Expecting a Christmas Terrorist Attack?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

I think we will probably have one. How about you?

Merry Christmas btw.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#2 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I think someone will try.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I would hate to be a turkey this time of year.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

From a casualty point of view, it wouldn't make a lot of sense. Most terrorist attacks are designed to cause the maximum amount of casualties and that wouldn't work too well when most families are going to be at home and not out in public places to be blown up. New Year's Eve would make more sense, especially in Times Square, which is why they have so much security there.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ad1x2 said:

From a casualty point of view, it wouldn't make a lot of sense. Most terrorist attacks are designed to cause the maximum amount of casualties and that wouldn't work too well when most families are going to be at home and not out in public places to be blown up. New Year's Eve would make more sense, especially in Times Square, which is why they have so much security there.

Why did you assume automatically "America"? When I say "we"? In just the last couple of weeks both Australia and Pakistan have been attacked. Likewise: my own (tiny country) Scotland was attacked.

A cliche exists of America being self important: Oblivious to the rest of the world. This automated answer seems to feed into that.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@uninspiredcup: As always your threads are most uninspiring.

I'm not seeing any reports from DHS suggesting there's any reason to be afraid this holiday season.

And you're posting on an American board. Why wouldn't he assume you're talking about America?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

What evidence is there that there will be such an attack anywhere, be it the U.S or elsewhere? The world is oversaturated with fear-mongering as it is so there's no need for anyone to make it any worse. The number of people who are going to die because of criminal activities, traffic accidents or any kind of poisoning will unequivocally surpass the number of those that will die in a terrorist attack, both with respect to numbers and probabilities so there you go.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup

@airshocker said:

@uninspiredcup:

And you're posting on an American board. Why wouldn't he assume you're talking about America?

Actually: Gamespot is an international organization with several different URLS (i.e. UK) directly linking to this board.

Even if this was the case (which it isn't) that gamespot was purely driven at Americans. Being one of the most well known and prominent gaming websites around: it would be supremely arrogant and insulting to assume other nationalities are not prevalent.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

LOL Uninspiredcup thread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@uninspiredcup said:

@airshocker said:

@uninspiredcup:

Actually: Gamespot is an international organization with several different URLS (i.e. UK) directly linking to this board.

Even if this was the case (which it isn't) that gamespot was purely driven at Americans. Being one of the most well known and prominent gaming websites around: it would be supremely arrogant and insulting to assume other other nationalities are not prevalent.

I guess I just have a much deeper respect for human-beings than people such as yourself. This is what happens when you care.

While it has those links, it's an American company hosted in America. That makes it an American board.

No, you don't. You're just a troll. Not a very good one, either.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup

@airshocker said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@airshocker said:

@uninspiredcup:

Even if this was the case (which it isn't) that gamespot was purely driven at Americans. Being one of the most well known and prominent gaming websites around: it would be supremely arrogant and insulting to assume other other nationalities are not prevalent.

I guess I just have a much deeper respect for human-beings than people such as yourself. This is what happens when you care.

While it has those links, it's an American company hosted in America. That makes it an American board.

My friend: attempting to poorly justify it coupled with petty personal attacks doesn't stop you being wrong.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I think we will probably have one.

And what makes you think that?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@uninspiredcup said:

@airshocker said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@airshocker said:

@uninspiredcup:

My friend: attempting to poorly justify it coupled with petty personal attacks doesn't stop you being wrong.

I don't need to justify anything to you. You aren't somebody who has any credible standing within this community. Thus your opinion is pretty much worthless.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@airshocker said:

@uninspiredcup:

It's common knowledge that there are plenty non-Americans in these boards, one should ask instead of assuming =)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#15  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@ad1x2 said:

Why did you assume automatically "America"? When I say "we"? In just the last couple of weeks both Australia and Pakistan have been attacked. Likewise: my own (tiny country) Scotland was attacked.

A cliche exists of America being self important: Oblivious to the rest of the world. This automated answer seems to feed into that.

When was there a recent terrorist attack in Scotland? You mean the Glasgow lorry crash which police said was not a terrorist attack? Also, I doubt Christmas had anything to do with the terrorist attacks in Australia and Pakistan.

@airshocker said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@airshocker said:

@uninspiredcup:

GameSpot has offices, staff, mods and users in Britain and other English-speaking countries, so it's not just an American site anymore, just as Sony is not just a Japanese company anymore.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Jag85 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@ad1x2 said:

When was there a recent terrorist attack in Scotland? You mean the Glasgow lorry crash which police said was not a terrorist attack? Also, I doubt Christmas had anything to do with the terrorist attacks in Australia and Pakistan.

Didn't say (or imply) it was recent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Glasgow_International_Airport_attack

On the topic of "Christmas" specific traditional events have been targeted, namely remembrance day not too recently.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11216261/Armed-police-arrest-four-men-amid-fears-of-Islamist-Remembrance-Day-terror-plot.html

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

I think you watch too much 24.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jag85

@uninspiredcup said:

@Jag85 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@ad1x2 said:

On the topic of "Christmas" specific traditional events have been targeted, namely remembrance day not too recently.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11216261/Armed-police-arrest-four-men-amid-fears-of-Islamist-Remembrance-Day-terror-plot.html

That's not Christmas specific. As has already been mentioned, most people are at home on Christmas. It would make more sense to attack during large gatherings, like New Year. This isn't just specific to America either, but there are large gatherings in New Year across almost every major city in the world.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uninspiredcup

@Jag85 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@Jag85 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@ad1x2 said:

That's not Christmas specific. As has already been mentioned, most people are at home on Christmas. It would make more sense to attack during large gatherings, like New Year. This isn't just specific to America either, but there are large gatherings in New Year across almost every major city in the world.

