How to differentiate between Americans and Canadians

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Many people from other country may find Americans and Canadians are alike and almost like brothers and sisters. For me, most of the Canadian pronounce the word "about' as in "abeut".

Do you find someting else that makes these two groups different between each other?

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

I've found most Canadians can tell the difference between an Australian and an English accent, while many Americans cannot.

That said, I can't always tell the difference between American and Canadian accents.

Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

Canadians say "Eh" a lot. I think they like to drink maple syrup instead of water too. And they only wear flanel shirts.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Canadians are more like northeastern Americans and vice-versa?
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Canadians say "Eh" a lot. I think they like to drink maple syrup instead of water too. And they only wear flanel shirts.

YellowOneKinobi

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts

I've found most Canadians can tell the difference between an Australian and an English accent, while many Americans cannot.Danm_999

Lol wut? Yeah, that's ridiculously easy to differentiate between. (I'm American)

drochnathair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 drochnathair
Member since 2008 • 412 Posts

Well, Canadians ride polar bears and moose to Tim Horton's while drinking maple syrup and arguing about hockey.

Apparently Americans do the same thing, only it's riding an SUV to McDonald's.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Many people from other country may find Americans and Canadians are alike and almost like brothers and sisters. For me, most of the Canadian pronounce the word "about' as in "abeut".

Do you find someting else that makes these two groups different between each other?

hippiesanta

The Americans will be holding guns and shouting YeeHaw! The Canadians will be looking scared and talking in French.

How could you possibly mix up these very distinct groups.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

the american will be hated on by everyone else in the room even though he brought the liquor and meat.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

I've found most Canadians can tell the difference between an Australian and an English accent, while many Americans cannot.bleehum

Lol wut? Yeah, that's ridiculously easy to differentiate between. (I'm American)

To be fair, not all Australians sound like Paul Hogan or Steve Irwin, nor do all Brits sound like the Royal family or David Beckham.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I just differentiate them being their pronunciation of the word "out".
v13_KiiLtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 v13_KiiLtz
Member since 2010 • 2791 Posts
[QUOTE="bleehum"]

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

I've found most Canadians can tell the difference between an Australian and an English accent, while many Americans cannot.Danm_999

To be fair, not all Australians sound like Paul Hogan or Steve Irwin, nor do all Brits sound like the Royal family or David Beckham.

True. I'm from Australia and I thought Chloe Frazer in Uncharted was British.
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts
[QUOTE="bleehum"]

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

Obviously
Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
Looking at their ID, driver's license or passport. *being unfunny*
quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#15 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

I always have trouble telling the difference between them, it is so tough eh? Honestly, Canadians don't talk like how everyone says we do.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Canadians are coated in maple syrup.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

I don't really know how to tell them apart. I guess Canadians are overall more polite and we do say "eh" sometimes. Really, the only way to tell if someone is Canadian instead of American is to ask them who they think will win the Stanley Cup (any who gives a passionate answer is Canadian).

Also, why do people think all Canadians say "about" as "aboot"? The only Canadians who say it like that are from the Atlantic provinces, and they are a small minority of the overall population. That's like assuming all Americans speak like people from Maine.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

If they like Hockey and Tim Hortons beats every other resteraunt, you know its a Canadian

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
Skull shape. Particularly brow height. :P
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I say "abowt." Most Canadians not from Newfoundland don't say aboot.

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

I'm Canadian and I notice huge accents here compared to Americans but it's mostly in the older people or those who live on the East coast. It's mostly the pronunciation of "ou" which seems different like, house, mouse, our, about etc where the Canadian accents really start to shine. Another way to tell if somebody is Canadian is by the spelling such as "honour, colour, favour" etc.

Though I usually spell everything the American way just because it feels better to me.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 foxhound_fox

Another way to tell if somebody is Canadian is by the spelling such as "honour, colour, favour" etc.XileLord

All Commonwealth countries follow British English. ;)

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

[QUOTE="XileLord"]Another way to tell if somebody is Canadian is by the spelling such as "honour, colour, favour" etc.foxhound_fox

All Commonwealth countries follow British English. ;)

Indeed they do but if you wanted to narrow it down you could tell somebody wasn't American by spelling :P

generally speaking anyways

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
Put an American and a Canadian on a see-saw. The one that ends up on the higher end is the Canadian.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Tylendal

I don't really know how to tell them apart. I guess Canadians are overall more polite and we do say "eh" sometimes. Really, the only way to tell if someone is Canadian instead of American is to ask them who they think will win the Stanley Cup (any who gives a passionate answer is Canadian).

Also, why do people think all Canadians say "about" as "aboot"? The only Canadians who say it like that are from the Atlantic provinces, and they are a small minority of the overall population. That's like assuming all Americans speak like people from Maine.

redstorm72
Oh, so that's where it comes from. The whole point of an accent is that you wouldn't recognize your own accent, so I'm always wondering why people say Canadian's say "aboot" If I pronounced the 'o' any longer(?) I'd be saying 'a boat'.
marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 marcogamer07
Member since 2008 • 1615 Posts

hippiesanta

The Canadians you're talking about(the ones that say "abeut" or "aboot") are most likely east-coasters and/or newfies.

