First look at new Godzilla (2014) at SDCC

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

Gaf

Courtesy of Deadline. (Its worth noting they replaced this image with a lower quality, brightened version within minutes).

------

Also, there were many statues etc. before that part of the en encounter, and some are believed to be based on the new design, perhaps early versions:

17gPkBw.jpg

GhjeVln.jpg

6o0quDO.jpg

Nc9tgCQ.png

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Looks closer to old-school Godzilla, and less like the overgrown T-Rex version from the 90's.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Looks closer to old-school Godzilla, and less like the overgrown T-Rex version from the 90's.Oleg_Huzwog

I liked the overgrown T-Rex version. I also loved the camp of that movie, such as the Ebert/Siskel parody and the stupid reporter fighting. The fact that they blamed it all on the French Government's nuclear testing was just a hilarious take on the original premise. I watched it again during the years when the Bush government was contending with France (the era when some congressman wanted to rename "French Fries" to "Freedom Fries"), and I wondered how much better the film would have been received if it had just been released a few years later with the new political climate. Either way it was comically stupid, and enhanced my enjoyment of the film.

It was something of a "so bad it's good" film for me.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

Thank GOD

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

I wonder how Legendary and Warner feel about this now after Pacific Rim pulled a John Carter.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]Looks closer to old-school Godzilla, and less like the overgrown T-Rex version from the 90's.m0zart

I liked the overgrown T-Rex version. I also loved the camp of that movie, such as the Ebert/Siskel parody and the stupid reporter fighting. The fact that they blamed it all on the French Government's nuclear testing was just a hilarious take on the original premise. I watched it again during the years when the Bush government was contending with France (the era when some congressman wanted to rename "French Fries" to "Freedom Fries"), and I wondered how much better the film would have been received if it had just been released a few years later with the new political climate. Either way it was comically stupid, and enhanced my enjoyment of the film.

"The fish! They've eaten all the fish!"

I think a bulky, clumsy 'Zilla would've heightened the comedy value of that movie even more.  The overgrown T-Rex version was a little too nimble for me.

rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rocinante_
Member since 2012 • 1772 Posts

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]Looks closer to old-school Godzilla, and less like the overgrown T-Rex version from the 90's.m0zart

yah, i liked that movie too. in fact, i don't think i've seen a godzilla movie that i haven't liked

hopefully this new one doesn't take itself too seriously

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Baranga

Everybody likes Emmerich's Godzilla, but few are brave enough to admit it.

JustBeYourself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JustBeYourself
Member since 2012 • 686 Posts

I wonder how Legendary and Warner feel about this now after Pacific Rim pulled a John Carter.

Baranga
That's an exaggeration, Pacific Rim didn't pull a John Carter, it didn't perform on huge blockbuster scale but it is not a John Carter/Lone Ranger scale disaster. As for Godzilla, if they go full on Japanese/sci-fi with it, it could be awesome.
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Looks closer to old-school Godzilla, and less like the overgrown T-Rex version from the 90's.

Oleg_Huzwog

And that is amazing. Let's hope this movie turns out to be really good so they can bring sequels with Anguirus, Mothra and King Ghidorah :P

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i don't know if the giant monster genre can ever beat Big Man Japan.

check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTAoxSspBJE

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
He looks like Godzilla again. That's a good start.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts

Baranga
Pacific Rim looked stupid from the get go.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts
hopefully this new one doesn't take itself too seriouslyrocinante_
The producers stated that the tone would be closer to the 1954 original film. It'll be interesting to see what it'll look like
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

And that is amazing. Let's hope this movie turns out to be really good so they can bring sequels with Anguirus, Mothra and King Ghidorah :PRicardomz
There's already going to be at least two monsters in the movie, in addition to Godzilla.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

After Pacific Rim there is nothing these guys could do to impress me at this point.

Unless we have poorly dubbed japanese dudes running around and a man in a suit destroying an obvious model city, it's going to be a try-hard monster flick that I don't care about.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Baranga

There's already going to be at least two monsters in the movie, in addition to Godzilla.

Hallenbeck77

There are going to be a lot more monsters.

After Pacific Rim there is nothing these guys could do to impress me at this point.

Unless we have poorly dubbed japanese dudes running around and a man in a suit destroying an obvious model city, it's going to be a try-hard monster flick that I don't care about.

Wasdie

I only liked the characters in that movie. Almost all monsters sucked and the robots didn't do shit - except when that one pulled a sword out of its ass. Man of Steel had way better action and destruction.

Disappointment of the decade.

Iostlemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Iostlemon
Member since 2013 • 90 Posts
More or less fish in this one?
Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

Pretty good but I dont reslly like the look of his spines. 

