How could anybody believe in God

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

Since I've grown older I started realizing and convinced that God does not exist. Where is the proof? I've even changed my view on "paranormal shows", and watch them mostly because everybody enjoys a good ghost story, at least me anyway.

Also to those believe in God, how can you be so sure that he does exist? I felt like science has explained a lot about our evolution. I read a bible long ago and found most of the stories just hogwash.

I never had my father or any other family member ever after they passed away try to contact me. And to those who do believe that there is an afterlife, would you enjoy being in heaven? I mean I thought about it, they say that you feel love and warmth. Like what were just going to sit in his kingdom and be happy forever?

Most of my other family is religious, I was raised as a catholic, but lost touch with it recently. The idea of God, heaven, and hell exist is just a fairy tale. The universe is so huge, how could we be the only intelligent civilization? Despite the fact that we have never found any signals in space to prove intelligent life, signals in space can take thousands, millions, or even billions of years to travel across space depending on the distance.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts

Look guys, an atheist on the internet obsessed with religion.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@m25105 said:

Looks guys, a person on the internet obsessed with pointing this out.

5dlrbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 5dlrbill
Member since 2012 • 103 Posts

Believing in god and doing what he says is two different things, even demons believe in god your lack of faith is weak an it shows on your poste, god and believing in him is a personal relationship with him and keeping to his commandments we all fall short but that's why I need God he helps me get back up.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 m25105

@foxhound_fox said:

@m25105 said:

I look forward to not reading your eventual 100 paragraph long rant and opinion on why religion sucks.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

How can you be so sure God doesn't exist. There is no evidence proving otherwise. Its why we call it a belief.

If there were answers for everything in this world, that would be wonderful, but there isn't hence why belief factors in. Science can only go so far, even then it can not explain origins.

Avatar image for cynical_buzzard
Cynical_Buzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Cynical_Buzzard
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

You have no real proof that he does not exist. If your crutch is science is becoming more and more advanced and being able to explain a lot more. That little crutch won't hold you up when you walk up to the pearly gates to be judged.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By m25105

@mystic_knight said:

How can you be so sure God doesn't exist. There is no evidence proving otherwise. Its why we call it a belief.

If there were answers for everything in this world, that would be wonderful, but there isn't hence why belief factors in. Science can only go so far, even then it can not explain origins.

The problem is that many think God = Religion. So if they find flaws in religion, instead of thinking that the religion is wrong, they assume that there's no God. It boils down to whether people believing if something/someone created everything as we know, or that everything popped out of no where via magic.

stev69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9  Edited By stev69
Member since 2006 • 161 Posts

I guess some people just need reassurance that there is a bigger picture to be part of, when in actual fact when some guy gets knifed in the street and is DOA for the sake of a few bucks in his wallet, you could argue a human life seems pretty insignificant. It isn't surprising some might find that assessment pretty bleak, and if their faith (blind or not) gets them through another day, who is anyone to knock it.

Granted like all religious activities some take it to an over zealous extent but people will always do that whether it be the religious application of a spiritual faith or even the religious pursuit of a scientific study. Sporting fans will actually fight one another because they support different teams for example, how dumb is that? Fanatics and stupid people come from all walks of life,

I used to think that people who let themselves be guided by ancient texts such as the bible were merely deluded, these days im more inclined to just take a live and let live approach.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@m25105 said:

I look forward to not reading your eventual 100 paragraph long rant and opinion on why religion sucks.

I can't say I've ever said religion "sucks".

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

@5dlrbill said:

Believing in god and doing what he says is two different things, even demons believe in god your lack of faith is weak an it shows on your poste, god and believing in him is a personal relationship with him and keeping to his commandments we all fall short but that's why I need God he helps me get back up.

I guess you haven't asked God to help you with your grammar?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@m25105 said:

I can't say I've ever said religion "sucks".

As an antitheist, I'll yell it for you

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mjf249

@cynical_buzzard: No I won't be judged in the pearly gates. I'll be six feet under, knowing I never existed or aware of everything I experienced throughout life. In fact becoming an atheist has made me a lot happier in life, and appreciate my time with friends, and family, even though that one day I won't ever be aware or conciousness.

And in all honesty science has explained our understanding of the human body. Not only that but how could God be so cruel, don't you people see? And please tell me why there are so many different Religions with people worshipping so many Gods?

Even than all this "God Bless the USA", and how much of an emphasize that God's on our side... Ha. If anything religion has caused more harm than good.

You of course are entitled to your opinion and beliefs but please back your statements up that God does exist. And no the Bible don't count. That was most likely written by people to keep humanity in check, and and for people who cannot accept death.

As I said, if you believe in it, there's no video games, television, music, or any form of entertainment. So your just gonna be in heaven and live happily after. Yeah I just don't buy that... Even than, who would want to live forever.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

It makes sense.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Because we can?

