I need some serious advice about...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kmader2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll I need some serious advice about... (7 votes)

Good 14%
Bad 29%
alright 43%
going viral? 0%
14%

I produced, edited, shot and directed this video. I need some good and bad criticism, be nice please....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0645dlKsM9A

• 
undergroundLPx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1 undergroundLPx
Member since 2003 • 710 Posts

Camera is too shaky on way too many takes. I can understand it in a few shots but after 3 it looks like the camera holder had no control of the camera. The camera is too wild, all over the place. The moves are too abrupt and rough. Too many focus effects to the point they become annoying. Don't overuse them. The scene compositions and angles are okay as is the editing.

kmader2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kmader2
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I learned that it's good to be shaky tho, keeps audience attention

undergroundLPx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 undergroundLPx
Member since 2003 • 710 Posts

@kmader2: Except you don't know how to do it right. The camera moves look rough, the movements are not smooth.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@kmader2 said:

I'm not gonna say that shaky is never okay, but it's the kind of thing that only works in certain situations and should be used sparingly. To have shaky camera work throughout an entire video in order to "keep the audience's attention" is basically an insult to your audience. That's calling your audience idiots. It's saying that they're the equivalent of babies or dogs that lose interest after five seconds if you aren't dangling your keys directly in front of their faces. Is that really the audience that you want? Try aiming a bit higher.

Also, you're unintentionally putting down your own work. Shaky camera work throughout an entire video just to "keep the audience's attention" implies that there's nothing else there to hold the audience's attention. This implies a high level of superficiality in the work, that you don't have confidence in its ability to keep people interested, and that lack of confidence on the part of the director translates into lack of confidence on the part of the audience. If you're so insecure about the lack of interesting qualities that you have to constantly shake the camera just to hold the audience's attention, then why would the audience have any confidence that you're doing anything interesting?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Seen worst. Editing was ok, but gotta limit the contrast effects, we get it, you know how to use them.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@kmader2 said:

Spielberg Jr, lets first try mastering it straight then you can go off the reservation.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I think it's fine. If you don't have a huge budget, making a music video can be an ordeal. I've done a few with my band, and I would say the quality of this is equal or better than mine. I'm not really going to comment on the video content, because this music isn't really my bag, but the actually video quality is fine to me.

Really, the point of a music video is to get an idea of what the artist looks like, beyond that, it doesn't serve much purpose in 2014.

kmader2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kmader2

@Master_Live: Haha thanks man. I appreciate the complement, but I'm no spielberg lol. I kinda think you're jealous because you can't make a video as good as this on your own. You also didn't see the raw footage, so you can't really comment on how the color contrast happend, but I appreciate the feedback, let me know what else you liked about it!

kmader2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kmader2

@undergroundLPx: I see. Do you have any music videos you made that I can see?

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Did I just see the Eternal Tsukuyomi?

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@93BlackHawk93 said:

Did I just see the Eternal Tsukuyomi?

I was thinking the same thing. Uchiha!

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#12 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

I work in video so here are a few pointers,

First your color is off, Some shots are a little blue or over exposed so you need to use color correction to make sure all footage is matched as close as possible.

Second, your stuff is shaky and you go in and out of focus too much. These movements should be done on purpose and have some sort of meaning behind them. Yours seemed a little random and just thrown in.

Third, when you are young and have no budget. You have to separate yourself from everyone else. Ive seen your video thousands of times. You need to do something unique.

I give you this though, your graphics were good, and so was your editing. Better than amateur that's for sure.

kmader2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kmader2

@Star67: ....did you watch the entire video?

kmader2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kmader2

@93BlackHawk93: yes you did. We're trying to cast the biggest jutsu anyone has ever seen. If all true naruto fans can unite and help us, we will accumulate enough money to make a james cameron budget level naruto movie. A MOVIE THAT SERVES NARUTO JUSTICE.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@kmader2 said:

A MOVIE THAT SERVES NARUTO JUSTICE.

That sounds like the tagline for a crime film based on Naruto.

kmader2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kmader2

@crimsonbrute said:
@kmader2 said:

A MOVIE THAT SERVES NARUTO JUSTICE.

That sounds like the tagline for a crime film based on Naruto.

All hail madara, spread the word!