Eh, Terrorism isn't simply attempted to get as many people in one area as possible. Lee Rigby was one person: targeted for a specific reason. Likewise Malala Yousafzai was one person singled out. It can be symbolic. Perceived injustice. Like the simple act of burning poppies.

Which is specifically why Remembrance Day would be targeted: to inflame as many people as possible. Christmas and New Year for most people (suicides are very high in new year) represents peace and a new beginning.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@ad1x2 said:

My post can apply to almost any country. Mentioning Times Square specifically makes sense because NYC is one of the largest cities on the planet, which makes it a ripe target for terrorists. Also, since a lot of military campaigns that go against terrorists are usually American-led they are more likely to focus their efforts on the US. Don't assume it is self-importance, assume it is common sense.

I am in no way trying to belittle any terrorist attacks that happened in your home country or in Australia. I've also worked with both British and Australian soldiers in Iraq and felt they were outstanding servicemembers. As for Pakistan, not to sound offensive, but terrorist attacks are a lot more common there with terrorist groups calling that region home and infiltrating their government. I feel bad for them but when it happens so much you become numb to the news versus hearing about it happening in more developed countries.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56105 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

LOL Uninspiredcup thread.

Thank you speedfreak. Why are we still talking about this?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Jag85 said:

@airshocker said:

GameSpot has offices, staff, mods and users in Britain and other English-speaking countries, so it's not just an American site anymore, just as Sony is not just a Japanese company anymore.

And that doesn't change the fact that CBS is an American company. GameSpot is owned by CBS Interactive. That makes this an American site. I'm not sure why people are making this a big deal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@korvus said:

@airshocker said:

@uninspiredcup:

It's common knowledge that there are plenty non-Americans in these boards, one should ask instead of assuming =)

And there are far more Americans than not. So no.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@airshocker said:

It would only take one non-American. Social graces look good on anybody =)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@korvus said:

@airshocker said:

It would only take one non-American. Social graces look good on anybody =)

It would only take one non-American...? Not sure what you mean by that.

I don't show social graces to trolls.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@airshocker said:

I meant that it would only take one non-American user posting in these forums for it to be nice if people didn't assume that everything posted here is referring to the US. And that's what I meant with social graces, not specifically towards uninspired but to all non-Americans. It's nice for us to see that Americans aren't these self-absorbed people who seem to forget there are other people sharing the planet with them =)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@korvus said:

@airshocker said:

I meant that it would only take one non-American user posting in these forums for it to be nice if people didn't assume that everything posted here is referring to the US. And that's what I meant with social graces, not specifically towards uninspired but to all non-Americans. It's nice for us to see that Americans aren't these self-absorbed people who seem to forget there are other people sharing the planet with them =)

It's very easy to feel that way when websites become so prolifically anti-American. It's becoming extremely hard to see this place as the community for all it used to be.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@airshocker: That is true, the anti-America feeling is very present in these forums and that is unfortunate, but isn't that a good reason for Americans to show that they are not anti-everywhere-else?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Probably not in the United States. It's extremely difficult to succeed in a significant terrorist attack on American soil ever since September 11th. A small single person attack is more possible but that is little more than a typical murder.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@korvus said:

@airshocker: That is true, the anti-America feeling is very present in these forums and that is unfortunate, but isn't that a good reason for Americans to show that they are not anti-everywhere-else?

Unfortunately I just don't believe this community, as it currently is, deserves that kind of turn the other cheek sort of attitude.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 uninspiredcup

Airshocker is the reason I was rooting for Hans Gruber.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@airshocker said:

Unfortunately I just don't believe this community, as it currently is, deserves that kind of turn the other cheek sort of attitude.

I can't speak for anybody else, naturally, but on my part, while I dislike some things about the US (just like I dislike things from other countries) I am, in no way, an American hater, so I have no reason to believe I'd be the only one. There are still nice people in these forums, and they are not all American =)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@uninspiredcup said:

Airshocker is the reason I was rooting for Hans Gruber.

trollololol.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

He's from the US. Of course he'll refer to his neck of the woods. You weren't being specific either.

If you wanted a reference to the world in general, then say so.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

Another thread fail....

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 uninspiredcup

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@uninspiredcup said:

He's from the US. Of course he'll refer to his neck of the woods. You weren't being specific either.

Not really a justification: I listed countries half way around the world. Major terrorism attacks have happens all over the world: shouldn't really need specified either.

For the sake of specification though: The world.

Thankfully: nothing happened and we are all safe. Having checked the news: it was mainly about a Tsunami.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Not really a justification: I listed countries half way around the world. Major terrorism attacks have happens all over the world: shouldn't really need specified either.

For the sake of specification though: The world.

Thankfully: nothing happened and we are all safe. Having checked the news: it was mainly about a Tsunami.

No. This is what you started out with. Then you jumped on his case.

I think we will probably have one. How about you?

Merry Christmas btw.

I don't see that much detail in your initial post.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 uninspiredcup

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/terrorists-attack-on-xmas-day-in-sweden-31763090/#10

Loading Video...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jag85

Got to hand it to uninspired... His prediction actually turned out to be right, for once... The only difference is that the terrorists turned out to be Christians rather than Muslims.