Ever challenge a tae kwon do guy?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts

Ever?

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#2 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Yeah, but I don't remember what happened.

sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts

yeah, he was weak as piss

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

Unless you're also a "taekwondo guy" (EDIT: Wow, I really know when to finish my quotations, don't I?) and are playing by taekwondo rules, all it takes is a kick to the sack and that mother is down for the count.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts
Unless the guy is Cung Le then yes I'd challenge him.
Penguinchow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Penguinchow
Member since 2006 • 1629 Posts
As a former tae kwon do guy and current muay thai/BJJ guy I have challenged many of them. I can testify that tae kwon do teaches weak skills with the exception of really solid kicks. Nowadays I'll either out box a tkd guy or just take him down and submit him with pretty much anything, since tkd fills your head with useless kata instead of usefull technique. Not hating, just honest perception of the style.
dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
Sure have! But that's when I was doing TKD in like the second grade. Btw that "2nd grade" comment wasn't an insult, just literally the last time I was i was in TKD. Plus i agree with the opinion of Bruce. In that the style or origin doesn't matter as long as it's effective.
Truggly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Truggly
Member since 2011 • 43 Posts

Taekwondo isn't intimidating but you also shouldn't underestimate someone.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Unless you're also a "taekwondo" guy and are playing by taekwondo rules, all it takes is a kick to the sack and that mother is down for the count.XilePrincess

Unless you're a taekwondo guy and are playing be taekwondo rules, all it takes is unholstering your sidearm.

CasualMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CasualMike
Member since 2011 • 152 Posts
a "taekwondo" guy? lol. just a guy who knows any martial arts? well i used to practice muay thai. great shin annihilating fun
Kagai13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kagai13
Member since 2010 • 571 Posts
my best friend has trained taekwondo for last 7 years I think and we often fight but as a joke, I'm a girl. never seen him actualy FIGHT. but I think he could be dangerous when fighting someone unexperienced
greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 greenskittles
Member since 2011 • 661 Posts

Yep ... me and my 5th grade brother (who does TKD), suffice to say with a 5000 inch reach advantage he was an easy beat.

TheNewEraIcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 TheNewEraIcon
Member since 2009 • 12196 Posts

Yep, knocked him out in 1 blow! he jumped off a rock and charged at me. so I just struck him hard and he went flying into a nearby body of water. I won. Just another day in the life!

:cool:

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Unless you're also a "taekwondo" guy and are playing by taekwondo rules, all it takes is a kick to the sack and that mother is down for the count.XilePrincess
This, competitive fighting styles aren't all that effective if the other person dosn't play by the rules.
Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
Tae-kwon-do is a awful martial art.
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts

As a former tae kwon do guy and current muay thai/BJJ guy I have challenged many of them. I can testify that tae kwon do teaches weak skills with the exception of really solid kicks. Nowadays I'll either out box a tkd guy or just take him down and submit him with pretty much anything, since tkd fills your head with useless kata instead of usefull technique. Not hating, just honest perception of the style.Penguinchow

This. Once at school my friend that had been boxing for less than a year challenged a guy that had been doing Tae Kwon Do for about seven. My mate, the boxer, whipped his ass. I did Karate for a while when I was younger and even then thought it probably wasn't that useful in a real life fight beyond having practice and some technique to punching and kicking. Years later I'm a huge MMA fan.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

As a former tae kwon do guy and current muay thai/BJJ guy I have challenged many of them. I can testify that tae kwon do teaches weak skills with the exception of really solid kicks. Nowadays I'll either out box a tkd guy or just take him down and submit him with pretty much anything, since tkd fills your head with useless kata instead of usefull technique. Not hating, just honest perception of the style.Penguinchow

TKD has a few solid kicks, but other than that it really lacks in a lot of categories. Was learning it for about a year then it wasn't my style (and didn't have time for it).

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 m25105

I'd fight three Taek kwon do guys, then go up against this guy.

So a better question is, would you ever challenge a muay thai fighter?

