Georgia looking to pass its own legal discrimination bill

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_HazBro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101 _HazBro_
Member since 2014 • 125 Posts

Hey look Missouri is joining in on the fun too.

A Republican state lawmaker on Monday filed legislation that would allow Missouri business owners to cite religious beliefs as a legal justification for refusing to provide service.

Although it doesn’t mention sexual orientation, the bill could provide legal cover for denial of services to same-sex couples.

The legislation, sponsored by Sen. Wayne Wallingford of Cape Girardeau, states that a governmental authority shall not substantially burden a person’s free exercise of religion unless the government demonstrates that it has a compelling interest.

To supporters of the idea — similar to legislation filed in several other states — the goal is to make it clear that private individuals can use religious beliefs as a defense in litigation.

“We’re trying to protect Missourians from attacks on their religious freedom,” Wallingford said.

Link.

Avatar image for girlshavefuntoo
girlshavefuntoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#102 girlshavefuntoo
Member since 2013 • 125 Posts

Is it sexist of me to want to cut off these politicans balls?

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@whipassmt said:

@bforrester420 said:

I don't know how this is any different than the segregation of blacks and whites. These laws will (had better) not get past the Supreme Court...

There is a big difference. Segregation was legally mandated by the state or local government (e.g. Jim Crow laws), in other words private businesses were forced to discriminate whether they wanted to or not. In the cases of the law we are talking about here the state government isn't forcing anyone to do anything. The law merely allows business owners to decide what to do with their own business.

Also people's religious rights do apply outside of their homes and churches just like their other rights. A right isn't really a right if you can only exercise it in your house or a dedicated building. People don't have free speech only in their homes or in debate halls and then be liable to fines or jailtime for saying "Obama sucks" or "Congress is filled with idiots" while on a public sidewalk.

And for Aljosa's "what about the civil rights of gays" this law would protect the rights of gays who oppose gay marriage and who wouldn't want to take photos of gay weddings or such.

No, you're right. I drew a poor analogy by using the Jim Crow laws as an example.

While these newly proposed laws aren't State mandated discrimination, would you agree they can rightly be classified as State condoned discrimination?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#104 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Makhaidos said:

@Master_Live said:

@Makhaidos said:

Oh, look, now Missouri's trying it.

Notice how these are all Republican politicians in primarily Republican states, with the vast majority of support coming from Republican voters in Republican districts. Why, if one strained their eyes, one could almost see a pattern.

The Georgia bill, which was introduced last week and was scheduled to be heard in subcommittee Monday afternoon, was sponsored by six state representatives (some of them Democrats).

Try again.

The bill is sponsored by four representatives, all of whom are Republicans. The three sponsors of the Senate bill are also all Republicans. The three sponsors of the Arizona bill are all Republicans, and the senator who introduced the bill in Missouri is, gasp, a Republican.

Aljosa, remember this the next time you bring a Mother Jones article.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Which is why I never bothered replying to him. Not worth my time.

Wow, the dude who thinks we should legislate discrimination based on beliefs from thousands of years ago thinks it's not worth replying to someone else. The irony...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Master_Live: Huh? I assume you were trying to quote whipassmt and the site glitched. Anyway, I know very well what Mother Jones is. They do great investigative reporting and whether or not they are left or right leaning is irrelevant: all publications have a stance.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#107 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

So shops can also discriminate against religious people? "Sorry miss, since you're a whore of Christ, I cannot give you service due to my beliefs. Have a good day, bye!"

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@Master_Live: Huh? I assume you were trying to quote whipassmt and the site glitched. Anyway, I know very well what Mother Jones is. They do great investigative reporting and whether or not they are left or right leaning is irrelevant: all publications have a stance.

They did some crappy reporting here if I could directly disprove them with literally less than five minutes on Google.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#109 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

so how do these laws work in practice? does the business owner need to prove their religious affiliation and provide proper holy texts to support their decision to deny service? if a business owner decides to deny service to someone they suspect is a homosexual but the potential customer is straight, what happens then? does the customer have any recourse vs. the business owner? what if the potential customer is bisexual? what then? or are the laws written in an extremely generic way such that a business owner can simply say "i refuse to serve this person on the grounds of religion" and that's that?

GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts

Honestly, and people are going to freak out over this, ok. Georgia can do what it wants, and restoring business owners the right to conduct their businesses how they want is essentially just restoring their basic (formerly, inalienable) property rights to them. That said, businesses will in the long run hurt themselves if they get to nuts with this, but that's what free markets are for. Frankly, a gay business owner should have the right to deny a fundamentalist Christian business if they should so want, and its kind of nuts that a free country doesn't allow that.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#111 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@Curlyfrii87 said:

@Randolph said:

I really wish these legislators in the south would get a clue. They are embarrassing us all down here. I'm living in Georgia, and I couldn't possibly be more ashamed of how backwards and ignorant our state, and our region as a whole, actually is.

