How likely is nuclear war?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="thepwninator"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

I think that, at some point in humanity's future, nuclear weapons will be dropped again.thepwninator

I'm not really sure about that; if one side has nukes and the other doesn't, then the side with the nukes can win. The only real way to prevent the use of nukes is the knowledge that their use will lead to one's own demise as well.

Mankind has the potential to be around for a long time, and it's quite likely that, at some point during that time, there will be a proverbial perfect storm in which someone will drop the bomb on someone else.

Ultimately the major weapon of the 21st century and on will be chemical and biological weapons.. If there is one thing to seriously damage us or maybe even wipe us out its a biological weapon.. As our biotechnology advances, there will come a time when some one will develope the anti-god: a high contagious, incurable virus that will have a death rate of above 50% at least..
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
Gotta wait for the next insane crazy dictator with nukes and it will most likely happen.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#53 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I can't see nuclear war happening for a long time. Both sides know the stakes.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#54 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Just their use.thepwninator

In that case, yeah, I could see nuclear weapons being used by some fanatic who gets his hand on one and has no fear of death. I don't think there will ever be full-scale nuclear war between nuclear-armed nations, though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-59d151f079814
Gotta wait for the next insane crazy dictator with nukes and it will most likely happen.MgamerBD
.......... Dictators usually don't get in that position and be crazy or illogical.. The so called "insane" or "crazy" leaders of Iran or North Korea have done nothing to risk their power.. These people are as Materialistic as the next person, and they will not risk losing their comfortable positions in government.. Places like Iran and N. Korea are simply getting nuclear weapons for defense, as well as a equal hand in negotiations.. With the invasion in Iraq, that was completely pre-emptive.. The United States has given countries like those more reason than ever to try to get arms like that. I also love the propaganda people spout off that if Iran had nuclear weapons they would wipe Israel off the face of the map with its weapons.. Which isn't true.. The Arab world wants Israel as a nation destroyed, and Palastine recreated.. A nuclear bomb would not do that, it would destroy the land, and every one near it.. Iran would lose support of every one in the middle east.. Not to mention would be put up against the security council of the UN.
freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
who knows? we cant predict these things. but their will be war in the future. and nukes amy be used as a last resort
Babolu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57 Babolu
Member since 2005 • 498 Posts
Nuclear war is always a very real threat that can happen at any time. Misrepresentation or inaccurate information of a research satellite launched in the wrong direction towards a hostile country could result in the launching of a nuke because of the inaccurate information. Don't think that it takes the scarcity of a needed supply, or a long and drawn out war, to start the use of nuclear weapons.
kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#58 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
once the first one is fired its over for the world
Virus214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Virus214
Member since 2007 • 2052 Posts
i doubt it would ever happen. The collateral damage could possibly be .... the world

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-59d151f079814
Nuclear war is always a very real threat that can happen at any time. Misrepresentation or inaccurate information of a research satellite launched in the wrong direction towards a hostile country could result in the launching of a nuke because of the inaccurate information. Don't think that it takes the scarcity of a needed supply, or a long and drawn out war, to start the use of nuclear weapons.Babolu
Basically this.. A knee jerk reaction.. Unfortantely this is a real possibility due to the United States and Russia sitll having a huge amount of their nuclear payload on readiness status.. Even though the cold war ended like 2 decades ago.. Where these countries can release nuclear weapons in 15 minutes notice, which is riduculous and is a bigger threat to mankind than it actually doing any good.
mixmax5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 mixmax5
Member since 2006 • 2347 Posts
I think the chances are pretty damn low.
MrEnvelope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 MrEnvelope
Member since 2007 • 2424 Posts
Unlikely, but if the terrorists get some.... we are oficially doomed.:? It would still be unlikely for them to get one........
Babolu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#63 Babolu
Member since 2005 • 498 Posts
Unlikely, but if the terrorists get some.... we are oficially doomed.:? It would still be unlikely for them to get one........MrEnvelope
Not really, Russia has been known to sell cold war era nukes to rogue states.
Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts
I'm gonna create Skynet So in about... 5-10 years
G-T-A---M-A-D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#65 G-T-A---M-A-D
Member since 2007 • 331 Posts
[QUOTE="MgamerBD"]Gotta wait for the next insane crazy dictator with nukes and it will most likely happen.sSubZerOo
.......... Dictators usually don't get in that position and be crazy or illogical.. The so called "insane" or "crazy" leaders of Iran or North Korea have done nothing to risk their power.. These people are as Materialistic as the next person, and they will not risk losing their comfortable positions in government.. Places like Iran and N. Korea are simply getting nuclear weapons for defense, as well as a equal hand in negotiations.. With the invasion in Iraq, that was completely pre-emptive.. The United States has given countries like those more reason than ever to try to get arms like that. I also love the propaganda people spout off that if Iran had nuclear weapons they would wipe Israel off the face of the map with its weapons.. Which isn't true.. The Arab world wants Israel as a nation destroyed, and Palastine recreated.. A nuclear bomb would not do that, it would destroy the land, and every one near it.. Iran would lose support of every one in the middle east.. Not to mention would be put up against the security council of the UN.