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

yes i challenge my self every day.

but my brazilian jiu jitsu self always seems to win.funny how that works

but my 3rd half that uses both always beats the two.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
No but I wouldn't mind fighting one some day. Just for the lulz, nothing serious.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Palantas

m25105

Sure. See my above post.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Challenge him to what? fisticuffs or mario kart perhaps?

sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

Yep(my brother)

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

Yeah. He's dead now.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Palantas

Yeah. He's dead now.

Jagged3dge

:lol: I like this.

Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Drakes_Fortune
Member since 2009 • 5259 Posts
Everyday.
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Yea I used rex kwon do

Works every time.

Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 Fundai
Member since 2010 • 6120 Posts

I know This one 3rd degree blackbelt who also goes to my fenicng class and shool. I've fenced him, but have never legitimately fought with him. however i tend to be his "volunteer" when He wants to try new tae Kwon do moves... :l

I always beat him on the fencing strip thoughh :twisted:

(well maybe 65% of the time)

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
I spar against a Tae-Kwon-Do girl a lot; she's one of the best martial artists I know (2nd degree black in that, currently a green belt in Isshin-Ryu). Long reach and leg control makes it hard to get in close unless if I find an opening, and she's used Isshin-Ryu to fill in some of those gaps that were there when she started. She scratched my upper lip once when I tried to duck under a kick... didn't quite work.
XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

I actually was in Taekwondo for about six years, won gold in the provincials in my country and it's funny how useless and impractical it is in an actual fight 75% of the time.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

If the person is well trained enough in martial arts, they'll block it and beat the crap out of anyone who tries to do that.

Truggly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Truggly

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]Unless you're also a "taekwondo" guy and are playing by taekwondo rules, all it takes is a kick to the sack and that mother is down for the count.lensflare15

If the person is well trained enough in martial arts, they'll block it and beat the crap out of anyone who tries to do that.

You're overglorifying martial arts, no matter how perfect the person is in whatever style or technique they choose to pursue, that doesn't mean they are invincible to someone who gets in a lucky kick or doesn't mind breaking your neck to avoid the fancy Jackie Chan bull. ^^

CasualMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CasualMike
Member since 2011 • 152 Posts

m25105
No. **** no.
Truggly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Truggly

[QUOTE="m25105"]

CasualMike

No. **** no.

+1 vote for HELL NO

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#35 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
taekwondo is actually pretty weak when you are "free for all" the thing with taek wondo is that they charge you A LOT of money when you are ranking up (belt) and in the exam, they use special sheets on the dummies, so that it sounds like a thunder when they kick it...but its all an illusion its just to make the guy believe he is super awesome and has the indestructible leg of zen or something like that
Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts
In tournys during middle school. Gave up on that and started Wing Chun. Belts are good for holding your pants up.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Depends on how good he is, and no.
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

Yes. Tae Kwon Do is terrible. I would say it's even a handicap in a street fight. They teach how to fight for points by touching the other person once. You also get time to stand back up in a fight after falling to the ground trying some incredible stupid jump kick that would never ever work. That stuff is only for the movies.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Palantas

Yes. Tae Kwon Do is terrible. I would say it's even a handicap in a street fight.

sleepingzzz

I dunno about that. It seems to me that any training is better than no training.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#40 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

[QUOTE="sleepingzzz"]

Yes. Tae Kwon Do is terrible. I would say it's even a handicap in a street fight.

Palantas

I dunno about that. It seems to me that any training is better than no training.

This. Tae Kwon Do can be brutal if you know some other type of martial arts. The kicks are definitely solid though. I remember my cousin got axe kicked in a tournament and his shoulder was broken along with his neck. Very painful. Most schools don't take it seriously nowadays but it can hurt ass if you were taught right.
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

[QUOTE="sleepingzzz"]

Palantas

Well, it's better than sitting in front of the TV and eating Twinkies but, you're better off strength training and building up cardio by going to the gym than doing TKD. I would take a guy that's fit and strong and has won several street fights over TKD guy that has been doing it for years.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Palantas

Well, it's better than sitting in front of the TV and eating Twinkies but, you're better off strength training and building up cardio by going to the gym than doing TKD. I would take a guy that's fit and strong and has won several street fights over TKD guy that has been doing it for years.

sleepingzzz

I'm not going to call that fight without more information, but most people do sit in front of their TV and eat junk food. If two people are in comparable physical condition, the one who has had some training in striking should have an advantage. I kinda think of fitness and martial arts training as separate dimensions. If we're going to start mixing in really different ways to handle conflict, I'll go back to my earlier post and say the best way to defend yourself is to get some professional firearms instruction.

