Does anyone else think EMINEM is NOT the BEST RAPPER

• 160 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ct1257860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 0

#1 ct1257860
Member since 2006 • 4441 Posts

What up guys i respect EM and think he is very talented, i just think now he is getting over-credited for everything he does. For me his flow and style gets annoying and is too "the same" like take "Love the way you Lie" and "On Fire" when he raps its just sounds the same too me. Now he does have really great metaphors and spits really fast i just believe other rappers are more creative and there music brings out more emotion. For me i like Kanye West alot better then Eminem, his music is more "out of the box" its just different, i like lupe fiasco more too..i guess i cant explain it.

I downloaded EMs new album and deleted it, it was way too repetive and got annoying i just dont know why i cant get myself into his music even though i know he is very good. I just dont believe he is the best ever, i think he gets over-creddited alot just because hes a VERY GOOD WHITE RAPPER ( and im white myself )..your thoughts?

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

I'm not really a rap connosieur, but I would agree that Eminem does tend to sound the same. I think Kanye's ryhtm and beats are good, but not that into his lyrics or voice tbh. Don't know much about Lupe Fiasco. Like I said though, I don't know a ton about Rap, and I don't have much skill in critiquing it.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Ive never really been a fan.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

I don't think he is the best rapper.

Avatar image for ULTIMATEZWARRIO
ULTIMATEZWARRIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 ULTIMATEZWARRIO
Member since 2004 • 6026 Posts
I don;t think he or anyone else ever claimed to be the best rapper. He's good (maybe in the top 10), but he is no where near the best.
wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

Well basicly all music sounds the same nowadays.

Eminem is a good rapper but I think his early stuff was probably better.

I dont listen to alot rap but there are a few songs I like.

ct1257860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ct1257860

wildcat2000
I disagree listen to kid cudi all his stuff is so out there and different.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
I've never thought he was the best rapper. He's my favorite but he's not the best.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

back in the day Eminem had interesting songs that no one else were doing at the time, silly rap songs poking fun at his life, politics, society and all that but even then he was no where near the best, now his songs are still legit but its kind of the same "my mom sucks, i love my daughter, my ex wife screwed me over" and rinse and repeat. I know white rappers who are underground who are better then Eminem imo

ct1257860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ct1257860

[QUOTE="ULTIMATEZWARRIO"]I don;t think he or anyone else ever claimed to be the best rapper. /QUOTE]

I see tons of people say "Eminem is the only rapper I like because he actually raps about real life stuff!".

(It's pretty annoying)

JML897

Ahhhh sammee thinggg! There so many other artist who speak about real life issues.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

[QUOTE="ULTIMATEZWARRIO"]I don;t think he or anyone else ever claimed to be the best rapper.JML897

I see tons of people say "Eminem is the only rapper I like because he actually raps about real life stuff!".

(It's pretty annoying)

Ah yes. Those people. But if you look closely, they say they only listen to him. Which means they don't listen to any other good rappers. Which means their opinion is null and void. :)

Avatar image for krato_sephiroth
krato_sephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 krato_sephiroth
Member since 2006 • 113 Posts

What up guys i respect EM and think he is very talented, i just think now he is getting over-credited for everything he does. For me his flow and style gets annoying and is too "the same" like take "Love the way you Lie" and "On Fire" when he raps its just sounds the same too me. Now he does have really great metaphors and spits really fast i just believe other rappers are more creative and there music brings out more emotion. For me i like Kanye West alot better then Eminem, his music is more "out of the box" its just different, i like lupe fiasco more too..i guess i cant explain it.

I downloaded EMs new album and deleted it, it was way too repetive and got annoying i just dont know why i cant get myself into his music even though i know he is very good. I just dont believe he is the best ever, i think he gets over-creddited alot just because hes a VERY GOOD WHITE RAPPER ( and im white myself )..your thoughts?

ct1257860

I think many many people agree with you... His voice annoys me in some of his songs, and I feel like quite a few of his songs sound very similar.. My favourite rapper at the moment would be kanye( out of the more popular rappers).. His songs are unique, have fantastic production values and his rapping does have its moments.. tbh I wouldn't even put Eminem in my top 10 rappers!

loveless9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 loveless9
Member since 2011 • 167 Posts

Who's been saying that he's the best rapper? Of course there's someone other than you that doesn't think he's "the best" rapper.