Yes, If Israel didnt have nuclear weapons then Iran wouldn't want to acquire them. People keep saying Iran with Nukes is a danger to the Middle East, but what about Israel, surely if they have the right to nukes then so does any other country in the Middle East. Because they feel threatened. Also, Israel with out nukes wouldn't mean someone will attack israel, they have the best American weapons and if they get hit by a middle eastern country they will get 130% support from USA. So Israel must take off their nukes before you can persuade Iran to stop making theirs.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 GabuEx

[QUOTE="Infinite-Zr0"]I'm gonna create Skynet
So in about... 5-10 years

Gokuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Gokuja
Member since 2005 • 3767 Posts

well, its not really likely anytime soon, but then again it could happen anytime. I think the more time goes on and the longer we have nuclear weapons, the effect starts to fade. The longer you have something the more comfortable you are with it and it doesn't impact you the same. Its like something that you say you would never do, but eventually do anyway, by accident or not. Everyone has done something like that...well maybe not every single person but close. Then you are more bound to do it because you've already done it once.

Plus, terrorists and islamists pose a greater threat and chance of nuclear detonation. I'm not saying every islamist or every person in the middle east. But you have people who want to kill themselves along with as many people as possible...They should not be allowed anywhere around nukes. Countries that favor them or support them should not be allowed to have nukes. Hopefully people agree with me. Nations who wish to acquire nuclear weapons better be smart and only use nukes for greater influence, because thats the highest purpose they can have w/o destroying civilization

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

[QUOTE="Infinite-Zr0"]I'm gonna create Skynet
So in about... 5-10 yearsGabuEx

I thought just posting a picture with nothing else was "disruptive posting". Tsk tsk!
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#69 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
The only way I think it could conceivably happen is if some terrorist cell got ahold of a nuclear weapon and used it not caring about international consequences. I don't think it's likely at all that two countries would use them against eachother.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts
Unless some extremist get a hold of one and detonate it, I don't think it is going to happen. The US and/or Russia have too many for anyone else to use them without the threat of immediate and complete destruction, and the US and Russia are too scared of what the retaliation would be if they used one unprovoked. So for now I think we are ok.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 GabuEx

I thought just posting a picture with nothing else was "disruptive posting". Tsk tsk! DigitalExile

Haven't you heard that cliche? I posted a thousand words in that post. :P

CruxisXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 CruxisXIII
Member since 2008 • 763 Posts
All it takes is one lunatic, one dictator that wants to do it. All it takes is a Hitler who has no regards for human life, who just wants to see chaos. When a man like that gets ahold of nuclear power, prepare for nuclear war.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 GabuEx

All it takes is one lunatic, one dictator that wants to do it. All it takes is a Hitler who has no regards for human life, who just wants to see chaos. When a man like that gets ahold of nuclear power, prepare for nuclear war.CruxisXIII

People with no regard for their own self-preservation tend not to be the sort of people who emerge as dictators of regimes large enough to possess nuclear weapons. By many measurements one could have called Stalin and Khruschev insane, but both of them were interested in self-preservation enough that they never launched the bomb. It's for that reason that I personally doubt all-out nuclear war between nations will happen. It's like that quote from WarGames: "(Global thermonuclear war) is a curious game. The only way to win is not to play."

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 MgamerBD
[QUOTE="MgamerBD"]Gotta wait for the next insane crazy dictator with nukes and it will most likely happen.sSubZerOo

You know there are people without no sense...people that just want to watch the world burn and those kind of people will not think twice to end the world if they had the power to.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 GabuEx

You know there are people without no sense...people that just want to watch the world burn and those kind of people will not think twice to end the world if they had the power to.MgamerBD

And those people are not the sorts of people to become the leaders of nations with nuclear weapons. People who are in the running to be the next big dictator have to be throughly and totally self-interested, and such people tend not to like the prospect of dying in nuclear fire.

one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#76 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts
I was wondering which one would be more likely, attacks on nuclear plants or actual war with nuclear weapons? I think attacks on nuclear plants is more likely.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 MgamerBD

[QUOTE="MgamerBD"]You know there are people without no sense...people that just want to watch the world burn and those kind of people will not think twice to end the world if they had the power to.GabuEx

And those people are not the sorts of people to become the leaders of nations with nuclear weapons. People who are in the running to be the next big dictator have to be throughly and totally self-interested, and such people tend not to like the prospect of dying in nuclear fire.

That is true but you know how people are in times of desperation and struggle the human race will almost accept any person to lead. I mean look at Hitler and im sure there are some other examples I don't know about. I never said the person wasn't smart I just meant that the person doesn't care about his life or anybody elses. We do have some good liers out in this world you know and people do decieve.
optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#78 optiow
Member since 2008 • 28284 Posts
To be honest, not likely. Everyone is to scared to use them, so they will just threaten they will, but not atually do it.
morewasabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 morewasabi
Member since 2006 • 1641 Posts

I'd say its inevitable.

In every crisis where things could have gone nuclear, one side had room to back down. Eventually, there will be a situation where both sides have their backs to the wall and no choice but to fight.

It may not be large enough to destroy civilization like in Fallout, but it will produce nearly incomprehensible destruction.