Finland - Scandinavian, Slavic or just a diferent altogether?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts

Its a question thats always bugged me, i mean its easy to tell them apart looks wise, but due to their geography, mentality and culture, they can be said to be both

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Finno-Ugric, like the Hungarians and Estonians.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Yep. To be Scandinavian you need to be somehow attached to the Scandic mountains, so that means Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. Denmark can be argued to not be a part of the mountains though... any Danes out there care to weigh in on this?
TheCurlyBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheCurlyBlade
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
this is correct, the Fins, Hungarians and i think the Turks (oddly) are all part of the same race, these peoples language is also unique.
escapeoftheape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 escapeoftheape
Member since 2007 • 1576 Posts
im scandinavian (from norway). are you saying that finns look different than us? i had no idea.. well, they are definitely now slavic :S they look different from russian, dont they??
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
We usually call ourselves Nordic AFAIK.
escapeoftheape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 escapeoftheape
We usually call ourselves Nordic AFAIK.inoperativeRS
AFAIK meaning what?
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FirstDiscovery
Well as somebody say, they are Finno-Ugric, which has made the question EVEN more complicated given that it means they are not Germanic, Slavic or Romantic. Still, in Norway/Sweden/Denmark/Iceland/Greenland people have similar names whereas the Finns are quite different Here is somebody with very Finnish features
escapeoftheape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 escapeoftheape
looks like a scandinavian just slightly more alienish, dontcha think?
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"]We usually call ourselves Nordic AFAIK.escapeoftheape
AFAIK meaning what?

AFAIK - As Far As I Know. I could always pick out a native Finn in a crowd quite easily, while teling a Norwegian from a Swede or Dane is a lot more difficult. Something about the bone structure...
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="escapeoftheape"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"]We usually call ourselves Nordic AFAIK.ChiliDragon
AFAIK meaning what?

AFAIK - As Far As I Know. I could always pick out a native Finn in a crowd quite easily, while teling a Norwegian from a Swede or Dane is a lot more difficult. Something about the bone structure...

Yeah the names are also a big give-away
thekodaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thekodaman
Member since 2006 • 1733 Posts
Finland is not part of scandinavia. As the above poster stated names are a huge giveaway when it comes to telling the difference between danes, swedes and norwegians.
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WhiteSnake5000
Member since 2005 • 12454 Posts
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Well as somebody say, they are Finno-Ugric, which has made the question EVEN more complicated given that it means they are not Germanic, Slavic or Romantic. Still, in Norway/Sweden/Denmark/Iceland/Greenland people have similar names whereas the Finns are quite different Here is somebody with very Finnish features

Max Payne?
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="WhiteSnake5000"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Well as somebody say, they are Finno-Ugric, which has made the question EVEN more complicated given that it means they are not Germanic, Slavic or Romantic. Still, in Norway/Sweden/Denmark/Iceland/Greenland people have similar names whereas the Finns are quite different Here is somebody with very Finnish features

Max Payne?

He works for Remedy and yeah they based Max Payne 1's model on his face.
Bobzfamily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bobzfamily
Member since 2008 • 1514 Posts

Aren't Finnish people actually more related to Hungarians than they are to Scandinavians, or even russians?

Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts
They're Scandinavians, but with a completely different "language tree" (their language is related to Hungarian and Estonian). Finland used to be Swedish for a very long time and they're still pretty connected to their Scandinavian neighbors...plus, Swedish is their second official language.
Euroshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Euroshinobi
Member since 2009 • 3299 Posts

all white people look the same to me :/ i honestly would not be able to tell the difference between someone who is Finnish & someone who is Irish besides accent/language.......white is white lol

Bobzfamily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bobzfamily
Member since 2008 • 1514 Posts
Same way with non-caucasians to me...Blacks look black, asians look asians. Guess it's just the way humans are designed to recognize specific members of their own people (tribal instinct)
Severed_Hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Severed_Hand
Member since 2007 • 3402 Posts
their language traces back to korean i believe.... or some sort of asian language.
Red-Ravens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Red-Ravens
Member since 2009 • 1209 Posts
I have no idea what you're talking about.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Yep. To be Scandinavian you need to be somehow attached to the Scandic mountains, so that means Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. Denmark can be argued to not be a part of the mountains though... any Danes out there care to weigh in on this?ChiliDragon
Even if just a bit, the Scandinavian mountains go all the way to northwestern Finland. By that logic Finland is more Scandinavian than Denmark is. It really is more about language and culture than anything else. Finland has a language of their own and a culture heavily influenced by the Russians. But like hungry bunny said, Finland was a part of Sweden for several hundred years and even after nearly hundred years of independence and over hundred years of being a part of Russia, Swedish is still our second official language and as for cultures, Swedes are still the closest to us. You can never hear a Finn calling himself a Scandinavian or Finland a part of Scandinavia. We see ourselves as a part of the Nordic countries. But then again, at least outside the Nordic countries Scandinavia is often used as a synonym for the Nordic countries. And as far as I know, Swedes don't really call themselves Scandinavians either but rather nordbor (northerners). I guess you could also argue that Finns weren't part of the traveling Norsemen, better known as vikings. In the end, there's no clear answer to this question. It's all about how you define the word 'Scandinavian'.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RK-Mara

Aren't Finnish people actually more related to Hungarians than they are to Scandinavians, or even russians?

