Does your local McDonald's make your community a better place

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

Poll Does your local McDonald's make your community a better place (30 votes)

Yes 10%
No it doesn't really make much difference 57%
It makes it worse! 33%

So I was filling out one of those McDonald's surveys in order to get a validation code to present for a buy-one-get-one-free Quarter Pounder or Egg McMuffin, and one of the questions (I think it's a new question, I don't recall seeing it before) was whether I feel that that particular McDonald's restaurant makes the local community a better place.

So do you guys think that your local McDonald's makes your community a better place?

I'd say overall it does, it creates jobs and gives people a place to buy food quick and with options that are quite cheap.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#1 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Well, in here (Netherlands) McDonald's is one of the most expensive places to get food...even more expensive than certain restaurants. That being said, their foundation helps a lot of people, they always have some action going on to help children, and they pay their employees a fair wager (same hourly wager you'd get somewhere else...it's a "real job" here, not a summer "get some bucks" occupation)

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I ate McDonalds* for lunch 5 days a week for over a month and lost 13lbs.

Explain that.

*and we're not talking about salad here, I got a double quarter pounder and a large fries. Must have been 1400 calories at least.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

No it doesn't. The McDonalds where I live pays people crap wage (minimum), makes workers expendable and the food is cheap filth.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@RadecSupreme: but minimum wage and cheap filth is better than no wage and no food, right?

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RadecSupreme

@whipassmt: That would be the case if there were no options but there are plenty of options. Threatening no wage is no reason to pay people shit. Making them work for something they can't survive on just seems like fucked up morals based on corporate greed for more profit.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@RadecSupreme said:

@whipassmt: That would be the case if there were no options but there are plenty of options.

Yeah you can always eat and work at Burger King.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

My community is already a great place, and if there was no McDonalds we'd just go to the hundreds of other restaurants located around here. So no, it doesn't really make it a better place.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By whipassmt

@RadecSupreme: I don't see McDonald's booksheets so I don't know how much more they can afford to pay their workers. Also I think some McDonald's restaurants are franchises, so those ones might make their own wage decisions.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@RadecSupreme said:

No it doesn't. The McDonalds where I live pays people crap wage (minimum), makes workers expendable and the food is cheap filth.

Dude, that's every McDonald's. I like some of the food, but it is a bit pricey, I mean, $7 for a burger and fries? I usually just order off the dollar menu there.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gamerguru100

To answer TC's question, I live in a suburb of 62,000 people, so there is obviously more than one McDonald's, and it doesn't affect the community at all. I mean, it's just another generic fast food place in suburban America. How would it have much impact?

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RadecSupreme

@Storm_Marine: Or Chipotle....

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

lol nope.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

It is disgusting and should be closed for violating food safety standards.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 whipassmt

@BranKetra: is your local McDonald's routinely violating food safety standards? I wonder if the McDonald's corporation can force that local McDonald's to either clean up their act (i.e. maybe get new management) or stop using the McDonald's image and logo, in order to preserve the company's image.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 branketra

@whipassmt said:

@BranKetra: is your local McDonald's routinely violating food safety standards? I wonder if the McDonald's corporation can force that local McDonald's to either clean up their act (i.e. maybe get new management) or stop using the McDonald's image and logo, in order to preserve the company's image.

Yes. They are a franchise McDonald's, so that makes dealing with them pointlessly difficult as you have to jump through hoops, so to speak, to talk with the proper authorities within McDonald's.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@RadecSupreme said:

@whipassmt: That would be the case if there were no options but there are plenty of options. Threatening no wage is no reason to pay people shit. Making them work for something they can't survive on just seems like fucked up morals based on corporate greed for more profit.

I think the thing to remember is that if the people taking the McDonalds job had better options, they probably wouldn't be working at McDonalds. Sure there are probably businesses in the area that pay more than McDonalds. So...why exactly are these employees working at McDonalds instead of those other jobs? You can't really present something as a valid option if people tried that option and got rejected. That'd be like me saying that I always have the option of being a rock star.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrGeezer

@BranKetra said:
@whipassmt said:

Yes. They are a franchise McDonald's, so that makes dealing with them pointlessly difficult as you have to jump through hoops, so to speak, to talk with the proper authorities within McDonald's.

