Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 687 Posts

Best movie I have seen for the last 5 years.

Loved it story wise , visually and more than anything sound wise.

What an amazing sound direction this movie has.

If you haven't watch it yet, watch it at the cinema just because of the sound.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#3 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26102 Posts

Saw it at a Fan First event the weekend before it released; really great movie.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7276 Posts

Loved it. I thought the first was great, and I liked the second one more. It did a good job breaking down the socio-political stuff from the books into digestible tidbits that worked in a movie. Great visuals and sound design too. See this in theaters if you can.

Been debating some other fans about how much they narrowed the scope compared to the books, but they had to for this to work. The books are too damn dense for a direct adaptation. Got to focus on what can be made interesting on film, and they did great work in that regard.

I just hope they make a fourth movie after the next, because Messiah is not a good stopping point.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 687 Posts

@judaspete: isn't it messiah to long for just one movie ? I assumed they would also make 2 for that book.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 judaspete

@nirgal: Messiah is the shortest Dune book, about half the length of the first one. The Sci-Fi Channel's miniseries, Children of Dune, covered Messiah in it's first two episodes pretty well.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58336 Posts

@judaspete said:

Loved it. I thought the first was great, and I liked the second one more. It did a good job breaking down the socio-political stuff from the books into digestible tidbits that worked in a movie. Great visuals and sound design too. See this in theaters if you can.

Been debating some other fans about how much they narrowed the scope compared to the books, but they had to for this to work. The books are too damn dense for a direct adaptation. Got to focus on what can be made interesting on film, and they did great work in that regard.

I just hope they make a fourth movie after the next, because Messiah is not a good stopping point.

They stopped the first movie at the perfect point in my opinion. Any further and they'd have to keep going too far to get to the next stopping point.

No, they chose wisely: House Atreides was defeated, the Harkonnens and Emperor won, and Paul and Jessica met the Fremen and Paul gained acceptance after defeating Jamis.

It was arguably the most satisfying ending to a film I knew would have multiple parts. I was content, I didn't demand more.

@judaspete said:

@nirgal: Messiah is the shortest Dune book, about half the length of the first one. The Sci-Fi Channel's miniseries, Children of Dune, covered Messiah in it's first two episodes pretty well.

Yeah the Sci-Fi channel series was somewhat decent, if you view it more like a Broadway play than a miniseries. Doesn't have the production values of an HBO or Netflix series, nor the acting of a major production, but they were good enough.

I think the first two books (Dune and Dune Messiah) could be done in three movies, though it might make sense to do four.

I really hope they do the whole book series, but especially Heretics and Chapterhouse.

I see it like this:

• Dune - two movies
  • Dune Messiah - one-two movies
  • Children of Dune - two movies
    • End Children of Dune with Leto becoming the sandworm/God Emperor, and then maybe flash forward 3500 years to set it up for the next movie.
  • God Emperor of Dune - I don't know if this really needs it's own movie. It's so much philosophical and religious stuff. It's an interesting read but I think maybe they could just dedicate 30 minutes summarizing what Leto II was trying to do and sort of kickstart the "Golden Path trilogy", which leads me to...
  • ...Heretics of Dune - one or two movies
  • Chapterhouse Dune - One or two movies.

Basically I think you can sort of have an "original Dune saga" that is 4-5 films and covers Paul and his kids when they're younger, and then you can have a "Golden Path saga" that is 3-4 films and is set ~3500 years after original Dune.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 judaspete

@mrbojangles25: Ha! Agree with your takes here. I know I keep repeating this, but I'll say it again anyway. God Emperor is the most important book in the series (it's kind of the whole point), but it's also the worst Dune book. You should only read it if you are reeeeally into the lore, philosophy, and world building. Folks said Dune was unfilmable for decades, but no, God Emperor is the one that should never be attempted. A true adaptation would make for a terrible movie. A synopsis at the end of Children or begining of Heretics would be the way to go.

Heretics and Chapterhouse could probably be one movie apiece though. People joke about the early books have a lot of inner monologue, but the last two are like 70% Taraza reminiscing on past conversations her current conversation reminded her of. I swear there were a few times she had a flashback within a flashback even. A lot of that info will have to be cut, or presented in some other way.

Oh, and I would love to see the studio try to keep these PG 13.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58336 Posts

@judaspete said:

@mrbojangles25: Ha! Agree with your takes here. I know I keep repeating this, but I'll say it again anyway. God Emperor is the most important book in the series (it's kind of the whole point), but it's also the worst Dune book. You should only read it if you are reeeeally into the lore, philosophy, and world building. Folks said Dune was unfilmable for decades, but no, God Emperor is the one that should never be attempted. A true adaptation would make for a terrible movie. A synopsis at the end of Children or begining of Heretics would be the way to go.

Heretics and Chapterhouse could probably be one movie apiece though. People joke about the early books have a lot of inner monologue, but the last two are like 70% Taraza reminiscing on past conversations her current conversation reminded her of. I swear there were a few times she had a flashback within a flashback even. A lot of that info will have to be cut, or presented in some other way.

Oh, and I would love to see the studio try to keep these PG 13.

I think they could do it. It wouldn't be true to the book as far as the narrative mechanics go, but so long as the overall story elements are intact I don't see a problem redoing it (i.e. no interior monologue).

Then the last bit they could toss in the old couple and show them as Omnius and Erasmus at the very end, basically queuing up the potential for a Butlerian Jihad prequel. I might be misremembering that bit, though. It's been a while since I've read the later novels.

Part of me would hate to see the Dune novels get the MCU treatment, but at the same time I can really see them getting at least 15 movies and 20+ years of content out of them. And I'd eat it up.

Some of those prequel books written by Brian Herbert and Anderson were kind of lame but it was still Dune and I therefore loved it haha. I want to see them brought to the big screen. Or maybe even make it a series, I think a series about the Butlerian Jihad would be fun. I'll take movies though.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 judaspete

@mrbojangles25: Might happen. Apparently they are working on an early days of the Bene Gesserit TV show. Butlerian Jihad would be a great premise for a series though. I've thought of reading Brian Herbert's book about it, but I didn't make it very far into Dune: House Atredis before giving up. Wouldn't say he's a bad writer, but Frank Herbert is a hard act to follow.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

I liked both movies but in a surprise twist I like part 1 more.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 KathaarianCode  Online
Member since 2022 • 3414 Posts

After my disappointment with the first movie I'm not rushing to this one.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44570 Posts

I grabbed it digitally last night but couldn't watch it as I had to get to bed for work, let it play some while I fell asleep and liked what I did watch. The plot pace is quicker for sure, typically his films feel like slow burns.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#14 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19555 Posts

Still haven't seen the first movie.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44570 Posts

While I enjoyed it, I'm also disappointed. This film covers a lot of territory so quickly. It wouldn't surprise me a year from now they release a 5 hour director's cut. It would have been better off as a mini-series but I guess the planning for this was ill conceived from the start. They didn't even get the green light for Part 2 until after the first film released. Sloppy production planning. This movie reeks of all the consequences of those Hollywood strikes... okay, still enjoyed it, but could have been better.