How is marijuana different than other banned drugs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="bloodling"]

It sure can, especially if you're driving.

no, that would be the speed and the car. please don't lie :)

It's the straw that broke the camel's back.

no. it's the obfuscation that hid that truth
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]I pretty much think that all drugs should be legalized, actually, but hey, that's just me, and the last time I expressed that opinion here, I was insulted. I think that the main arguments for the legalization of marijuana (and not for other drugs) is because of its medical benefits and because of its overall tame nature. It's actually 'better' for you than alcohol or tobacco, so people think that since those substances are legal, marijuana should be too...especially since it can be used medicinally, and has been proven to be effective in such circumstances. There are other, more political arguments for the legalization of marijuana, such as if it were legal, it'd actually be easier to control, or we could tax it and it'd be good for the economy, etc. Some people also just think that people should have to the right to legally choose what they want to put into their bodies. As for me? I agree with everything I've written.bloodling

You think ALL drugs should be legalized? You can't be serious.

I agree with t3hrubikscube, I think all drugs should be legalized as well
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#103 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

I have not yet seen a study that indicates that controlled consumption of marijuana is much worse than a similar use of alcohol or other such drugs.GswSir

Statistics are statistics. There are lots of people who aren't responsible and harm themselves.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"] I can and I am.bloodling

Well then, may I ask you why cocaine and heroin should be legalized?

Sure. My reasoning is simple. I just think that people out to be able to choose what they want to put into their bodies, and it's as simple as that. If they want to mess themselves up with cocaine or heroin or meth, then that's their choice. Who am I to tell them that they can't? I don't encourage it, of course, but it's none of my business. We are all our own people and I believe that we live for ourselves and ourselves only, and if someone wants to do drugs, then so be it. I don't think that there should be legal consequences for the simple act of ingesting drugs.

I also do think that if drugs were legalized, there'd be more control. I don't really think that usage would increase substantially (especially with hard drugs), but even if it did, that's not really the issue. I know that it's not as simple as this, but I do believe that people should do what they want as long as they don't negatively affect other people, and with more control and fewer ridiculous consequences, I think it'd be safer.

I hate to say this since there are a few users here who tend to pull this card, but I have to leave for a class in a few minutes, so if I stop posting here, that's why. :)

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="GswSir"]True, but so is driving when drunk, yet we do not ban alcohol. testfactor888

I agree, but alcohol does not have any risks of psychosis or schizophrenia.

lies and slander

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/289848-overview

http://www.athealth.com/Consumer/disorders/schizophreniaalcohol.html

Not to the same extent.

RYDERFTN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 RYDERFTN
Member since 2007 • 1508 Posts
[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]I pretty much think that all drugs should be legalized, actually, but hey, that's just me, and the last time I expressed that opinion here, I was insulted. I think that the main arguments for the legalization of marijuana (and not for other drugs) is because of its medical benefits and because of its overall tame nature. It's actually 'better' for you than alcohol or tobacco, so people think that since those substances are legal, marijuana should be too...especially since it can be used medicinally, and has been proven to be effective in such circumstances. There are other, more political arguments for the legalization of marijuana, such as if it were legal, it'd actually be easier to control, or we could tax it and it'd be good for the economy, etc. Some people also just think that people should have to the right to legally choose what they want to put into their bodies. As for me? I agree with everything I've written.testfactor888

To tax right. Am I the only one that thinks that should happen?
GswSir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 GswSir
Member since 2010 • 544 Posts

[QUOTE="GswSir"]I have not yet seen a study that indicates that controlled consumption of marijuana is much worse than a similar use of alcohol or other such drugs.bloodling

Statistics are statistics. There are lots of people who aren't responsible and harm themselves.

A study does not have to rely on statistics alone, however I do think that in most discussions such as these it is extremely useful if one can actually provide empirical data or proof, beyond personal opinions or feelings.
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 testfactor888

[QUOTE="testfactor888"]

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

I agree, but alcohol does not have any risks of psychosis or schizophrenia.

bloodling

lies and slander

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/289848-overview

http://www.athealth.com/Consumer/disorders/schizophreniaalcohol.html

Not to the same extent.

