Help sort out my Computer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Void_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Void_
Member since 2011 • 31 Posts

Well I know this is a thing that most people wont want to post on but i really need help regarding my computer and more specifically my internet. What has happened is my dad (who a massive computer nerd) has managed to put blocks onmy laptop and I already worked out how to get past them but he has found a way of making them more difficult to get past. What i ned to know is is it possible for me to get past these blocks permanently and if it is possible to remove myself from our homegroup in our house so I am an independent machine instead of having to abide by the stupid rules of my dad. If anyone has a possible solution please post it here in as much detain as possible because I am not bad at using a computer but I still haven't played with all the settings there is to use. If you can answer my question hopefully this thread will help other people who have the same problem of a dad who is a control freak and want to stop me from using websites like Facebook and all of that.

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts

click how can i remove a computer from a home group.

The_Void_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_Void_
Ok so removing myself from the homegroup wont help. How do i remove myself from the network so that he cant screw with my settings?
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

You should really be asking for computer help in the computer forum we have here.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

You can turn off Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing under the Network and Sharing Center. But i dont think thats going to do much.

As long as you are connected to the same router, you will be a part of the same network. Having said that, no one can change settings like that in your computer unless they know your password (and your father most likely doesn't) or has installed some kind of filtering software (possible, but a real tech geek wouldn't bother installing something so easily bypassed). The "trick" to doing so is to block and change settings *on the actual router itself.*

Since you need to be connected to the router in order to be able to use the internet, it ends up becoming the common point. The only ways to get around that is to use the internet without using the router - such as directly connecting yourself to the modem, but then you remove everyone else off the internet and is rather obvious.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Ok so removing myself from the homegroup wont help. How do i remove myself from the network so that he cant screw with my settings?The_Void_

Not sure. Do you have admin rights? If not, you're screwed. Even if you did and you removed your computer from the network, he can lock you out of the router altogether if he finds out.

The_Void_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Void_
i do have admin rights on my own laptop so i can adjust all the settings on that but i just cant use the internet properly
The_Void_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Void_

You can turn off Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing under the Network and Sharing Center. But i dont think thats going to do much.

As long as you are connected to the same router, you will be a part of the same network. Having said that, no one can change settings like that in your computer unless they know your password (and your father most likely doesn't) or has installed some kind of filtering software (possible, but a real tech geek wouldn't bother installing something so easily bypassed). The "trick" to doing so is to block and change settings *on the actual router itself.*

Since you need to be connected to the router in order to be able to use the internet, it ends up becoming the common point. The only ways to get around that is to use the internet without using the router - such as directly connecting yourself to the modem, but then you remove everyone else off the internet and is rather obvious.

XaosII
He has installed openDNS on his laptop and that blocks everything on our network. i did get past it by changing the DNS address but he has found a way to stop me from changing the DNS address to anything else other than the original address. I think he does know my password also and i have changed it a couple of times but he still knows it. could you tell me how to connect myself directly to the modem because i could at least use that when no-one else is on the internet.
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
Do you have your PS1 memory card inserted properly?
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

The_Void_

He has installed openDNS on his laptop and that blocks everything on our network. i did get past it by changing the DNS address but he has found a way to stop me from changing the DNS address to anything else other than the original address. I think he does know my password also and i have changed it a couple of times but he still knows it. could you tell me how to connect myself directly to the modem because i could at least use that when no-one else is on the internet.

Take the other end of the RJ-45 cable (the LAN cable between the broadband modem and router), diconnect one end from the router and connect it to your laptop.

Edit:

The above is for cable broadband. If it's like my uncle's DSL, you'll need login and password as well.

The_Void_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Void_

There are only two cables coming out of the router one of them is the power cable i tried to plug in the other cable to my laptop but the internet didn't work. The other problem is that the box is in a difficult place so that i might not be able to use it very often.