How is marijuana different than other banned drugs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Why should it be legalized but not others?

NOTE: I am NOT advocating the legalization of any drugs.

RULE: Please do NOT admit to using banned substances. As m0zart informed me (and I totally agree), if this topic devolves into that kind of discussion, it WILL BE LOCKED!

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to add medicinal purposes only to the poll. How do I add it? >_>

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I'm fine with it being used for medical purposes. Otherwise I don't see why it should be legalized.

Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
Because it is not addictive(not physically at least). It doesn't cause harm to your body like, say meth does. It just isn't as bad. I don't do it, I don't even drink for that matter. But alcohol is legal, weed is no worse.
Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
I guess one reason is that we spend so much time and money trying to get rid of it, when if it were legalized, we may profit. I don't really care however, because Canada's laws against it are minimal.
Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10991 Posts

Meh...

It has nowhere near the addictive qualities of other banned drugs (heroin, cocaine)...

It heavily impairs your judgement/motor skills, however...much like alcohol.

I doubt it will ever be legalized. (In the states, at least)

SmittyPeppers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SmittyPeppers
Member since 2010 • 1569 Posts
Well for one, it won't kill you.
Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10991 Posts

I guess one reason is that we spend so much time and money trying to get rid of it, when if it were legalized, we may profit. I don't really care however, because Canada's laws against it are minimal.metallica_fan42

I disagree.

Only certain parts of certain cities will you have an easy time smoking weed in Canada.

Many people will still look at you in disgust if they see you smoking a joint...and most cops will not look the other way.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
I see nothing but bad results from marijuana being legalized.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

There are medical benefits - from treating those with anxiety disorder to acting as a simple pain reliever, it can have some good effects on the body when used in the right circumstance. There's also some other medical benefits but you're better off searching for them on google than having me list them here (I'm lazy :P).

Then there's the lesser evil argument. Cigarettes are legal. They harm your body. 480,000+ people die every year from tobacco-related illness. Zero die every year from smoking marijuana.

Take into account the sheer amount of money that the government puts into restricting the substance when it's not that harmful (people getting arrested for it, etc.), and you can also see why many people want it legalized.

There's a few other arguments out there but you can read them online or the more knowledgable users here can help inform you.

Coalxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Coalxx
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

its not legal yet?!

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
The government has no business telling grown men and women what they can and cannot put into their own bodies. Further, the drug war is one of the largest net drains on our economy. We spend billions fighting drugs, but they keep flooding in. Making them illegal has led to the business of drug dealing becoming one of the largest contributors to the funding of street gangs and organized crime. Thus, we spend more money fighting the criminals that our own policies create and empower. If drugs were legal, the tax revenue increase would be staggering and our spending would be shrinking. With a smaller national debt and deficit, we have more breathing room and inspire more confidence on the world stage, which goes a long way in determining the dollar of the value versus other world currencies. There is also the matter of job creation. The cultivation and distribution of recreational or medicinal drugs on this scale would create millions of jobs both here and in third world countries. This decreases unemployment (and thus the national debt) and creates new capital (note the difference between capital and currency). It should be obvious to everyone that prohibition does not work. Anyone who wants to can get any drug they had a mind to try. It's insanely easy. Further, to say that legalizing drugs would increase usage implies that fear of legal consequence is why average citizens don't use drugs in the first place. I'm more inclined to believe that people avoid heroin and meth not because they fear getting arrested, but rather, because they fear the effects those drugs will have on their bodies. Thus, education should be our strategy for minimizing drug use; it's time to abandon punishment,
Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ultimas_Blade
Member since 2004 • 3671 Posts

Not a user nor will I ever be. But, I'll propose this argument for its legalization:

How many peoplehave youheard that have died or killed someonewhile driving drunk? How many people have you heard that have died or killed someone while driving high?