Agreed. I also live in Georgia, and love it here... but it really is embarrassing to see so many people here putting a halt to our societies advances.

How do these inbred's survive?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#112 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@GIJames248 said:

Frankly, a gay business owner should have the right to deny a fundamentalist Christian business if they should so want, and its kind of nuts that a free country doesn't allow that.

Freedoms have limits.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#113 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44568 Posts

This isn't a very popular policy across the nation, and it's going to hurt the image of the Republican Party (yes I know some state Democrats support it too but this is ultimately going to stick with the Republicans). Hell, the NFL is now considering moving the next Super Bowl away from Arizona should the governor pass the pro-discrimination bill. Frankly, the Republican Party can gain a lot by ignoring the religious nuts, I mean who are they gonna vote for anyways.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Randolph

@lamprey263: As much as I desperately pine for a conservative political party that is free from religious fundamentalism and the insanity it entails, I don't think the GOP can just ignore them full stop. That's a habit that has to be broken slowly over time. Most of the national GOP would love for this gay marriage thing to go away, they know how to read polls too, they know this bigotry is hugely damaging and could break their ability to ever win another national election for President. But they have to wait for the Supreme Court to rule against it and say "well gosh golly guys we tried, but thats that and now we have to move on".

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#115  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44568 Posts

@Randolph said:

@lamprey263: As much as I desperately pine for a conservative political party that is free from religious fundamentalism and the insanity it entails, I don't think the GOP can just ignore them full stop. That's a habit that has to be broken slowly over time. Most of the national GOP would love for this gay marriage thing to go away, they know how to read polls too, they know this bigotry is hugely damaging and could break their ability to ever win another national election for President. But they have to wait for the Supreme Court to rule against it and say "well gosh golly guys we tried, but thats that and now we have to move on".

Even if gay marriage got a Supreme Court ruling I still imagine Republicans will use it as an issue for decades to come just like Roe v. Wade. And it might not even be for ideological reasons, they might just utilize such rhetoric for advantages with their voter base.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Randolph

Governor Brewer vetoed the Arizona bill. Link.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Bwhahahahaha Brewer vetoed it.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@GIJames248 said:

Honestly, and people are going to freak out over this, ok. Georgia can do what it wants, and restoring business owners the right to conduct their businesses how they want is essentially just restoring their basic (formerly, inalienable) property rights to them. That said, businesses will in the long run hurt themselves if they get to nuts with this, but that's what free markets are for. Frankly, a gay business owner should have the right to deny a fundamentalist Christian business if they should so want, and its kind of nuts that a free country doesn't allow that.

would the same thing be true if they allowed businesses to turn away people based on skin color?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Randolph

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@GIJames248 said:

would the same thing be true if they allowed businesses to turn away people based on skin color?

Technically if this law passes anywhere a business could do that so long as serving a person of another skin color was "against their religion".

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

The Arizona bill was just vetoed.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 MakeMeaSammitch
@Randolph said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@GIJames248 said:

Technically if this law passes anywhere a business could do that so long as serving a person of another skin color was "against their religion".

the bible does say slavery is ok.....

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

@Makhaidos said:

Interesting turn of events indeed.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#124  Edited By CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@thegerg said:

Not to get too far off topic, but I always hear people say this but I've never seen evidence that it does. Care to provide some?

"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. "(Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 CountBleck12

@thegerg said:

@CountBleck12 said:

@thegerg said:

Not to get too far off topic, but I always hear people say this but I've never seen evidence that it does. Care to provide some?

"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. "(Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

Interesting.

Yet this an old book that millions of people "like" but I'm sure the majority don't even read it completely and if they did then they don't understand it completely. There are other atrocities that are depicted in the bible besides this one but homophobes love to use this book as evidence as to why homosexuality is unnatural while things like that (slavery), stoning children to death, and females having to marry their rapists is completely natural in the other hand. Yeah I don't get it either.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 MakeMeaSammitch

@thegerg said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:
@Randolph said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@GIJames248 said:

the bible does say slavery is ok.....

http://www.openbible.info/topics/slavery

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@bforrester420 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Wow, the dude who thinks we should legislate discrimination based on beliefs from thousands of years ago thinks it's not worth replying to someone else. The irony...

