#global warming is nothing to worry about

This topic is locked from further discussion.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

On a scale of 0-5, rate your level of care regarding the Earth warming up in temperature and the consequences of that increase in temperature. Five is maximum level of care and Zero is zero.

----

Zero: If you believe in evolution then it should be clear that global warming is not a threat to humankind. Life will find a way.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

#Bad Poster

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

5. I hope I live long enough to be able to say "We told you stupid bastards so."

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 4myAmuzumament

@br0kenrabbit said:

5. I hope I live long enough to be able to say "We told you stupid bastards so."

told them what?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I care enough to want to see some drastic change (Scania just revealed a new tractor that can achieve 10.3 mpg with a 40 tonne load, that is crazy good), but I do not believe that the Earth's mean temperature rising would mean the end of all life on Earth (as some cataclysmic alarmists would have us believe). The dinosaurs lived through a much warmer period and thrived in it.

There is already noticeable effects of the increased mean temperature and it really isn't all that great (we just went through the worst winter here since the 19th century).

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 4myAmuzumament

people will adapt to warmer temperatures and the affects of it. it will be a gradual enough change for us to beat it before it beats us.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 br0kenrabbit

@4myAmuzumament said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

told them what?

That shit was going to hit the fan.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 4myAmuzumament

@br0kenrabbit said:

@4myAmuzumament said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

told them what?

That shit was going to hit the fan.

I don't think shit hitting the fan is enough to call them stupid bastards, after all, they were right not to worry about naturally occurring events. That makes them a little smart.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 br0kenrabbit

@4myAmuzumament said:

people will adapt to warmer temperatures and the affects of it. it will be a gradual enough change for us to beat it before it beats us.

You do realize the most dramatic effects of global warming are going to originate from the oceans, right? There's no adjusting to the shutting down of the thermohaline circulation due to the influx of melt water, or the acidification of the oceans which disrupt photosynthetic organisms. These organisms produce most of the atmospheres oxygen.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@4myAmuzumament said:

I don't think shit hitting the fan is enough to call them stupid bastards, after all, they were right not to worry about naturally occurring events. That makes them a little smart.

Uneducated =/= smart. Far from it. I bet you had to Google thermohaline circulation from my above post, didn't you? Admit it.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 4myAmuzumament

i didn't google it at all :)

If the oceans go crazy, then people will move further inland. simple as that.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 br0kenrabbit

@4myAmuzumament said:

i didn't google it at all :)

If the oceans go crazy, then people will move further inland. simple as that.

My post had nothing to do with rising ocean levels/hurricanes/whatever. But thanks for proving you are not educated enough on the subject to have a valid opinion, so I'll just leave it there.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 4myAmuzumament

you're one to talk about education. thermohaline circulation shutting down isn't going to end humanity (referring to you saying "there's no adjusting to the shutting down of the thermohaline circulation due to the influx of melt water, or the acidification of the oceans which disrupt photosynthetic organisms.").

That isn't even close to true. Adjustments always can be made, that's how life got to where it is today, we just haven't had to encounter them and adapt around them.

:roll:

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@4myAmuzumament said:

you're one to talk about education. thermohaline circulation shutting down isn't going to end humanity (referring to you saying "there's no adjusting to the shutting down of the thermohaline circulation due to the influx of melt water, or the acidification of the oceans which disrupt photosynthetic organisms." to it).

That isn't even close to true. Adjustments always can be made, that's how life got to where it is today, we just haven't had to encounter them and adapt around them.

:roll:

What the **** are you even talking about? No one claims that Global Warming is going to extinct humanity; that's not even part of the argument.

If Western Europe cools to the climate of central Canada (same latitude, only difference: the gulf stream which is part of the thermohaline circulation) there's going to be plenty of social disruption.

War and social upheaval over resources is the concern, not human extinction. But thanks again for stating your ignorance on the subject. I'm not here to educate you, but you're free to wallow in your ignorance as deep and long as you like. Have fun.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 4myAmuzumament

@br0kenrabbit: you don't get it. war and social upheaval have nothing to do with the earth warming up. those will happen regardless of the climate...

Global warming isn't going to cause those things. There is no evidence for it. Stop jumping to conclusions and getting people worried over nature taking it's course.

the question in the OP asked how worried should you be about global warming... why are you looking forward to the day you can say "I told you so!" Seems pretty sadistic if you ask me.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@4myAmuzumament said:

@br0kenrabbit: you don't get it. war and social upheaval have nothing to do with the earth warming up. those will happen regardless of the climate...

