Here's my problem with smoking.

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#51 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
A very similar argument could be made for alcohol...spazzx625
Drinking in a lift doesn't cause people to get drunk too... Smelling secondary smoke causes cancer.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I'm not personally going over to Darfur and trying to help survivors of the genocide rebuiold their lives, I'm not going over to Israel and protesting against the seizing of Palestinian settlements, I'm not going over to China or Iran to stand up against police crackdowns against protesters, does that mean I don't care about any of this? No, it means some things are out of my control and I have to accept that there's no earth-shattering thing I can do to change that. You're not all of the sudden going to make smokers quit by telling them smoking is bad. People's personal lives are something that are even more out of your control than international tragedies are out of mine. People in a society can affect change within that society, but sooner or later you are going to have to accept that you cannot control people's lives and make their decisions for them. They know smoking is bad, they've made that choice, and they're going to have to live with that. Meanwhile, their personal decisions don't affect you, so stop trying to make them affect you and get on with your life.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 avatar_genius
Member since 2009 • 8056 Posts

Some people just don't believe in themselves and the power they hold I suppose.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#54 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts

LOL.. or how about simply that they want to?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 avatar_genius

Besides, if you want to get technical, did I once in this entire thread tell anyone to quit smoking? Yes or no.

thatninja18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 thatninja18
Member since 2009 • 173 Posts

easy for non-smokers to say that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#57 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I only have one problem with smoking - that it affects those around the person smoking. If someone wishes to smoke and destroy their own body, more power to them. But if their habit damages those around them, then I have issues with that.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#58 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
Thing i hate bout smoking being 15, is the more inferior school students here that smoke think its cool and do it for no reason. I find it funny with their smokers cough. i laugh at them
XDXDXDXDXDXDXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 XDXDXDXDXDXDXD
Member since 2007 • 2399 Posts
smokingsbad. Enough said. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 avatar_genius

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

mfp16

You said that you are a smoker.

Let's assume your lung gives out when you are 60 years old and you need a new one, and they find a match for you, but there's also a perfect match for a person who needs a lung who has cystic fibrosis.

Who is more deserving of the lung, you, or the person with cystic fibrosis?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 avatar_genius

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

thatninja18

easy for non-smokers to say that.

Yeah, maybe I made the smarter choice to not do it in the first place.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I only have one problem with smoking - that it affects those around the person smoking. If someone wishes to smoke and destroy their own body, more power to them. But if their habit damages those around them, then I have issues with that.

sonicare

Mmph, smoking is illegal in most public places already.

Now if someone chooses to hang out with smokers, that's their right.

thatninja18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 thatninja18
Member since 2009 • 173 Posts

[QUOTE="mfp16"][QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

Let's assume your lung gives out when you are 60 years old and you need a new one, and they find a match for you, but there's also a perfect match for a person who needs a lung who has cystic fibrosis.

what if the smoker didn't want to live past 60

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 theone86

Besides, if you want to get technical, did I once in this entire thread tell anyone to quit smoking? Yes or no.

So you're saying you're not even trying to get people to quit, you just want to look down your nose at them and make them see how much better of a person you are for not smoking, correct?

jasperrussell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 jasperrussell
Member since 2005 • 1960 Posts

TC, you forgot to mention that smoking makes you dumber.

"Smokers performed significantly worse in five different cognitive tests than did both former smokers and those who had never smoked," the British weekly New Scientist reports.

ALSO, for all those smokers that say it relieves stress - it's been proven that smoking only relieves the stress created from nicotine withdrawal.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 theone86

[QUOTE="mfp16"][QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

In that case the lung would most likely go to the person with cystic fibrosis. Hospitals screen for things like drug use that could cause damage to donated organs.

Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#67 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts
there's no doubt that smoking is terrible, but what I want to know is why people start smoking?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 avatar_genius

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

theone86

So you're saying you're not even trying to get people to quit, you just want to look down your nose at them and make them see how much better of a person you are for not smoking, correct?

What?

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

What?

if you aren't trying to get people to stop smoking then what is the point of the thread?
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

Smoking is bad for you. No one is going to argue that.

But that's not the point. There's two reasons why people smoke:

1) They have an addiction

2) They enjoy it

In the first case, if you think overcoming addiction only requires a strongminded person then you are greatly mistaken and clearly have never had a chemical dependence.

