Friends you hate watching movies with

This topic is locked from further discussion.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

K, so I'm the type of movie watcher who has to catch every line of dialog. Like if I don't understand something someone said, I will rewind and turn the volume up. I don't do this when watching with other people, but I still pay as much attention to the movie as possible.

I had some friends over today to watch the two Hobbit movies at their request, and since they goofed off all through the opening sequence and well into the film they were completely lost. "Where's Frodo and Gimli? Just what is their 'quest'? Who's that guy with the beard (seriously?)?"

And then in the middle of me trying to explain it (since they asked) they all start unrelated conversations with each other. Hell, the movie was over for 15 minutes before anyone but me realized it was back at the menu screen. I even asked several times through the movie if they'd like to just hang out and watch it another time, or even borrow it to watch it on their own time, but no...they were 'in to it'. As they chatted and texted on their phones, cut up, laid around with their eyes closed etc.

Ugh. I threw out a few questions that anyone paying any attention to the movie would know, and they had no clue.

Have you any friends like this? I'm thinking the next time I watch a movie with them and they have to inquire about the plot, I'm just going to start making shit up. It's not like they'll know any different.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

That is why I watch movies alone, ALWAYS. Period.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@Master_Live said:

Yeah but these particular friends have vaginas.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

@Master_Live said:

Yeah but these particular friends have vaginas.

They will still have vaginas after you see the movie, alone. The purpose of seeing the movie is the movie (mainly), not picking up a girl or if the purpose is picking up girls then the movie isn't that important, is it? But these are friends, not girls your are trying to pick up right? So the problem is your friends which of course you alluded to in your first post, hence the thread.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 br0kenrabbit

@Master_Live said:

They will still have vaginas after you see the movie, alone. The purpose of seeing the movie is the movie (mainly), not picking up a girl or if the purpose is picking up girls then the movie isn't that important, is it? But these are friends, not girls your are trying to pick up right? So the problem is your friends which of course you alluded to in your first post, hence the thread.

I'm actually in the 3rd year of a relationship, not interested in picking them up. But the more girls I hang out with the more attention I get from mine. Besides, I've known most of these girls since long time.

Still, I'm fine with hanging out, I'm fine with watching a movie, just pick one.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

I have a friend who goes "pfft" or "christ" at scenes he finds ridiculous or annoying. Which is....almost every few minutes. He's a CG artist, plus he just broke up with his GF. So he'll get annoyed at kiss scenes or romantic scenes, and always be critical about CG or Art in movies, always has to be a critique DURING the movie instead of after.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

if I don't understand something someone said, I will rewind and turn the volume up.

you are a slow pick-up machine ... lol

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Master_Live said:

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

watch the movies by yourself first so when you do watch them with your friends you won't care as much when they're talking

Gamerno66666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#10 Gamerno66666
Member since 2013 • 175 Posts

Yeah, maybe i am one of those friends.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

It's the rare occasion that I willingly choose to enjoy any form of leisure activity with some other people. In fact the same could be said about any given activity or task. I operate superiorly better on my own. However, there's someone I enjoy watching movies with which is something I find to be quite outstanding and exceptional.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

A long time ago i went to see SW Episode 3 with two classmates.They were talking and making jokes throughout the whole thing and eventually one guy threw his popcorn on our heads.

I learned my lesson that day,ALWAYS GO TO THE MOVIES ALONE.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#14 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

I just pause it then stare at them awkwardly until they shut up and pay attention.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@Master_Live said:

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

If I do need to talk I whisper really soft and keep it short, but that's rarely, out of concern for theater etiquette I try not to talk at all. About the only people I know who talk in the middle of movies are my parents, they'll chat full voice through previews and if my mom goes to the bathroom she wants a full narration of what she missed. Generally me and my friends have excellent theater etiquette, we follow about every rule with exception to sneaking in outside snacks.

@ShepardCommandr said:

A long time ago i went to see SW Episode 3 with two classmates.They were talking and making jokes throughout the whole thing

I'm generally well behaved at movies, but Star Wars Episode 3 was so goddamn awful I couldn't help but to constantly crack up and openly mock it. You should give friends and movies a second chance.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#17  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

If you or your friends are talking a lot during a movie, it means one of two things.

1. You've watched the movie so many times you all have it memorized

2. The movie is really boring or bad.

Since OP said they were watching the Hobbit, I'm guessing it was because the movie was so boring.