Grammar: Do you say "my family is coming to town" or "my family a

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Memberino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Memberino
Member since 2004 • 2253 Posts

With words like family/audience/army/group/public, do you use the plural form of the verb or the singular form?
Its acceptable to say both but which do you prefer?

Would you say
The crowd was noisy/The crowd were noisy
The general public is stupid/The general public are stupid
The army is recruiting in town/The army are recruiting in town

?

Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts

My family is coming to town because it sounds correct :?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

"My family IS coming to town". Family is a singular word. Families would be "are".

CammiTac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CammiTac
Member since 2011 • 1179 Posts

This is why I hate English grammar. It seems entirely too unnecessarily complicated.

Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ultimas_Blade
Member since 2004 • 3671 Posts

I use 'is'. Family/Army/etc specify ONE group so use of'is' is appropriate.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
Both are right. The singular is probably more conventional for talking about the group as a whole, whereas the plural is more often used when we're thinking about the various individuals, if that distinction makes sense.
Memberino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Memberino

This is why I hate English grammar. It seems entirely too unnecessarily complicated.

CammiTac
Nothing compared to German, *shudders*
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
"I have family coming to town." There, I avoided that grammar situation.
kussese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 kussese
Member since 2008 • 1555 Posts

"My family IS coming to town". Family is a singular word. Families would be "are".

Pirate700
This is my take on the matter as well.
Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ultimas_Blade

Both are right. The singular is probably more conventional for talking about the group as a whole, whereas the plural is more often used when we're thinking about the various individuals, if that distinction makes sense. jimmyjammer69

No, if we are talking about standard written Englishand not dialects then no. Your construction of the sentence dictates the word you use.If you construct the sentence:

Members of my family are coming to town. -Use of 'are' is correct in this sentence becuase of the plural 'members'.

My familyiscoming to town. -Use of 'is' is correct because of the singular 'family'.

They are not interchangeable if we are discussing standard written English.

Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ultimas_Blade

"I have family coming to town." There, I avoided that grammar situation.Lockedge

LMAO :D

grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 grape_of_wrath
Member since 2009 • 3756 Posts

[QUOTE="CammiTac"]

Memberino

Nothing compared to German, *shudders*

English is, by far, the easiest language I was taught in(out of 3).

Also- the most useful and my personal favourite.

Anyway- I use 'is'.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58353 Posts

[QUOTE="Lockedge"]"I have family coming to town." There, I avoided that grammar situation.Ultimas_Blade

LMAO :D

ahhhhh English, you miserable, lonely *****

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Both are right. The singular is probably more conventional for talking about the group as a whole, whereas the plural is more often used when we're thinking about the various individuals, if that distinction makes sense. Ultimas_Blade

No, if we are talking about standard written Englishand not dialects then no. Your construction of the sentence dictates the word you use.If you construct the sentence:

Members of my family are coming to town. -Use of 'are' is correct in this sentence becuase of the plural 'members'.

My familyiscoming to town. -Use of 'is' is correct because of the singular 'family'.

Yes, they are. My family is coming to town/my family are coming to town are both ok. It's the same way with many other collective nouns, such as the team, the cabinet, the audience etc. In the first sentence, family doesn't act as the subject of the verb "come"; "members" does, and, hence, only the plural form of the auxiliarly verb is acceptable.

Memberino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Memberino
Yeah, they're interchangeable, I was just wondering what would people's preferences be.
Badmutha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Badmutha
Member since 2002 • 1096 Posts

In this situation "family" being regarded as a single entity it would be "is".

Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ultimas_Blade

[QUOTE="Ultimas_Blade"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Both are right. The singular is probably more conventional for talking about the group as a whole, whereas the plural is more often used when we're thinking about the various individuals, if that distinction makes sense. jimmyjammer69

Yes, they are. My family is coming to town/my family are coming to town are both ok. It's the same way with many other collective nouns, such as the team, the cabinet, the audience etc. In the first sentence, family doesn't act as the subject of the verb "come"; "members" does, and, hence, only the plural form of the auxiliarly verb is acceptable.

