Guys be aware of policy change

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
http://www.gamespot.com/news/important-update-to-the-gamespot-community-code-of-conduct-6414922 starting today anyone with moderating powers on the site will enforce our existing guidelines (and continue to do so once new ones are in place) in the following way. First offense: User will receive a warning. Second offense: Seven-day suspension from the site. Third offense: Permanent Ban from GameSpot For the sake of clarity, this will include forums, comment sections, and blogs. The ban will be imposed to those that violate our guidelines within a span of 60 days of each offense. If no further incidents occur within the 60 day period, the user will be cycled back to good standing all is right in the world. For most of you, the only effect of these changes should be a noticeable improvement in the quality of conversation across the site. On the other hand some of you might see this as an unrealistic request and to those individual Id like to remind them that there are plenty of vestibules in the online space that would welcome your closed minded views. How many closed minded OT vets will be taken away from us? What will the new new tou hold?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts
So nothing specific about what constitutes the new ToU...or didn't it change. I'm so confused...(
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

So nothing specific about what constitutes the new ToU...or didn't it change. I'm so confused...(LJS9502_basic
It only applies to hate speech. One warning. One temporary ban. One perma-ban. 3 strikes and you're out.

Seems pretty fair and reasonable, so long as they don't start playing fast and loose with what qualifies as 'hate speech.' I'm guessing it's in response to the GTA 5 review which, while really dumb, was not an excuse to launch into personal attacks on the reviewer's life choices.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]Seems pretty fair and reasonable, so long as they don't start playing fast and loose with what qualifies as 'hate speech.' I'm guessing it's in response to the GTA 5 review which, while really dumb, was not an excuse to launch into personal attacks on the reviewer's life choices.

Kind of feel that if you get that emotional over someone's review.....you need to seek some professional help. It's just games man....
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

It almost sounds like that they are reinstituting the old ToU.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ninja-Hippo
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]Seems pretty fair and reasonable, so long as they don't start playing fast and loose with what qualifies as 'hate speech.' I'm guessing it's in response to the GTA 5 review which, while really dumb, was not an excuse to launch into personal attacks on the reviewer's life choices.

Kind of feel that if you get that emotional over someone's review.....you need to seek some professional help. It's just games man....

Yeah, but videogames in particularly seem to attract very angry people. Same with movies. I can never imagine myself ever being compelled to insult a person's gender or sexual orientation because they reviewed a game in a manner I disagree with, or to disagree with a casting decision to the point of setting up and signing an online petition. Nerds have temper problems.
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

No.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dave123321

WhiteKnight77
One can only hope.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

dave123321
One can only hope.

I didn't think you liked the old ToU dave...
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ninja-Hippo
[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

dave123321
One can only hope.

Nah the old one was way too sensitive, people got banned left right and centre for very little. It was easily possible to get moderated even if you were one of the more subdued, easy-going people on the board. One time someone made a thread asking why religion threads never get locked and I posted that Jesus was a moderator here and he allows open discussions. I was suspended for offensively implying that Jesus would be a forum moderator. But they went too far throwing out 99% of the rules altogether. They needed a balance. If you want all out chaos, we all know where you can go.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dave123321
[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

LJS9502_basic
One can only hope.

I didn't think you liked the old ToU dave...

the overly strict enforcement and interpretations were an issue, yes
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Lipscomb
[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

Ninja-Hippo
One can only hope.

Nah the old one was way too sensitive, people got banned left right and centre for very little. It was easily possible to get moderated even if you were one of the more subdued, easy-going people on the board. One time someone made a thread asking why religion threads never get locked and I posted that Jesus was a moderator here and he allows open discussions. I was suspended for offensively implying that Jesus would be a forum moderator. But they went too far throwing out 99% of the rules altogether. They needed a balance. If you want all out chaos, we all know where you can go.

Honestly, we should start logically moderating people. One person makes a hicup, who cares. Some guy or girls who keeps pushing it, then suspend him/her.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dave123321
We need a more aware moderation policy
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Lipscomb

We need a more aware moderation policy dave123321
I honestly see nothing wrong other than the late night kitchen cabinet spammers. The comment sections could use cleaning up though.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ninja-Hippo

Some of my old ToU moderations:

"This is clearly just meant to troll you guys, stop biting." - moderated because accusing someone of trolling was interpreted as trolling, under the rules.