If they're violating food safety standards, why would you bother going to the authorities within McDonalds? I don't know how it is in other countries, but in the USA the food industry is sort of subject to outside regulation. Bringing up your complaints to McDonalds might not have any impact since McDonalds is making money. But isn't there someone else you could complain to? Maybe snap some pics (seeing as how everyone's phone has a camera these days)? But I was basically under the impression that if you're running a restaurant, you're subject to food safety regulations from whatever external agency handles that stuff. That's precisely why people go around inspecting restaurants for violations. If your McDonalds is violating food safety standards, why would you bring that up with the authorities within McDonalds instead of going straight to your local public health agency?

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

If by better you mean fatter, then probably. If by better you actually mean better, then certainly not...

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

Haven't gone to a McDonald's in over a year now so I don't really have the opportunity to see if it's been making the community a better place. That being said I didn't see it doing so when I was going there.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 branketra

@MrGeezer: I got advice that I should not have followed. It is as simple as that.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrGeezer

@BranKetra said:

@MrGeezer: I got advice that I should not have followed. It is as simple as that.

Okay...so now hopefully you're actually going to file a complaint through the proper channels, right? I'm just saying, that's the kind of thing that deserves to be followed, because people actually DIE due to violations of food safety regulations. So you got bad advice and filed a complaint with McDonalds, I just hope that you at least followed up on that once you realized that was bad advice.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#23 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Storm_Marine: you still created a calorie deficiet, you can do that regardless what type of food you eat.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

My country's Mcd didn't grew much to my appeal,despite serving its chicken with rice(I hoped this is the one and only place to serve it) I can see the reason why I don't go there anymore since the nearest Mcd closed and got a replacement...better be worth it,I expect a Korean fast food chain that would fill it.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

it allows me to get mcnuggets easily. so it improves my existence marginally

as far as the community as a whole, i have no idea

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 branketra

@MrGeezer: I am not really sure who to talk to about this.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

The McDonalds here gives free gift cards to cancer patients...

I haven't used mine yet. I never eat McD.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

We don't have a local McDonalds... Their food is terrible anyway so I don't really care. I'd just go to a pub if I want a decent burger and chips and can't be arsed to cook myself. Then I can get a nice ale with it too.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I think we might be asking too much of a fast food restaurant, I mean they usually can't get my drink order right so I'm not holding out for miracles.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 branketra

@thegerg said:
@BranKetra said:

@MrGeezer: I am not really sure who to talk to about this.

Where do you live? Contact information for public health agencies are generally quite easy to find. We can help.

I shall send you a PM about that.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gamerguru100

@Gaming-Planet: LOL that's ironic as ****

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Unhealthy fast food should at least taste good and be cheap, neither of which McDonald's has going for them. The staff they hire are pretty worthless too, they all seem to embody this kind of lethargic disposition you really only see at methadone clinics.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#36 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

@PernicioEnigma said:

If by better you mean fatter, then probably.

this ^

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

The concept of corporate social responsibility is usually laughable: they pray on the country with their dubious business policies and employment practices and then trickle bits back to the community. My guess is that McDonald is no different.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Mcdonalds here in Greece is really cheap and it has no force over the community.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

There's no McDonald's where I live and also no sense on community. Not sure if there's a connection.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RadecSupreme

@MrGeezer said:
@RadecSupreme said:

I think the thing to remember is that if the people taking the McDonalds job had better options, they probably wouldn't be working at McDonalds. Sure there are probably businesses in the area that pay more than McDonalds. So...why exactly are these employees working at McDonalds instead of those other jobs? You can't really present something as a valid option if people tried that option and got rejected. That'd be like me saying that I always have the option of being a rock star.

Or perhaps McDonalds should pay people more livable wages. You want people to go around looking for better jobs and fail to take in the fact that there's a large population and option becomes limited. It's ridiculous to not even think about fixing a system that is pretty obviously broken.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MrGeezer

@RadecSupreme said:

Or perhaps McDonalds should pay people more livable wages. You want people to go around looking for better jobs and fail to take in the fact that there's a large population and option becomes limited. It's ridiculous to not even think about fixing a system that is pretty obviously broken.

Why should they when they don't need to? They pay at least minimum wage, and that's enough to get them the labor that they need. Do you think they're supposed to be a charity or something?

