I saw a TV show about 2012...

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Durhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 Durhamster
Member since 2007 • 859 Posts
Every generation has thought they will see the end of the world or some BS. This is no different.
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
We'll just have to wait and see. Nobody really knows for sure...
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
Every generation has thought they will see the end of the world or some BS. This is no different.Durhamster
indeed, the date will come and pass like all the ones before, and people will act like it was just a mistake in calculation or translation or blah blah,and then someone will decide a new date which will yet again come and go with nothin happenin
Durhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#54 Durhamster
Member since 2007 • 859 Posts

[QUOTE="Durhamster"]Every generation has thought they will see the end of the world or some BS. This is no different.-DirtySanchez-
indeed, the date will come and pass like all the ones before, and people will act like it was just a mistake in calculation or translation or blah blah,and then someone will decide a new date which will yet again come and go with nothin happenin

Exactly, examples: Everyone in both World Wars thought it was the end of the world. Also people thought the cold war would cause the end of the world. The year 2000, and the year 1900. Theres plenty of others.

snakes_codec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 snakes_codec
Member since 2008 • 2754 Posts

This along with Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster and Aliens visiting earth are all absolutely fake.hoola

the Lochness Monster is real Ive seen it .

chester706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 chester706
Member since 2007 • 3856 Posts
They calculated this happening in 2003 with planet X or Nibirtue or something. It didnt. I think it is BS.
Katafran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Katafran
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts

We are already aligned with the center of the universe and the supermassive black hole at the center of it. Remember that the positioning is relative; we're already aligned. Anyway, assuming that there is an absolute alignment and we reach it, it will still have the same effect that it has now. Keep in mind that alignment is irrelevant here. What is relevant is the mass and the distance. Since alignment is irrelevant, we can already do that calculation now and we'd get the same result in 2012. You can read more about this here.
As for the poles.. it has happened in the past many times. Birds wont drop dead.DeeJayInphinity

Now ok, when I went on my honeymoon, we took a tour of Mayan Ruins and our guide was actually telling us about this. The way he explained it made is seem as if we were reaching the closest point to the center of the milky way(black hole) and that it would pull the earth to it's side, as in the equator would now be the prime meridian and vice versa. That certainly makes it seem like more of an apocolypse.

At any rate, I don't think anything will happen.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"]We are already aligned with the center of the universe and the supermassive black hole at the center of it. Remember that the positioning is relative; we're already aligned. Anyway, assuming that there is an absolute alignment and we reach it, it will still have the same effect that it has now. Keep in mind that alignment is irrelevant here. What is relevant is the mass and the distance. Since alignment is irrelevant, we can already do that calculation now and we'd get the same result in 2012. You can read more about this here.
As for the poles.. it has happened in the past many times. Birds wont drop dead.Katafran

Now ok, when I went on my honeymoon, we took a tour of Mayan Ruins and our guide was actually telling us about this. The way he explained it made is seem as if we were reaching the closest point to the center of the milky way(black hole) and that it would pull the earth to it's side, as in the equator would now be the prime meridian and vice versa. That certainly makes it seem like more of an apocolypse.

Your guide does not know what he's talking about :( We are 26,000 LY from the galactic core; no variance in our orbit around the core is going to significantly change the gravitational influence of the galaxy, and certainly isn't going to introduce magical shear forces to create a new rotational axis, any more than orbiting the sun causes the planets to flop on their sides twice a year at perihelion.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"]We are already aligned with the center of the universe and the supermassive black hole at the center of it. Remember that the positioning is relative; we're already aligned. Anyway, assuming that there is an absolute alignment and we reach it, it will still have the same effect that it has now. Keep in mind that alignment is irrelevant here. What is relevant is the mass and the distance. Since alignment is irrelevant, we can already do that calculation now and we'd get the same result in 2012. You can read more about this here.
As for the poles.. it has happened in the past many times. Birds wont drop dead.Katafran

The closest point to the center of the galaxy.. uhh.. ok now you would have to tell me how close exactly? If the Earth were to move directly to the center of the galaxy, in a straight line at the current speed, it would not only have to defy gravity by ignoring the sun but it is not moving fast enough to get close to the point were the black hole is going to have any effect on the Earth. Other stars and planets would affect the Earth wayyy before it got to the center of the galaxy.
Now assuming that you're talking about the whole solar system moving towards the middle of the galaxy, once again we have the same problems. What is causing the sun to move to the center of the galaxy at such speeds, and what is causing it from being ignored by the rest of the galaxy? Our entire solar system would be vaporized before it ever reached the center of the galaxy. It would be vaporized before it ever got close to the center of the galaxy.
That is because there are billions of stars in the way, and billions of supermassive stars that emit tons of radiation. This is the same problem we're facing with space travel. How do we reach the center without being destroyed by everything in our path?
And this is funny because the nearest star to our own is 8 minutes away, if you were to travel at the speed of light. Our solar system is not traveling anywhere near the speed of light. So this makes absolutely no sense. At all.
Even at the closest point to the center of our galaxy, you would not be close enough to be affected by the supermassive black hole in the center.
I think the only reason to think the center of the galaxy would have any chance of destroying us is if you consider the collision between our galaxy and the Andromeda galaxy. Unfortunately for the year 2012, that is still BILLIONS of years away from happening, and again we face the issue of being destroyed by other stars long before we have a chance of being destroyed by the black hole at the center of our galaxy.