We really don't talk like that...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 foxhound_fox

The Canadians you're talking about(the ones that say "abeut" or "aboot") are most likely east-coasters and/or newfies.

We really don't talk like that...

marcogamer07

shhh... let him think we do...

Now what were you saying aboot that shipment of maple syrup you made to my igloo last month? I already felled 300 trees to cover it.

ThatOneP0ster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ThatOneP0ster
Member since 2009 • 231 Posts
ITT we discuss American stereotypes over Canadian stereotypes.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Canadians are coated in maple syrup.markop2003
I bathe in the stuff, all the time
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#30 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

stereotypically speaking.

The American is whoever is being overly arrogant and constantly wanting to measure **** with others.

The Canadian is whoever is saying "eh" a lot.

I am done.

-may now commence vitrol.

david_critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 david_critic
Member since 2004 • 3305 Posts

redstorm72

I've lived in New Brunswick all my life and I have never heard anyone say about as "aboot". I never understood where people got that from. But, really Canadians aren't much different from Americans at all. The "eh" thing is true though, lol.

BornDEAD92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BornDEAD92
Member since 2011 • 147 Posts
I was not born in Canada or the United States but some differences I have noticed are that Canadians say "sorry" for just about everything that happens. Whether it's getting confused on a walking path with another person or accidently bumping into somebody. When I was down in the south though, things were a tad bit different but that's just me. I live in Canada now by the way. :)
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

ABC did a good story about this town on the US-Canadian border. It's impossible to distinguish the canadians from the americans because they all come from the same area. Different family members live in different countries despite being right down the street. If you were in the library, you could cross from the US to canada by simply moving from one aisle to another.

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
We say toque instead of whatever Americans call it.
metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 metalkitten
Member since 2004 • 9249 Posts
i find canadians more laid back and americans louder in general, usa i think guns, while canada i think weed... canadians will get deeply offended if u say their country is alot like usa... their accent is very cute with the about, boat etc i know people from both countries and i been to both, but its hard to judge such big countries which obviously have tons of different places and i only been to some places and know people from some places its very unlikely id ever misstake someone from usa as someone from canada though...
metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 metalkitten
Member since 2004 • 9249 Posts

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

david_critic

I've lived in New Brunswick all my life and I have never heard anyone say about as "aboot". I never understood where people got that from. But, really Canadians aren't much different from Americans at all. The "eh" thing is true though, lol.

all canadians i know say about , boat etc different, (its actually one of my favorite english accents!!!) they come from the ontario area, i know some in quebeq too but they can barely speak any english:P

david_critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 david_critic
Member since 2004 • 3305 Posts
[QUOTE="metalkitten"]

[QUOTE="david_critic"]

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

all canadians i know say about , boat etc different, (its actually one of my favorite english accents!!!) they come from the ontario area, i know some in quebeq too but they can barely speak any english:P

I can never notice any difference between Canadian and American accents (except for say Newfoundland) whenever I hear them both. How do we say boat different? Just curious.
StudySession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 StudySession
Member since 2009 • 1539 Posts

Americans and Canadians sound pretty similar, not counting those crazy newfies.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Tylendal
We say toque instead of whatever Americans call it.PS2_ROCKS
Fuzzy hat? I dunno. I'm not American.
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#40 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

About is "aboot" here. Or at least that's the misconception as I never heard anyone say it like that. We say "slippy" a lot though..so that's stupid.

Also we're nicer than Americans. Deal with it or I'll beat you up! :O

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#41 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts
-It's about. It's only aboot when we are trying to be funny. -We do say eh fairly often. But not as often as americans say uh? As in, 'that was a great shot uh?' -We don't mind a trip to the hospital, as we don't end up with massive debt. -We don't have all you can eat buffets almost everywhere. -You will not find many americans coming here to buy homes. You will find Canadians buying up as much property in the US as we can. Slowly taking over.*Ssshh, it's our little secret.*
Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#43 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
Easy. Canadians can drink more beer, plus it's better. At least the ones I've had in the States are very weak, then again it's probably a generic thing.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
i dunno, i can tell when they talk
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts
Canadians are more like northeastern Americans and vice-versa?Elraptor
Northeastern as in Boston, New York, etc? I'd say no. More like Minnesotans.
Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

Americans and Canadians sound pretty similar, not counting those crazy newfies.

StudySession
LOL. You have made my day.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts
[QUOTE="Namgis"]-It's about. It's only aboot when we are trying to be funny. -We do say eh fairly often. But not as often as americans say uh? As in, 'that was a great shot uh?' -We don't mind a trip to the hospital, as we don't end up with massive debt. -We don't have all you can eat buffets almost everywhere. -You will not find many americans coming here to buy homes. You will find Canadians buying up as much property in the US as we can. Slowly taking over.*Ssshh, it's our little secret.*

I think it's "huh".. not uh.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#48 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Say the word "socialism".

Head explodes: American.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Bacon, Maple Syrup, Hockey, and moose's.
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12388 Posts
some sort of hockey question like who won the 1996 World Cup of Hockey? lol