HIV / AIDS: Will there ever be a cure?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

Do you think they'll ever be a cure for HIV / AIDS? Some speculate that there exists a cure or that one can be made, but that the government and the pharmaceutical companies are intentionally preventing such a cure from being made or released to the market, because healthcare in regard to HIV/ AIDS is so lucrative. What do you think?

Also, do you or have you ever personally known anyone with the disease? How did they or how are they fairing with it? Finally, how would you react if you found out you caught it (hopefully that NEVER happens).

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts
Loading Video...

"Hey man, you weren't at work yesterday, what's up?"

"Man my AIDS was acting up. You know when the weather gets like this my AIDS just pop up. But I took some Robitussin, I'm fine now."

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I sure hope not

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BluRayHiDef

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

I sure hope not

You hope that there won't be a cure for HIV/ AIDS? Why? I think a cure would be great. People could rawdog and not worry about it.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

Do you think they'll ever be a cure for HIV / AIDS? Some speculate that there exists a cure or that one can be made, but that the government and the pharmaceutical companies are intentionally preventing such a cure from being made or released to the market, because healthcare in regard to HIV/ AIDS is so lucrative. What do you think?

Also, do you or have you ever personally known anyone with the disease? How did they or how are they fairing with it? Finally, how would you react if you found out you caught it (hopefully that NEVER happens).

See, here's the problem with that argument. If you're in the business of selling "treatment" for a disease (rather than a cure), and if you believe that it's possible to make a cure, then it's in your best f***ing interest to make a cure yourself. Why? Because if there's a cure, then you bet your f***ing ass that your competitors are looking for it. If they find it and patent it before you do, then you're f***ed. Now why would anyone come to you for "treatment" when your competitor can actually CURE THEM?

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BluRayHiDef

@MrGeezer said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

See, here's the problem with that argument. If you're in the business of selling "treatment" for a disease (rather than a cure), and if you believe that it's possible to make a cure, then it's in your best f***ing interest to make a cure yourself. Why? Because if there's a cure, then you bet your f***ing ass that your competitors are looking for it. If they find it and patent it before you do, then you're f***ed. Now why would anyone come to you for "treatment" when your competitor can actually CURE THEM?

The theory is that all of the companies in the pharmaceutical industry are working together to prevent a cure from being made or released.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@MrGeezer said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

The theory is that all of the companies in the pharmaceutical industry are working together to prevent a cure from being made or released.

lol

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

@BluRayHiDef: Yeah eventually. Hell not too long ago I remember reading about a potential vaccine that is being tested.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

It's a virus - so no.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@MrGeezer said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

I wouldn't go that far, but drug patenting is pretty upsetting.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BluRayHiDef

@Person0 said:

@BluRayHiDef: Yeah eventually. Hell not too long ago I remember reading about a potential vaccine that is being tested.

If a cure is released, people are going to be rawdogging like crazy. "Hey, I remember that night I rawdogged Katie. You know, she gave me HIV, but it's no big deal because I got cured last week."

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BluRayHiDef

@Fightingfan said:

It's a virus - so no.

Well, how about a vaccine?

Ronstera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ronstera
Member since 2007 • 6112 Posts

Eventually I think there will be, I have faith in what science can do..

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 worlock77

@BluRayHiDef said:

@Person0 said:

If a cure is released, people are going to be rawdogging like crazy. "Hey, I remember that night I rawdogged Katie. You know, she gave me HIV, but it's no big deal because I got cured last week."

Yep, since HIV/AIDS is the only thing to be concerned about with unprotected sex.

Kissing_Raz0rs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 Kissing_Raz0rs
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

@worlock77 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@Person0 said:

Yep, since HIV/AIDS is the only thing to be concerned about with unprotected sex.

lol

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@worlock77: Obviously, I was exagerrating. My point is that people won't be as fearful in regard to contracting it; it would be seen as no more serious than current STDs that can be cured merely with antibiotics. As for pregnancy, a lot of people rely on the pull-out method.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@worlock77: Obviously, I was exagerrating. My point is that people won't be as fearful in regard to contracting it; it would be seen as no more serious than current STDs that can be cured merely with antibiotics. As for pregnancy, a lot of people rely on the pull-out method.

which is not a reliable way of not getting pregnant. and not all STDs can be cured with antibiotics

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By worlock77

@BluRayHiDef said:

Not all STDs can be cured with antibiotics and people who rely on the pull-out method are just asking to get pregnant.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

There've been some amazing scientific advancements in recent years that give me some hope to it being cured.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

I thought bone marrow got rid of it?

RAGEofSTUNTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RAGEofSTUNTS
Member since 2010 • 733 Posts

I could see a way to completely stop it from spreading or at least reducing the chance of spreading to minuscule values, but a actual cure won't be made for quite some time.

While it sounds terrible, people with HIV/AIDS will eventually die out, but there will always be a few idiots that don't give two flying shits about anyone else.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

There are plenty of lifesaving drugs out there already but these deplorable pharma patents make it impossible for everyone to have access to it. It's also the reason why millions die in the third world from it, because the US and pharma continue to refuse life saving drugs to developing nations.

There's a documentary out called "Fire in the Blood" which documents this scandalous operation.

http://fireintheblood.com/

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

@RAGEofSTUNTS: Actually, if a woman has hiv/aids, and gives birth without the right medical procedures taken...

The child can end up with hiv/aids.

Africa :(

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#24 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Find the people with AIDS. Don't let them have unprotected sex. Cured. Stop spunking money up the wall on scientific methods.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@SolidSnake35 said:

Find the people with AIDS. Don't let them have unprotected sex. Cured. Stop spunking money up the wall on scientific methods.

Two problems with that

1) Not everyone who's infected know they're infected

2) That's completely unethical

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 worlock77

@SolidSnake35 said:

And how would you do that?

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@MrGeezer said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Even if that was true, they would still develop it in secret and then back stab the other companies to get away with all the money. This is economics 101.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Sure, when they can figure out a way to charge people up the ass with it...

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#29  Edited By whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:

@RAGEofSTUNTS:

Actually, if a woman has hiv/aids, and gives birth without the right medical procedures taken...

The child can end up with hiv/aids.

Africa :(

Yeah. I think anti-retrovirals, in addition to keeping the mother alive, can reduce the possibility of HIV being transferred to the child. the anti-retroviral prevents the HIV viruses (which are retroviruses) from reproducing their genes by blocking the enzyme reverse transcriptase which retroviruses use in the process called reverse transcription (synthesizing RNA from DNA). By preventing the HIV virus from reproducing this keeps the number of viruses in the host from growing, making it less likely to spread to the child.

Mr-GameCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mr-GameCast
Member since 2004 • 198 Posts

bone marrow transplant. but it's risky

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By whipassmt

@Mr-GameCast said:

I think it's also only helped get rid of HIV in a few cases, I could be wrong though. From what I remember of the news reports, doctors don't recommend getting the transplant if someone has HIV for the sake of curing the HIV, they only recommend the transplant if someone needs the transplant to treat those things that are normally treated by the bone marrow transplant (which I think would be leukemia and other blood issues).

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lostrib

@whipassmt said:

@Mr-GameCast said:

I think it's also only helped get rid of HIV in a few cases, I could be wrong though. From what I remember of the news reports, doctors don't recommend getting the transplant if someone has HIV for the sake of curing the HIV, they only recommend the transplant if someone needs the transplant to treat those things that are normally treated by the bone marrow transplant (which I think would be leukemia and other blood issues).

yeah, it was in patients who had previously had chemotherapy to treat cancer.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By whipassmt

I think there is some work on a possible vaccine. I've also heard a few years ago about a gel they came out with that reduces the chances of the virus spreading from one person to another.

There were some recent, separate, stories about a newborn and an adult who both were infected with HIV and were eventually "cured" of it. The infant is HIV free now, but I think subsequent tests have found that the adult still has HIV present in his rectal tissue, but since it's not in his blood stream it wouldn't effect his health unless the HIV from his rectum was able to get into the blood stream if he were to suffer rectal bleeding.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 whipassmt

@lostrib said:

@whipassmt said:

@Mr-GameCast said:

That makes sense. The patients had Leukemia right? Leukemia is basically a blood cancer. I wonder if the chemo might've helped weaken the HIV particles? Chemotherapy works by killing reproducing cells (cancer cells often reproduce rapidly) which is also why it has a lot of side effects, so perhaps it may also stop viruses from reproducing (though maybe it doesn't. I don't know. Since a virus is not really a cell).

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

I sure hope not

You hope that there won't be a cure for HIV/ AIDS? Why? I think a cure would be great. People could rawdog and not worry about it.

naw, 2/3 or black fathers already ditch their kids.

That would only make it worse if they were using less protection.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lostrib

@whipassmt said:

@lostrib said:

@whipassmt said:

@Mr-GameCast said:

That makes sense. The patients had Leukemia right? Leukemia is basically a blood cancer. I wonder if the chemo might've helped weaken the HIV particles? Chemotherapy works by killing reproducing cells (cancer cells often reproduce rapidly) which is also why it has a lot of side effects, so perhaps it may also stop viruses from reproducing (though maybe it doesn't. I don't know. Since a virus is not really a cell).

