If a potato travels at 1000mph, will it bake?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

i dont think a potato has enough mass to reach 1000 mph

its terminal velocity is probably well below that

Whatuptho
Nobody said that you weren't for example shooting it from a cannon (hypotheticaly) :P Terminal velocity will only affect the top speed in a free fall from no speed, you can exceed the terminal velocity of something by just propeling it over that. So you can shoot the potato 1000 mph (but I would imagine it would spontaneously turn to mashed potatoes after leaving the barrel), or put it on a plane and propell it to that speed.
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 chaplainDMK
[QUOTE="Whatuptho"]

put it this way

mach 1 is 761 mph

mach 2 is 1522 mph (well above the speed tc said)

now some jets are known to fly faster than mach 2 (just throwing this out for reference)

if a jet was flying past mach 1 (761mph) trying to go into mach 2 (1522mph) and the pilot released a potato in between (around 1000mph), for the lulz, do you think it would bake?

i really dont think so tbh

Dark__Link
That's not traveling at 1000 mph, that's decelerating from 1000 mph. The force of the drag is not being used to heat the potato, but rather slow it down. The thread asks if the potato is propelled, by whatever means, at 1000 mph.

Then put it on a line behind a Sr-71
Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts
Unlikely, since the friction heat would all be on the leading surface of the... uh... potato?xaos
Good thing there's no heat friction then! ...unless you mean the air friction which would turn potentially part of its kinetic and what-not energy to heat....but the potato has a pretty aerodynamic shape in order to minimize drag. Now go make a potato travel at 3 x10^8 m/s and see if it's baked, OP.
MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

Okay, how about this scenario.

We wrap the potato in multiple layers of aluminum foil (must be premium brand, I'm thinking Reynolds). Second, we cover each side of the potato with one of those heat protecting tiles they put on the space shuttle. Launch it from high orbit, and as long as it doesn'tdisintegrate coming through, the friction heat should thoroughly bake the potato. It'll probably go quite a bit faster than 1000 mph however. I say we organize a scientific team to test this theory at once! I base all this on absolutely nothing.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Chuck Norris once threw a potato 1000 mph and it burn up in the sun.

CHOASXIII

Chuck Norris once laughed at a Chuck Norris joke. I knew he had a bad humour but this!

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 chaplainDMK

Okay, how about this scenario.

We wrap the potato in multiple layers of aluminum foil (must be premium brand, I'm thinking Reynolds). Second, we cover each side of the potato with one of those heat protecting tiles they put on the space shuttle. Launch it from high orbit, and as long as it doesn'tdisintegrate coming through, the friction heat should thoroughly bake the potato. It'll probably go quite a bit faster than 1000 mph however. I say we organize a scientific team to test this theory at once! I base all this on absolutely nothing.

MystikFollower
It depends, in the entry phase of the atmosphere where air density is low it would probably exceed 1000 mph, but it would slow down quite considerably when it would reach ground level because of the whole terminal velocity thing... :P