Global warming isn't going to cause those things. There is no evidence for it. Stop jumping to conclusions and getting people worried over nature taking it's course.

the question in the OP asked how worried should you be about global warming... why are you looking forward to the day you can say "I told you so!" Seems pretty sadistic if you ask me.

Look up 'Younger Dryas' and educated yourself on what has and will happen if the Gulf Stream shuts down.

And it's going to happen because people such as yourself have formed your opinion without knowing what the **** you're talking about. It's going to happen regardless of my voice or reaction. And when it does, I willtake gratification in saying "Told you so, dumbass."

Why people can't hold their tongue until they've educated themselves on something is a human trait I'll never understand.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 4myAmuzumament

@br0kenrabbit said:

@4myAmuzumament said:

Look up 'Younger Dryas' and educated yourself on what has and will happen if the Gulf Stream shuts down.

And it's going to happen because people such as yourself have formed your opinion without knowing what the **** you're talking about. It's going to happen regardless of my voice or reaction. And when it does, I willtake gratification in saying "Told you so, dumbass."

Why people can't hold their tongue until they've educated themselves on something is a human trait I'll never understand.

so what if it happens? a few less people on earth (and honestly, who knows, there could be more people because of it)... I don't see what the big deal is. No need to worry about such things in 2014.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 br0kenrabbit

@4myAmuzumament said:

so what if it happens? a few less people on earth (and honestly, who knows, there could be more people because of it)... I don't see what the big deal is. No need to worry about such things in 2014.

And you were calling me sadistic? Let's add hypocrite to your list of personality traits, right alongside uninformed and naive.

Why are people so opposed to increasing their learned knowledge in lieu of ignorance? Is it just too much work?

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 4myAmuzumament

I'm just accepting that nature is going to take its course and loss of human life is a part of that, I don't find joy in knowing that like you would, though. No miniscule thing we try to do is going to stop the climate changing as it has been since the beginning. How do you not see this?

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

4. It's not a 5 because at least I don't live in New York City or Miami where my house could be potentially flooded in about 20 years or so from rising ocean levels.

Also on the note of global warming, I'm going to kill someone if I hear another person say that global warming isn't real because of record snowfall or whatever. That argument is a logical fallacy. Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's not true. Am I the only person who saw An Inconvenient Truth!?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@4myAmuzumament said:

I'm just accepting that nature is going to take it's course and loss of human life is a part of that, I don't find joy in knowing that like you would, though. No miniscule thing we try to do is going to stop the climate changing as it has been since the beginning. How do you not see this?

Climate Change is natural but there's always a cause. Comet impacts, volcanic upheaval, changes in the biosphere, etc. There's no natural cause for the current shift in climate, and Occam's Razor therefore says the cause must be unnatural. There's no excuse to exacerbate the issue when there are ways to avoid such.

It's like not wearing a seat belt because 'accidents happen': It's stupid and shortsighted.

You state "how do you not see this" but you don't even know the basics of climatology, as shown above. How, therefore, can you see anything?

It's like people who claim evolution isn't true but can't even tell you the very basics behind genetics. They have no ground to stand on other than their own ignorance.

Would you trust a person with no medical knowledge to give you a bypass operation? Why not? Then why would you trust ignorance on any subject?

Stop being a dolt and use the brain you have; it's there for a very good reason.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

not controllable by humans /5

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 4myAmuzumament

@br0kenrabbit said:

@4myAmuzumament said:

I'm just accepting that nature is going to take it's course and loss of human life is a part of that, I don't find joy in knowing that like you would, though. No miniscule thing we try to do is going to stop the climate changing as it has been since the beginning. How do you not see this?

Climate Change is natural but there's always a cause. Comet impacts, volcanic upheaval, changes in the biosphere, etc. There's no natural cause for the current shift in climate, and Occam's Razor therefore says the cause must be unnatural. There's no excuse to exacerbate the issue when there are ways to avoid such.

It's like not wearing a seat belt because 'accidents happen': It's stupid and shortsighted.

You state "how do you not see this" but you don't even know the basics of climatology, as shown above. How, therefore, can you see anything?

It's like people who claim evolution isn't true but can't even tell you the very basics behind genetics. They have no ground to stand on other than their own ignorance.

Would you trust a person with no medical knowledge to give you a bypass operation? Why not? Then why would you trust ignorance on any subject?

Stop being a dolt and use the brain you have; it's there for a very good reason.

Exacerbating the issue could lead to the development of new technologies to cope with it, you know that right? You're seeing it as an issue in 2014 when it's an issue you shouldn't worry about. @EPICCOMMANDER stated above that he'd be worried about buying a house near the coast... why the heck would he do that if there's news all around him saying houses there are going to be flooded?

