Does being an accident still have a negative spin?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Like if your parents had no plans on having you, but your mom got pregnant by accident. Is it something parents should keep hidden from their children if they are an accident? Should kids feel any different if they found out they weren't planned? I kinda don't think it should have the negative spin it does, I mean, it's natural. Sure it may mean a lot more if you were planned, but being an accident should not change the way you see your folks I guess.
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Happened to a friend of mine, the condom broke and he was the result..
Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
A lot of kids are accidents,its funny to call them accidents
Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

It's difficult for me to empathize as I was planned, but I think some still do feel that way?

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
sex is never an accident.....
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

I asked my mum once why she had kids (my sister and I) and she said something to the effect of "I was getting older" which I found to be a little insulting. >.>

I imagine being called "an accident" would be insulting because it's almost the same as being called a "mistake" vs simply being told you were "unplanned".

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#7 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Billions of years of evolution has married bundles of nerves woven into pleasure centers to the mechanisms for expelling or sponging up gametes for the purpose of reproduction. The resulting propagation of the species is therefore not an accident and none of us can be accidents. Except in the sense, of course, that all of nature is possibly an accident, and in that case we're all accidents. It's everyone or no one, folks.

EDIT: I guess I could make a concession to calling someone an accident if their parents happened to live in a nudist colony and accidentally ran into each other at just the right angle. But that's too rare, I assume, to apply to this question.

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts

Billions of years of evolution has married bundles of nerves woven into pleasure centers to the mechanisms for expelling or sponging up gametes for the purpose of reproduction. The resulting propagation of the species is therefore not an accident and none of us can be accidents. Except in the sense, of course, that all of nature is possibly an accident, and in that case we're all accidents. It's everyone or no one, folks.

EDIT: I guess I could make a concession to calling someone an accident if their parents happened to live in a nudist colony and accidentally ran into each other at just the right angle. But that's too rare, I assume, to apply to this question.

m0zart
If a woman has a 1 night stand with some man she'll never talk to again and gets pregnant the kid is a mistake.
black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts

It doesn't matter unless you want it to. I know I was an accident, but that doesn't change the fact that, whether my parents of anyone else wanted it or not, I'm here and I'm going to make the most of it.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 m0zart

[QUOTE="m0zart"]

Bucked20

If a woman has a 1 night stand with some man she'll never talk to again and gets pregnant the kid is a mistake.

No way hosea! That little tryst was fully "intended" by nature. We didn't develop these special feelings just so we could have a fun thing to do with the opposite sex.

Unless of course you meant "accident" in the sense that nature doesn't really intend anything. In that case, I'd agree, but I'd stipulate that everyone else is also that kind of accident.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
Unless your mom had to become a stripper to support you or your dad started selling drugs to pay for a home for you, no, it really doesn't need to be seen as negative later on. The only reason some accidents might have a long-term negativity attached to them is if the parents hate each other for whatever reason and are not together or if you were the product of a one-night stand or abusive relationship. An oopsababy between two mature adults in a relationship isn't negative at all, IMO, especially if they are able to support the child. I felt far more awkward hearing I took a year to make after my parents had started trying than I would have had they said I was an accident.
black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts

[QUOTE="Bucked20"][QUOTE="m0zart"]

m0zart

No way hosea! That little tryst was fully "intended" by nature. We didn't develop these special feelings just so we could have a fun thing to do with the opposite sex.

Unless of course you meant "accident" in the sense that nature doesn't really intend anything. In that case, I'd agree, but I'd stipulate that everyone else is also that kind of accident.

