If a potato travels at 1000mph, will it bake?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

samuraisage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 samuraisage
Member since 2009 • 115 Posts

^ Yeah basically, thats what this topic is about.........

|

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

Hm I would think so. I really have no clue though.

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

Chuck Norris once threw a potato 1000 mph and it burn up in the sun.

samuraisage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 samuraisage

CHOASXIII

LOL

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts

CHOASXIII

Bruce Lee just stared at it and it turned into ashes.

samuraisage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 samuraisage

[QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]

Bloodseeker23

Bruce Lee just started at it and it turned into ashes.

LOL

Whatuptho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Whatuptho
Member since 2008 • 392 Posts

i dont think a potato has enough mass to reach 1000 mph

its terminal velocity is probably well below that

samuraisage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 samuraisage

Whatuptho

Thanks

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i think it'd disintegrate before it reaches that speed.
Rutzfuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Rutzfuz
Member since 2010 • 1202 Posts

It would probably tear apart.

stevoqwerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 stevoqwerty
Member since 2006 • 4029 Posts

It won't bake, it'll disintergrate.

samuraisage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 samuraisage

Ohhh.....will it explode though?

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

stevoqwerty

Is there a velocity at which the potato could achieve baking status though?

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

Send it into Mythbusters.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts
If you travel at 1000mph, will you bake?
exiledsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 exiledsnake
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts
It'll turn into mashed potatoes first.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
If you travel at 1000mph, will you bake?Deihjan
Only if your a potato
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
I suggest you look up something called the Sound Barrier. ;)
df853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 df853
Member since 2004 • 1433 Posts

Since you haven't specified any conditions for the environment the potato is traveling through, I'm assuming it's in a vaccuum so like in space or something. If that is the case, it would probably explode because it has water in it and there would be 0 atmosphere... but ignoring that fact for a minute, the potato would have no air resistance so it could travel near the speed of light and still not bake. So you could get the potato going 99% the speed of light and then if it entered Earth's atmosphere it would definitely bake then. In fact, it'd be going so fast, it'd probably bake to the point that it turned to plasma and then flew through the Earth and disrupted the core and cause the planet to rip a hole in the space/time continuum and then it'd create a black hole and destroy the Earth.

So... to answer your question... if a potato went too fast, it would destroy the planet. Do you really want to be responsible for that? I don't think so. Don't try this at home.

SuperBobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SuperBobz
Member since 2009 • 613 Posts

Since you haven't specified any conditions for the environment the potato is traveling through, I'm assuming it's in a vaccuum so like in space or something. If that is the case, it would probably explode because it has water in it and there would be 0 atmosphere... but ignoring that fact for a minute, the potato would have no air resistance so it could travel near the speed of light and still not bake. So you could get the potato going 99% the speed of light and then if it entered Earth's atmosphere it would definitely bake then. In fact, it'd be going so fast, it'd probably bake to the point that it turned to plasma and then flew through the Earth and disrupted the core and cause the planet to rip a hole in the space/time continuum and then it'd create a black hole and destroy the Earth.

So... to answer your question... if a potato went too fast, it would destroy the planet. Do you really want to be responsible for that? I don't think so. Don't try this at home.

df853

If that's true potato cannons should be illegal. :o

:P

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Deihjan

[QUOTE="df853"]

SuperBobz

If that's true potato cannons should be illegal. :o

:P

Potato cannons...in vacuum/space. :P
rockerbikie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 rockerbikie
Member since 2010 • 10027 Posts

IT would just distingrate.

samuraisage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 samuraisage

df853

OHHHHHHH......um.....thanks but I was asking if it traveled 1000 miles an hour not at the speed of light.

MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#26 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
i have no clue. i dont know a lot about physics considering i never took the subject. i would assume so though considering it is going that fast
Jada_Kiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jada_Kiss
Member since 2004 • 228 Posts

if the potato had the ability to withstand the drag force applied to it, then it would. If i remember correctly, shockwaves after passing mach1 speeds cause rapid temperature increases. So it would bake faster :)

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Depends on where it is. If it's in the Earth's atmosphere, it wouldn't bake but instead it would explode with a sonic boom after a short moment of travel.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Deihjan

rockerbikie

No. No it wouldn't. Not unless it hits something. It's called Newton's first law

Zyrokin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zyrokin
Member since 2010 • 1756 Posts

df853

This was the perfect answer. Nothing else will do.

rockerbikie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 rockerbikie
Member since 2010 • 10027 Posts
[QUOTE="Deihjan"]

[QUOTE="rockerbikie"]

No. No it wouldn't. Not unless it hits something. It's called Newton's first law

Damn. I've been told. Don't remember Newton's law. I've always like English more than Science.
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Deihjan

[QUOTE="Deihjan"]

[QUOTE="rockerbikie"]

rockerbikie

Damn. I've been told. Don't remember Newton's law. I've always like English more than Science.