You said it had 0 risk and now you say that it has risk but not to the same extent. Well at least you acknowledged the information on the sites

Alcohol is alot worse for you than Marijuana ever has or ever will be

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 testfactor888

[QUOTE="testfactor888"][QUOTE="bloodling"]

RYDERFTN

To tax yes but also I think that we should be allowed to do with our bodies whatever we want.

KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#110 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

I personally don't care if its legalized or not. I'm never gonna use it unless I HAD to for medicinal reasons. Truth of the matter is marijuana can be addicting just like anything else. And just like anything else, too much is not good for you. Chemically its not addicting, but behaviorally it can be depending on the person using it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Anyway, I'll reiterate: Marijuana CAN'T kill you. Based on that, it's technically safer than most... anything. Though if you smoke it instead of eat it, you will get lung problems. Still, amazingly (relatively completely) safe considering how it can affect you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

I personally don't care if its legalized or not. I'm never gonna use it unless I HAD to for medicinal reasons. Truth of the matter is marijuana can be addicting just like anything else. And just like anything else, too much is not good for you. Chemically its not addicting, but behaviorally it can be depending on the person using it.

KamuiFei
it's not addictive. behaviorally? that's pansy talk. WAH I CAN'T STOP PLAYING WOW WAH poppycock
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"] I can and I am.t3hrubikscube

Sure. My reasoning is simple. I just think that people out to be able to choose what they want to put into their bodies, and it's as simple as that. If they want to mess themselves up with cocaine or heroin or meth, then that's their choice. Who am I to tell them that they can't? I don't encourage it, of course, but it's none of my business. We are all our own people and I believe that we live for ourselves and ourselves only, and if someone wants to do drugs, then so be it. I don't think that there should be legal consequences for the simple act of ingesting drugs.

I also do think that if drugs were legalized, there'd be more control. I don't really think that usage would increase substantially (especially with hard drugs), but even if it did, that's not really the issue. I know that it's not as simple as this, but I do believe that people should do what they want as long as they don't negatively affect other people, and with more control and fewer ridiculous consequences, I think it'd be safer.

I hate to say this since there are a few users here who tend to pull this card, but I have to leave for a class in a few minutes, so if I stop posting here, that's why. :)

If we handed these drugs to them, we would be responsible for giving it to them. It's like giving them poison that will kill them and then say "Oh well, he took it, it's his fault".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

If we handed these drugs to them, we would be responsible for giving it to them. It's like giving them poison that will kill them and then say "Oh well, he took it, it's his fault".

bloodling
she never said she was giving drugs to anyone? she even said she did not encourage it?
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 testfactor888

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

bloodling

How is it anyone elses right to tell me what I can put in my body.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

Jandurin

she never said she was giving drugs to anyone? she even said she did not encourage it?

Legalizing is allowing people to take these things legally.

RYDERFTN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 RYDERFTN

[QUOTE="RYDERFTN"][QUOTE="testfactor888"] I agree with t3hrubikscube, I think all drugs should be legalized as welltestfactor888

To tax yes but also I think that we should be allowed to do with our bodies whatever we want.

True. Should almost be like when you purchase a gun. Run a criminal background or somthing rather, have you put into a system. Not all I think should be legalized such as the pills that have been everywhere latley(blue dolphins/monsters/xpills etc)Also should only be allowed to purchase a certain amount a week. Other things that I cant think of it can be legalized if done correctly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-6016f2513d412

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

bloodling

"Handed these drugs to them"? What? If a person wants to do drugs, then they'll do drugs, and that's their choice only. The person selling or distributing them doesn't bear any responsibility if what they're doing is legal. If the drug user dies or has health complications, that's the fault of the drug user and the drug user only, as they should've known the risks, and they chose to take the drugs. No one's forcing them to. Yes, we would say "oh well, he took it, and it's his fault," because it's true.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="bloodling"]

so? You're legally allowed to smoke cigarettes as well. I bet you don't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 deactivated-6016f2513d412

bloodling

Yes indeed...and, once again, that's their decision.