Yes, that's why I highlighted it (members). I wanted to exemplify a case where 'are' was appropriate. The collective noun 'family' is singular. Just like the word 'jury'. You never hear 'the jury are debating', but 'members of the jury are' or 'the jurors are'.

You have a source that determines the interchangeability of is/are for collective nouns?

Memberino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Memberino

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

[QUOTE="Ultimas_Blade"]

Ultimas_Blade

Yes, that's why I highlighted it (members). I wanted to exemplify a case where'are' was appropriate.The collective noun 'family' is singular. Just like the word 'jury'. You never hear 'the jury are debating', but 'members of the jury are' or 'the jurors are'. You have a source that determines that interchangeability of is/are for collective nouns?

I don't need a source, I teach English as a foreign language and have a qualification in it. I know they are interchangeable,hell, just searching for "family are" in quotes in google will show you its common enough.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

[QUOTE="Ultimas_Blade"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Both are right. The singular is probably more conventional for talking about the group as a whole, whereas the plural is more often used when we're thinking about the various individuals, if that distinction makes sense. jimmyjammer69

In the case the TC provided "Family" would be a singular noun so "is" would be used.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

I would say, " my family's coming to town."

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

I don't really care what is proper or inproper.

I just use what sounds good and in this case it would be "My family is coming to town"

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

[QUOTE="Ultimas_Blade"]

HoolaHoopMan

In the case the TC provided "Family" would be a singular noun so "is" would be used.

Dont we say "the police are..."?

Isnt "police" a singular noun?

Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ultimas_Blade

[QUOTE="Ultimas_Blade"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Yes, they are. My family is coming to town/my family are coming to town are both ok. It's the same way with many other collective nouns, such as the team, the cabinet, the audience etc. In the first sentence, family doesn't act as the subject of the verb "come"; "members" does, and, hence, only the plural form of the auxiliarly verb is acceptable.

Memberino

Yes, that's why I highlighted it (members). I wanted to exemplify a case where'are' was appropriate.The collective noun 'family' is singular. Just like the word 'jury'. You never hear 'the jury are debating', but 'members of the jury are' or 'the jurors are'. You have a source that determines that interchangeability of is/are for collective nouns?

I don't need a source, I teach English as a foreign language and have a qualification in it. I know they are interchangeable,hell, just searching for "family are" in quotes in google will show you its common enough.

Yeah, 'google' is a great source :| So what if it is common? My statement was on STANDARD WRITTEN ENGLISH. Dialects are another thing, but if you break the rule for one word it breaks it for all. You can speak like that all day and it wouldn't bother me, but if you are writing an essay you're telling me that you'd let a search engine like google decide how you write your sentences?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Yes, they are. My family is coming to town/my family are coming to town are both ok. It's the same way with many other collective nouns, such as the team, the cabinet, the audience etc. In the first sentence, family doesn't act as the subject of the verb "come"; "members" does, and, hence, only the plural form of the auxiliarly verb is acceptable.

Teenaged

I honestly couldn't tell you. In that case "the Police are coming" is correct though. "My family are coming" doesn't sound right at all.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Yes, they are. My family is coming to town/my family are coming to town are both ok. It's the same way with many other collective nouns, such as the team, the cabinet, the audience etc. In the first sentence, family doesn't act as the subject of the verb "come"; "members" does, and, hence, only the plural form of the auxiliarly verb is acceptable.

Teenaged

Yes, police is an exception. It's thrown in there to confuse foreigners. Apparently it failed this time.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

[QUOTE="Ultimas_Blade"]

HoolaHoopMan

You're right. I'm not very good at explaining these things. I meant the example above, where he used "members".
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Family is a single group, so the correct way would be family is. Same thing holds true for any collective group, like a company.