No, I got your point and its an untenable position.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@CountBleck12 said:

@thegerg said:

@CountBleck12 said:

@thegerg said:

Interesting.

Yet this an old book that millions of people "like" but I'm sure the majority don't even read it completely and if they did then they don't understand it completely. There are other atrocities that are depicted in the bible besides this one but homophobes love to use this book as evidence as to why homosexuality is unnatural while things like that (slavery), stoning children to death, and females having to marry their rapists is completely natural in the other hand. Yeah I don't get it either.

Uh those are obviously out of date sections that no longer apply to the modern world! duh!

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

This bill is totally understandable. Religious groups, especially Christians have been suffering at the hands of gays and atheists for centuries now. It's time they got their FREEDOM back.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Randolph

@Crunchy_Nuts said:

This bill is totally understandable. Religious groups, especially Christians have been suffering at the hands of gays and atheists for centuries now. It's time they got their FREEDOM back.

Who knows? Maybe one day one of them could even be elected president. Possibly even forty four of them consecutively.

(gotta love John Stewart)

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@bforrester420 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

No, I got your point and its an untenable position.

Clearly you did miss my point seeing you think I am trying to defend something.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

Here's the Anderson Cooper interview again... lolz.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#134 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I don't believe that law will hold up when challenged. If it even passes.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#135 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

@Makhaidos said:

Well, to be honest were you expecting it not to be?

But again perhaps the gay community shouldn't be so quick to decide what people can and cannot do, i still remember the gay couple who made a huge deal out of being denied service at a religious bakery, seriously why would you go to a place you know has beliefs that go against your lifestyle. Its crazy and this is why its being fought with more craziness.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Why are these dumbass politicians allowed to even be in office? We call ourselves the Land of the Free, yet we have "leaders" that try to suppress the human rights of others based on sexual orientation as if this was 1800. Hypocrisy much? Oh yeah, it's only the Land of the Free for old Christian white men, silly me. They make up the vast majority of Congress, which is definitely not representative of the entire population. Congress and state governments need more politicians who are women, younger than 50, non-white, and of varying religious or non-religious beliefs to better represent the country. All these old rich white guys stuck in the 1950s need to fucking die off so we can catch up with the rest of the developed world in the human rights department.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 CountBleck12

@lostrib said:

@CountBleck12 said:

@thegerg said:

@CountBleck12 said:

Interesting.

Uh those are obviously out of date sections that no longer apply to the modern world! duh!

"But we're still going to ignore those sections and focus on bashing the gays because they're still unnatural no matter how you look at it!"

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

This can't pass because it's unconstitutional.

so naive

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 wis3boi
@Randolph said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Sorry, not getting in this with you. I am happy about this. Suck it up and deal with it. I could throw a stupid hypothetical question at you as well. I just don't care to. Religious people get trampled on all the time, so you have it all wrong if you think I give two shits about it happening to somebody else for a change. No I am not a religious person, but that doesn't mean I like to see religious people treated like shit all the time and their beliefs ignored in favor of somebody elses.

Religious people need to understand that not always getting your way =/= being trampled on or oppressed. These guys can't claim that they are being "trampled on" while simultaneously copying their religion directly from the bible, and into the law we all must obey. I don't remember any laws saying Christians can't get married, or that a business can deny service to a Christian if it violates their religious beliefs. Which is something these laws would make possible actually, it could also reintroduce legal skin color discrimination.

That is something these religious conservatives never take into consideration, precedent. It's an important thing to think about it. If someone cannot practice their religion without discriminating against and oppressing others, then their religion is not compatible with a first world society.

Gotta love it when the evangelicals cry foul when someone takes away their stick as they beat someone with it (metaphorically)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Jacanuk

@wis3boi said:
@Randolph said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Sorry, not getting in this with you. I am happy about this. Suck it up and deal with it. I could throw a stupid hypothetical question at you as well. I just don't care to. Religious people get trampled on all the time, so you have it all wrong if you think I give two shits about it happening to somebody else for a change. No I am not a religious person, but that doesn't mean I like to see religious people treated like shit all the time and their beliefs ignored in favor of somebody elses.

Religious people need to understand that not always getting your way =/= being trampled on or oppressed. These guys can't claim that they are being "trampled on" while simultaneously copying their religion directly from the bible, and into the law we all must obey. I don't remember any laws saying Christians can't get married, or that a business can deny service to a Christian if it violates their religious beliefs. Which is something these laws would make possible actually, it could also reintroduce legal skin color discrimination.

