How boring is The Hobbit?

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 brucewayne69
Member since 2012 • 2864 Posts
Of course it's not as epic, I mean, the material just isn't there. People can't expect the Hobbit storyline to be as good as LOTR's. I mean, let's face it, the LOTR books are better. The Hobbit is still excellent. Either way, this movie kicks ass, best movie of the year. Oh, blasphemy, it's tied. Dark Knight Rises!!!!!
johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

Of course it's not as epic, I mean, the material just isn't there. People can't expect the Hobbit storyline to be as good as LOTR's. I mean, let's face it, the LOTR books are better. The Hobbit is still excellent. Either way, this movie kicks ass, best movie of the year. Oh, blasphemy, it's tied. Dark Knight Rises!!!!!brucewayne69

I agree 100%. Except for the TDKR part as the Hobbit has the top for me without any doubt.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts
Just watched it today and thought it was amazing. First bit was a bit slow but then it really picks up the pace. I saw it in HFR 3D and then saw it again the 24fps 3D straight after and the 48fps makes a huge difference for the better.
Mrcod11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Mrcod11
Member since 2003 • 3059 Posts

Not boring at all. Even the beginning is interesting if you're a Tolkien fan.

brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 brucewayne69

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]Of course it's not as epic, I mean, the material just isn't there. People can't expect the Hobbit storyline to be as good as LOTR's. I mean, let's face it, the LOTR books are better. The Hobbit is still excellent. Either way, this movie kicks ass, best movie of the year. Oh, blasphemy, it's tied. Dark Knight Rises!!!!!johnd13

I agree 100%. Except for the TDKR part as the Hobbit has the top for me without any doubt.

I mean, it's not like the Hobbit is lame, it's just not as epic in scale. It's not LOTR, and it shouldn't be. Second of all, it's really tough to tell. I don't know about you, but I view the trilogy as a whole. It's hard to seperate. That's what it's like for this. We have to wait for the next two to judge. Quite frankly, I'm excited for DoS the most, because we'll have more Smaug stuff, the battle of Dol Goldur, Spiders, Mirkwood, Legolas, Elven King and his kingdom, and more!
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#57 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I still cant believe they made that one book into 3 movies.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

Unrelated question but still about The Hobbit;

Does it have any spiders in it?

I just felt like asking without making a whole new thread about it. My buddy's wife wants to see it but she will not go if it has spider-like creatures in it :P

Amster_G
Heh. In Part 2, next year, there's a whole chapter with nasty horrible spiders in it. Might want to read the book first is she's really scared. ;)
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#59 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

if you can survive the frodo and sam and pippin and merry parts of lotr you can surely get through this.....

Laihendi

The scenes involving Frodo and Sam bonding were deep and depicted a profound love that I have never seen in any other movie. They were not exciting in a traditional sense, but I found them to be very moving.

Personally I spent the time wondering when they were finally going to climb on top of each other. But whatever.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

Unrelated question but still about The Hobbit;

Does it have any spiders in it?

I just felt like asking without making a whole new thread about it. My buddy's wife wants to see it but she will not go if it has spider-like creatures in it :P

Amster_G
It's clearly going to, but not this movie.
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 brucewayne69

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

if you can survive the frodo and sam and pippin and merry parts of lotr you can surely get through this.....

Storm_Marine

The scenes involving Frodo and Sam bonding were deep and depicted a profound love that I have never seen in any other movie. They were not exciting in a traditional sense, but I found them to be very moving.

Personally I spent the time wondering when they were finally going to climb on top of each other. But whatever.

You sir, are an idiot. Good day.
Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#62 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

The only time I got impatient was in the beginning, when they spend like 35 minutes in the shire basically just establishing that Bilbo is reluctant. Other than that I thought it was pretty well paced. I do think it could have been done better in two movies though.

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
It had no difficulties holding my attention throughout. The unexpected party scene was a bit long, but that was sort of necessary exposition to introduce Thorin's company and explain why they needed Bilbo.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
it didn't feel long at all.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

The only time I got impatient was in the beginning, when they spend like 35 minutes in the shire basically just establishing that Bilbo is reluctant. Other than that I thought it was pretty well paced. I do think it could have been done better in two movies though.

Brendissimo35
This is only the first movie.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

sonicare
There's enough in the book to fill a couple of three hour movies easily. Add in the supplemental material they're using to bridge the 'Hobbit' with the 'Lord of the Rings' and three movies is not unreasonable at all.
Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#67 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

[QUOTE="Brendissimo35"]

dkdk999

This is only the first movie.

That's what I mean, two movies would have been fine. Three seems like overkill, bit of a cash grab.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts
I just left the theater as I write this. If you think the Hobbit Part 1 of 3 is boring, you must be a Michael Bay fan. Go back to Transformers if you think it's boring.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]I just left the theater as I write this. If you think the Hobbit Part 1 of 3 is boring, you must be a Michael Bay fan. Go back to Transformers if you think it's boring.

lol
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicare"]

worlock77
There's enough in the book to fill a couple of three hour movies easily. Add in the supplemental material they're using to bridge the 'Hobbit' with the 'Lord of the Rings' and three movies is not unreasonable at all.

