How do you pronounce "Ask"?

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

I personally pronounce it Ahh-sk.

However the reason i ask is because i'm constantly hearing people say "axe", it's confusing.

So which do you use? and which is correct?

hockeyjunkie28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hockeyjunkie28
Member since 2004 • 4715 Posts
Ok enough with the "How do you pronounce *insert word here* topics". Its getting old
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I pronounce it the way it is spelled. I am annoyed when when people pronounce it as "axe".

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

However the reason i ask is because i'm constantly hearing people say "axe", it's confusing.

Nibroc420
Not serious question is not serious
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts

wtf. what do you mean how do you pronounce it. there is no other way to pronounce it is there>>???/

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nibroc420

wtf. what do you mean how do you pronounce it. there is no other way to pronounce it is there>>???/

sAndroid17
Some people say "Axe"" As in "I axed you a question"
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
deactivated-6016f3a1e8420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
Member since 2005 • 112042 Posts
A new fad has begun, it seems.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
Ass. The "K" is silent.
atony12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 atony12
Member since 2007 • 960 Posts

Oh dear....OT is doomed (pronounced OT as O-T and Doomed and Do-oo-m-d)

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
People, there are exactly two (2) topics out of the first one-hundred (100) that are "pronounce this" threads. That does not a fad constitute.
NintendoNite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NintendoNite
Member since 2010 • 728 Posts
Fact: only black people pronounce it as "axe" HOWEVER, not all black people say it like "axe"
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nibroc420

People, there are exactly two (2) topics out of the first one-hundred (100) that are "pronounce this" threads. That does not a fad constitute.Theokhoth

Not like mockery, Yoda does.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JediXMan
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts

I pronounce it the way it is spelled. I am annoyed when when people pronounce it as "axe".

coolbeans90

Pretty much this, yeah.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
deactivated-6016f3a1e8420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
Member since 2005 • 112042 Posts
People, there are exactly two (2) topics out of the first one-hundred (100) that are "pronounce this" threads. That does not a fad constitute.Theokhoth
Give it a day or two and you'll see.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Ass. The "K" is silent.Theokhoth

The K is never silent!

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
The proper way? Honestly I had no idea there was an alternative for this word...
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JediXMan

I just looked up "ask" using WordWeb, and it says the pronunciation is "ask." :lol:

Guess that answers that.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nibroc420

I just looked up "ask" using WordWeb, and it says the pronunciation is "ask." :lol:

Guess that answers that.

JediXMan7
So not "Axe"?
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JediXMan

[QUOTE="JediXMan7"]

Guess that answers that.

Nibroc420

So not "Axe"?

No.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="JediXMan7"]

Guess that answers that.

JediXMan7

So not "Axe"?

No.

Schools fail us yet again...
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
ass-ka
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JediXMan

ass-kaMgamerBD

Why the A?

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts

[QUOTE="MgamerBD"]ass-kaJediXMan7

Why the A?

for some reason when I say it my mouth adds a "A" at the end. It could just be "ass" but I like to sound out the "k" too.
spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

i say it the way its spelled:|

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
Asske.
MrMe1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrMe1000
Member since 2007 • 2215 Posts

I pronounce it the way that it is spelt. I gets to be pretty annoying when people say axe.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

I tend to say "axe"... except not exactly like axe... start pronouncing the word "ass", but then instead of saying the two s's, add the "xe". That's how we pronounce it in New Orleans. Sorry if you don't like it, but people all around the world have different accents from yourself. The sooner people realize that and get over it, the better.

stevoqwerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 stevoqwerty
Member since 2006 • 4029 Posts

A new fad has begun, it seems.UltraZero

Just like "Rate This _____" threads? They better not banned this one.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

What an interesting thread we got here.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BMD004
[QUOTE="NintendoNite"]Fact: only black people pronounce it as "axe" HOWEVER, not all black people say it like "axe"

This isn't true. There is a whole city (New Orleans) that I know for a fact pronounces it very similar to "axe". And I'm sure the New Orleans accent isn't the only one that does this.
leperphiliac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 leperphiliac
Member since 2008 • 1391 Posts
arse-k
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nibroc420

I tend to say "axe"... except not exactly like axe... start pronouncing the word "ass", but then instead of saying the two s's, add the "xe". That's how we pronounce it in New Orleans. Sorry if you don't like it, but people all around the world have different accents from yourself. The sooner people realize that and get over it, the better.

BMD004
But "Axe" has a totally different meaning. And i dont want people to "Axe" me anything.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BMD004
[QUOTE="BMD004"]

Nibroc420
But "Axe" has a totally different meaning. And i dont want people to "Axe" me anything.

And I have a girl friend who lives here and she is from England. She pronounces "ball", "bowl", and "bull" almost exactly the same. They SHOULD all sound completely different. People have different accents. And "axe" does have a different meaning... but we don't spell it as "axe". It's just how we say it. And you don't get it confused because of the context. It's like the words to, two, and too. They sound the same, yet they are different words. My grandma has a thick cajun accent, and she says "do'" instead of "door". Sounds just like "dough". Yet I don't go to the freezer and open a pack of dough. When she says "Op da do'", I know she means to open the door. Sorry that people talk differently from you.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="BMD004"]

BMD004

And I have a girl friend who lives here and she is from England. She pronounces "ball", "bowl", and "bull" almost exactly the same. They SHOULD all sound completely different. People have different accents. And "axe" does have a different meaning... but we don't spell it as "axe". It's just how we say it. And you don't get it confused because of the context. It's like the words to, two, and too. They sound the same, yet they are different words. My grandma has a thick cajun accent, and she says "do'" instead of "door". Sounds just like "dough". Yet I don't go to the freezer and open a pack of dough. When she says "Op da do'", I know she means to open the door. Sorry that people talk differently from you.