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
That is beautiful. I'm glad he looks more like the original Godzilla and less like Zilla from the 90's American movie.
rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rocinante_
Member since 2012 • 1772 Posts

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]hopefully this new one doesn't take itself too seriouslyHallenbeck77
The producers stated that the tone would be closer to the 1954 original film. It'll be interesting to see what it'll look like

excellent; out of the ones i've seen, the '54 film is my favourite 

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"][QUOTE="rocinante_"]hopefully this new one doesn't take itself too seriouslyrocinante_

I've been meaning to pick up the original on Blu-ray; Criterion put it out sometime last year.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts
Wow it also looks like the monster.
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MickeyTheNinja
Member since 2007 • 3824 Posts
Wow, that's a great design for him. I just hope it doesn't have a story so the people in this thread that didn't like Pacific Rim will like it. Yeah..not enough destruction, there was too much of a well thought out story, plot, and character development that got in the way of the AWEESSOME MONSTEEWWSS and WOBOTS!...disgusting..
David719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 David719
Member since 2007 • 2187 Posts

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"] The producers stated that the tone would be closer to the 1954 original film. It'll be interesting to see what it'll look likeHallenbeck77

I've been meaning to pick up the original on Blu-ray; Criterion put it out sometime last year.

All Criterion films are currently on sale at Barnes And Noble if you're interested.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]And that is amazing. Let's hope this movie turns out to be really good so they can bring sequels with Anguirus, Mothra and King Ghidorah :PHallenbeck77

Oh shit, that's awesome!
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Baranga

Wow, that's a great design for him. I just hope it doesn't have a story so the people in this thread that didn't like Pacific Rim will like it. Yeah..not enough destruction, there was too much of a well thought out story, plot, and character development that got in the way of the AWEESSOME MONSTEEWWSS and WOBOTS!...disgusting.. MickeyTheNinja

Pacific Rim has no well thought out story and plot. It's horrible. It did have likeable characters though, can't remember the last move that had so many of them.

It only has one genuinely cool kaiju, plus one that's obviously a giant version of those Pitch Black aliens and is in the movie for about seven seconds.

It technically has a couple of cool robots, but they are on screen for about two minutes and we're left with generic giant Power Ranger robot dude. Can't have a three-armed robot stomp around and do karate moves, it might alienate the public!

The good thing about PR is that it made me way more interested in Godzilla 2014 than before. It's a massive tease and I need something to deliver what it promised.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I had a dream two nights ago about seeing the trailer for it but then I woke up :(

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gameofthering

Baranga

I do :P

I love the animated series even more! 

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

I am keen to see howthis turns out. Ive always been Godzilla fan.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

David719

All Criterion films are currently on sale at Barnes And Noble if you're interested.

Looks like I'm making a trip there this weekend. Thanks for the heads-up.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Looks like one weak ass Kaiju.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
So awesome.. can be pretty good for a sandwich. I think so.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

Baranga
i did.
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

its been so long since WB picked up the rights (think like 3 years). I hope they show a trailer soon with comic con around the corner..

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

its been so long since WB picked up the rights (think like 3 years). I hope they show a trailer soon with comic con around the corner..

TheShadowLord07

They got an event planned for Comic Con.  Hopefully, a teaser will be released for those who aren't there.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Agreed completely. 

That said, I'm still super stoked to see them go back to the old school Godzilla. I'm hoping for a Jet Jaguar cameo appearance. Complete with theme song.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

Hallenbeck77

They got an event planned for Comic Con.  Hopefully, a teaser will be released for those who aren't there.

well I been following whats going with all the posters and then these models of godzilla coming out. I think they started viral marketing out a few weeks ago. 

though I would be dissapointed if its teaser with lot of nothing going on. a trailer similar to the tdkr back in 2011 would be ok though.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Looks very promising, the director and producers are very talented and I have faith that this will turn out well.

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

NICE! looks like 84' godzilla

Avatar image for DrKillByDeath84
DrKillByDeath84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DrKillByDeath84
Member since 2011 • 357 Posts

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

gameofthering

I do :P

I love the animated series even more! 

The animated series was great, and i liked the movie, saw it in theatre.....twice.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#42 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

looks sweet

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gameofthering

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

TheShadowLord07

well I been following whats going with all the posters and then these models of godzilla coming out. I think they started viral marketing out a few weeks ago. 

though I would be dissapointed if its teaser with lot of nothing going on. a trailer similar to the tdkr back in 2011 would be ok though.

Yeah I'd like to see a video of it. Been waiting for what seems forever.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

you should hear what sour kraut became during ww1.

liberty cabbage.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts
I likes. :)
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

I would be dissapointed if its teaser with lot of nothing going on. a trailer similar to the tdkr back in 2011 would be ok though.TheShadowLord07
I think they're still ways off before a proper trailer is introduced to the public outside Comic Con. As it is, they were just filming additional scenes in Waikiki last night, about 30 minutes or so from where I live.  Here's a link to the local news station out here covering the story.

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

I better get to see King Ghidorah, I always liked him!

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

solidruss
As far as the other monsters, I'm wondering if they're going to have original creatures or some of the old favorites. King Ghidorah would kick ass, but I got a feeling that may be saved for the sequel if this is a hit.
solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

[QUOTE="solidruss"]

Hallenbeck77

As far as the other monsters, I'm wondering if they're going to have original creatures or some of the old favorites. King Ghidorah would kick ass, but I got a feeling that may be saved for the sequel if this is a hit.

My first thought was Mothra, since for some strange reason was a hit. Hoping that's not the case. I don't need any CG big ass moth :P

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"][QUOTE="solidruss"]

solidruss

My first thought was Mothra, since for some strange reason was a hit. Hoping that's not the case. I don't need any CG big ass moth :P

Mothra has a certain charm, especially when those two micro machine sized girls showed up in the older movies, but it's hard to it seriously in a fight.