In the second case, this is none of your business. People are rational actors that can weigh the pros and cons of situations. It's quite possible the enjoyment they get out of smoking is worth the health risks to them. Just like anyone else who engages in unhealthy activities such as diet choices or anything else.

jasperrussell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 jasperrussell
Member since 2005 • 1960 Posts

2) They enjoy it

In the first case, if you think overcoming addiction only requires a strongminded person then you are greatly mistaken and clearly have never had a chemical dependence.

In the second case, this is none of your business. People are rational actors that can weigh the pros and cons of situations. It's quite possible the enjoyment they get out of smoking is worth the health risks to them. Just like anyone else who engages in unhealthy activities such as diet choices or anything else.

_BlueDuck_
actually the point is why start in the first place - no one born in the last 20 years can plead ignorance. It sure as hell isn't a nice experience when you first try it. So the onl answer is there's still a perception amongst people that smoking is cool or smoking will make people like me. So that's why thread like this are important. So people can know there's enough people out there that think smoking is stupid and disgusting and won't be bullied by pathetic arguments that smokers continue to pose such as adults should be allowed to make adult decisions - which directly translates to smoking makes you more adult.
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts

Fine, I concede, I give up.

Smoking is the healthiest thing in the world for you, there's nothing wrong with it, what was I thinking hating on such a noble cause?

lol you don't need to state the obvious. Do you think smokers don't know what they're doing to their bodies? It's written on the freaking pack!
DrCoCoPiMp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 DrCoCoPiMp
Member since 2005 • 4088 Posts

We all lie to ourselves. Smokers are not an exception

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

It sure as hell isn't a nice experience when you first try it.jasperrussell

That's not true at all. It may not have been a nice experience for YOU, but tobacco gets people high. A hell of a lot of people absolutely like it the first time they try it.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 nintendo-4life

DrCoCoPiMp
most smokers don't lie to themselves, they are simply willing to pay the price.
Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#76 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
All those things are true, but it doesn't really change a thing. There will always be smokers. If you really care you should get more proactive about it.
CoreyNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 CoreyNT
Member since 2008 • 593 Posts

[QUOTE="wildjango64"][QUOTE="avatar_genius"]

You insinuated that what I said was "obvious."

If it's so "obvious" then why do people do it.

If the concept is that simple to understand, people should not have a problem understanding it.

This is what baffles me.

it's addicting perhaps???

True.

The nicotene inside a cigarette triggers the brain to crave it.

People who smoke should just muscle up and become stronger than that impulse.

L.O.L.

How about you go and get addicted to smoking and try and "muscle up?"

DrCoCoPiMp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 DrCoCoPiMp
[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"][QUOTE="DrCoCoPiMp"]

Smokers believe they need nicotine. Theyre lying to themselves, and they know it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5985f1128b98f
deactivated-5985f1128b98f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-5985f1128b98f
Member since 2007 • 1914 Posts

I smoke so I can pay the taxes. I see it as my civic duty now. Obama jacked the fed tax up from 39 cents a pack to $1 a pack so he can pay for poor kids health insurance. How can I stop now that I know Obama and the poor kids are counting on me?

Here is what I want from all you holier-than-thou non-smoking zealots out there: Work to make smoking illegal. I'm sick of being taxed so heavily for my habit, then being treated like a social outcast. I'd rather be giving my money to Vinny the mobster than to the govt. I figure at least Vinny will show me some respect for being a good customer.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 theone86

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

2) They enjoy it

jasperrussell

actually the point is why start in the first place - no one born in the last 20 years can plead ignorance. It sure as hell isn't a nice experience when you first try it. So the onl answer is there's still a perception amongst people that smoking is cool or smoking will make people like me. So that's why thread like this are important. So people can know there's enough people out there that think smoking is stupid and disgusting and won't be bullied by pathetic arguments that smokers continue to pose such as adults should be allowed to make adult decisions - which directly translates to smoking makes you more adult.

Why do anything? Why drive a car when you're polluting the environment and putting your life at risk? Why go outside when you risk contracting mellanoma? Why eat unhealthy foods when it can put you at risk for a number of health problems, including colon cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and more?