I don't get this. If you had some enlightenment and decided that God does not exist more power for you. Why do you feel the need to shove that enlightenment down our throats? Its quite ironic since one of the main arguments atheists have against theists is how they're constantly preaching about God and telling people what and what not to believe in. Yet we're having this topic, just like we've had it for a gazillion time whether on the Internet or in real life. I thought the whole idea of atheism is the absence of a belief in a deity and the subsequent complete disregard for the topic of religion altogether, unless you're a scholar or a theologian which is highly doubtful. I thought preaching is left for the clergy.

I'm not attacking atheism or atheists here, its simply a matter of principle and being consistent. The "doctrine" of atheism revolves around the notion of the complete and utter disbelief and disregard of a wholly unfounded and fictional concept: religion that seeks to establish the fact of the existence of an almighty and omnipotent God that created everything and will take it all back. If the doctrine is about that, how is it possible, for its adherents, with the exception of scholars and theologians of atheist origins, to initiate religious debates and quarrels? I'm not sure if my point is getting through, but can't you see the redundancy and dissonance in it? For an atheist of a firm, rational and well-founded affiliation with atheism, starting any sort of conversation or discussion on religion is like starting a debate on unicorns.

Besides that, what are we trying to achieve? We're obviously not going to convince you otherwise and the same goes to you. Let's just shut up, mind our own business and wait until each one of us finds out for himself eventually.

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mjf249

@5dlrbill: haha yeah it makes me weak. I accept death although I don't want to die just yet, I have still a lot I want to do and experience. Calling me weak minded because I don't believe in God? How does that make me weak minded? Please explain.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GazaAli

I also love it when an atheist infant goes on every time he has the chance about his family history and how he was raised religious. What a rebel rofl.

Sorry TC if I'm offending, its 5AM in the morning here and I'm sad as ****.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GazaAli

I used to go to church

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Why don't you just ask them?

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Given our lack of knowledge on most things and that what we do know is mind blowing, it's not so hard to believe. The universe is a crazy place.

I'm not saying that's a reason to believe but a good enough explanation for why some people do believe.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Jesus christ, who cares? Talking to both sides of the coin, keep that shit to yourself.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

No one cares about what you do or don't believe. Don't preach.....

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

Low IQ, poor education, indoctrination.

There's a few ways people might still believe in a God.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
@Nibroc420 said:

Low IQ, poor education, indoctrination.

There's a few ways people might still believe in a God.

Or for picking up religious chicks.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Perhaps it's faith, to thank, or to curse, or it's all three.

For me I think it's just faith.

picklesurprise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 picklesurprise
Member since 2013 • 185 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:

No one cares about what you do or don't believe. Don't preach.....

Preach brotha.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

what we call god is the vibration we translate as unconditional love. there is an infinite creator though that is constantly creating. you yourself are also a creator.

5dlrbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 5dlrbill
Member since 2012 • 103 Posts

like one guy before me said live and let live your choice, i lose no sleep over this do your own thing i don't have a silver tongue to persuade you.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

Every system tends towards equilibrium. The Universe is a large system and God is it's equilibrium.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lostrib

@EagleEyedOne said:

Every system tends towards equilibrium. The Universe is a large system and God is it's equilibrium.

oh god, not more equilibrium talk

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 EagleEyedOne

@lostrib said:

@EagleEyedOne said:

oh god, not more equilibrium talk

What's wrong with it?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lostrib

@EagleEyedOne: because it makes no sense, and talking to you is like banging my head against a very dense wall.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@m25105 said:

See, the thing is...you people act like this is some kind of profound and shocking revelation. Guys like this go around acting like you're just trying to spread the truth and enlighten people, but what they're failing to realize is that they're bringing NOTHING new to the table. Everyone's heard this $hit before and it didn't change their beliefs before, so why is it gonna be different this time? This is like when a bum asks you for a dollar and you tell him no, and then he immediately asks you for a dollar again. As if you somehow just had this huge change of heart or radically shifted your thinking within the last minute.

Same thing goes for religious proselytizers. Don't f***ing walk up to me and try to sell me on your religion by telling me how your god loves me or yadda yadda yadda. Do you seriously think I haven't heard that $hit before? If it didn't get me to convert to your religion before, then wtf makes you think this time is gonna be any different? That's sort of giving me pretty much NO credit, it's assuming I'll believe whatever the hell you say just because you said it. And f*** off with that. If you're gonna give me that little credit and treat me with that little respect right from the start, then why would I even take the time to CONSIDER buying what you're selling?

But yeah...everyone has their opinions and that's fine, but people need to at least drop themselves down a few pegs and realize that what they're saying (more often than not) is $hit that everyone already knows. If you're not bringing anything new to the table, then why are you worth my time or attention? Also, don't get lazy. For example, the TC starts off talking about how dumb it is to believe in a god, and then backs that up with claims pertaining to RELIGION. If you're sloppy enough that you use "religion" and "god" interchangeably and think that an argument against one equals and argument against the other, then you're REALLY not worth considering. I'm not even saying that you're wrong, but that you're just lazy and sloppy. And lazy and sloppy is kind of even WORSE than being wrong. You can easily sell people on a lie if you are thorough and do your research, but being obvious and sloppy turns people off right from the start. First impressions, that sort of thing. At least learn how to present your argument in a way that makes you look like someone who knows wtf he's talking about.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EagleEyedOne

@lostrib said:

@EagleEyedOne: because it makes no sense, and talking to you is like banging my head against a very dense wall.