That is something these religious conservatives never take into consideration, precedent. It's an important thing to think about it. If someone cannot practice their religion without discriminating against and oppressing others, then their religion is not compatible with a first world society.

Gotta love it when the evangelicals cry foul when someone takes away their stick as they beat someone with it (metaphorically)

You know i get that no one should discriminate on insane grounds, but why is it ok to beat religious people over the head and basically say "hey you idiot, we know what you believe is wrong so go f yourself"

It´s actually pretty insane how much power liberals have because they can use the public opinion which are generate by fear for some people.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 wis3boi

@Jacanuk said:

@wis3boi said:
@Randolph said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

You know i get that no one should discriminate on insane grounds, but why is it ok to beat religious people over the head and basically say "hey you idiot, we know what you believe is wrong so go f yourself"

It´s actually pretty insane how much power liberals have because they can use the public opinion which are generate by fear for some people.

Religious belief holds zero power over anything else.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Randolph

@Jacanuk said:

We have to make it clear that a lot of the things they believe are wrong because they are, have been, and continue to directly write those things into the law we all must obey. Soon as they stop copying their book into the law, I'll stop pointing how ridiculous their book is. I live in the year 2014. I do not wish for my laws to be based on the rantings of ancient sheepherders who heard voices and approved of slavery, stoning disobedient children, marrying girls off to their rapists, killing people who work on a certain day of the week, killing gay people, and various other immoral horrors.

It wouldn't bother me as much if Christians were trying to write the teachings of Jesus into the law. Problem is most modern Christians in the USA are Christian in name only and prefer to try to enforce the laws of the bloodthirsty monster of the Old Testament on us.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By lostrib

@Jacanuk said:

@wis3boi said:

Not sure I understand your point, can you please explain/clarify it

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Randolph

@Jacanuk said:

But again perhaps the gay community shouldn't be so quick to decide what people can and cannot do

Is it the gay community writing laws about who can get married and who can't? Writing laws about who can adopt children, and who cannot? Used to write laws about who could be in the military, and who could not? The gay community is the one trying to tell other people what they can and cannot do? Seriously?

As for the rest of that post, they were looking for a wedding cake. They went to a place that sells wedding cakes. Where else should they go? They were denied/discriminated against by that service based on their sexual orientation, which is against the law.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 lostrib

@wis3boi said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

This can't pass because it's unconstitutional.

so naive

If I recall, things are usually only deemed unconstitutional after they pass

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 lostrib

@Jacanuk said:

@Serraph105 said:

@Makhaidos said:

But again perhaps the gay community shouldn't be so quick to decide what people can and cannot do, i still remember the gay couple who made a huge deal out of being denied service at a religious bakery, seriously why would you go to a place you know has beliefs that go against your lifestyle. Its crazy and this is why its being fought with more craziness.

It wasn't a religious bakery, it was a bakery run by people who turned out to be religious

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Jacanuk

@lostrib said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wis3boi said:

Well, my point was that while we are cried our ears full of "we need to accept everyone" it seems that no-one really need to accept religious people when they believe things someone doesn't deem "acceptable"

Not that i have a problem with religious people being hit on the head but its kinda funny that liberals can decide what is ok and what is not.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 wis3boi

@Jacanuk said:

@lostrib said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wis3boi said:

Well, my point was that while we are cried our ears full of "we need to accept everyone" it seems that no-one really need to accept religious people when they believe things someone doesn't deem "acceptable"

Not that i have a problem with religious people being hit on the head but its kinda funny that liberals can decide what is ok and what is not.

I think you missed the point of separation of church and state. Personal belief trumps no law, ever. It's not beating them over the head, it's following the rules laid down since the country was founded. This has nothing to do with "liberals", it's common sense. But considering a lot of our politicians couldn't tell you much about history or the country's own documents, it doesn't surprise me that some of them think it's okay to do the kinds of things this thread was started for.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Jacanuk

@lostrib said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Serraph105 said:

@Makhaidos said:

It wasn't a religious bakery, it was a bakery run by people who turned out to be religious

There are more then one case but the one i am talking about was a cater/baker who refused to cater to a gay couples marriage.

But let me ask you this in cases where personal and religious values and beliefs are in play, where does the freedom to practice religion end and equal treatment under the law begin?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 lostrib

@Jacanuk said:

@lostrib said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Serraph105 said:

@Makhaidos said:

There are more then one case but the one i am talking about was a cater/baker who refused to cater to a gay couples marriage.

But let me ask you this in cases where personal and religious values and beliefs are in play, where does the freedom to practice religion end and equal treatment under the law begin?

When you open a business dealing with the public