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@RadecSupreme said:
@MrGeezer said:
@RadecSupreme said:

There's one unfortunate fact in the corporate world that apparently most who feel this way are missing or avoiding. It's that employees exist only as assets to and are consequences to producing goods and services. In other words, they only exist to make the investors money. That is the only reason they have a job period. You invest money to make money so in order to do that, you are required to spend that investment into anything that goes into maximizing your returns. Part of which is hiring people to run the registers inside the building..etc you just invested in.

If McD employees want more money, they should try investing in McD's or even themselves. Not sit there and wait for a hand out. Now you are right that the system is very well broken, it's also backwards in many respects thanks to lobbying, greed..etc. But you can't blame corporations because they answer to the major shareholders. It's a system that's been designed to maintain the correct population percentages for each class. If you have too many or too few poor, it screws up the economy. Too many or few wealthy screws up the balances of power, job creators..etc. So there are many places that lack any opportunities for the poor to get out of their situation. Likewise there are businesses allowed to confuse and feed off of consumer's greed or ignorance....such as high interest loans that they obviously can never pay back for example. When a minimum wage employee can take out $10k + easily with only $15 payment a month, their own greed ignores the math with the interest so they go into serious debt which provides more jobs such as debt collectors and of course which the bank then often sells or auctioned off the loan so you have a whole circle jerk thing going on just in that area of our society.

But point is, increasing wages just raises everything else, it really doesn't solve any problems. The poor will still be poor just like they are now when it went from $4.25/hr to $7.15...nothing really changed because inflation goes right along with it.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

The food market, so Macdonals, bring major problem in community. Guys that now pee and other that get fat and waste their life. To not count the teeth problems and all the rest of the bad health problems bring the food.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 RadecSupreme

@MrGeezer said:
@RadecSupreme said:

Why should they when they don't need to? They pay at least minimum wage, and that's enough to get them the labor that they need. Do you think they're supposed to be a charity or something?

Paying people enough money for them to live constitutes a charity? You seem so infatuated to defending the corporate business practices...

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrGeezer

@RadecSupreme said:

Paying people enough money for them to live constitutes a charity? You seem so infatuated to defending the corporate business practices...

Let me answer that question with this scenario...

People give away money all the time. People donate to disaster relief, cancer research, education, whatever. People are absolutely happy to just give away money to a worthy cause. So...why exactly should mcDonalds pay their workers more? If it's such a travesty that the fry cook and the cashier at McDonalds aren't getting paid a living wage, then you're entirely free to set up a charity wherein people donate money to McDonalds employees. Let's see how that works for you.

Bottom line is that, no, McDonalds ISN'T in any way obligated to pay their workers a "living wage". They're obligated to pay their workers at least minimum wage, which they do. If that's not enough, get the minimum wage raised. But McDonalds wages, at least for entry level positions, are pretty much in line with what's normal for the industry. I'm not sure why you're trying to paint one single company in an entire industry as the villain, when it's the LAW that says that companies are allowed to pay that little. McDonalds doesn't set the wage laws, dude. That's not defending corporate practices, that's just how shit works. If I feel that a company is underpaying their workers, then I might boycott that company. What I DON'T do is go and buy a $6 combo meal and then hand the worker $20 on the side to put towards their utility bills. If a company charges $10 for a good or service, most people generally don't give out an extra $10 just for the hell of it. Similarly, if an employee agrees to work for $9 an hour, most companies aren't just gonna double that wage if they're already happy with the quality of labor that such a wage provides.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Did you really fill out a McDonald's survey to get a coupon?

Come on man...have some self respect.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts
@GazaAli said:

The concept of corporate social responsibility is usually laughable: they pray on the country with their dubious business policies and employment practices and then trickle bits back to the community. My guess is that McDonald is no different.

You are generalizing. You have no idea what many corporations do/don't do with regards to giving back to their communities and giving to charity.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Well it does provide some entertainment when Tourists from the US walks in and are baffled that they can't pay with dollars.

But beyond that, it's simply there as a place to grab a quick meal.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@magicalclick said:

No, because it attracts poor people. But, that could be said to Jack in the box. And Burger King is close to non-existence. Can't blame them for selling cheap food that attracts poor people. I like their chicken nuggets.

Sensational