Bobzfamily
That is only as far as the language is concerned. Estonian, Finnish and Hungarian are known as the Finno-Ugric languages.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RK-Mara
their language traces back to korean i believe.... or some sort of asian language.Severed_Hand
I only know it traces back to the Ural region of Russia.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
[QUOTE="Hungry_bunny"]They're Scandinavians, but with a completely different "language tree" (their language is related to Hungarian and Estonian). Finland used to be Swedish for a very long time and they're still pretty connected to their Scandinavian neighbors...plus, Swedish is their second official language.

Uhm Scandinavia is Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Nordic is Finland, Sweden, Norway and Iceland. And I believe the difference is more historical and cultural than anything else.
carbon_dioxide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 carbon_dioxide
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts
im finish woot :D if u ask me, Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark is Scandinavia. n yea, difference is more historical. we share some same cultures. And how we look like, well, i would same pretty much the same, i cant tell da difference for example between Swedish and Finish :P
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

I always thought they were Scandinavian, guess not.

Euroshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Euroshinobi
Member since 2009 • 3299 Posts

Same way with non-caucasians to me...Blacks look black, asians look asians. Guess it's just the way humans are designed to recognize specific members of their own people (tribal instinct)Bobzfamily
not for me, caucasians dont really have that BIG of a change in feats between each other, sure some may say Italians but they're basicaly mixed, not technicaly all white, unless you want to count arabs as caucasian because then in that respect they dont all look the same lol

Africans, dont look like your typical American Blacks thats for sure, Brazilian blacks look nothing like your typical american blacks, but thats thanks to being mixed with Asian/White/Black combination, i can tell the difference between a Japanese, & a Indonesian, they have totally different features, besides just an eye color (with whites)

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
Finland is a Nordic country, but not necessarily a Scandinavian one.
-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
I'm Finnish. Base everything on what you've seen me do.
ic4ruz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ic4ruz
Member since 2008 • 150 Posts

I always thought that Iceland was a part of Scandinavia, and that i where an skandinavian. (since im from Iceland)

Fun fact: Icelanders are actually half norwegians and half Irish, its estimated that only 1 of every 5 women in iceland are of norwegians, the other 4 were slaves from Ireland. But all men in Iceland are from Norway, Denmark and Sweden.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FirstDiscovery
Thanks for the info guys

I always thought that Iceland was a part of Scandinavia, and that i where an skandinavian. (since im from Iceland)

Fun fact: Icelanders are actually half norwegians and half Irish, its estimated that only 1 of every 5 women in iceland are of norwegians, the other 4 were slaves from Ireland. But all men in Iceland are from Norway, Denmark and Sweden.

ic4ruz
LOLWUT IRISH? Ive always thought most Icelanders were Norwegian, but IRISH?
escapeoftheape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 escapeoftheape
finlanders are not scandinavians, like swedes, norwegians and danish people.. their language is WAY different.. they are a apart of the "nordic" countries, though! they also like to go on omegle ALOT.
Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts
[QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="Hungry_bunny"]They're Scandinavians, but with a completely different "language tree" (their language is related to Hungarian and Estonian). Finland used to be Swedish for a very long time and they're still pretty connected to their Scandinavian neighbors...plus, Swedish is their second official language.

Uhm Scandinavia is Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Nordic is Finland, Sweden, Norway and Iceland. And I believe the difference is more historical and cultural than anything else.

I know that's the technical definition... but in reality, the term doesn't feel exclusive to those countries.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
[QUOTE="Hungry_bunny"][QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="Hungry_bunny"]They're Scandinavians, but with a completely different "language tree" (their language is related to Hungarian and Estonian). Finland used to be Swedish for a very long time and they're still pretty connected to their Scandinavian neighbors...plus, Swedish is their second official language.

I know that's the technical definition... but in reality, the term doesn't feel exclusive to those countries.

The Scandinavian term? Or the nordic term? Don't mix up Northen Europe with the Nordic countries. :P As for Scandinavia. I guess you can say Finland is a part of Scandinavia, same with Iceland.