Jack_240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#15 Jack_240
Member since 2009 • 522 Posts

He's not the best rapper, Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park is the best rapper I've ever seen. Just look up a song called "High Voltage"

ct1257860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ct1257860

[QUOTE="ct1257860"]

krato_sephiroth

I think many many people agree with you... His voice annoys me in some of his songs, and I feel like quite a few of his songs sound very similar.. My favourite rapper at the moment would be kanye( out of the more popular rappers).. His songs are unique, have fantastic production values and his rapping does have its moments.. tbh I wouldn't even put Eminem in my top 10 rappers!

Agreed definately not in my top ten....but some artist i always listen to and love - Kid Cudi, Kanye, Biggy, B.o.B, big sean, Lil wayne.
EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EntropyWins
Member since 2010 • 1209 Posts

NEWS FLASH: There is no such thing as the 'best rapper'. There is too much diversity in rapping ability to decide anything close to that. When Eminem is spitting fast and is on top of his game I think he can be pretty good. However, almost all his slow songs are terrible.

Avatar image for krato_sephiroth
krato_sephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 krato_sephiroth
Member since 2006 • 113 Posts

[QUOTE="krato_sephiroth"]

[QUOTE="ct1257860"]

ct1257860

Agreed definately not in my top ten....but some artist i always listen to and love - Kid Cudi, Kanye, Biggy, B.o.B, big sean, Lil wayne.

Oh have you heard B.o.B's "no genre" mixtape??? really good! Big Sean's been doing allright for himself, and his album could make it big( "my last" has been quite popular)... and kid cudi is great, no doubt about that...I would disagree about lil wayne, but that remains for another topic haha

EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EntropyWins
Member since 2010 • 1209 Posts

[QUOTE="ct1257860"]

krato_sephiroth

Kanye's rapping has its moments lol
anihimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 anihimz
Member since 2010 • 14242 Posts
Em fell off, you want his best work? Listen to Marchall Mathers LP
Peiner09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Peiner09
Member since 2009 • 722 Posts
One of the reasons I love eminem is becouse he can sound so different. Which seems to completely contradict the OP. I ask anyone who thinks he sounds the same to venture through his albums. Recovery was more pop, relapse was freaking dark, abit twisted, TES is probobly one the rawest and truest. albums there is. MMLP and SSLP are different stories. As a rapper, hes one of the best, as far as an artist they depends completely on the person. OP was talking Kid Cudi,and B.O.B two artist I also love, but you gotta realise that it's a different style of music. I can't really compare them.
scorpion_great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 scorpion_great
Member since 2004 • 1572 Posts

The thing about Eminem is that he's really good at coming up with sick lyrics on the spot. Take a look at this for example (just skip to the part where it's hes turn): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ-q_Yb9t-s

Tell me what you think of him now.

wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

[QUOTE="wildcat2000"]

ct1257860

Ok I listened to a few songs of his on Youtube and they do seem to have they're own sound but he still sings about the same old stuff most rappers do.

Havinga hard life, being high, sex...and so on.

Peiner09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Peiner09

The thing about Eminem is that he's really good at coming up with sick lyrics on the spot. Take a look at this for example (just skip to the part where it's hes turn): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ-q_Yb9t-s

scorpion_great
okay, that was damn good, This ne is new too me. The one he does over microphone is beast too. The man can freestyle, Thats for sure. I'm really taking a liking to slaughterhouse as well, but i don't know who is who yet, I know royce is a beast,
anihimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 anihimz

[QUOTE="ct1257860"][QUOTE="wildcat2000"]

wildcat2000

Ok I listened to a few songs of his on Youtube and they do seem to have they're own sound but he still sings about the same old stuff most rappers do.

Havinga hard life, being high, sex...and so on.

