instead of Europe.

By them, I meant Africa

Europe completely throw off the political balance in Africa.

lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lancelot200

[QUOTE="lancelot200"]That would not happen. The problem was decolonization was not gradual like it was for Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. The French gave their colonies an ultimatum, so French colonies had no chance from the beginning. The rest didn't have a better send off. I'm only talking about Africa here. Asia more or less developed well.kuraimen
The main problem was that they failed to kill or maim the indigenous population like they did in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Are you blaming national turmoil on racial factors?

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

MushroomWig

England controlled everything at the time so historically I think it's right to use England.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

dercoo

By them, I meant Africa

No i totally got you. And i agree.

the comment was a little sarcastic.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

dontshackzmii

Wasn't the middle east ahead of Europe in terms of advancement way back in the day? Secondly how did they move the world forward exactly? All they did was suck colony's resources, destroy their political structure (and replaced it with their own), attacked their cultures and spread their religions.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dercoo

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

Half-Way

By them, I meant Africa

No i totally got you. And i agree.

the comment was a little sarcastic.

Internet kills sarcasm yet again

:P

lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lancelot200

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

Espada12

Wasn't the middle east ahead of Europe in terms of advancement way back in the day? Secondly how did they move the world forward exactly? All they did was suck colony's resources, destroy their political structure (and replaced it with their own), attacked their cultures and spread their religions.

Through the Industrial revolution and the Enlightenment. It trickled down through colonialism. In the early Middle Ages (the dark age), the middle east and Arabian kingdoms were more advanced, but once Europe was formed things changed.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="lancelot200"]That would not happen. The problem was decolonization was not gradual like it was for Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. The French gave their colonies an ultimatum, so French colonies had no chance from the beginning. The rest didn't have a better send off. I'm only talking about Africa here. Asia more or less developed well.lancelot200

Are you blaming national turmoil on racial factors?

National turmoil? the europeans basically came and killed the cultures they occupied. Few managed not being exterminated almost completely. The hell with enlightment, progress and all that crap the indoeuropean culture has probably been the most murderous and damaging culture in the history of humanity.
lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lancelot200

National turmoil? the europeans basically came and killed the cultures they occupied. Few managed not being exterminated almost completely. The hell with enlightment, progress and all that crap the indoeuropean culture has probably been the most murderous and damaging culture in the history of humanity.kuraimen
You aren't answering the question. It sounded to me you believe Canada, New Zealand, and Australia succeeded because they were formed by the white man. Naturally, it means you believe Africa has difficulties because it is not white... Surely, that cannot be your original claim.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] National turmoil? the europeans basically came and killed the cultures they occupied. Few managed not being exterminated almost completely. The hell with enlightment, progress and all that crap the indoeuropean culture has probably been the most murderous and damaging culture in the history of humanity.lancelot200

You aren't answering the question. It sounded to me you believe Canada, New Zealand, and Australia succeeded because they were formed by the white man. Naturally, it means you believe Africa has difficulties because it is not white... Surely, that cannot be your original claim.

No I said it suceeded because the ones that colonized it managed to replace the indigenous population with their own people. Of course you would succeed imposing your culture in a place if you kill everyone there and bring your people. But when you try to impose your culture on people with a very different one and at different stages of development then of course it is going to fail most of the time, ie Africa.
CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

Well since it's really impossible to know the outcome of something like that I can't really give an opinion either way. In other words, don't know.

00-Riddick-00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 00-Riddick-00
Member since 2009 • 18884 Posts
Does'nt really matter now does it?
stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts

Probably not. Slavery would most likely still be accepted and legal. And if England had total control over its colonies, the USA would not exist!

ToastRider11

Err, why exactly? If anything, slavery would have ended earlier. Slavery was illegal in England before America was even formed (1772 to be exact).

chris_yz80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chris_yz80
Member since 2004 • 1219 Posts

National turmoil? the europeans basically came and killed the cultures they occupied. Few managed not being exterminated almost completely. The hell with enlightment, progress and all that crap the indoeuropean culture has probably been the most murderous and damaging culture in the history of humanity.kuraimen

No I said it suceeded because the ones that colonized it managed to replace the indigenous population with their own people. Of course you would succeed imposing your culture in a place if you kill everyone there and bring your people. But when you try to impose your culture on people with a very different one and at different stages of development then of course it is going to fail most of the time, ie Africa.

Yeah you have no idea what happened in aus do you?

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

chris_yz80

We essentially killed most of the Aboriginies. The stolen generation etc... pretty much exactly what the poster you quoted was suggesting.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] You aren't answering the question. It sounded to me you believe Canada, New Zealand, and Australia succeeded because they were formed by the white man. Naturally, it means you believe Africa has difficulties because it is not white... Surely, that cannot be your original claim.

chris_yz80

I'm slightly familiar yes. I know that Australia is not run by indigenous people now and they are a minority so that means the colonizers pretty much displaced the indigenous population.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Of course not.. And the Middle East is a glaring reminder of the mandates absolutely failing.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Only in some cases.
chris_yz80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 chris_yz80
Member since 2004 • 1219 Posts
[QUOTE="chris_yz80"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] No I said it suceeded because the ones that colonized it managed to replace the indigenous population with their own people. Of course you would succeed imposing your culture in a place if you kill everyone there and bring your people. But when you try to impose your culture on people with a very different one and at different stages of development then of course it is going to fail most of the time, ie Africa.kuraimen

I'm slightly familiar yes. I know that Australia is not run by indigenous people now and they are a minority so that means the colonizers pretty much displaced the indigenous population.

Yeah i will explain it like this, basically there was not a lot of aboriginies relative to british colonists and as such they were a minority pretty soon after colonisation (in the colonised areas) even before they started dying to euro diseases