Just because it is there doesn't mean that you have to do it, and just because it's illegal now doesn't mean that people don't do it anyway.

RYDERFTN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 RYDERFTN

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

bloodling

No because its our choice. If I wanna go stick a dirty needle in my arm just for a quick high thats my choice. Nobody should feel guilty for my mistakes/wrong doing/ Hypotheticly of course needle is too far for me.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 bloodling

"Handed these drugs to them"? What? If a person wants to do drugs, then they'll do drugs, and that's their choice only. The person selling or distributing them doesn't bear any responsibility if what they're doing is legal. If the drug user dies or has health complications, that's the fault of the drug user and the drug user only, as they should've known the risks, and they chose to take the drugs. No one's forcing them to. Yes, we would say "oh well, he took it, and it's his fault," because it's true. t3hrubikscube

I'm not saying everything would change drastically if we made it legal, I'm saying why should we legalize extremely dangerous drugs and help whoever is distributing these things? I just don't understand why.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Yes it should be legal in fact with this economy I CANNOT see how they have not legalized it so they can tax it... I mean almost every high school kid has experienced it nowadays which is sad.

It would clear out alot of space in jail to for those stupid "crimes".

If they unbanned beer they can legalize this as its not even close to as bad as that

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

I'm not saying everything would change drastically if we made it legal, I'm saying why should we legalize extremely dangerous drugs and help whoever is distributing these things? I just don't understand why.

bloodling
Legalizing it would only hurt current distributors.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-6016f2513d412

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"] "Handed these drugs to them"? What? If a person wants to do drugs, then they'll do drugs, and that's their choice only. The person selling or distributing them doesn't bear any responsibility if what they're doing is legal. If the drug user dies or has health complications, that's the fault of the drug user and the drug user only, as they should've known the risks, and they chose to take the drugs. No one's forcing them to. Yes, we would say "oh well, he took it, and it's his fault," because it's true. bloodling

I've already explained my beliefs to you in previous posts... I don't see why I have to retype them if you didn't take the time to read them.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 bloodling

so? You're legally allowed to smoke cigarettes as well. I bet you don't.Jandurin

Actually I do smoke cigarettes.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 testfactor888

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"] "Handed these drugs to them"? What? If a person wants to do drugs, then they'll do drugs, and that's their choice only. The person selling or distributing them doesn't bear any responsibility if what they're doing is legal. If the drug user dies or has health complications, that's the fault of the drug user and the drug user only, as they should've known the risks, and they chose to take the drugs. No one's forcing them to. Yes, we would say "oh well, he took it, and it's his fault," because it's true. bloodling

If it was legalized than the government could produce it and make money off it. You would in fact likely be putting alot of these other distributor's out of business. Not all of them of course but quite a few
KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 KamuiFei

[QUOTE="KamuiFei"]

Jandurin

it's not addictive. behaviorally? that's pansy talk. WAH I CAN'T STOP PLAYING WOW WAH poppycock

Yes it can be addictive, I had a friend who smoked it for 5 years and last time I talked to him like 4 months ago, he's still doing it. I see pot as anything else people can get addicted to. Some people drink too much water, some people play too much WoW, etc. All of which are based on a persons behavior. Its not pansy talk as you put it. It can be a real problem for some people. Just because its not affecting you, doesn't mean its not affecting others. Everyone is different.

RYDERFTN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 RYDERFTN

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"] she never said she was giving drugs to anyone? she even said she did not encourage it?t3hrubikscube

Yes indeed...and, once again, that's their decision.

Just because it is there doesn't mean that you have to do it, and just because it's illegal now doesn't mean that people don't do it anyway.