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

At my mma gym I've sparred with a guy that's trained in it.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
TKD, like any martial art, is only as applicable as how you're taught. If you're taught how to spar in the ring and how to kick high, that's what you'll do in a fight. If you're taught how to fight and how to properly use those techniques if someone really wants to fight you, it's a completely different application. In IRK, what I do for sparring has little application in a real fight, except when it comes to dodging. In sparring I'm supposed to hit a legal target and pull. If someone wants to hurt me or someone I care about, legal targets aren't the concern. Most people who have had trouble using martial arts in a real fight have only been taught how to use those in controlled martial arts matches or situations.
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shadowchronicle
Also I'm going to point out that around 50 years ago Tae Kwon Doe was taken very seriously and wasn't just an olympics sport. The fact that it is promoted and misused and popular makes it noticeable. While I do appreciate mma players, many of them do not know that Tae Kwon Doe is not really a sport where you end up breaking every bone in the body. It used to be that way but now its just an art. I'm sure if you went to where it was originated from you'd probably learn seriously.
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 m25105
[QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]Also I'm going to point out that around 50 years ago Tae Kwon Doe was taken very seriously and wasn't just an olympics sport. The fact that it is promoted and misused and popular makes it noticeable. While I do appreciate mma players, many of them do not know that Tae Kwon Doe is not really a sport where you end up breaking every bone in the body. It used to be that way but now its just an art. I'm sure if you went to where it was originated from you'd probably learn seriously.

Then they should prove it. Other than Cung Le I can't recall any good tae kwon do fighters. I remember watching a tae kwon do fighter competing against a muay thai fighter and he got owned hard. It just strikes me as flashy kicks meant to look impressive and not much else.
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Shadowchronicle
[QUOTE="m25105"][QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]Also I'm going to point out that around 50 years ago Tae Kwon Doe was taken very seriously and wasn't just an olympics sport. The fact that it is promoted and misused and popular makes it noticeable. While I do appreciate mma players, many of them do not know that Tae Kwon Doe is not really a sport where you end up breaking every bone in the body. It used to be that way but now its just an art. I'm sure if you went to where it was originated from you'd probably learn seriously.

Then they should prove it. Other than Cung Le I can't recall any good tae kwon do fighters. I remember watching a tae kwon do fighter competing against a muay thai fighter and he got owned hard. It just strikes me as flashy kicks meant to look impressive and not much else.

Go to korea and I'm sure you'll find some people with not just flashy kicks. Tae Kwon Do is an olympics sports nowadays. If it was taken seriously and there was no belt levels it would be dangerous sport, now its used for showing off.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
those are all scams.
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 m25105
[QUOTE="shadowchronicle"][QUOTE="m25105"][QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]Also I'm going to point out that around 50 years ago Tae Kwon Doe was taken very seriously and wasn't just an olympics sport. The fact that it is promoted and misused and popular makes it noticeable. While I do appreciate mma players, many of them do not know that Tae Kwon Doe is not really a sport where you end up breaking every bone in the body. It used to be that way but now its just an art. I'm sure if you went to where it was originated from you'd probably learn seriously.

Go to korea and I'm sure you'll find some people with not just flashy kicks. Tae Kwon Do is an olympics sports nowadays. If it was taken seriously and there was no belt levels it would be dangerous sport, now its used for showing off.

Again if it was that effective Cung Le wouldn't be the sole Tae Kwon Do fighter holding up the flag in MMA.
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shadowchronicle
You can keep on saying that but it could be a dangerous sport if wasn't so mainstream and was used for the olympics. EDIT: I'm not saying its the best sport out there, but some research would help before automatically assuming that its a joke. As mailer said people that have trained in it have mainly trained for competitions and not real fights.