"It's a really obvious alt account, don't respond to trolls." - same as above, guess I forgot the first time

*Name of a website* is the most offensive website I've ever come across* Me: "I'm going to google it.... will I regret this?" - moderated for quoting someone who talked about a website which some may find offensive

*I'm not impressed* "Much like every other poster in this thread with a PSN sig... >_>" - moderated for offensively implying that a playstation user didn't like an xbox game due to their sig

Top lols :lol: 

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Lipscomb

"This is clearly just meant to troll you guys, stop biting." - moderated because accusing someone of trolling was interpreted as trolling, under the rules.

"It's a really obvious alt account, don't respond to trolls." - same as above, guess I forgot the first time

*Name of a website* is the most offensive website I've ever come across* Me: "I'm going to google it.... will I regret this?" - moderated for quoting someone who talked about a website which some may find offensive

*I'm not impressed* "Much like every other poster in this thread with a PSN sig... >_>" - moderated for offensively implying that a playstation user didn't like an xbox game due to their sig

Ninja-Hippo
What.. I hope this isn't returning, or I'm going to get banned fast.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ninja-Hippo
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]

The_Lipscomb

There were some utterly baffling rules that you could only ever find out by getting moderated. For instance, accusing someone of trolling or being a troll would *always* get you moderated for trolling yourself, even if their trolling was obvious. You just weren't allowed to say so. It was also a blanket-rule that you're not allowed to tell anyone why they got moderated; someone PM'd me asking why they got modded (the post they were moderated for was talking to me). I PM'd him back and explained that his post implied that he was more intelligent than me, which could be interpreted as him insulting me, and you're not allowed to insult people here. I got modded for the message. :lol: Though it eventually got reversed.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dave123321

Ninja-Hippo
lol
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
TC you do realize that saying anyone that disagrees is close minded, makes you close minded?
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dave123321
TC you do realize that saying anyone that disagrees is close minded, makes you close minded?Capitan_Kid
Poster do you realize that I only said the last two questions?
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Lipscomb

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]TC you do realize that saying anyone that disagrees is close minded, makes you close minded?dave123321

Why do people start arguing in every thread. Or trys to fuel an argument anyways :|

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Capitan_Kid
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]TC you do realize that saying anyone that disagrees is close minded, makes you close minded?dave123321

No I didnt. Quotations make these problems of miscomnunication disappear. :) I apologize for the attack
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dave123321

[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]TC you do realize that saying anyone that disagrees is close minded, makes you close minded?The_Lipscomb

Why do people start arguing in every thread. Or trys to fuel an argument anyways :|

No one is arguing
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dave123321
[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]TC you do realize that saying anyone that disagrees is close minded, makes you close minded?Capitan_Kid

No I didnt. Quotations make these problems of miscomnunication disappear. :) I apologize for the attack

No need to apologize, understandable mistake that was my fault
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
It's just for hate speech? They shouldn't tolerate that anyway.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic

lol
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]So nothing specific about what constitutes the new ToU...or didn't it change. I'm so confused...(Ninja-Hippo

It only applies to hate speech. One warning. One temporary ban. One perma-ban. 3 strikes and you're out.

Seems pretty fair and reasonable, so long as they don't start playing fast and loose with what qualifies as 'hate speech.' I'm guessing it's in response to the GTA 5 review which, while really dumb, was not an excuse to launch into personal attacks on the reviewer's life choices.

Yeah, I saw some of that from The Feedbackula. While I'm not going to take sides on the topic of the reviewer's life choices, I will say that while you don't have to agree, some of the things they said were....pretty sick.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Capitan_Kid
I have no problem with the rule and if anything it should be stricter. Just ban any asshole making hate speech. The comments made toward Carolyn were sickening.
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Lipscomb
[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"]

[QUOTE="dave123321"] Poster do you realize that I only said the last two questions?dave123321

No one is arguing

Sure lol
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
I hope http://s4.zetaboards.com/The_Daily_Happening/forum/3128480/ does not incorporate this policy into their administration practices. I do not expect them to, fortunately, because the admins there were laughing about it earlier.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I suppose my choice words for OPs will have to be kept for the most egregious offenses against humanity.