Just watch the linked video, it will make Science much more fun and understandable.

_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 _R34LiTY_
Member since 2008 • 3331 Posts

stevoqwerty

i wonder then if disintergrated potatoes taste as good as smashed potatoes

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Deihjan

[QUOTE="stevoqwerty"]

_R34LiTY_

Uncooked mashed potato.. Lots of salt, perhaps.
Zyrokin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Zyrokin

[QUOTE="stevoqwerty"]

_R34LiTY_

One thing is for sure, it wouldn't taste better than mashed potatoes.

auron_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 auron_16
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
That's how I like my fries :)
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Unlikely, since the friction heat would all be on the leading surface of the... uh... potato?
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
It won't bake.
Zyrokin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zyrokin

Unlikely, since the friction heat would all be on the leading surface of the... uh... potato?xaos

Why did that sound so dirty? Is it just because you said it, or because I read it?

jessmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 jessmaster13
Member since 2009 • 3170 Posts

Ohhh.....will it explode though?

samuraisage

Will it blend?

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
I got bored so I did a little math... If terminal velocity is =SQRT((2*m*g)/(rhoA*Cd*A)) and also =SQRT(g*d*(rhoP/rhoA)) where m=mass of potato; g=local gravity; rhoA=density of sea level air; rhoP=density of sea level... potato; Cd=drag coefficient of... potato; A=cross-sectional area of potato; and d=diameter of potato then solving for Cd=(2*m)/(d*rhoP*A) using the same parameters as before and assuming that: rhoP = about 1.01 g/cm^3 (since potatoes sink in fresh water (1.0 g/cm^3) but float in salt water (~1.025 g/cm^3)) rhoA = 0.00125 g/cm^3 at sea level, standard day conditions d = 6.0 cm m = 150 g (general consensus on the average weight of a Russet potato ... I can't believe I'm actually doing this) g = 9.81 m/s^2 (although it just cancels out) A = 28.3 cm^2 (based on d) then solving for Cd yields a dimensionless quantity of 1.75 (seems very high but we'll go with it) force of drag D = (1/2)*rhoA*A*Cd*V^2 where V is the velocity (1000 mph = 447 m/s) and all other parameters are as they were before then D = 638 Newtons (or around 142 pounds of force resisting its motion) energy is equivalent to work which is force multiplied by a distance so E = D*distance, but skip ahead for now after that, it gets much, much more complicated, but if you decided to take power input as thermal input, then E = Q = m*S*T where Q = thermal input; m = mass of potato; and S = specific heat capacity of potato and you assume S = S-water, which is 4.187 kJ/kgK, and T is in Kelvin then if you make all the necessary conversions (and there are a lot) the potato will, at 1000 mph, take roughly 475 meters (or about 0.30 miles) to heat up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, or the temperature at which you might bake a potato keep in mind that this makes a lot of (likely wrong) assumptions, and of course such heat increase would not be linear at all
WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts

Once the thing got to around 768mph (speed of sound) then broke the sound barrier, the resulting pressure wave would destroy the thing anyway, so no, it would'nt bake at 1000mph, it'd be in a thousand pieces, though the pieces themselves may bake...

stevoqwerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 stevoqwerty
Member since 2006 • 4029 Posts

I got bored so I did a little math... If terminal velocity is =SQRT((2*m*g)/(rhoA*Cd*A)) and also =SQRT(g*d*(rhoP/rhoA)) where m=mass of potato; g=local gravity; rhoA=density of sea level air; rhoP=density of sea level... potato; Cd=drag coefficient of... potato; A=cross-sectional area of potato; and d=diameter of potato then solving for Cd=(2*m)/(d*rhoP*A) using the same parameters as before and assuming that: rhoP = about 1.01 g/cm^3 (since potatoes sink in fresh water (1.0 g/cm^3) but float in salt water (~1.025 g/cm^3)) rhoA = 0.00125 g/cm^3 at sea level, standard day conditions d = 6.0 cm m = 150 g (general consensus on the average weight of a Russet potato ... I can't believe I'm actually doing this) g = 9.81 m/s^2 (although it just cancels out) A = 28.3 cm^2 (based on d) then solving for Cd yields a dimensionless quantity of 1.75 (seems very high but we'll go with it) force of drag D = (1/2)*rhoA*A*Cd*V^2 where V is the velocity (1000 mph = 447 m/s) and all other parameters are as they were before then D = 638 Newtons (or around 142 pounds of force resisting its motion) energy is equivalent to work which is force multiplied by a distance so E = D*distance, but skip ahead for now after that, it gets much, much more complicated, but if you decided to take power input as thermal input, then E = Q = m*S*T where Q = thermal input; m = mass of potato; and S = specific heat capacity of potato and you assume S = S-water, which is 4.187 kJ/kgK, and T is in Kelvin then if you make all the necessary conversions (and there are a lot) the potato will, at 1000 mph, take roughly 475 meters (or about 0.30 miles) to heat up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, or the temperature at which you might bake a potato keep in mind that this makes a lot of (likely wrong) assumptions, and of course such heat increase would not be linear at allDark__Link