As for smoking being cool, I don't get that perception. Maybe it's still viewed as rebellious, but the only thing that would change that is to remove the negative stigma surrounding it, not try to increase it. I know it definitely didn't seem as prevalent when I was going to school as my parents make it seem when they were, and it seems even less prevalent in high schoolers since I left. There are no TV ads, cigarette companies can't sponsor events like the Winston Cup, they're less prevalent in TV and movies than ever before, and smoking is prohibited in most public places in cities across the world. What more could you possibly want, how much more can they do to make smoking seem uncool? It seems to me that it's not enough for smoking to be curbed, you NEED it to be stopped outright, you must have everyone else in the world thinking exactly like you because, well, that's the only logical way to think, right?

As for the last part, are you saying adults shouldn't be allowed to make adult decisions? Also, we consider people of age to buy cigarettes responsible enough to make that decision. Whether they are or not is not society's problem, it's their problem and the people who are rasing them. If they can't make complex decisions on their own by the time they are expected to, is it somehow society's problem? No, it's theirs.

DrCoCoPiMp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 DrCoCoPiMp
[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="jasperrussell"][QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

2) They enjoy it

Why do anything? Why drive a car when you're polluting the environment and putting your life at risk? Why go outside when you risk contracting mellanoma? Why eat unhealthy foods when it can put you at risk for a number of health problems, including colon cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and more?

As for smoking being cool, I don't get that perception. Maybe it's still viewed as rebellious, but the only thing that would change that is to remove the negative stigma surrounding it, not try to increase it. I know it definitely didn't seem as prevalent when I was going to school as my parents make it seem when they were, and it seems even less prevalent in high schoolers since I left. There are no TV ads, cigarette companies can't sponsor events like the Winston Cup, they're less prevalent in TV and movies than ever before, and smoking is prohibited in most public places in cities across the world. What more could you possibly want, how much more can they do to make smoking seem uncool? It seems to me that it's not enough for smoking to be curbed, you NEED it to be stopped outright, you must have everyone else in the world thinking exactly like you because, well, that's the only logical way to think, right?

As for the last part, are you saying adults shouldn't be allowed to make adult decisions? Also, we consider people of age to buy cigarettes responsible enough to make that decision. Whether they are or not is not society's problem, it's their problem and the people who are rasing them. If they can't make complex decisions on their own by the time they are expected to, is it somehow society's problem? No, it's theirs.

Your problems as an individual influences the problems of your society
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 nintendo-4life
[QUOTE="DrCoCoPiMp"][QUOTE="nintendo-4life"][QUOTE="DrCoCoPiMp"]

Smokers believe they need nicotine. Theyre lying to themselves, and they know it.

no... they're addicted to it.
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

Not picking up the cigarette is easy as well, just don't do it.

Just don't buy cigarettes at the gas station.

Just don't light one up.

Just don't do it.

Problem solved.

Wow.....

It's addicting dude. You don't know what it's like if you're not a smoker. I've actually been trying really hard to quit and so far I've gone 20 days without smoking.

Chargeagles1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85 Chargeagles1
Member since 2006 • 1711 Posts

I think that I don't get what some non-smokers' obsessive compulsion is to tell smokers how bad smoking is for them. Do you really think people can't see all that for themselves, or do you just like making self-righteous speeches that boost your own self-esteem? Why concern yourself with things that don't affect you?

theone86

But it does affect me. I am an asthmatic and when the air is filled with smoke it triggers an asthma attack. For many people with asthma, being around smokers is life threatening.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#86 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

I smoke, and have for nearly 20 years. I enjoy it, a cigarette is good company when you want to do something without really doing anything.

I don't smoke in other peoples houses unless they invite me too, I don't smoke in public places without going outside. But if someone is in my home and starts ragging on me about smoking, I'll show them to the door.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#87 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

A very similar argument could be made for alcohol...spazzx625
Think John Wayne said, 'I never trust a man who doesn't drink'. This is the one thing I agree with John Wayne, but that's something for another topic, this ones about smoking, from which I have nothing to say.

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

Why don't you keep it to yourself? It's not going to change someone elses opinion who enjoys smoking.
Same can be said for alcohol.

Avatar image for deadly_shuriken
deadly_shuriken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deadly_shuriken
Member since 2009 • 1086 Posts

Just don't light one up.

Just don't do it.

Problem solved.

Dude that is very ignorant for you to say....when people are addicted it is far from easy to just say no, dont do it....if youve never been addicted to anything you wouldnt know...

