Go for what you love, or in a sense, the easy money??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gaming4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Gaming4_Life
Member since 2007 • 775 Posts

I'm just looking for opinions. Nothing more. Don't judge me for what I am or what I want in life just give your 2cents. :)

A little backround on me first. I'm 17 years old. I've just finished HighSchool and I'm also just entering the work place. I've had a strong interest in Computers/Computer Gaming and Cars ever since I was old enough to know what they were. I've built and worked on various computers and owned several as well. Same with cars. I have a 05 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi and I have a project car with my grandpa. A 79 Spitfire Triumph w/small block 350. I've always gamed too. I used to game on consoles until I got into PC Gaming and that was pretty much the end of that. :P

Here is the problem....as you can see I love both of my hobbies if you will. I want to make a career out of one. I went back and forth for like 3 years. One week I'm saying to myself "I'm going to be a Programmer" and next week I was telling everyone "I'm going to be an auto mechanic". Seriously now is the time to make that decision. :lol: I have a few opinions on both of them from people in that certain industry. For me, what I want in life....is to have a lively hood. I want to make decent money, but also be happy. I want benefits and I want a good retirment plan just like the next guy would. One I would hate to get into something that I'm questioning if its even going to be here in 5-10 years. Yes I'm talking about cars. Who knows with cars going way electrical and computerized. Don't even get me started with the gas thing. Soon we'll have to have electric cars. The only thing I find about computers disturbing is that, they are all based around math.  Meaning all the programs that will get you decent jobs are math intensive. I'm not saying I'm dumb, but math was never my strong point in school thats for sure. I'd hate to drop 60K on a tuition (UAT and Full Sail a few schools I was looking at) and drop out because the math was to intense and I get screwed with 60K in loans and no career or job.

I don't know its just more overwhelming than anything. I guess, just anything you have to add on what I'm thinking about right now. My parents aren't much help right now. Of course they say "Well support whatever you decide to do" Thanks mom and dad big help. :roll: My dad says I won't succeed in the workplace today with a college edu. of some sort so computers was his pick. My mom thinks the math is to intensive and I would fail in the end. Suggestions/Comments are much appreciated. Thanks- Mark :-)

Gaming4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Gaming4_Life
bump already made it to the 3rd page :P
andyxm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 andyxm
Member since 2006 • 6194 Posts
go for easy money, i think i'd learn to love easy money. ^_^
Gaming4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gaming4_Life
go for easy money, i think i'd learn to love easy money. ^_^andyxm
It would help alot if you read my post...
User10293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 User10293
Member since 2004 • 600 Posts
Why don't you get a good paying job that you know you'll be good at and then spend your spare time(and extra money) on your hobbies?
ayanami_rei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ayanami_rei
Member since 2005 • 17115 Posts
I really wish I could hlep you and tell you the type of maths that are in college, but I'm only a sophmore in high school, so I couldn't really tell you. If I could and if maths in colleges weren't as intense as you say, I would say go with the computer programming, but since I'm only a sophmore in high school, I cannot say much, for my opinion would be flawed and not important.
Gaming4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gaming4_Life
Why don't you get a good paying job that you know you'll be good at and then spend your spare time(and extra money) on your hobbies?User10293
There's flaws to what I want to do. Who knows where cars will be in 5,10,20 years from now. Who know where mechanics will be. I know people in the auot industry making millions, a few and there there's people just making a very good living for the average human. 70K-100K a year. It took them half there life to get there though. I don't think computers are going anywhere because tech. is the future, but it's just a matter of what course t take and how math intensive it is. I looked into Computer Networking at UAT and you have to go through calculas 1,2,3 and thats not even the half of it.