I'm aware and knowledgeable about some of the "unnatural" events occurring today, but why should I be worried? When the time comes to be worried about such an issue, we will have already adapted to it because it doesn't just happen overnight.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@4myAmuzumament said:

Exacerbating the issue could lead to the development of new technologies to cope with it, you know that right? You're seeing it as an issue in 2014 when it's an issue you shouldn't worry about. @EPICCOMMANDER stated above that he'd be worried about buying a house near the coast... why the heck would he do that if there's news all around him saying houses there are going to be flooded?

I'm aware and knowledgeable about some of the "unnatural" events occurring today, but why should I be worried? When the time comes to be worried about such an issue, we will have already adapted to it because it doesn't just happen overnight.

Until you can come here and have a knowledgeable discussion, there's really nothing to talk about. The fact you state that "there's no reason to worry about it in 2014" just shows your lack of understanding, compounded with all the ignorance you stated before, I really have no desire to further this discussion, as it's a waste of my time.

Now if you do some studying and can come here with an understanding of the facts, the principles, the theories and mechanics behind climate change, I'd be more than willing to get down to the nitty gritty with you.

As it stands, you're just a tape recorder repeating the same ignorance that you've heard, with no real understanding of the concept you're attempting to talk about. You're not only proving your ignorance of the matter, you're bestowing pride upon yourself for such.

Pathetic.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By 4myAmuzumament

@br0kenrabbit: You still don't get it. Why should you or me be worried about global warming? today...

You must not have read the OP... Unless you care THAT much about the lives of people in the future. I'm still at level zero here, your expertise in the subject of global warming isn't enough to convince me or anyone that it's something they should be worried about today in 2014. Very unfortunate, I was hoping to be enlightened. Good luck caring about something beyond your control. I'll spend my time doing better things with my time. :D

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 br0kenrabbit

@4myAmuzumament said:

@br0kenrabbit: You still don't get it. Why should you or me be worried about global warming? today...

You must not have read the OP... Unless you care THAT much about the lives of people in the future. I'm still at level zero here, your expertise in the subject of global warming isn't enough to convince me or anyone that it's something they should be worried about today in 2014. Very unfortunate, I was hoping to be enlightened. Good luck caring about something beyond your control. I'll spend my time doing better things with my time. :D

Why worry about a fire hazard if it's not on fire, right? Good thinking.

Have fun.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 4myAmuzumament

@br0kenrabbit: The immediate danger of a potential fire is something to worry about. You still don't get it.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 4myAmuzumament

I guess I have to spell it out for you.

Worrying about global warming is like worrying about the elementary school you're great grandson is going to attend.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

3. And people have been using Occam's Razor definition rather loosely on GS. Occam's Razor says we use the least amount of assumptions, but that doesn't mean it is the correct answer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#30 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

What I learned from this thread: If it's not going to extinct the human race we shouldn't worry about it and even if it does it won't affect us, just the future generations (which can mean your family, but who cares!), so let's party and **** them!

Sounds legit >_>

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm a selfish guy. . When I'm six feet under,

@br0kenrabbit said:

Climate Change is natural but there's always a cause. Comet impacts, volcanic upheaval, changes in the biosphere, etc. There's no natural cause for the current shift in climate, and

The Earth's axis doesn't always stay at the same orientation. It "wobbles" which can have an effect on the circulation patterns of both the oceans and atmosphere. The temperatures will also be skewed because of the changes in sun angles.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

About 1.3/5

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@4myAmuzumament: You sound equal parts ignorant and arrogant in this whole thread. It is crucial we worry NOW because what we do today determines how much of an issue it will be in the future. That is like eating terrible fatty/sugary food everyday and saying "Derp, I ain't worried about diabetes or heart disease, cause that wont happen til I am older! Derp, I'll worry then!" Or like saying smoking cigarettes is fine because you can worry about cancer later. Idiot, it is the actions we take TODAY that will cause those future problems.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 br0kenrabbit

@jun_aka_pekto said:

The Earth's axis doesn't always stay at the same orientation. It "wobbles" which can have an effect on the circulation patterns of both the oceans and atmosphere. The temperatures will also be skewed because of the changes in sun angles.

It's called 'Axial precession', and it's a 26,000 year cycle. As in: don't expect to ever notice it.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

If you live on an oceanic coast, you should be pretty darned concerned.