I don't think there was even supplemental material by Tolkien used in this first movie though. Just a bunch of stuff made up by PJ and Fran Walsh.
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 brucewayne69
[QUOTE="worlock77"][QUOTE="sonicare"]

Laihendi

I don't think there was even supplemental material by Tolkien used in this first movie though. Just a bunch of stuff made up by PJ and Fran Walsh.

It's mostly a set up for the next movie. The next two movies will be much, much darker. Trust me. There will be the battle of Dol Goldur in DoS, which will be one of the most epic battles of the Middle Earth Movies ever.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

The hobbit animation way back when was way better.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#73 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

I can't see why anyone would be bored. It didn't feel dragged out all that much at all.

Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

It was fine. The pacing could've been better, but if you can sit thru the endings of ROTK you can sit thru The Hobbit

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 worlock77
[QUOTE="worlock77"][QUOTE="sonicare"]

Laihendi

Then you haven't read much Tolkien.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="worlock77"] There's enough in the book to fill a couple of three hour movies easily. Add in the supplemental material they're using to bridge the 'Hobbit' with the 'Lord of the Rings' and three movies is not unreasonable at all.worlock77

which book is the one with the rabbit sleigh?

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 worlock77
Saw it this evening. It was fine enough. A couple of things that made me roll my eyes, but nothing that ruined it for me. Though I would like to ask Peter Jackson why the Goblin King has a scrotum hanging from his chin.
Elemayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Elemayo
Member since 2007 • 879 Posts
I hateeeeee ittttt
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] I don't think there was even supplemental material by Tolkien used in this first movie though. Just a bunch of stuff made up by PJ and Fran Walsh.Storm_Marine

None that I recall, but I did not claim that everything in the film was written by Tolkien.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"] Then you haven't read much Tolkien.worlock77

None that I recall, but I did not claim that everything in the film was written by Tolkien.

But what of the stuff was supplmental material from tolkien ? Theres some i'm sure like probably the begining of the movie. But 75% seems like it's hollywood action stuff.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 worlock77
[QUOTE="worlock77"][QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

dkdk999

But what of the stuff was supplmental material from tolkien ? Theres some i'm sure like probably the begining of the movie. But 75% seems like it's hollywood action stuff.

The White Council is a notable example. It's not in 'the Hobbit' book, but it's in Tolkien's writings. And yes, the action elements were played up, but by and large they don't go against the book.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Not boring at all. There is about 30 minutes at the begining of the movie where there is little action, but in a 3 hour movie, that really isn't unreasonable. The Fellowship of the Ring took about the same amount of time to get going as the Hobbit, so I don't see what the issue is. Once it gets going, the film really doesn't stop. To be honest, The Hobbit far exceded my expectations. There was very little if any filler material, I don't know what people were complaining about. The story was actually pretty epic, which surprised me considering The Hobbit (novel) storyline is so much smaller in scope and length than LoTR. The characters were really engaging, Thorin was awesome and I prefered the actor who played Bilbo (forgot his name) over Elijah Wood as a lead. Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. I've seen it twice and I would be fine with seeing it again.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

It it as good as the Lord of the Rings Triology? probably not, but is not boring at any minute.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
[QUOTE="worlock77"][QUOTE="dkdk999"][QUOTE="worlock77"] None that I recall, but I did not claim that everything in the film was written by Tolkien.

The White Council is a notable example. It's not in 'the Hobbit' book, but it's in Tolkien's writings. And yes, the action elements were played up, but by and large they don't go against the book.

The White Council is the only thing from supplemental material even used as far as I know, and even that didn't happen when it was depicted as having happened in the book. The other stuff (everything involving Azog and Radagast) is completely made up by PJ and his writers.
tetrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 tetrim
Member since 2012 • 230 Posts
At certain points it was pretty boring for me. Overall still a great movie.
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#86 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

I absolutely loved it and I don't see why some reviewers are bashing it. The first film of a trilogy is obviously going to have to lay quite a bit of foundation down.

deathtarget04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#87 deathtarget04
Member since 2009 • 2266 Posts

I thought it was great. Honestly I don't see how people can find it boring. Everything felt evenly paced.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#88 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
i want to get out ahead of the trend of hating on the hobbit because it's popular.. so i'm going to say it sucks.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

The Hobbit was quite possibly the dullest thing I've had to sit through this year, evenmoreso than Lincoln starring Donald Day Louis.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
it was OK. I think the reason it might seem boring is because the stakes are different. It was very different when the world was about to end, rather than having the looming threat of a little harmless dragon.
lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts

The Hobbit was quite possibly the dullest thing I've had to sit through this year, evenmoreso than Lincoln starring Donald Day Louis.

TheFallenDemon