I think the first guy had a bone marrow transplant with cells that are resistant to HIV infection. And then the other two patients were taking anti-HIV medication still when they had the transplant, and they think that helped prevent the new cells from being infected possibly. I don't think they really no exactly why it works yet, and the operation has only been done on like 3 patients

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37  Edited By deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Government researches will likely find a cure, but because there is such an anti-government sentiment in the US, many will refuse to take the cure for fear of being brainwashed. The rest of the world will take the cure and rejoice, and we'll be dealing with it for another century.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lostrib

@jimkabrhel said:

Government researches will likely find a cure, but because there is such an anti-government sentiment in the US, many will refuse to take the cure for fear of being brainwashed. The rest of the world will take the cure and rejoice, and we'll be dealing with it for another century.

I don't think it is really that big an issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

@lostrib said:

@jimkabrhel said:

Of course I'm exaggerating a little, but just look at the reaction in the thread about the FDA trying to ban trans fats. People rebel against the government even if the government is trying to protect it's citizens.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@worlock77 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Not all STDs can be cured with antibiotics and people who rely on the pull-out method are just asking to get pregnant.

That really depends on the person. The pull-out method is pretty effective if you don't ejaculate prematurely.

Advance_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Advance_101
Member since 2003 • 18751 Posts

There is probably already a cure. It's just not being released because of all the billions of dollars that goes into it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lostrib

@jimkabrhel said:

@lostrib said:

@jimkabrhel said:

Of course I'm exaggerating a little, but just look at the reaction in the thread about the FDA trying to ban trans fats. People rebel against the government even if the government is trying to protect it's citizens.

Well the cure would probably end up being provided by a private company. But it would also require there to be a significant overlap between those with HIV/AIDS and those that are antigovernment/antivaccine/etc.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lostrib

@Advance_101 said:

There is probably already a cure. It's just not being released because of all the billions of dollars that goes into it.

um what?

Advance_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Advance_101
Member since 2003 • 18751 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Advance_101 said:

um what?

Well, it is only just a theory. You would think after decades of research and financial assistance there would be a cure by now.
No more HIV = no more money to be made of it

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Advance_101 said:

um what?

There are people out there who claim that Magic Johnson was cured of HIV in secret and you can get cured if you have enough money. Of course, that is just a conspiracy theory and they aren't factoring in the fact that Johnson has the money to get treatment that prevented his condition from killing him like somebody who isn't rich.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lostrib

@Advance_101 said:

@lostrib said:

@Advance_101 said:

um what?

Well, it is only just a theory. You would think after decades of research and financial assistance there would be a cure by now.

No more HIV = no more money to be made of it

That's a terrible theory, just because we have been researching it for decades does not mean it should have a cure; AIDS is a very complicated disease and HIV is prone to mutation. And your original statement needs to be reworded, it makes it sound like the cure isn't being released because they invested billions of dollars.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#47 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

The problem with HIV is that it is a constantly mutating virus. Even if they were to find a cure for it, there's no guarantee that it would work on everyone infected with it or that it won't be rendered ineffective after a few years. It's the same reason why you see people having to take flu shots every year. Not to say that a cure can't eventually happen (or at the very least, treatment options that are much cheaper and more effective), but it's a way bigger endeavor than it seems, and honestly not surprising that it's already taken billions of dollars in research to get there.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BluRayHiDef

@1PMrFister said:

The problem with HIV is that it is a constantly mutating virus. Even if they were to find a cure for it, there's no guarantee that it would work on everyone infected with it or that it won't be rendered ineffective after a few years. It's the same reason why you see people having to take flu shots every year. Not to say that a cure can't eventually happen (or at the very least, treatment options that are much cheaper and more effective), but it's a way bigger endeavor than it seems, and honestly not surprising that it's already taken billions of dollars in research to get there.

Potentially stupid question: Why can't vaccines be released for new strains every year or so, such as what is done with the flu?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lostrib

@BluRayHiDef said:

@1PMrFister said:

Potentially stupid question: Why can't vaccines be released for new strains every year or so, such as what is done with the flu?

costly, they would have to first find a vaccine, there's not an HIV season like there is a flu season to prepare for

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

People who insist that the government/hospitals/pharmacuetical companies are holding back a cure for AIDS make me weep. What's next, the government created AIDS to wipe out Africans? ****.