Have you ditched cable and satellite for Internet TV?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TacticaI (984 posts) -

I'm considering ''cutting the cord'', but does anyone have experience they can share on this? I'm only familiar with Netflix and new to Hulu+, but is that all you need? I'm currently watching videos/reading into these Roku devices. What are your opinions?

#2 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

Yup. I dont know all the options, I watch so little tv that netflix and the occasional season on dvd for a couple shows not on netflix is good enough for me.

#3 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

I went without cable for about two months and honestly, the only thing I missed was the news.

#4 Posted by certifieddata (46060 posts) -

I haven't watched tv in eight months and don't miss any of it. I just watch the occasional episode on netflix when I feel like it.

#5 Posted by lostrib (44557 posts) -

Yes, via netflix...among other things

#6 Posted by solidruss (23889 posts) -

Cord cutter for over 2 years. I supplement with Netflix Hulu Plus and Amazon prime

#7 Posted by ptflea1 (122 posts) -

there is bugger all on regular tele and when there is i miss it. therefore i only see stuff on catchup and netflix. if it was up to me i wouldn't bother with a tv license, the whole thing seems outdated anyway, i look forward to a future where on demand is the main service for entertainment

#8 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

Comcast doesn't allow you to buy high speed internet solely in my city so can't....

#9 Edited by solidruss (23889 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

Comcast doesn't allow you to buy high speed internet solely in my city so can't....

Wow that would really piss me off, especially with how expensive getting even basic cable is getting

#10 Posted by paul7dxb (25 posts) -

A lot of the people I know only keep their subscriptions running so they can watch live sports. If it wasn't for that I am sure they would also "cut the cord"

#11 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17910 posts) -

Heck no. Besides live sports and PPV, I depend a lot on the local news especially when it comes to road conditions in winter time. Sometimes, the weather would be so bad only the few over the air broadcasts get through.

#12 Edited by thegerg (16405 posts) -

no

#13 Posted by Jimn_tonic (913 posts) -

Haven't watched TV in years. I can't stay committed to a series, even the ones I like.

#14 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
@solidruss said:

@Fightingfan said:

Wow that would really piss me off, especially with how expensive getting even basic cable is getting

It's not too bad. I have high speed, cable, HBO, house alarm, Starz, and on demand for like $139 a month.

#15 Edited by solidruss (23889 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:
@solidruss said:

@Fightingfan said:

It's not too bad. I have high speed, cable, HBO, house alarm, Starz, and on demand for like $139 a month.

Well as long as you're okay with it, I couldn't stand paying that much a month :P

#16 Posted by dodgerblue13 (20845 posts) -

I have Hulu Plus and a PS3. With any new sitcoms I want to watch that aren't provided on the channel's website, I just wait. I couldn't survive without NFL Red Zone and NBA League Pass, but omitting a cable bill for those bills is definitely worth it.

#17 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@solidruss said:

@Fightingfan said:
@solidruss said:

@Fightingfan said:

Well as long as you're okay with it, I couldn't stand paying that much a month :P

Yeah, it's lame - gonna have to start a revolution against Comcast!

#18 Posted by GamingTitan (634 posts) -

I have Directv and Roku. I use both equally.

there are still plenty of things that Directv offers that Roku/Internet tv does not.

#19 Posted by DaX_Factor (167 posts) -

I cut the cord over a year ago and I must admit I can watch all the shows I want to watch on the internet but if you're into sports, that is were you are going to take a hit.

#20 Posted by violian (1431 posts) -

We get free over-the-air HDTV (~35 channels including Fox Sports) where I live so we don't have to worry about paying for expensive cable or watching internet tv.

#21 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14686 posts) -

The only reason I haven't ditched cable is because HBO still has some great shows for the time being.

#22 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13654 posts) -

It's rare that I sit down long enough to watch anything, so I can't justify paying for TV service when my TV can go weeks without being turned on.

The 19 channels I get over-the-air are more than enough, and they're free.

#23 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:
@solidruss said:

@Fightingfan said:

that's good actually. i pay $160 a month for cable + internet but i also have a dvr. i have time warner cable.

#24 Posted by Stranger_36 (505 posts) -

No.

#25 Posted by helwa1988 (2134 posts) -

Still got cable. I'm still old school.

#26 Posted by kitty (115065 posts) -

I seldom watch tv to begin with so nope. :P

#27 Posted by playmynutz (6407 posts) -

Yes, I have no TV and life literally feels different. I do watch netflix like once a day

#28 Posted by ad1x2 (5872 posts) -

My wife watches Filipino movies and there aren't any good alternatives on the internet outside of a few clips on Youtube. Also, I watch WWE and I would rather watch it live than wait for the repeats on Hulu.

Another issue is in my neighborhood the fastest internet (Cox) has a data cap and the second fastest is unlimited but maxes out around 3mbps.

#29 Posted by Slade968 (25 posts) -

If it wasn't for sports, I would definitely cut the cord. I prefer netflix and generally watch movies anyway

#30 Posted by CyberLips (1827 posts) -

I've given up on TV all together. I only watch YouTube videos and watch movies and TV shows online.