True^.Also legalizing these drugs would actually lower the crime rate in a lot of places as it would now be handle by the pharmacys/goverment. So not everyone would be able to get there hands on it, hence the tax/the main price that would probally be raised(offical things are gonna be sold in a baggie)There are ups and down to the whole situation. The outcome could actually be really postive.
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 testfactor888

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]so? You're legally allowed to smoke cigarettes as well. I bet you don't.bloodling

So you are apparently for keeping tobacco legal which has caused way more deaths than Marijuana ever has. Yet also are against Marijuana. I just don't get it at all honestly. I smoke cigs as well though so this is not an anti-tobacco post :) *takes hit off cig
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 bloodling

I've already explained my beliefs to you in previous posts... I don't see why I have to retype them if you didn't take the time to read them.t3hrubikscube

OK your point is the government would get more money. That's the only advantage.

Here are the disadvantages: pretty much everyone interested would try hard drugs because it would be so easy to get. Hard drugs aren't that easy to find.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 testfactor888

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="KamuiFei"]

KamuiFei

Yes it can be addictive, I had a friend who smoked it for 5 years and last time I talked to him like 4 months ago, he's still doing it. I see pot as anything else people can get addicted to. Some people drink too much water, some people play too much WoW, etc. All of which are based on a persons behavior. Its not pansy talk as you put it. It can be a real problem for some people. Just because its not affecting you, doesn't mean its not affecting others. Everyone is different.

Just because he is still doing it doesn't mean he is addicted, maybe he simply enjoys it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]so? You're legally allowed to smoke cigarettes as well. I bet you don't.bloodling

lol dammit Go quit, they're bad for you. :x
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]so? You're legally allowed to smoke cigarettes as well. I bet you don't.testfactor888

So you are apparently for keeping tobacco legal which has caused way more deaths than Marijuana ever has. Yet also are against Marijuana. I just don't get it at all honestly. I smoke cigs as well though so this is not an anti-tobacco post :) *takes hit off cig

I'm not completely against legalization, marijuana isn't that bad, but it is dangerous. If it were to become legal, there would be major repercussions. Would that be worth it? Maybe.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 testfactor888

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"] I've already explained my beliefs to you in previous posts... I don't see why I have to retype them if you didn't take the time to read them.bloodling

OK your point is the government would get more money. That's the only advantage.

Here are the disadvantages: pretty much everyone interested would try hard drugs because it would be so easy to get. Hard drugs aren't that easy to find.

They are actually really easy to find. I am not saying that to be a jerk but they don't take that much effort to find just gotta make a few friends and likely one of them will know a way to get it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Some people drink too much water

KamuiFei
what? Anyway, if they're choosing to do it, it's not an addiction. It's when not doing it has harmful effects on the body that it's addiction.
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 testfactor888

bloodling

I'm not completely against legalization, marijuana isn't that bad, but it is dangerous. If it were to become legal, there would be major repercussions. Would that be worth it? Maybe.

The major repercussions would not be known till after it was legalized, if there are any at all. Anything now would be speculation on our parts
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 bloodling

They are actually really easy to find. I am not saying that to be a jerk but they don't take that much effort to find just gotta make a few friends and likely one of them will know a way to get it. testfactor888

Clearly not where I live.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="testfactor888"] So you are apparently for keeping tobacco legal which has caused way more deaths than Marijuana ever has. Yet also are against Marijuana. I just don't get it at all honestly. I smoke cigs as well though so this is not an anti-tobacco post :) *takes hit off cigtestfactor888

The major repercussions would not be known till after it was legalized, if there are any at all. Anything now would be speculation on our parts

Do you remember the thread "if marijuana was legalized, would you smoke it?"

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 testfactor888

[QUOTE="testfactor888"]

They are actually really easy to find. I am not saying that to be a jerk but they don't take that much effort to find just gotta make a few friends and likely one of them will know a way to get it. bloodling

Clearly not where I live.

Well I grew up for most of my life in Las Vegas NV so I know that town is already unlike anywhere else I know of pretty much. So you might have a point on that :) I just know whenever I wanted something I never had issue finding it within a day or 2.
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

I don't care what they do with it - as long as they don't raise my taxes to create government run detox programs to get strung-out unemployed peopleoff of it.