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16026 Posts

It supposedly has benefits for people who suffer from injuries. People who use medical marijuana are not smoking it to get high or to feel cool-- they use it for relief. I don't think it should be legalized for recreational purposes, but I would say that it's a good thing if the drug is used for medical purposes.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
[QUOTE="savebattery"]The government has no business telling grown men and women what they can and cannot put into their own bodies. Further, the drug war is one of the largest net drains on our economy. We spend billions fighting drugs, but they keep flooding in. Making them illegal has led to the business of drug dealing becoming one of the largest contributors to the funding of street gangs and organized crime. Thus, we spend more money fighting the criminals that our own policies create and empower. If drugs were legal, the tax revenue increase would be staggering and our spending would be shrinking. With a smaller national debt and deficit, we have more breathing room and inspire more confidence on the world stage, which goes a long way in determining the dollar of the value versus other world currencies. There is also the matter of job creation. The cultivation and distribution of recreational or medicinal drugs on this scale would create millions of jobs both here and in third world countries. This decreases unemployment (and thus the national debt) and creates new capital (note the difference between capital and currency). It should be obvious to everyone that prohibition does not work. Anyone who wants to can get any drug they had a mind to try. It's insanely easy. Further, to say that legalizing drugs would increase usage implies that fear of legal consequence is why average citizens don't use drugs in the first place. I'm more inclined to believe that people avoid heroin and meth not because they fear getting arrested, but rather, because they fear the effects those drugs will have on their bodies. Thus, education should be our strategy for minimizing drug use; it's time to abandon punishment,

Post of the week right here folks. I agree with everything that has been said. Sometimes I think the education system is founded on broken morals rather than on logic and information.
ObeseBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ObeseBanana
Member since 2010 • 137 Posts

Marijuana doesn't seem that bad in my opinion. I would never use it but my friend who do use it are pretty functional peope. Alcohol seems worse to me.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

because it's not addicting, doesn't eat holes in your brain, doesn't make you lose your teeth/hair, has medicinal benefits

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44637 Posts
the fact that you'd have to consume twice your weight of it in one sitting to overdose on the effects of THC I'd say sets it apart from many things
SmittyPeppers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SmittyPeppers
Member since 2010 • 1569 Posts
[QUOTE="Saturos3091"][QUOTE="savebattery"]The government has no business telling grown men and women what they can and cannot put into their own bodies. Further, the drug war is one of the largest net drains on our economy. We spend billions fighting drugs, but they keep flooding in. Making them illegal has led to the business of drug dealing becoming one of the largest contributors to the funding of street gangs and organized crime. Thus, we spend more money fighting the criminals that our own policies create and empower. If drugs were legal, the tax revenue increase would be staggering and our spending would be shrinking. With a smaller national debt and deficit, we have more breathing room and inspire more confidence on the world stage, which goes a long way in determining the dollar of the value versus other world currencies. There is also the matter of job creation. The cultivation and distribution of recreational or medicinal drugs on this scale would create millions of jobs both here and in third world countries. This decreases unemployment (and thus the national debt) and creates new capital (note the difference between capital and currency). It should be obvious to everyone that prohibition does not work. Anyone who wants to can get any drug they had a mind to try. It's insanely easy. Further, to say that legalizing drugs would increase usage implies that fear of legal consequence is why average citizens don't use drugs in the first place. I'm more inclined to believe that people avoid heroin and meth not because they fear getting arrested, but rather, because they fear the effects those drugs will have on their bodies. Thus, education should be our strategy for minimizing drug use; it's time to abandon punishment,

Post of the week right here folks. I agree with everything that has been said. Sometimes I think the education system is founded on broken morals rather than on logic and information.

After this post and the post in the UFC thread, I think me and savebattery should get along just fine :P
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

I think pretty much all drugs should be legalized or at least decriminalized.

Fried_Shrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fried_Shrimp
Member since 2009 • 2902 Posts

Not a user nor will I ever be. But, I'll propose this argument for its legalization:

How many peoplehave youheard that have died or killed someonewhile driving drunk? How many people have you heard that have died or killed someone while driving high?

Ultimas_Blade
That's because people drive way too slowly when they're high.
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 savebattery
[QUOTE="Fried_Shrimp"]I've smoked plenty and I voted no. The main reason being it causes schitzophrenia in some people.

Correlation does not imply causation. There is no evidence whatsoever that marijuana can cause schizophrenia. It's far more reasonable to think that schizophrenics are just more likely to use marijuana.
Fried_Shrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Fried_Shrimp
Member since 2009 • 2902 Posts
[QUOTE="savebattery"][QUOTE="Fried_Shrimp"]I've smoked plenty and I voted no. The main reason being it causes schitzophrenia in some people.