Maybe that's what nature intended, but as humans we have different plans. I think my girlfriend put it best: "Humans shut down the baby factory and replaced it with an amusement park." ;)

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts
sex is never an accident.....surrealnumber5
maybe not, but when contraceptives fail having a baby was clearly not part of the plan. Hence the accident happened.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 m0zart

Maybe that's what nature intended, but as humans we have different plans. I think my girlfriend put it best: "Humans shut down the baby factory and replaced it with an amusement park." ;) black_cat19

Heh such conceit from those pesky humans. They only think they conquered nature, which put the baby factory in place and made it look like an amusement park.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
who cares, be glad you're alive or don't
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
who cares, be glad you're alive or don'tevildead6789
That's how I think it should be seen.
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts

sex is never an accident.....surrealnumber5

One day you will (/might) find that having a baby is not the goal of sex.

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts
I didnt ask and I dont really care to know, but I have a feeling I am, but they don't regret it at this point.
Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Matthew-first
Member since 2005 • 3318 Posts

Actually EARTH is an accident and all the things you see around... (a big meteorite hit earth long time ago so we have moon...)
but yeah...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

If your parents didn't want you then they would have aborted you. So not being planned doesn't mean anything

cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts

If your parents didn't want you then they would have aborted you. So not being planned doesn't mean anything

toast_burner

Now don't start that up.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 m0zart

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

cheese_game619

Now don't start that up.

It depends on how old you are. Unless my parents took a long and expensive trip to New York or California, it would have been illegal for them to do it :P

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]sex is never an accident.....Serraph105
maybe not, but when contraceptives fail having a baby was clearly not part of the plan. Hence the accident happened.

inherent risk of sex, unless youre gay if both partners fail to take this into consideration being stupid is no excuse IMO
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]sex is never an accident.....cheese_game619

One day you will (/might) find that having a baby is not the goal of sex.

one day..... WTF are you talking about? i love sex and dont want a kid, but that does not mean i ignore the risk.
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#25 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

I was an accident but I don't care.

DDRMom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DDRMom
Member since 2008 • 1360 Posts

Accident seems like such an ugly word when it comes to children. I prefer the term surprise because while an accident is something you didn't want to happen, a surprise is something that you didn't know you wanted until you got it.

My 2 oldest children were surprises but the reality is, most babies are surprises.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Well it's certainly not something I would tell the kid, I mean, good grief. Why? That's just thoughtless and pointless. But I don't think it makes any difference as far as how people feel. I mean, there's nothing the kid could do about it obviously. And the fact that the parents didn't plan on having them hardly has anything to do with how they feel about them afterwards.

chandlerr_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: -2

#29 chandlerr_360
Member since 2006 • 5078 Posts

Well if you consider sex conception, which everyone should (not that they do), then there is no such thing as an "accident". Sex is not an accident.

When having sex, you should always be aware of the potentional effects it may have. Modern society does not take sex and child birth nearly seriously enough.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Happened to a friend of mine, the condom broke and he was the result..Bloodseeker23

But, why on Earth would you tell your kid that?

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
I prefer to think I was conceived in a moment of passion.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts
I'd imagine it depends on the individuals perspective and the relationship with the parents....
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="Serraph105"] maybe not, but when contraceptives fail having a baby was clearly not part of the plan. Hence the accident happened.thegerg

inherent risk of sex, unless youre gay if both partners fail to take this into consideration being stupid is no excuse IMO

Simply because having a child is a result of having sex doesn't mean that having a kid is never an accident. Urinating is a result of drinking beer, but pissing on yourself standing at the bar is still an accident.

sorry if i dont share your relaxed view on responsibility and cause and effect, this might also be why i argue a lot less on what is "fair" then you do.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] Simply because having a child is a result of having sex doesn't mean that having a kid is never an accident. Urinating is a result of drinking beer, but pissing on yourself standing at the bar is still an accident.

thegerg

sorry if i dont share your relaxed view on responsibility and cause and effect, this might also be why i argue a lot less on what is "fair" then you do.