RYDERFTN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 RYDERFTN

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"] I've already explained my beliefs to you in previous posts... I don't see why I have to retype them if you didn't take the time to read them.bloodling

I could actually go to my gas station and buy some blue belly if I wanted to. And thats sad so....
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 testfactor888

bloodling

So your major repercussion is if it we're legalized more people would smoke it? Honestly I think thats a good thing as that would be extra tax dollars toward the government of the state and country

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 deactivated-6016f2513d412

I made more points, but okay. Drugs are a lot easier to get than you'd think, apparently, and if drug usage increases significantly, I don't see why it matters. People are free to do what they want.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 bloodling

I made more points, but okay. Drugs are a lot easier to get than you'd think, apparently, and if drug usage increases significantly, I don't see why it matters. People are free to do what they want.t3hrubikscube

Yes, but that doesn't mean we have to hand them harmful stuff on a silver platter.

And I disagree with your second sentence.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 deactivated-6016f2513d412

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"] I made more points, but okay. Drugs are a lot easier to get than you'd think, apparently, and if drug usage increases significantly, I don't see why it matters. People are free to do what they want.bloodling

Yes, but that doesn't mean we have to hand them harmful stuff on a silver platter.

I don't know how many times I have to reiterate this: legalizing drugs is not the same as handing drugs out to people. We don't hand tobacco out. We don't hand alcohol out. It's simply there for purchase, and if people want it, then they'll buy it. If they don't, then they won't. I don't see why it's any of your or anyone else's business if someone wants to take drugs. Yes, most drugs are rather harmful, but that's up to the drug user. If they want to take the risk, then so be it. Why is it anyone else's business? I don't understand your logical at all, and quite frankly, I'm irate.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="testfactor888"] The major repercussions would not be known till after it was legalized, if there are any at all. Anything now would be speculation on our partstestfactor888

So your major repercussion is if it we're legalized more people would smoke it? Honestly I think thats a good thing as that would be extra tax dollars toward the government of the state and country

Both positive and negative. As I said, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, for marijuana that is.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 testfactor888

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"] I made more points, but okay. Drugs are a lot easier to get than you'd think, apparently, and if drug usage increases significantly, I don't see why it matters. People are free to do what they want.bloodling

Personally I think it would be best if we did. People are going to find a way to do something that they want to do regardless of how they have to get it. It would be better for the government to get tax dollars from it
KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 KamuiFei

[QUOTE="KamuiFei"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"] it's not addictive. behaviorally? that's pansy talk. WAH I CAN'T STOP PLAYING WOW WAH poppycocktestfactor888

Just because he is still doing it doesn't mean he is addicted, maybe he simply enjoys it

He tried quitting several times, he just couldn't give it up. Thats why I believe pot can be addictive depending on the person using it, just like anything else. I have no problem with it being legalized, but people that never did it should be warned with possible behavior changes. Again I have nothing against it being legalized, in fact I think it would be financially viable for the states to legalize it, but just because something is legal to use, doesn't mean everyone should use it (much like cigs or alcohol ironically).

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"] I made more points, but okay. Drugs are a lot easier to get than you'd think, apparently, and if drug usage increases significantly, I don't see why it matters. People are free to do what they want.t3hrubikscube

I don't know how many times I have to reiterate this: legalizing drugs is not the same as handing drugs out to people. We don't hand tobacco out. We don't hand alcohol out. It's simply there for purchase, and if people want it, then they'll buy it. If they don't, then they won't. I don't see why it's any of your or anyone else's business if someone wants to take drugs. Yes, most drugs are rather harmful, but that's up to the drug user. If they want to take the risk, then so be it. Why is it anyone else's business? I don't understand your logical at all, and quite frankly, I'm irate.

Well, I don't think I'm crazy... These things are illegal in almost every country in the world for a reason...

Yes, alcohol and cigarettes are handed to us, if we want to buy those things obviously.