HBO to start cable free streaming service in 2015

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

As some of you might know there was the HBO app that required a convoluted registration approach through your telecom provider to access shows on the PC and app supporting hardware like the Xbox and PlayStation consoles. People have been saying for a while HBO needed a stand alone streaming service like Netflix, and HBO has finally heeded the call.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2014/10/15/hbo-is-launching-a-stand-alone-streaming-service-in-2015/

Starting sometime in 2015 HBO will have a streaming service much like Netflix. I'm not aware if they've announced any kind of pricing structure for service. But hey, if it's comparable to Netflix and Hulu's pricing then I think it can be quite popular.

I'm especially excited because I think HBO will cause a domino effect with other premium cable channels like Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, Encore. Plus, who knows, maybe we'll finally see digital cable alternatives really take off in bundling services together at a discount price to combat the pricier cable.

I've a feeling though cable providers won't take this lightly, we'll probably see throttled access to services like HBO just like telecoms did for Netflix to twist their arm into paying them for uninterrupted streaming. Hopefully that leads to legal battles that benefit consumers.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

My professor talked about this for a bit during class. I really wonder if this will change much for HBO since I heard their shows get pirated heavily all the time. Nonetheless, I hope this does well for them. Knowing how much money they invest in their shows and how much quality they put, they definitely deserve it.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

CBS too.

A la carte is coming.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lamprey263

@behardy24 said:

My professor talked about this for a bit during class. I really wonder if this will change much for HBO since I heard their shows get pirated heavily all the time. Nonetheless, I hope this does well for them. Knowing how much money they invest in their shows and how much quality they put, they definitely deserve it.

I don't think it's the cost of HBO that alienates a lot of people, I think it's the cost of having cable on top of the cost of the premium movie channels. Hopefully by cutting out the cable costs things like this will cause people to jump ship on cable all together. Especially, if like I said about a potential domino effect, other premium cable services come up with their own streaming alternatives.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

Won't work. People's wallets are already hurting. I am NOT paying for more services. Internet, Hulu Plus, Netflix, gamefly, xbox live, psn plus, wwe network......Nope!

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I've had HBO for like 8 years.... I never could figure out how to get HBO GO.

I tried twice... and it just straight up denied me.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lamprey263

@Nengo_Flow said:

I've had HBO for like 8 years.... I never could figure out how to get HBO GO.

I tried twice... and it just straight up denied me.

yeah, I too couldn't get it to work, the Showtime streaming service also took some time to figure out but at least that one worked

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts

@Nengo_Flow: you jus gotta sign in to your sable/satellite provider and then sign to hbo go its pretty simple i got it activated on pc,2 ps3s,ps4, smart tv, tablet and phone

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I'd be shocked if it was under $20/month. They make too much money from deals with cable companies to undercut that revenue stream.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Isn't it redundant for every broadcasting company, TV network and/or cable provider to set up their own streaming service? Why not make deals with already existing Internet-streaming service providers like Netflix or Hulu? If this catches on people will be subscribing to multiple services to be able to watch their shows.

On a different note, I'm not a big HBO fan, too much nudity it corrodes the enjoyment.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

I'd be shocked if it was under $20/month. They make too much money from deals with cable companies to undercut that revenue stream.

According to CNET it'd be around 15$/month. Maybe they're just trying to build a substantial customer base for the service to get it up and running then they will gradually increase the price. Or maybe it actually suffices to justify the whole venture.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@GazaAli said:

@Aljosa23 said:

According to CNET it'd be around 15$/month. Maybe they're just trying to build a substantial customer base for the service to get it up and running then they will gradually increase the price. Or maybe it actually suffices to justify the whole venture.

Those are just rumours so I won't believe anything until HBO themselves confirm. $15/month makes sense if it's based on Amazon Prime's service of just offering select shows from the HBO backlog but for an actual stand alone HBO GO that airs current shows? $15/month is pure fantasy. Unless they completely want to cut away from cable companies (they wouldn't) I don't see it happening. I'd wager closer to $25/month.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

If it's priced fair (which it currently isn't) then maybe I'd actually use HBO.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@rogelio22 said:

@Nengo_Flow: you jus gotta sign in to your sable/satellite provider and then sign to hbo go its pretty simple i got it activated on pc,2 ps3s,ps4, smart tv, tablet and phone

Its alright tho.. I only tune in to HBO for BOXING. I dont watch movies much at all, and im not into any of HBO's original series.

IDK if HBO GO has and archive of Boxing fights (highly doubt it), but I find all the boxing fights from all time periods and from other networks on youtube anyways.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lamprey263

@Aljosa23 said:

@GazaAli said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Those are just rumours so I won't believe anything until HBO themselves confirm. $15/month makes sense if it's based on Amazon Prime's service of just offering select shows from the HBO backlog but for an actual stand alone HBO GO that airs current shows? $15/month is pure fantasy. Unless they completely want to cut away from cable companies (they wouldn't) I don't see it happening. I'd wager closer to $25/month.

I honestly don't see this taking off as big as it should unless it were more around $10/month. The HBO subscription price varies per cable provider but it's between $15-20/month for non-discount service, so even the cheapest rate offered by cable providers is creating markup for their own profits. I can see it working at a $10/month price for digital streaming. $25/month though would be excessive, not even cable providers charge that much and they're the ones that nickle and dime people to death. At most I don't see it working for anything above $15/month, and I really don't see them charging that much as again that's what cable companies make their patrons pay to get HBO, not what HBO demands, so I'd expect it to be less.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Too much. Needs to be lower.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@lamprey263 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@GazaAli said:

@Aljosa23 said:

I honestly don't see this taking off as big as it should unless it were more around $10/month. The HBO subscription price varies per cable provider but it's between $15-20/month for non-discount service, so even the cheapest rate offered by cable providers is creating markup for their own profits. I can see it working at a $10/month price for digital streaming. $25/month though would be excessive, not even cable providers charge that much and they're the ones that nickle and dime people to death. At most I don't see it working for anything above $15/month, and I really don't see them charging that much as again that's what cable companies make their patrons pay to get HBO, not what HBO demands, so I'd expect it to be less.

To be honest, it doesn't even need to take off or become popular. HBO makes too much money from cutting deals with cable providers and that's easily their main source of revenue. Offering HBO GO only for a higher price is a nice way to make some extra cash on the side.

I'm not sure where I read it but I remember reading if HBO cut out their cable stuff they would need to charge something like $70/month for their own subscription service to match what cable providers pay them.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lamprey263

@Aljosa23 said:

To be honest, it doesn't even need to take off or become popular. HBO makes too much money from cutting deals with cable providers and that's easily their main source of revenue. Offering HBO GO only for a higher price is a nice way to make some extra cash on the side.

I'm not sure where I read it but I remember reading if HBO cut out their cable stuff they would need to charge something like $70/month for their own subscription service to match what cable providers pay them.

that's pretty ridiculous if true, that'd mean that HBO subscriptions subsidized by everyone else getting cable even if they don't have an HBO subscription... call me skeptical, then again if that were true that's just evil

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

As others have mentioned, they aren't going to undercut the price point that cable companies provide. Would be shooting themselves in the foot. Also we don't know the scope of what the service would provide.

Plus there's the issue of setting up and running the necessary infrastructure to provide the service without cable companies.

So HBO will have some increased costs coming their way.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

The $70/month thing seems really really dubious. Like the numbers seem way way off.

Can you find the article that says that, aljosa?