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

And to kmader2...dude, you REALLY need to learn how to handle criticism. There isn't a single person here who flatout trashed your video and said it was shit, but you feel the need to constantly respond to every negative comment as a personal attack that needs to be defended against. The question remains...if you're gonna take evrey negative remark and then get defensive or hostile about it, then why the hell are you even asking for critiques? Are you really looking for advice, or are you just looking for people to stroke your dick and tell you how awesome you are?

Also to bring up something I mentioned earlier: confidence. I'm sure that Stephen Spielberg was confident in most of his movies, and I'm sure he showed them to people before releasing them. What you don't see is Stephen fucking Spielberg responding to the mixed or negative comments about his works in a defensive and hostile manner. That's because he's a freaking professional who knows how to take criticism. Confidence doesn't mean defending your work against critics or being antagonistic towards people who make negative confidence. You can take the criticisms as valid and make changes, or dismiss the criticisms as wrong and keep the work as it is, but what you DON'T do is attack the people making negative remarks in an attempt to defend the work. Explain, don't defend. And NEVER attack the people offering criticism. Even if they're assholes, they're giving their thoughts on the work. And you NEED to know how people think about the work, or else you're fucked from the beginning. Don't even try to say that "it's my personal vision and I won't compromise". Some people pull that shit and it's a load of crap. It's NOT about you, it IS about the connection to the audience. Why? Because YOU SHOWED IT TO US. You could have just as well left it in a box and only showed it to yourself, but this is literally an act of puvlic expression. You deliberately chose to show it to the public, and then you get hostile when their thoughts on it don't match yours. Well, boo fucking hoo. That's your burden as the artist. Deal with it. Don't take that shit out on the audience, the audience is doing you a FAVOR by watching your work and giving honest feedback on what they think about it. The second that you get defensive and start attacking the critics (especially when you deliberately asked for criticism), you're sending the message that your work is unable to stand up on its own. You have a total lack of confidence in your art's ability to speak for itself, that's why you get defensive and hostile every time anyone says the smallest negative thing about it. And dude...that doesn't do you any favors. Audiences pick up on that shit. When artists act like you're acting, audiences see that as a lack of confidence. And again...if the person who MADE this video lacks confidence, then why should I have any confidence in it?

You're responding to honest criticism by accusing people of being jealous of your skills and asking people how many videos they have done. You've gotta stop that shit, seriously. Not a single person here has flatout said that the video was total trash, nearly everyone has said something positive. But you're taking even the mixed replies and picking out the negative parts in order to defend how awesome you are. You can't do that. If this is how you act with an amateur video that gets mixed reception, then god forbid that you ever really make it big. Your work has its merits, you're off to a good start, but you're supposed to GROW as an artist. And you can't do that if you keep getting pissy at the people who take isue with aspects of your work. Yeah...some people will hate things about your work. This doesn't get better as you climb up the ladder, it gets WORSE. Right now you're dealing with a few mixed responses on a videogame forum that hardly anyone ever looks at. Meanwhile, people who "made it" have to deal with MILLIONS of people going out of their way to say how awful they are. People don't hate you less the more popular and well-respected you become. People hate you MORE. And if you can't deal with that now, then you you seriously need to give up because you aren't cut out for this shit.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Star67

^^^^^^Agreed.

And yes I did watch the whole thing. And I stand by my points. I dont know what camera you are using, but it looks like your outside shots are not white balanced correctly or are under the wrong exposure, this causes the footage not to match. That's biggest thing that will make videos look amateur. You solve this by color correcting with a software program or buying a $20,000 camera that makes everything look good(if you know how to use it) And that isn't artistic criticism, that's technical criticism and it needs to be fixed.

kmader2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kmader2

@MrGeezer said:

And to kmader2...dude, you REALLY need to learn how to handle criticism. There isn't a single person here who flatout trashed your video and said it was shit, but you feel the need to constantly respond to every negative comment as a personal attack that needs to be defended against. The question remains...if you're gonna take evrey negative remark and then get defensive or hostile about it, then why the hell are you even asking for critiques? Are you really looking for advice, or are you just looking for people to stroke your dick and tell you how awesome you are?