Correlation does not imply causation. There is no evidence whatsoever that marijuana can cause schizophrenia. It's far more reasonable to think that schizophrenics are just more likely to use marijuana.

Wrong. It's been proven that it does lead to schitzophrenia in some people who don't have it but are suseptable to it.
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 savebattery
[QUOTE="Fried_Shrimp"][QUOTE="savebattery"][QUOTE="Fried_Shrimp"]I've smoked plenty and I voted no. The main reason being it causes schitzophrenia in some people.

Wrong. It's been proven that it does lead to schitzophrenia in some people who don't have it but are suseptable to it.

Provide a peer-reviewed study, please.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44637 Posts
they should also legalize it because the war on drugs has skyrocketed incarceration rates in this country since the 80s, just read about the War On Drugs and the Prison Industrial Complex and how incarceration rates have skyrocketed since the 80s, for the benefit of private enterprise, people who smoke weed aren't as messed up as the people that exploit its illegality to hold them in prison for the sole purpose of monetary gain
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts

Legalize it. I already live in a state where its legal for medical purposes. Cali has it on the ballot this November to legalize it fully and I hope it passes. I live in Nevada and am only 5 minutes from the border so I will be making trips to Cali nonstop if that happens :) Anyways legalize it already and all you people in Cali please vote yes on Prop 19

misterbossman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 misterbossman
Member since 2009 • 478 Posts

how is it different?

not addictive

its a plant. no altering it or mixing or dangerous chemicals.

not a single harmful chemical in the plant.

a better question is why is it illegal?

another better question is when will it be legal, not will it be legal. it will be legal eventually.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts
Well for one, it won't kill you.SmittyPeppers
doesnt weed speed up your heart rate, though it doesn't kill one could say thats straining the heart.
misterbossman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 misterbossman

I've smoked plenty and I voted no. The main reason being it causes schitzophrenia in some people.Fried_Shrimp

tobacco causes cancer and a lot more complications. and its legal. :P

misterbossman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 misterbossman

[QUOTE="SmittyPeppers"]Well for one, it won't kill you.Santesyu
doesnt weed speed up your heart rate, though it doesn't kill one could say thats straining the heart.

lol so does red bull.

vodka slows down ur heart.

not a health concern in the long run.

Truf89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 Truf89
Member since 2006 • 4680 Posts
[QUOTE="savebattery"][QUOTE="Fried_Shrimp"][QUOTE="savebattery"] Correlation does not imply causation. There is no evidence whatsoever that marijuana can cause schizophrenia. It's far more reasonable to think that schizophrenics are just more likely to use marijuana.

I was paranoid for a period of time when I stopped smoking.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Ultimas_Blade

Well if you legalise pot wouldn't there be more pot related incidents due to increases in users?

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts

I'm fine with it being used for medical purposes. Otherwise I don't see why it should be legalized.

DJ-Lafleur
Pretty much this.
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 testfactor888

[QUOTE="Ultimas_Blade"]

Espada12

Well if you legalise pot wouldn't there be more pot related incidents due to increases in users?

That is something that can only be determined after it has been legalized. Anything before hand will just be speculation.
Truf89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 Truf89
Member since 2006 • 4680 Posts

[QUOTE="Ultimas_Blade"]

Espada12

People who are high tend to drive slow. But if everyone was driving slow then maybe something would happen..There are lots of pros and cons to legalizing this.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Ultimas_Blade"]

testfactor888

That is something that can only be determined after it has been legalized. Anything before hand will just be speculation.

Not really... if I said more cars on the road will = to more road accidents would that be speculation? Didn't drunk driving accidents increase after it became legal in the US?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Cannabis = Hemp = One of the most useful plants in the world.

Additionally, we wouldn't have to waste money on the drug war and we'd gain money from taxing it. There'd be less drug dealers on the streets and less gang-related activity surrounding the plant.

Legalizing weed is probably the smartest thing America could do at the moment.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 testfactor888

[QUOTE="testfactor888"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

Not really... if I said more cars on the road will = to more road accidents would that be speculation? Didn't drunk driving accidents increase after it became legal in the US?

No matter what you end up saying you can't provide any proof marijuana incidents would increase. It would all be speculation. In the long run if you want to go down this argument it would help if you brought with it some facts about how many marijuana incidents currently happen. Than you would have to guess at how many more people would smoke it if it became legal than take a guess at how many incidents you think would occur after legalization. No matter how you spin it, it will still just be speculation.