Memberino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Memberino
Generally, British English uses plural, but a lot of British people would use singular. The American/British English rules generally aren't hard and fast when it comes to common usage.
Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ultimas_Blade

Teenaged

That's a good question. If you are talking about a single officer capturing a felon or whatever, 'policeman' is usually the wordused. IMO I think that 'police' wouldn't be used with 'is' because it is an outright plural word. When talking about them in the singular people don't use 'police' but 'policeman' or 'police officer'.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Teenaged

Yes, police is an exception. It's thrown in there to confuse foreigners. Apparently it failed this time.jimmyjammer69
*is a foreigner*

*overgeneralised the exception as a rule*

*is confused that it isnt a rule in the slightest*

"it failed this time"

What? :P

That's a good question. If you are talking about a single officer capturing a felon or whatever, 'policeman' is usual used. IMO I think that 'police' wouldn't be used with 'is' because it is an outright plural word. When talking about them in the singular people don't use 'police' but 'policeman' or 'police officer'.

Ultimas_Blade

Why is it an outright plural word? The only thing that indicates its characteristic of plural is the knowledge we have that the police cosists of many people; and that knowledge isnt exclusive to English (obviously, since this isnt about the specific language). But there are languages (Greek) whose noun for "police" is singular (denoted as such with an appropriate suffix) and every time it is used with the third singular person of any verb.

Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 Fundai
Member since 2010 • 6120 Posts

My family is coming to town.

Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ultimas_Blade

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Yes, police is an exception. It's thrown in there to confuse foreigners. Apparently it failed this time.Teenaged

*is a foreigner*

*overgeneralised the exception as a rule*

*is confused that it isnt a rule in the slightest*

"it failed this time"

What? :P

That's a good question. If you are talking about a single officer capturing a felon or whatever, 'policeman' is usual used. IMO I think that 'police' wouldn't be used with 'is' because it is an outright plural word. When talking about them in the singular people don't use 'police' but 'policeman' or 'police officer'.

Ultimas_Blade

Why is it an outright plural word? The only thing that indicates its characteristic of plural is the knowledge we have that the police cosists of many people; and that knowledge isnt exclusive to English (obviously, since this isnt about the specific language). But there are languages (Greek) whose noun for "police" is singular (denoted as such with an appropriate suffix) and every time it is used with the third singular person of any verb.

Don't mean to stop you in the middle of your thought, but I thought this was about the specifics of English use of are or is with the noun family. You change the discussion if we aren't exclusively discussing English.

But on subject though, police is never used as a singular in standard written English (as far as I know, if there are examples otherwise please cite). In spoken English, 'police is' isprobably saidall the time in some dialects.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Teenaged

Don't mean to stop you in the middle of your thought, but I thought this was about the specifics of English use of are or is with the noun family. You change the discussion if we aren't exclusively discussing English.

But on subject though, police is never used as a singular in standard written English (as far as I know, if there are examples otherwise please cite). In spoken English, 'police is' isprobably saidall the time in some dialects.

Ultimas_Blade

I explained why I brought up examples of other languages and why it is valid to do so.

You said that police is clearly a plural word. Why? I assume because we know the police as an "entity" consists of many people, correct? Is that knowledge exlcusive to the English language?

Obviously not. This doesnt even deal with specific languages. Its simply how we perceive the word and what it refers to.

So since there are languages who do not perceive the word that way but rather as a singular entity (which of course still consists of many people), the above criterion (that it consists of many people) isnt something that tells us that the word "police" is definitely plural, especially since there is no formative to denote it.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts

Pirate700
a dun dun what a strange thread btw
Memberino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Memberino
Ultimas_blade just needs to accept that both the singular and plural can be used with collective nouns. Apparently he can't be bothered to just google it and see that he's been way too strict on the grammar, saying this way is right and this way is wrong.
ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#36 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

My family on coming to town. Eh?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Teenaged

Ultimas_blade just needs to accept that both the singular and plural can be used with collective nouns. Apparently he can't be bothered to just google it and see that he's been way too strict on the grammar, saying this way is right and this way is wrong.Memberino
Personally, all collective nouns sound better with "is" but maybe thats because in my language all collective nouns are singular and go with singular persons of whatever verb they are the argument of.

Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ultimas_Blade

Ultimas_blade just needs to accept that both the singular and plural can be used with collective nouns. Apparently he can't be bothered to just google it and see that he's been way too strict on the grammar, saying this way is right and this way is wrong.Memberino

I just need to accept it? I keep making the distinction that I'm against interchangeability if it is being written, however if it is being spoken I have NO ISSUES with it. That's all.

Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ultimas_Blade

[QUOTE="Ultimas_Blade"]

Teenaged

I explained why I brought up examples of other languages and why it is valid to do so.

You said that police is clearly a plural word. Why? I assume because we know the police as an "entity" consists of many people, correct? Is that knowledge exlcusive to the English language?

Obviously not. This doesnt even deal with specific languages. Its simply how we perceive the word and what it refers to.

So since there are languages who do not perceive the word that way but rather as a singular entity (which of course still consists of many people), the above criterion (that it consists of many people) isnt something that tells us that the word "police" is definitely plural, especially since there is no formative to denote it.

My knowledge of languages other than English and Spanish (and my Spanish isn't all that :P)is not up to par so at any rate we'll agree to disagree. I would like a specific source ofan English-use of the word 'police' in a singular context though if you knew of one.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Both are right. The singular is probably more conventional for talking about the group as a whole, whereas the plural is more often used when we're thinking about the various individuals, if that distinction makes sense. Ultimas_Blade

yeah, that sounds right to me.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

With words like family/audience/army/group/public, do you use the plural form of the verb or the singular form?
Its acceptable to say both but which do you prefer?

Would you say
The crowd was noisy/The crowd were noisy
The general public is stupid/The general public are stupid
The army is recruiting in town/The army are recruiting in town

?

Memberino

For the first one, it depends upon whether or not the noise of the audience is factual. If the sentence started with if, then you would have use were. Crowd is a singular thing. The crowd was noisy would be correct. If you indicated particular people within the crowd, then the second way would be correct. The general public is a single thing. If you said, "People within the general public," then are would be correct. The army is a single thing. If you said, "Soldiers in the army," then are would be correct.

MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts

I'm pretty sure Are is incorrect. Sounds it at least

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

Pirate700
what if your families are coming to town?
TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

English is easy compared to my language.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
To interject in the 'family' and 'police' debate, we ought to make the distinguish the two by realising that the common person recognises the concept 'family' as possessing singular and plural forms due to the fact that they are aware of their family but additionally the existence of many other families seperate from their own. Conversely, when we speak of 'police' we recognise this as simply one entity i.e. the national police force. For example, a man who has lived in Spain all his life, would not make the remark 'The Spanish police are incompetent' he would merely the 'The police are incompetent'. This distinction means that people in general when speaking of police fail to conform to regular singular/plural conventions.
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts

[QUOTE="Ultimas_Blade"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Yes, they are. My family is coming to town/my family are coming to town are both ok. It's the same way with many other collective nouns, such as the team, the cabinet, the audience etc. In the first sentence, family doesn't act as the subject of the verb "come"; "members" does, and, hence, only the plural form of the auxiliarly verb is acceptable.

Memberino

Memberino is correct. Collective nouns can be either singular or plural. The choice depends on the meaning that one intends to convey. Here, most people would probably mean to use the word in its singular sense, because there's no indication that the family members are acting independently. Rather, the whole group as a single unit is acting. It's relatively rare to see a collective noun take a plural form, partially because many people find it difficult to determine when that would be appropriate.

Ironically, the textbook example that I remember is, as follows: "The jury are deliberating." The collective noun "jury" is plural because the sentence speaks of the jurors acting as multiple individuals interacting with each other. But you could also speak of the jury ina singular sense, if the jury acts as a single unit, e.g. "the jury is going to lunch." At any rate, because the cardinal rule of writing is simplicity, it may be better to simply use "jurors" when one means the plural, and "jury" when one intends the singular. Too many readers or listeners might find the collective plural jarring.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Ultimas_Blade
That is correct
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="Ultimas_Blade"]

That is correct

the correct answers were given by Memberino
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
How did this get to three pages? It's "My family is coming to town" because "My family" is a singular group. You'd use the plural "are" for "Our families are coming to town."