Have you ever struggled with depression?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trinitarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Trinitarian
Member since 2007 • 1407 Posts

I've been diagnosed with bipolar for almost 10 years. I have had several extremely serious manic events that caused me to lose my family and everything I own. I had a break for 2 years but in the last 8 months had the worse case of mania yet which caused me to almost die on several occasions. I'm finally over the mania stage but now I'm on the other side of the pole. I'm in the worse state of depression I've ever been in. I have lost interest in everything and I'm motivated to do absolutely nothing. I've lost hope. At the age of 34 I'm back at ground zero in life. Can anyone relate?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

I've battled manic depression in the past, but usually more the depressive state. You should watch 'Stephen Fry: The Secret Life of a Manic Depression'.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

No, not really, but my wife has battled depression and anxiety and I empathize with you. It's a terrible disease.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

I was pretty sad at the end of Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Sometimes. I live a pretty nice life, but I get lonely and down on myself occasionally. I've always been like that.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#6 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

No.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

No. Depression and anxiety is there, but I'm definitely not struggling with them...

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

Yes, for maybe 14 years now, to some degree. It was worst between the ages of 14-18.

At this point I'm not sure if I've stopped being constantly depressed or if I'm just so used to being in a perpetually glum state that it's become my new normal, like how people who've lost an arm eventually stop reaching for things with their stumps.

CrossFire245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 CrossFire245
Member since 2007 • 1085 Posts

I was depressed this past year of college. I have friends and whatnot, but there were some other things that were just weighing me down. I was seeing a counselor in the university's counseling services bi-weekly for a long time. Luckily, I have some very supportive friends who, with the help of the counselor, were able to help me shake it and resume living a happy life.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

I was once depressed ... .... because people around me are like communist.

They dont want me to be free ..... from family to co-worker.... and these people never give me a chance to feel independant.

Although I have been to every continent except for alaska .... they always hunt me down.

then I found a solution .....I shut them off ..... and choose who I should be with and I should not.

Now I'm doing ok.

and if I start to get manic .... I look at the flowers and start counting backward

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

Yes, it will be something I have for the rest of my life. I grew up isolated and unable to communicate with people well the majority of the time and as an adult it has only worsened my depression permanently and I never made improvement, only the opposite from the very beginning. Me no being able to communicate with others most likely won't change and no one will have a solution for me as there isn't one. Once I get back into video gaming more, my depression may ease as I go back to doing something I enjoy, much more than now. I will try to stay healthy, but I will always have obstacles with my depression and I will probably never be healthy mental health wise.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@XilePrincess said:

Yes, for maybe 14 years now, to some degree. It was worst between the ages of 14-18.

At this point I'm not sure if I've stopped being constantly depressed or if I'm just so used to being in a perpetually glum state that it's become my new normal, like how people who've lost an arm eventually stop reaching for things with their stumps.

Sounds like 'walking depression' which is essentially my state when I don't have any up or down moments.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Yes, I got sick some 5 years ago and completely freaked out.

Started with crazy bad panic and eventually turned into depression. Worst year I ever had and people who have never had it will never understand that it's not something you can control.

Anyway, you will be ok. You might have ups and downs but life will eventually pick back up. Know that you're not alone. :)

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

@Trinitarian said:

I've been diagnosed with bipolar for almost 10 years. I have had several extremely serious manic events that caused me to lose my family and everything I own. I had a break for 2 years but in the last 8 months had the worse case of mania yet which caused me to almost die on several occasions. I'm finally over the mania stage but now I'm on the other side of the pole. I'm in the worse state of depression I've ever been in. I have lost interest in everything and I'm motivated to do absolutely nothing. I've lost hope. At the age of 34 I'm back at ground zero in life. Can anyone relate?

Yup I'm 31 and have been depressed for the last few years or so. It's taking a toll on me, I'm trying to go back to school and accomplish some goals I have been meaning to do and see if that helps but I don't know. I had a chance with a good girl but I blew it and lost all desires to better myself after she left. Will see how this next year will go.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

No,not really.

I am just a lazy,lonely,selfish,cynical prick who doesn't care about anyone or anything and hates everything and everyone.....and i like it.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#16  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

No,not really.

I am just a lazy,lonely,selfish,cynical prick who doesn't care about anyone or anything and hates everything and everyone.....and i like it.

lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Yeah in some extend. I suffer from dysthymia due to another illness I've got, so I pretty much always have some symptom of depression, it is not all that pleasent.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

I've been a miserable bastard for 10 years, life fucking sucks.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Depression hurts, Cymbalta can help.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I do but I have made peace with it. I might or might not have some things coming up in the horizon but if it doesn't work then that will be that. It is what it is.

maptheninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By maptheninja
Member since 2009 • 633 Posts

@hippiesanta said:

I was once depressed ... .... because people around me are like communist.

They dont want me to be free ..... from family to co-worker.... and these people never give me a chance to feel independant.

Although I have been to every continent except for alaska .... they always hunt me down.

then I found a solution .....I shut them off ..... and choose who I should be with and I should not.

Now I'm doing ok.

and if I start to get manic .... I look at the flowers and start counting backward

Alaska is a state, I think the word you're looking for is Antarctica.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@xdude85 said:

I've been a miserable bastard for 10 years, life fucking sucks.

Lesson no.1 - Stop listening to Grunge. :P

@Motokid6 said:

Every time I get real depressed I litsen to this.

Loading Video...

No matter how depressed I get. No matter what happens. All my friends and loved ones could be wiped out.. yet knowing how frivolous and tiny these problems are.. pushes me to go on. To strive to simply witness or if I can.. experience what's out there. As Segan says in this video. Astronomy is an amazing character building hobby. The knowledge that comes with it is enlightening and inspiring.

And the fact that we get to live our lives in this vast universe is the most incredible privilege of them all.

I actually have to agree with you. I take great joy and pleasure from reflection upon my insignificance. Its so easy as a functioning member of human society to forget your just an animal with a pulse, existing for a blink of an eye.

My friend wrote a song once called drink whisky, eat pussy and die. An equally enigmatic philosophy haha.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Yes

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#27 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Depression suffers with me.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#28 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Nope, not really. I had a hard upbringing, but that never kept me down

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

Very mild depression in my early 20s, but it was more a product of a transition period in life to any chemical imbalance. Mostly because I lived alone in new city, worked a weird night shift, and didn't know anyone my own age.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

I think everyone on earth has been depressed at one point or another in their life. Some people just deal with it better. When I'm feeling depressed a good workout usually gets the endorphins going again. Its all chemicals at the end of the day, there are many ways to trigger them.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

Kinda, I wasn't happy in my relationship and home life, I wasn't happy with my body (I considered myself to be tall and skinny) and lacked confidence, and I wasn't happy in my job, so I guess you can call that depression I used to self medicate by smoking weed and playing video games everyday which I don't reccomend(I developed paranoia and anxiety attacks) one day after a bad panic attack I thought **** this, so I gave up weed started doing weights met a new girl and got a new job(not all in the same day of course) now I'm a lot happier in my life. During this whole bad time I never went to a doctor for the depression or even the panic attacks which felt more like heart attacks.