As a Cudder fan, I request you to listen to his song called "Man on the Moon." And his Tim Westwood freestyle.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
well the fact that you cited Love the Way You Lie and On Fire instead of his older stuff, pretty much makes me think whatever your opinion on his skill is, is invalid.
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
I don't consider any rappers good, but then again I have never went out of my way to look for one.
TacticaI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TacticaI
Member since 2006 • 1363 Posts

I don't think he's as good as he used to be. I agree a lot of his recent work sounds one in the same although he remains a great lyricist. His older sound was a lot more creative, way more over the top. That being said, I think he's finally getting the credit/praise he always deserved minus the criticism he used to drown in.

anihimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 anihimz
well the fact that you cited Love the Way You Lie and On Fire instead of his older stuff, pretty much makes me think whatever your opinion on his skill is, is invalid. JPOBS
Exactly.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JML897

I don't think he's as good as he used to be. I agree a lot of his recent work sounds one in the same although he remains a great lyricist. His older sound was a lot more creative, way more over the top. TacticaI

Love your sig.

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

His recent stuff is generic mainstream music. I'm all ofr Eminem going big, but his new songs are far less original in my opinion. They sound like what everyone else is releasing today. That being said, I think his old music was arguably deserving of the best rapper title.

Peiner09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Peiner09

[QUOTE="JPOBS"]well the fact that you cited Love the Way You Lie and On Fire instead of his older stuff, pretty much makes me think whatever your opinion on his skill is, is invalid. anihimz
Exactly.

Yea, he picked the two worst songs on recovery to cite.

scorpion_great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 scorpion_great
Member since 2004 • 1572 Posts

[QUOTE="scorpion_great"]

Peiner09

okay, that was damn good, This ne is new too me. The one he does over microphone is beast too. The man can free**** Thats for sure. I'm really taking a liking to slaughterhouse as well, but i don't know who is who yet, I know royce is a beast,

Ye and he does like 3 raps in that video, each time it gets better n better. Eminem has an energizer bunny in he's head.

Peiner09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Peiner09

His recent stuff is generic mainstream music. I'm all ofr Eminem going big, but his new songs are far less original in my opinion. They sound like what everyone else is releasing today. That being said, I think his old music was arguably deserving of the best rapper title.

jamejame

Relapse =/= not mainstream(in your sense of the word) Recovery is one album out of 7, he mixes his style up constantly, the most recent happened to be pop.

Relapse, gets crap talked for being weird, and having the acent, but if you get past that and look at how he structured the entire rhyme sceme off of that accent, porpusely trying to twist words as far as he could. It's hard to not appreciate it abit. He said himself that that whole abum was an experiment, and that he is bored of the english language.

Recovery was for all the fans tripping out thinking he went crazy in relapse. he overdid it and went pop.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

[QUOTE="anihimz"][QUOTE="JPOBS"]well the fact that you cited Love the Way You Lie and On Fire instead of his older stuff, pretty much makes me think whatever your opinion on his skill is, is invalid. Peiner09

Exactly.

he could have picked any song on the album, the point was he's trying to argue that eminem isn't the best rapper based on what is hands down his worst work. (or perhaps relapse).

eminem, pre and post Eminem Show, might as well be two different people. But the eminem Pre-Eminem show is easily top 5 rappers of all time imo.

zombiejonny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zombiejonny
Member since 2003 • 8277 Posts

i dont think he is the best rapper. I really dont like his music anymore either, i dont like how serious he has become now. He used to be so funny what he used to rap about, i assume he was on a lot of drugs when he used to rap like that though.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
Kanye is better, MF DOOM is better, the guys in CunninLynguists are better, Nas is better. Kid Cudi has a bunch of stuff that's better(but a lot that's worse). Aesop Rock is better. There's a lot that are better than Eminem. I mean, he's entertaining, but he's not some rap demigod or something. Not as overrated as Jay-Z, but he's close.
jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

[QUOTE="jamejame"]

Peiner09

Relapse =/= not mainstream(in your sense of the word) Recovery is one album out of 7, he mixes his style up constantly, the most recent happened to be pop.