#31 Edited by Kurezan (1850 posts) -

No I still use Cable. Never could get into the internet TV thing.

#32 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28382 posts) -

@Hallenbeck77 said:

The only reason I haven't ditched cable is because HBO still has some great shows for the time being.

I'm waiting for the day they offer a standalone service. I know it's never going to happen, but one can hope.

#34 Posted by Transfer_Point (95 posts) -

@helwa1988 said:

If you are "old school," so is a over whelming majority of the country. Most people still subscribe to cable, satellite, or the like. The so called cord cutting phenomenon is exaggerated by the media and message boards.

#35 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8624 posts) -

I tried to but with bandwidth usage caps it didn't work well or save me any money.

#36 Edited by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

Canada still needs better options - both with ISPs and services - before I can completely ditch TV.

So while I haven't fully ditched TV, I've stopped watching a lot of it and look for other options when I want to watch something.

#37 Posted by TacticaI (984 posts) -

@Transfer_Point said:

@helwa1988 said:

If you are "old school," so is a over whelming majority of the country. Most people still subscribe to cable, satellite, or the like. The so called cord cutting phenomenon is exaggerated by the media and message boards.

I hadn't heard about it up until yesterday. Somebody happen to mention it on an article about the Xbox One on some tech website and it caught my attention. Anyway, HBO is the only thing holding me back, but I see there's been news of them trying to figure out how to get from under the need for a cable provider to give the people HBO GO.

#38 Posted by Serraph105 (28763 posts) -

Ever since moving out of my parents place I have never had cable so I can't say I have ditched something that I never personally paid for, but I do go without it. I still watch everything I want through various sources so there is that, but yeah I do miss just flipping through the channels to see whats on the tube. That being said I still don't want to pay $100+ a month.

#39 Edited by Serraph105 (28763 posts) -

I don't know if I'm allowed to say this, but I am a big fan of project free tv.

#40 Posted by Jd1680a (5956 posts) -

I've been television free for two and half years and haven't looked back since. Most of my entertainment comes from playing video games and I could watch television shows and movies on my PC without paying a cable plan.

#41 Edited by Kats_RK (2080 posts) -

Haven't had cable TV in over a year.

#42 Posted by DieselCat18 (2961 posts) -

@roulettethedog:

@roulettethedog said:

I upgraded because of a new deal with cable. For $107 including taxes and fees, I get HBO,a bunch of sports channels, plus High speed Internet.

We recently moved and my comcast bill dropped from 180/mo to 112/mo with high speed internet, cable TV (HBO,Starz, Showtime and Video on Demand) + unlimited phone service for my land line. Still when paying in excess of 100/mo for cable services that's still a lot and I look forward to when I can combine all these for much less without the use of cable companies.

btw...the new GS site blows chunks...... :(

#43 Posted by Serraph105 (28763 posts) -

@Jd1680a said:

I've been television free for two and half years and haven't looked back since. Most of my entertainment comes from playing video games and I could watch television shows and movies on my PC without paying a cable plan.

I don't know if I agree with the assessment of being "television free" just because you watch tv shows on a computer screen as opposed to a television screen. To me if you are tv free it's because you don't watch the shows that are on television.

#44 Edited by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

I worked briefly as a DirecTV salesman (one of those dudes you might have seen in a Best Buy or Sam's Club, hanging out by the TVs, selling DirecTV subscriptions). During my training, my manager and the other salesmen spent hours talking about all the details that make DirecTV the best option for TV service. They were passionate about it, and that passion shined through to the customers, and we sold loads of subscriptions all day, every day. When I asked, at one of our morning meetings, "so, do you guys have DirecTV?", everybody burst out laughing, and my manager said, "hell no. I have internet. People who pay for TV are suckers".

Which is exactly what I had already been saying, myself, for like 5+ years.

#45 Edited by ferrari2001 (17427 posts) -

I still have cable for special channels like HBO and sports programming. Everything else I can get just as easy online.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#46 Posted by Serraph105 (28763 posts) -

@the_bi99man said:

I worked briefly as a DirecTV salesman (one of those dudes you might have seen in a Best Buy or Sam's Club, hanging out by the TVs, selling DirecTV subscriptions). During my training, my manager and the other salesmen spent hours talking about all the details that make DirecTV the best option for TV service. They were passionate about it, and that passion shined through to the customers, and we sold loads of subscriptions all day, every day. When I asked, at one of our morning meetings, "so, do you guys have DirecTV?", everybody burst out laughing, and my manager said, "hell no. I have internet. People who pay for TV are suckers".

Which is exactly what I had already been saying, myself, for like 5+ years.

I require a like button gamespot.

#47 Edited by BranKetra (50392 posts) -

I still like television.

#48 Posted by TAMKFan (33060 posts) -

I still have cable. I don't watch TV very often though, but the other people in my house do a lot.

#49 Posted by sukraj (24425 posts) -

I hardly watch tv.

#50 Posted by Dogswithguns (10984 posts) -

Been almost 3 years without cable TV or satellite.. Netflixing good enough for me.. and I have a TV local box to watch free with 14 channels but not using it anymore.