The concern isn't over whether we'll survive it, but the potentially drastic changes to our landscape and the associated economic cost. We'll likely have to abandon numerous coastal areas because of rising sea levels and we'll see an increase in extreme weather patterns. Areas that are drought-prone may become more so, more precipitation in other areas will lead to increased occurrences and severity of flooding, stronger and more frequent storms (tornadoes, hurricanes/cyclones, etc.).

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

You're right TC, global warming is nothing to worry about. Now go run along and play the adults have work to do.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
@SaintLeonidas said:

@4myAmuzumament: You sound equal parts ignorant and arrogant in this whole thread. It is crucial we worry NOW because what we do today determines how much of an issue it will be in the future. That is like eating terrible fatty/sugary food everyday and saying "Derp, I ain't worried about diabetes or heart disease, cause that wont happen til I am older! Derp, I'll worry then!" Or like saying smoking cigarettes is fine because you can worry about cancer later. Idiot, it is the actions we take TODAY that will cause those future problems.

But why are you worried about global warming? @Serraph105 gets it. People like us shouldn't worry about it and having knowledge or lacking knowledge on the subject is ultimately inconsequential. I will not sacrifice my standard of living. "Fighting global warming/climate change" has to be sold to us. We can see this happening already with electric cars, increased usage of photovoltaic panels, and the whole "green" movement. This is why I'm not worried. We can see people adapting and accepting that we should be more responsible.

Those examples you brought up are relatively short term and aren't global. Global warming is an issue I'll let the scientists and engineers worry about, but for now, they haven't sold me on being proactive about it to point I'm at a 3/5 or higher in terms of concern.

Global warming poses no immediate or future danger to my life or yours. Why worry about it?

Also, my level of concern is now 1/5 only because I'm worried about new technologies being overpriced and not seeing a return on my investment if I ever chose to be more green.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Global warming hoax. Jesus saves. Sean Hannity science class.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3863 Posts

0 Man made global warming is based on computer models with key information left out of the data that was put into the program in order to get a desired outcome.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

nope, much rather be wrong

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

@4myAmuzumament: So, you're not going to worry about global warming right now, but you will worry about it when it becomes an issue.

Honestly you people are ridiculous, you laughed at us when we showed data that climate change was real decades ago, and now that it's indisputable you move the goalposts and say, "Oh, well it's not a problem that affects me right now..."

Utter insanity, that's what your preaching.

I'd rather debate with a mother who thinks their child may develop autism from a vaccine.

I mean holy ****, you don't have to go out and rescue polar bears in the arctic or something, you just have understand that we may need to put a small wind farm in your empty, five-acre backyard. /rant.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@4myAmuzumament said:
@SaintLeonidas said:

But why are you worried about global warming? @Serraph105 gets it. People like us shouldn't worry about it and having knowledge or lacking knowledge on the subject is ultimately inconsequential. I will not sacrifice my standard of living. "Fighting global warming/climate change" has to be sold to us. We can see this happening already with electric cars, increased usage of photovoltaic panels, and the whole "green" movement. This is why I'm not worried. We can see people adapting and accepting that we should be more responsible.

Those examples you brought up are relatively short term and aren't global. Global warming is an issue I'll let the scientists and engineers worry about, but for now, they haven't sold me on being proactive about it to point I'm at a 3/5 or higher in terms of concern.

Global warming poses no immediate or future danger to my life or yours. Why worry about it?

Also, my level of concern is now 1/5 only because I'm worried about new technologies being overpriced and not seeing a return on my investment if I ever chose to be more green.

...you CLEARLY did not get a single thing I said. It may not be an issue tomorrow, next year, or even five years from now, but in the not so distant future it will be, and WE CAN NOT change or avoid the issue unless we start NOW. And not worrying because you think your contribution, no matter how small, won't mean anything is the same moronic logic idiots use when they say "I don't vote because it isn't like my vote matters anyway!"

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#43 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@4myAmuzumament said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@4myAmuzumament said:

It never hurts to be prepared man. I'm not sure what preparations can be made for such an event as global warming besides awareness so I can't go into detail. Yes you're right maybe we shouldn't worry but I think we should always be concerned about something so real. Better to be proactive than reactive most of the time.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

It's not only ignorant but extremely egotistical to think that evolution of all things will safeguard humanity from global warming. Life will certainly find a way to survive after global warming takes a more pronounced effect on the environment but that doesn't mean that there will still be a place for humans in this new landscape, at least on the scale that we currently enjoy now. We are not the pinnacle of creation - biological life is not something that converges towards intelligence as a matter of fact.

George Carlin put it more bluntly; when it's all said and done the planet will "shake us off like a bad case of fleas"