How is it not mainstream? I admit, some of the songs are original, but its mostly just "sing about love problems/life problems, insert guest singer chorus here". Its just not fresh. You could argue a lot of his old stuff was the same, but he put his cynical, aggressive spin on his lyrics and delivery. He's "matured" now, which I guess is fine... it just doesn't compare.

EDIT: By the way, I liked Relapse far more than I liked Recovery. To me, Recovery was just weirdcoming from Em. Relapse, while not gold, was fine.

Peiner09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Peiner09

[QUOTE="Peiner09"]

[QUOTE="anihimz"] Exactly.JPOBS

he could have picked any song on the album, the point was he's trying to argue that eminem isn't the best rapper based on what is hands down his worst work. (or perhaps relapse).

eminem, pre and post Eminem Show, might as well be two different people. But the eminem Pre-Eminem show is easily top 5 rappers of all time imo.

But in the next breath he said that everything em does is the same. I agree with you, TES was the peak, I still enjoy his current music though.
TacticaI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TacticaI
Member since 2006 • 1363 Posts

[QUOTE="TacticaI"]I don't think he's as good as he used to be. I agree a lot of his recent work sounds one in the same although he remains a great lyricist. His older sound was a lot more creative, way more over the top. JML897

Love your sig.

I did fail to mention

Return Of 4eva>Recovery :lol:

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JML897

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="TacticaI"]I don't think he's as good as he used to be. I agree a lot of his recent work sounds one in the same although he remains a great lyricist. His older sound was a lot more creative, way more over the top. TacticaI

Love your sig.

I did fail to mention

Return Of 4eva>Recovery :lol:

That should go without saying. It's not even close IMO

Peiner09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Peiner09

[QUOTE="Peiner09"][QUOTE="jamejame"]

jamejame

How is it not mainstream? I admit, some of the songs are original, but its mostly just "sing about love problems/life problems, insert guest singer chorus here". Its just not original. You could argue a lot of his old stuff was the same, but he put his cynical, aggressive spin on his lyrics and delivery. He's "matured" now, which I guess is fine, it just doesn't compare.

EDIT: By the way, I liked Relapse far more than I liked Recovery. To me, Recovery was just weird. Relapse, while not gold, was fine.

It's not quite mainstream becouse of the whole drug addict stepfather, incest-rape thing. or the drug themed dark, hypnotic tone. I think you thought i was talking about recovery. THAT was the one with insert guest singer chorus here. Not his best.
The-Tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The-Tree
Member since 2010 • 3315 Posts

Nah, I'm not big into Eminem, I'm more into Biggy, B.o.B., and Kid Cudi.

bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bigdcstile
Member since 2004 • 2236 Posts
He's good. He's got skill, flow, he's witty and, sometimes, not too boring. But, at the same time, he's definitely not the best ever. It's hard to quantify but, him? He's not it. I don't know, I just never see or hear anything from him that I haven't already heard before but done better; the shock value, the whole "eff" the world motif. And yet, here, it's almost a guarantee that on a hip hop thread, someone's going to reply in some form of "Oh I hate rap, but I love Eminem, though." And you begin to wonder why and develop a few theories. What really makes Em stand out as a mainstream rapper that other mainstream, underground and 'tweeners' don't already exhibit?
Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts

A lot of people do.

DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 DmadFearmonger
Member since 2009 • 5169 Posts

Rap as a genre is not very good. Even ask Dylan Moran

bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bigdcstile
Member since 2004 • 2236 Posts

DmadFearmonger
Yeah, I'm going to take a comedian's attempts at humor to be the end all, be all reason for why 'rap sucks'. And you're here... why?
DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 DmadFearmonger
Member since 2009 • 5169 Posts
[QUOTE="DmadFearmonger"]

bigdcstile
Yeah, I'm going to take a comedian's attempts at humor to be the end all, be all reason for why 'rap sucks'. And you're here... why?

The comedian actually has logic and truth in his stand up. He knows exactly why rap sucks to he takes it and explains it to us in a humerous and entertaining manner.