Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Favorite John Wick? (13 votes)

1 46%
2 0%
3 Parabellum 23%
4 31%

I love the entire franchise. 4 is my favorite. It is one of the best action movies I’ve ever seen. Yes it’s a bit ridiculous but it is done so well with so much planning and care that my belief is suspended. Also unlike Fast and Furious, this franchise doesn’t feel like it’s laughing at its audience and insulting my intelligence and most of it is done in camera sans CGI (the entire Vatican sequence in Fast X was done with computers).

• 
outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4232 Posts

I did see the first two movies. I don’t have a favorite because I like them both equally, despite their differences.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24936 Posts

in that order. all 4 are masterpieces and define action movie genre in modern times.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59022 Posts

The first one is the tightest. No frills. After that think it's downhill.

Prefer The Equalizer movies.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 690 Posts

never seen any of them. I am not into action movies. Are they any good? Or are they like fast and furious or James bond (shallow action only movies)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 uninspiredcup

@nirgal said:

never seen any of them. I am not into action movies. Are they any good? Or are they like fast and furious or James bond (shallow action only movies)

This. Better just watching Asian movies. It's like a cosplay of those.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34628 Posts

Saw the first and second, I think. First one was ridiculous, but somewhat entertaining. 6/10.

Second one sucked. Didn't bother with the rest.

@nirgal said:

How in the living **** can you compare F&F with James Bond? Well, maybe the later Bond movies are like that, I wouldn't know. If it aint Sean Connery or Roger Moore Bond, **** it.

Anyway, no. The Wick movies aren't especially good. Unless you want to see Keanu Reeves shooting a lot of people, I wouldn't bother. There isn't much of a story.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 690 Posts

@Litchie: I haven't seen the very early bond movies, but I have seen most of the ones from the 90s and 2000s (I gave up afterwards)

And they were always the same formulaic story about globe trotting, having casual sex, using gadgets and defeating an enemy that was obviously a bad guy while British intelligence were obviously the good guys.

Anyway, it doesn't seem anything more interesting than fast and furious.

If anything I would say that fast and furious has better set pieces and doesn't have to deal with presenting British intelligence as "the good guys".

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
@nirgal said:

@Litchie: I haven't seen the very early bond movies, but I have seen most of the ones from the 90s and 2000s (I gave up afterwards)

And they were always the same formulaic story about glove trotting, having casual sex, using gadgets and defeating an enemy that was obviously a bad guy while British intelligence were obviously the good guys.

Anyway, it doesn't seem anything more interesting than fast and furious.

If anything I would say that fast and furious has better set pieces and doesn't have to deal with presenting British intelligence as "the good guys".

Ironically (given the current state of the world and actual perception of them as villains in the franchise) Bond always made it a point not to make the Russians the bad guys.

Barring rando soldier caught up, it's almost always Spectre trying to set Russia/West against each other or someone who has actively betrayed their country.

Like for example Alec Trevelyan (Sean Bean) if bother to follow the plot-line of Goldeneye, his actual motivation against the British government is understandable. Everyone in it are defectors Britain/Russia.

Loading Video...

This is repeated again in Skyfall. Silvia has basically been driven mad.

Loading Video...

Basically in both cases the British create monsters of their own making.

Kzunec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kzunec
Member since 2023 • 6 Posts

Oh no, why are there so many votes for part 4? She is childishly naive :)
I really like the first two parts, I consider them something whole.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Litchie

Just saw Nobody. That was a better Wick movie.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1154 Posts

I've seen the second or third with my roommate who's see them all, I don't recall which one though. I thought it was a boring film and kept hoping we were close to it ending... We weren't. :/

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17663 Posts

Plausibility is always a requirement of my enjoyment of any film.

The Wick films have always pushed it to ridiculous extremes, to the point where I see a trail of 300 bodies in his wake and I end up being pulled out of the experience. The first was the best, but the latter films pushed it much too far. Yeah it’s enjoyable in spectacle, but is so laughably absurd in plausibility I lose interest.

When someone is cutting through guys like butter, it removes any sense of skill because there’s barely any opposition or struggle.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15932 Posts

The first one is the best its simple revenge story. The rest while good kinda hampered by politics.

I also think while No.4 is the 2nd best it also jumped the shark when nobody screamed when John killed atleast killed 5 guys then got thrown down few floors during the Nightclub fight.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3108 Posts

@Litchie: Nobody is a bad imitation movie mostly due to one factor: the tragic miscasting of Bob Odenkirk.

He’s a great actor but he has no physical presence, his whiny high pitched voice is perfect for Saul Goodman but not a government assassin, and he didn’t have the physical chops for the fight scenes.

Keanu Reeves might be a bad actor but he has a menacing presence and is believable as a preeminent High Table assassin.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Litchie
@GalvatronType_R said:

@Litchie: Nobody is a bad imitation movie mostly due to one factor: the tragic miscasting of Bob Odenkirk.

He’s a great actor but he has no physical presence, his whiny high pitched voice is perfect for Saul Goodman but not a government assassin, and he didn’t have the physical chops for the fight scenes.

Keanu Reeves might be a bad actor but he has a menacing presence and is believable as a preeminent High Table assassin.

I disagree. Bob was a good casting. Also liked his voice, as it made him sound really tired. Which he was supposed to be.

Wick should've died very early in the first movie as no one can dodge bullets. He's basically Superman, which is rather ridiculous. Entertaining perhaps, but extremely silly.

Nobody was somehwat believable, and not Superman. Better movie, imo. I think I would've liked the Wick movies much more when I was a kid. But now that I understand more things, not so much.