No problem, i understand there are different languages. However, dont you think someone who's never talked to your grandma would get confused if she said "Op da Do" ?

If someone said "Op Da Do" i'd think they were mocking me. Like "Whoop De Doo"

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] But "Axe" has a totally different meaning. And i dont want people to "Axe" me anything.Nibroc420

No problem, i understand there are different languages. However, dont you think someone who's never talked to your grandma would get confused if she said "Op da Do" ?

You'd probably be confused... but so what? I'm just trying to say to people who "hate" when other people talk differently than them, they are getting mad at nothing. If people get "mad" that people talk differently, then they have issues. I don't know... are you confused by what this man is saying? Because this is what my great grandma sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2QtyHultEA
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="BMD004"]And I have a girl friend who lives here and she is from England. She pronounces "ball", "bowl", and "bull" almost exactly the same. They SHOULD all sound completely different. People have different accents. And "axe" does have a different meaning... but we don't spell it as "axe". It's just how we say it. And you don't get it confused because of the context. It's like the words to, two, and too. They sound the same, yet they are different words. My grandma has a thick cajun accent, and she says "do'" instead of "door". Sounds just like "dough". Yet I don't go to the freezer and open a pack of dough. When she says "Op da do'", I know she means to open the door. Sorry that people talk differently from you.BMD004

You'd probably be confused... but so what? I'm just trying to say to people who "hate" when other people talk differently than them, they are getting mad at nothing. If people get "mad" that people talk differently, then they have issues. I don't know... are you confused by what this man is saying? Because this is what my great grandma sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2QtyHultEA

Languages are ment for communication. If one party doesn't understand how to speak a language, very little communication can occur. By re-enforcing that saying "Axe" is ok instead of "Ask" You're butchering the english language and creating confusion where there doesn't have to be any.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Now I've become self concious. I say it the correct way "assk", but when I say "asked" I tend to say it fast and it comes out as "ast". "No, I ast him, and he said..."

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

Nibroc420

Languages are ment for communication. If one party doesn't understand how to speak a language, very little communication can occur. By re-enforcing that saying "Axe" is ok instead of "Ask" You're butchering the english language and creating confusion where there doesn't have to be any.

It depends on who I'm talking to. I can put on my "perfect American accent" when I want... such as if I'm giving a speech. But like I said earlier, I have a friend here from England, and she pronounces "bowl", "bull", and "ball" almost exactly the same. And she's ENGLISH. Those three words aren't meant to sound the same. There is a lot of controversy how things should be pronounced. Different cities in England have different "English" accents. Different cities in America have different "American" accents. And all of those accents in England are different from all of the accents in America. And Canada says things differently, and Jamaica says things differently, etc, etc. No way is 100% right. For example, some people in England say "ah-sk". While some people in America say "Ass-k". Which way do you pronounce the "A"? In Boston they pronounce "car" as "cah". In New Orleans, we pronounce it "caw". Same word, both American accents, both said completely different.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

Nibroc420

The "correct" way is still an accent. You are acting like there is a "no accent" way to say it. That isn't true. No matter how you say it, it is an accent.
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
I pronounce it "ask", the way it is spelled. I don't recall ever hearing anybody pronounce it any differently.
_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 _VenomX
Member since 2009 • 1614 Posts
[QUOTE="sAndroid17"]

Nibroc420

Can I "axe" your name please :P
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="sAndroid17"]

_VenomX

Can I "axe" your name please :P

:lol: "Axeing so many questions"

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BMD004
[QUOTE="sAndroid17"]

Nibroc420

It doesn't sound like that. I know when I say that sentence, it sounds like "I axsjuh uh question". Most people say things differently when speaking. For example, when speaking, most people say "shoulda", "coulda", "woulda". "I shoulda listened to BMD". Or if I said "He should have listened to him", it sounds like "He shoulda listened to'um". Everybody says things "wrong"... otherwise we'd all sound like robots. Nobody talks like that. So people need to get off their high horse.
_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 _VenomX

Nibroc420

Whats so bad about "axeing" you.:P

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

_VenomX

Whats so bad about "axeing" you.

ax verb /aks/ Cut or strike with an ax, esp. violently or destructively - the door had been axed by the firefighters plz dont axe me D:
_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 _VenomX
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] ax verb /aks/ Cut or strike with an ax, esp. violently or destructively - the door had been axed by the firefighters plz dont axe me D:

I am axeing you nicely :(
Bashers79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bashers79
Member since 2009 • 559 Posts

Nibroc420

'AXE' or 'AXED' is the new moronic, so called "GANGSTA" way of saying 'ask' and 'asked'. As a proud Southern Englishman I speak her Majesties English and pronounce ask and asked as'Arsk' and 'Arsked'. I don't think anyone can truly say which is correct but, people who say 'axe' and 'axed' are deliberately butchering the English language in order to sound cool and deserve to be shot.

Skargamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Skargamer
Member since 2009 • 2569 Posts
I say A** - k.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts
Ok enough with the "How do you pronounce *insert word here* topics". Its getting oldhockeyjunkie28
second!