A hollow head banging against a dense wall won't do very much. You can't even provide so much as a sentence to dispute my response to OP.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lostrib

@EagleEyedOne: because your response doesn't make sense, as I've tried to explain before. It's not worth it to try again

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EagleEyedOne

@lostrib said:

@EagleEyedOne: because your response doesn't make sense, as I've tried to explain before. It's not worth it to try again

Please, try again. I don't participate enough in OT to make me care enough to remember the conversations I've had here.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

@m25105 said:

@mystic_knight said:

The problem is that many think God = Religion. So if they find flaws in religion, instead of thinking that the religion is wrong, they assume that there's no God. It boils down to whether people believing if something/someone created everything as we know, or that everything popped out of no where via magic.

*Believes an unobservable, unexplainable, vaguely defined entity created everything. Calls observable, explainable phenomena "magic"*

lulz

Avatar image for happinessforyou
HappinessForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HappinessForYou
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts

God is invisible power who knows everything .Some people do not believe in god because they only have faith in what they see.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@worlock77 said:Calls observable, explainable phenomena "magic"*

lulz

See, here's the thing. The UNEXPLAINABLE thing is UNEXPLAINABLE. As in, there is neither a known scientific nor supernatural explanation for it.

Now, personally, I choose to believe that the more likely explanation is the one that relies on known scientific principles rather than unknown supernatural parties. But either way, it's still unexplainable. So let's all just slow the f*** down and start to appreciate how little we know about just about everything.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Simmer down people

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

It's just an idea that is significant to me and me only.

I can still rationalize things and put things in perspective, but my connection with a higher entity is sort of like the relationship I have with myself and the world I live in. It's being intimate to yourself in a way, but I use God as a way to describe that feeling.

I don't practice religion so I'm not a follower of any god but my own.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

Lol people still believe in god?

Flying spaghetti monster is where it's at now.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Books that encourage atheism are allowed in public schools - but books that encourage Christianity are banned.

No wonder so many people are brainwashed into hating God.

They're robots who have been told what to think and how to think by the government run, public "education" system.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts

@GazaAli said:

Because we can?

I don't get this. If you had some enlightenment and decided that God does not exist more power for you. Why do you feel the need to shove that enlightenment down our throats? Its quite ironic since one of the main arguments atheists have against theists is how they're constantly preaching about God and telling people what and what not to believe in. Yet we're having this topic, just like we've had it for a gazillion time whether on the Internet or in real life. I thought the whole idea of atheism is the absence of a belief in a deity and the subsequent complete disregard for the topic of religion altogether, unless you're a scholar or a theologian which is highly doubtful. I thought preaching is left for the clergy.

I'm not attacking atheism or atheists here, its simply a matter of principle and being consistent. The "doctrine" of atheism revolves around the notion of the complete and utter disbelief and disregard of a wholly unfounded and fictional concept: religion that seeks to establish the fact of the existence of an almighty and omnipotent God that created everything and will take it all back. If the doctrine is about that, how is it possible, for its adherents, with the exception of scholars and theologians of atheist origins, to initiate religious debates and quarrels? I'm not sure if my point is getting through, but can't you see the redundancy and dissonance in it? For an atheist of a firm, rational and well-founded affiliation with atheism, starting any sort of conversation or discussion on religion is like starting a debate on unicorns.

Besides that, what are we trying to achieve? We're obviously not going to convince you otherwise and the same goes to you. Let's just shut up, mind our own business and wait until each one of us finds out for himself eventually.

Wow. I think this may be the first time I've ever agreed with every word you said.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@worlock77 said:Calls observable, explainable phenomena "magic"*

lulz

See, here's the thing. The UNEXPLAINABLE thing is UNEXPLAINABLE. As in, there is neither a known scientific nor supernatural explanation for it.

Now, personally, I choose to believe that the more likely explanation is the one that relies on known scientific principles rather than unknown supernatural parties. But either way, it's still unexplainable. So let's all just slow the f*** down and start to appreciate how little we know about just about everything.

Well shit, I never would have guessed that something UNEXPLAINABLE is UNEXPLAINABLE. Thank you for that Captain.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Understanding how the whole burden of proof thing works makes me see those who believe in god more or less as I see people who believe in werewolves or the Yeti. Until they can prove it, what they believe in is nonsense. However, as long as they don't get preachy or try to judge me, I will gladly treat them with nothing but camaraderie and love.

For what it's worth, most believers are far, FAR less annoying and preachy than dipshits that believe in astrology, Feng Shui, and all that kind of crap.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

People expecting to be in a happy place after they died, which is heaven.. whatever?!.. Life sux here on earth, and it's gonna sux up in heaven too. why can't they except the fact after you died you're dead.