Also to bring up something I mentioned earlier: confidence. I'm sure that Stephen Spielberg was confident in most of his movies, and I'm sure he showed them to people before releasing them. What you don't see is Stephen fucking Spielberg responding to the mixed or negative comments about his works in a defensive and hostile manner. That's because he's a freaking professional who knows how to take criticism. Confidence doesn't mean defending your work against critics or being antagonistic towards people who make negative confidence. You can take the criticisms as valid and make changes, or dismiss the criticisms as wrong and keep the work as it is, but what you DON'T do is attack the people making negative remarks in an attempt to defend the work. Explain, don't defend. And NEVER attack the people offering criticism. Even if they're assholes, they're giving their thoughts on the work. And you NEED to know how people think about the work, or else you're fucked from the beginning. Don't even try to say that "it's my personal vision and I won't compromise". Some people pull that shit and it's a load of crap. It's NOT about you, it IS about the connection to the audience. Why? Because YOU SHOWED IT TO US. You could have just as well left it in a box and only showed it to yourself, but this is literally an act of puvlic expression. You deliberately chose to show it to the public, and then you get hostile when their thoughts on it don't match yours. Well, boo fucking hoo. That's your burden as the artist. Deal with it. Don't take that shit out on the audience, the audience is doing you a FAVOR by watching your work and giving honest feedback on what they think about it. The second that you get defensive and start attacking the critics (especially when you deliberately asked for criticism), you're sending the message that your work is unable to stand up on its own. You have a total lack of confidence in your art's ability to speak for itself, that's why you get defensive and hostile every time anyone says the smallest negative thing about it. And dude...that doesn't do you any favors. Audiences pick up on that shit. When artists act like you're acting, audiences see that as a lack of confidence. And again...if the person who MADE this video lacks confidence, then why should I have any confidence in it?

You're responding to honest criticism by accusing people of being jealous of your skills and asking people how many videos they have done. You've gotta stop that shit, seriously. Not a single person here has flatout said that the video was total trash, nearly everyone has said something positive. But you're taking even the mixed replies and picking out the negative parts in order to defend how awesome you are. You can't do that. If this is how you act with an amateur video that gets mixed reception, then god forbid that you ever really make it big. Your work has its merits, you're off to a good start, but you're supposed to GROW as an artist. And you can't do that if you keep getting pissy at the people who take isue with aspects of your work. Yeah...some people will hate things about your work. This doesn't get better as you climb up the ladder, it gets WORSE. Right now you're dealing with a few mixed responses on a videogame forum that hardly anyone ever looks at. Meanwhile, people who "made it" have to deal with MILLIONS of people going out of their way to say how awful they are. People don't hate you less the more popular and well-respected you become. People hate you MORE. And if you can't deal with that now, then you you seriously need to give up because you aren't cut out for this shit.

sounds good

kmader2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kmader2
@Star67 said:

^^^^^^Agreed.

And yes I did watch the whole thing. And I stand by my points. I dont know what camera you are using, but it looks like your outside shots are not white balanced correctly or are under the wrong exposure, this causes the footage not to match. That's biggest thing that will make videos look amateur. You solve this by color correcting with a software program or buying a $20,000 camera that makes everything look good(if you know how to use it) And that isn't artistic criticism, that's technical criticism and it needs to be fixed.

Well this is an amateur video, but I'll look into the software program you're talking about

@MrGeezer said:

sounds good

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Star67

As long as you are using Final Cut or Adobe Premiere or a professional editing software, it will have a color corrector built in. If you're using Imovie or movie maker it won't have it and I really suggest not using those. And just because its amateur doesn't mean you should let simple mistakes like that slide by. If you can fix it, it needs to be fixed.

kmader2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kmader2

@Star67 said:

As long as you are using Final Cut or Adobe Premiere or a professional editing software, it will have a color corrector built in. If you're using Imovie or movie maker it won't have it and I really suggest not using those. And just because its amateur doesn't mean you should let simple mistakes like that slide by. If you can fix it, it needs to be fixed.

Interesting, to edit color effects you actually use adobe after effects, not premiere. But yeah, I used auto color correction to adjust the coloration, and also had to adjust the exposure a lot because my noob self was using bad lighting:/

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Star67

To edit color from the result of bad lighting you use color correction in premiere. Or speedgrade for a more professional touch. I wouldn't use After Effects unless you wanted to change color drastically, not simple fixes such as bad lighting.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

You probably was the one doing the best job in this production.