I hope http://s4.zetaboards.com/The_Daily_Happening/forum/3128480/ does not incorporate this policy into their administration practices. I do not expect them to, fortunately, because the admins there were laughing about it earlier.Laihendi

They would never.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 coolbeans90

Man, this sucks.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Capitan_Kid

I suppose my choice words for OPs will have to be kept for the most egregious offenses against humanity.

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I hope http://s4.zetaboards.com/The_Daily_Happening/forum/3128480/ does not incorporate this policy into their administration practices. I do not expect them to, fortunately, because the admins there were laughing about it earlier.coolbeans90

They would never.

But on the bright side, it adds a whole new layer of meaning when you finally say it.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I hope http://s4.zetaboards.com/The_Daily_Happening/forum/3128480/ does not incorporate this policy into their administration practices. I do not expect them to, fortunately, because the admins there were laughing about it earlier.Capitan_Kid

They would never.

But on the bright side, it adds a whole new layer of meaning when you finally say it.

True, it'll have more weight.

Also, this (hopefully) will usher in more TDH-style trolling that disappeared during the prior ToU revisions.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]

The_Lipscomb

I'm assuming my days are numbered as well. Should I find a new board now?
Avatar image for jerk-o-tron2000
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jerk-o-tron2000
Member since 2007 • 10036 Posts

Really tempted to just **** off and let this place go to the shitter..........................................

Seriously, it's not like this place is even remotwly interesting anymore....................................

Avatar image for jerk-o-tron2000
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jerk-o-tron2000
Member since 2007 • 10036 Posts

Ninja-Hippo

I remember that thread................Good times.................

Believe I also got modded for a smartass remark in that thread.............................

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
so we are back to the old Nazi-Mod days of GS? great, I probably wont last very long.
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nengo_Flow
We need a more aware moderation policy dave123321
no we dont. OT is fine. SW on the other hand... IDK why the let the trolls go on for so long wven tho the mods themselves hate some users they know are trolling 24/7
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
[QUOTE="dave123321"]We need a more aware moderation policy Nengo_Flow
no we dont. OT is fine. SW on the other hand... IDK why the let the trolls go on for so long wven tho the mods themselves hate some users they know are trolling 24/7

No, OT is not fine. I'm glad we have this policy now. Hate speech shouldn't be tolerated; end of discussion.
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Nengo_Flow
[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"][QUOTE="dave123321"]We need a more aware moderation policy ShadowsDemon

No, OT is not fine. I'm glad we have this policy now. Hate speech shouldn't be tolerated; end of discussion.

I havent really seen hate speech around here. The reason they want to have stricter rules is not cuz of the forums, its becuz of the reaction/comments people have been posting in some of the reviews of games and in some of the news shows GS has.
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#42 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

There just need to be a good balance between strictness and leniency. This current ToU hasn't been a very good balance.

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Yo-SUP
Member since 2013 • 357 Posts

Op is confusing. So the 3 strike system starts now?

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#44 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

It works for California, why not here?

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

All bad things must come to an end. 

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Ninja-Hippo

*Sigh* I got modded/suspended so many times for doing something similar to this....

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"] no we dont. OT is fine. SW on the other hand... IDK why the let the trolls go on for so long wven tho the mods themselves hate some users they know are trolling 24/7Nengo_Flow

I havent really seen hate speech around here. The reason they want to have stricter rules is not cuz of the forums, its becuz of the reaction/comments people have been posting in some of the reviews of games and in some of the news shows GS has.

The previous tou had major flaws with.it.That is all I am going to say.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]So nothing specific about what constitutes the new ToU...or didn't it change. I'm so confused...(Ninja-Hippo

Huh? The game got 9.0, last I checked that's a pretty good score.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#49 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
I go *fart* will I get banned?
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts

You don't even have to personally attack anyone - all you have to do is state your beliefs on gender and sex identity - if they don't link up with Gamespot's moderators, it's hate speech. Moderators pretty much do their job entirely on their own discretion anyways - the ToS doesn't really matter if they can decide anything on their own discretion, now does it?