Cars and Alcohol have near nothing to do with the argument at hand. Alcohol only has a correlation because its another item that is legalized to get people their own personal high. Unfortunately alcohol has alot worse side effects and also leads to alot more problems than marijuana ever has.

edit - I do wonder though what you mean by incidents since marijuana has never led to a death. If you have proof otherwise that marijuana has killed someone I would definetely be interested in seeing it

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

how? you don't get OD'd on pot,duh

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

[QUOTE="Fried_Shrimp"][QUOTE="savebattery"] Correlation does not imply causation. There is no evidence whatsoever that marijuana can cause schizophrenia. It's far more reasonable to think that schizophrenics are just more likely to use marijuana.savebattery

I would think he's actually right, but only in the sense that an individual predisposed to develop schizophrenia has a greater chance of developing it if they smoke weed (and probably fairly regularly). I can't provide any evidence as we're harking back many a year when I studied psychology, but even if it was the case I don't think it's an argument against weed really. That would be like taking the miniscule number of people having adverse affects from aspirin as a reason to criminalize it.

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
it should definitely be legalized. better it be illegal to have under 18 or 21 than have kids like 13 years old getting it and helping them get schizophrenia.
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 poptart

VaguelyTagged

Well you can, but you just tend to spin out and throw up :P

You don't tend to OD on certain downers either e.g. Valium...

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 testfactor888

[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"]

poptart

I think he meant OD as in die from it. Would be alot easier to die from an overdose of Valium. No one has ever died from pot.
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
[QUOTE="poptart"]

[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"]

testfactor888

I think he meant OD as in die from it. Would be alot easier to die from an overdose of Valium. No one has ever died from pot.

that right there should show people that its not as bad as people think.
MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts

As far as Ive seen, for the most part it IS NOT addictive though it CAN BE addictive. I say can be, because I knew someone who smoked it nearly every single day for 3 years straight and they seemed as if they couldnt stop just like that, even though they claimed they could.
I also have known people who have actually quit after a long time of use, though not as constant as my aforementioned friend.
They were rather strong at mind though.

I think it can't be worse then alcohol in any case(My fathers an alcoholic. Once had a seizure when he didnt drink for about a week)
and in my opinion the government should legalize it.
If sold, it could pull in massive tax revenue.
Just slap on the same laws that alcohol has, and everything should be fine for the most part and it would be no different.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 poptart

[QUOTE="poptart"]

[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"]

testfactor888

Ah that's what I meant as well - you don't really die from an OD on Valium either... unless you stumble in front of a car or fall out of a window or summat

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 testfactor888

[QUOTE="testfactor888"][QUOTE="poptart"]

poptart

Ah that's what I meant as well - you don't really die from an OD on Valium either... unless you stumble in front of a car or fall out of a window or summat

Yeah I am not saying its an easy task just saying it would be easier on Valium :) Another post in this thread said you would have to smoke twice your weight to OD on pot but I don't feel like going around the net to check that atm. Sounds like its probably true though.
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Marijuana in the United States is listed as a Schedule 1 drug, meaning it is considered in the USA as being on par with other drugs such as heroine and GHB. What everyone has to understand though is that it does not just major "dangerousness" it is also measured by amount of people using amongst other categories.

Marijuana is different because the effects it has compared to other drugs is not as severe. Supporters argue that it's less addicting than cigarettes with fewer health concerns, and safer than alcohol.

People against the drug argue that there's not THAT much long term research to know exactly the effects of marijuana. But a lot of illegal drugs that are extremely dangerous also have medical purposes. MDMA (pure ecstacy), Heroine, Cocaine, all have medicinal purposes as so does marijuana.

But hopefully that helps.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Espada12

edit - I do wonder though what you mean by incidents since marijuana has never led to a death. If you have proof otherwise that marijuana has killed someone I would definetely be interested in seeing it

testfactor888

Incidents means that you do stupid crap while you are high and it ends up in someone else dead. Much like drunk driving causes...or drunkness in general.

loft8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 loft8000
Member since 2008 • 1435 Posts

Follow Portugal, all their drug problems are decreased.