What makes you think you know my views on responsibility and cause and effect?

the words you type, what else would i use to judge a person on a forum?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts
no.. prob like half the population of the planet could be classified as accidents.. people like to get busy and the result of that a lot of the time is you end up with more people..
chandlerr_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: -2

#39 chandlerr_360
Member since 2006 • 5078 Posts
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="chandlerr_360"]

Well if you consider sex conception, which everyone should (not that they do), then there is no such thing as an "accident". Sex is not an accident.

When having sex, you should always be aware of the potentional effects it may have. Modern society does not take sex and child birth nearly seriously enough.

You seem to be confused, sex is not conception.

What I mean, from a personal responsibility standpoint is, that when having sex you basically need to assume that it will result in the birth of a child. So before you rush and have sex like an idiot, you need to make sure that 1) the person you are having sex with is also personally responsible and willing the handle the very real possibility of a newborn child, 2) you can financially and emotionally support and new human being into the world, and 3) be able to accept the reality of raising a child for 20 or so long years with the person. Sex is a very dangerous and real "recreational" activity. We are talking about creating a brand new human life here, pretty much the most substantial thing that you can do in your lifetime.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] What makes you think you know my views on responsibility and cause and effect? thegerg

the words you type, what else would i use to judge a person on a forum?

Keep in mind that forming opinions of the views of others based on your own prejudices is not always a good idea.

so independent thought is not always a good idea? i can agree with that, but it is necessary and as bad ideas are weeded out and good ideas stay over time we improve.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] Keep in mind that forming opinions of the views of others based on your own prejudices is not always a good idea.thegerg

so independent thought is not always a good idea? i can agree with that, but it is necessary and as bad ideas are weeded out and good ideas stay over time we improve.

I never said that independent thought is a bad thing, but to assign certain beliefs and views to others while being ignorant of their true feelings helps no one.

"...opinions of the views of others based on your own prejudices..... " prejudice is just a discerning opinion formed, forming opinions of others opinions leads to a new never before developed opinion combining the two or independent thought, sure i did not use any words with ill connotations but i did form my thought off of yours using the meanings of the words you typed and tossing out any intended inflection on your part.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I read "Does having an accident still have a negative spin?" I cam here to say that yes, s***ting or pissing your pants is still a bad thing.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] I never said that independent thought is a bad thing, but to assign certain beliefs and views to others while being ignorant of their true feelings helps no one.thegerg

"...opinions of the views of others based on your own prejudices..... " prejudice is just a discerning opinion formed, forming opinions of others opinions leads to a new never before developed opinion combining the two or independent thought, sure i did not use any words with ill connotations but i did form my thought off of yours using the meanings of the words you typed and tossing out any intended inflection on your part.

OK, none of that changes the fact that to assign certain beliefs and views to others while being ignorant of their true feelings helps no one.

forming an opinion on the only measurable and observable (empirical) information available is the most scientific way to form an opinion, its not as if i did so based on your name or avatar. if i get your argument right you are arguing that because no person can look into another person to truly understand their motives and feelings there should never be a judgement or opinion formed. i think that is silly, but to each their own.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I don't get parents that would actually tell their child they were an accident. Why would you do that?

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] OK, none of that changes the fact that to assign certain beliefs and views to others while being ignorant of their true feelings helps no one.thegerg

forming an opinion on the only measurable and observable (empirical) information available is the most scientific way to form an opinion, its not as if i did so based on your name or avatar. if i get your argument right you are arguing that because no person can look into another person to truly understand their motives and feelings there should never be a judgement or opinion formed. i think that is silly, but to each their own.

You're getting my argument wrong. If you want to form an opinion of my thoughts on responsibility and cause and effect then just ask, rather than forgoing such a simple task and instead assigning opinions to me based in ignorance.

you like tossing around that ignorance word dont you? it would be ignorant for me to ignore all past dealing and to ask your opinion, that would remove cohesion from your character, and it would be much easier for you to break character and just say what best fits your argument if i did that. by not forming my own theories based on past action i would be lacking all knowledge of past actions or ignorant of them.