On the other hand, i do agree that it is the persons fault for trying it in the first place, but everyone makes mistakes right?? I would actually put most of the blame on the cigarette companies for their marketing tactics, the advertisements, the buy one get one free deals they have....all this contributes even more to smoking and increases the chances of being addicted for life...

All this is coming from a smoker for 8 years who recently just quit (about 2 weeks now)

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
the smell is just awful.not the cigarette smell alone,but also the smell of the smoker.he has this smell,i just dont know how to describe it.smoking is scary,and i would like BS if someone i care about is a smoker.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#91 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

My mother died from lung cancer, most likely from smoking cigarettes for 40 years. But, even seeing this happen to her own mother, my sister is following in her foot steps...she smokes continuously from waking up in the morning to going to bed at night. She gets VERY mean when you try to confront her with her problem. I will never tell her, " i told you so", but i believe its already too late for her.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

[QUOTE="spazzx625"]A very similar argument could be made for alcohol...Evil_Saluki

Think John Wayne said, 'I never trust a man who doesn't drink'. This is the one thing I agree with John Wayne, but that's something for another topic, this ones about smoking, from which I have nothing to say.

and exactly,who is john wayne to take his word...i trust the man who drinks for i know his liver will rot and i can inherit him sooner
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

I think that I don't get what some non-smokers' obsessive compulsion is to tell smokers how bad smoking is for them. Do you really think people can't see all that for themselves, or do you just like making self-righteous speeches that boost your own self-esteem? Why concern yourself with things that don't affect you?

Chargeagles1

But it does affect me. I am an asthmatic and when the air is filled with smoke it triggers an asthma attack. For many people with asthma, being around smokers is life threatening.

When someone pulls out a cig around you, you ask them not to light it up because you might die. You sit in non-smoking sections, you go to non-smoking bars, you stay away from smokers, is that really so hard? Oh, but no, everyone everywhere absolutely has to stop smoking on theoff-chance that you or someone like you might meander into their general area while they're doing so, even though you can plainly see that they're smoking and you know that if you do meander into that area you are putting yourself at risk, not the other way around.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#94 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

Just don't light one up.

Just don't do it.

Problem solved.

How old are you?
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 theone86

My mother died from lung cancer, most likely from smoking cigarettes for 40 years. But, even seeing this happen to her own mother, my sister is following in her foot steps...she smokes continuously from waking up in the morning to going to bed at night. She gets VERY mean when you try to confront her with her problem. I will never tell her, " i told you so", but i believe its already too late for her.

Videodogg

Wouldn't watching someone die from lung cancer be a deterrant? Seriously, though, this is where personal responsibility comes in. She knows it's not good for her, she has people trying to get her to quit, but she keeps smoking anyways. It's a perfect example of how you just can't control other people's choices. Is it sad that people die from lung cancer? Yes, but they do so of their own volition. No one's saying smoking is good for you, but to personalize the problem and by effect the responsibility is simply ridiculous. There are some choices people make that have to be made by them alone. You may not like the choice or the consequence, but in the end it's not your choice. If someone chooses not to smoke that's fine, and that is making a personal choice.No one's trying to argue that choice is a bad thing or that the person making it doesn't have the right to make it. It seems to me, though, that's exactly what is happening from the people on the other side of this argument.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 nintendo-4life

Videodogg
I'm sorry to hear your mom passed away. But how many cigs was she smoking per day?
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#97 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts
[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"][QUOTE="Videodogg"]

I'm sorry to hear your mom passed away. But how many cigs was she smoking per day?

I never counted, she just always seemed to have one lit no matter what time of day it was.
Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts

my theory, i only live once. so if i like something then ill do it, like hell if im letting somebody tell me what to do.

darkguy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 darkguy_101
Member since 2008 • 744 Posts

I like smoking

It will kill me? Maybe i don't care.

And i'm not quitting because you are making a thread where the only thing you do is whine on smokers.

Avatar image for deadly_shuriken
deadly_shuriken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 deadly_shuriken
Member since 2009 • 1086 Posts
Also FYI, there are alot of people that smoke all their lives and never get lung cancer.... and on the other hand there are a ton of people that get lung cancer that never smoked in their lives...my boss's dad never smoked in his life and somehow got lung cancer... sure it might increase the risk of lung cancer if you smoke, but it doesnt really mean you will get it for sure