:| Um... okay... Einstein.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dark__Link

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"]I got bored so I did a little math... If terminal velocity is =SQRT((2*m*g)/(rhoA*Cd*A)) and also =SQRT(g*d*(rhoP/rhoA)) where m=mass of potato; g=local gravity; rhoA=density of sea level air; rhoP=density of sea level... potato; Cd=drag coefficient of... potato; A=cross-sectional area of potato; and d=diameter of potato then solving for Cd=(2*m)/(d*rhoP*A) using the same parameters as before and assuming that: rhoP = about 1.01 g/cm^3 (since potatoes sink in fresh water (1.0 g/cm^3) but float in salt water (~1.025 g/cm^3)) rhoA = 0.00125 g/cm^3 at sea level, standard day conditions d = 6.0 cm m = 150 g (general consensus on the average weight of a Russet potato ... I can't believe I'm actually doing this) g = 9.81 m/s^2 (although it just cancels out) A = 28.3 cm^2 (based on d) then solving for Cd yields a dimensionless quantity of 1.75 (seems very high but we'll go with it) force of drag D = (1/2)*rhoA*A*Cd*V^2 where V is the velocity (1000 mph = 447 m/s) and all other parameters are as they were before then D = 638 Newtons (or around 142 pounds of force resisting its motion) energy is equivalent to work which is force multiplied by a distance so E = D*distance, but skip ahead for now after that, it gets much, much more complicated, but if you decided to take power input as thermal input, then E = Q = m*S*T where Q = thermal input; m = mass of potato; and S = specific heat capacity of potato and you assume S = S-water, which is 4.187 kJ/kgK, and T is in Kelvin then if you make all the necessary conversions (and there are a lot) the potato will, at 1000 mph, take roughly 475 meters (or about 0.30 miles) to heat up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, or the temperature at which you might bake a potato keep in mind that this makes a lot of (likely wrong) assumptions, and of course such heat increase would not be linear at allstevoqwerty

:| Um... okay... Einstein.

None of that is very complicated at all... pretty much because it's all assumptions and hugely inaccurate.
Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts

Whatuptho
What if something else was traveling 1000 mph and the potato was on it, and then it dropped off the object traveling 1000 mph
Whatuptho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Whatuptho

put it this way

mach 1 is 761 mph

mach 2 is 1522 mph (well above the speed tc said)

now some jets are known to fly faster than mach 2 (just throwing this out for reference)

if a jet was flying past mach 1 (761mph) trying to go into mach 2 (1522mph) and the pilot released a potato in between (around 1000mph), for the lulz, do you think it would bake?

i really dont think so tbh

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

I have no clue. If it did that would be pretty neat to say the least.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dark__Link

put it this way

mach 1 is 761 mph

mach 2 is 1522 mph (well above the speed tc said)

now some jets are known to fly faster than mach 2 (just throwing this out for reference)

if a jet was flying past mach 1 (761mph) trying to go into mach 2 (1522mph) and the pilot released a potato in between (around 1000mph), for the lulz, do you think it would bake?

i really dont think so tbh

Whatuptho
That's not traveling at 1000 mph, that's decelerating from 1000 mph. The force of the drag is not being used to heat the potato, but rather slow it down. The thread asks if the potato is propelled, by whatever means, at 1000 mph.
Whatuptho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Whatuptho

[QUOTE="Whatuptho"] That's not traveling at 1000 mph, that's decelerating from 1000 mph. The force of the drag is not being used to heat the potato, but rather slow it down. The thread asks if the potato is propelled, by whatever means, at 1000 mph.Dark__Link

yeah thats true

but i was answering Agent Zeros question about the potato being dropped from an object at 100mph

[QUOTE="Whatuptho"]

Agent-Zero

What if something else was traveling 1000 mph and the potato was on it, and then it dropped off the object traveling 1000 mph

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

stevoqwerty

Agreed, the friction and heat of atmospheric reentry does that to satellites in a decaying orbit.

That's a pretty fast potato - at standard sea level conditions at 15 C, Mach 1 = 761.2 mph.