Do You Think The Men's Right's Movement Is Silly?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

What's cool is that while reading this topic, I have an ad that says, "100 hottest pictures of cheerleaders you will ever see" in the bottom of my screen.  Hooray Gamespot!

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
I think that if more men really bought into feminism there might be a more constructive dialogue.theone86
This was the case, until feminism went too far.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

Yes and no. There are legitimate concerns that men should be concerned about. Men have a much harder time getting a job that requires working with children, for example. And once they do get it, they are watched far more closely than a woman. As a pre-service teacher, this is a concern to me. Parents often prefer that their child's teacher be a female than a male. It's true that a male is statistically more likely to sexually abuse someone than a female, but prejudice behaviour such as this is not justified. Blacks are also statistically more likely to commit a crime, but they should not be denied jobs or treated like a criminal once they get in. And neither should a man simply because he is a man. 

That being said, I don't agree with the Men's Rights Movement. I also don't agree with a Women's Rights Movement. I've been saying for years that men and women need to work together to resolve this. We should create a Gender Equality Movement composed of both men and women. All issues based on sex or gender will be addressed. It's the only way things will be taken seriously. 

Nibroc420

Well it used to be accepted that women had less rights than men (voting, lower wages etc). But now that the wage gap has disappeared, and has even reversed in women's favor, I'm curious what exactly they're fighting for. Men used to support the women's rights movements, because they accepted that men made more etc, and felt it was unfair. Now feminists are fighting to make more than men, and for rights men dont even have. Which is why the MRA is needed, to produce counter-arguements to the extremest women who twist facts to make it seem they're discriminated against. Not all feminists are bad, just the one's with victim complexes.

They're mostly fighting to have equal standing with men in society.  There are so many things that men just take for granted because they have always been that way, and when women challenge them on the issue they get extremely defensive and try to trivialize them.  These issues might seem trivial to men, but they affect women in a profound manner.  I would say that if men dropped the knee-jerk reactions in these instances and tried to empathize with women then they might actually understand why women are still fighting.

That, and there are still issues of rights that were resolved in the past but continue to be an issue, such as reproductive rights.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]I think that if more men really bought into feminism there might be a more constructive dialogue.Nibroc420

According to who?

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

when you make a poll, please make the choices straight forward (yes/no/indifferent etc). Don't try to be cute with the poll options. kthx

TOPIC: It depends. I like this website equalitycanada.com (shut down due to thug feminazis flooding). Ones that actually care about equality, then there are stupid butthurt baww-fest type of MRA like this dude

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

That, and there are still issues of rights that were resolved in the past but continue to be an issue, such as reproductive rights.

The only western country that that's really an issue in is America.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="theone86"]I think that if more men really bought into feminism there might be a more constructive dialogue.theone86

According to who?

There's practically a WBC of Feminism, which seriously turns men off the movement.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Only if their sole purpose is to counter b*tches like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjImnqH_KwM

dominer
Is she serious? It's a game... The reason they cater to mean is because gaming is a male dominate activity.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 theone86

[QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

This.

rocinante_

feminism, at its root, does address issues for both genders--social theory 101

nowadays, the core of feminism has been tainted with extremist views that propagate the misconception that the movement is solely anti-men and pro-women. it's not that simple

In my experience, a lot of the extremist views come from the constant assaults on feminism, or at least gain traction because of them.  One of my biggest problems with feminism is this idea that anything a feminist says becomes gospel truth and arguing in any way makes you a misogynist.  However, usually when I see that happening I see that feminist fighting for issues that are very important to her and stating her point very eloquently, and then getting shouted down by a lot of angry men who refuse to consider her point of view (see: the b*tch post earlier in thsi thread).  I understand how completely frustrating that can be and how easy that makes it to turn to this frankly facist mode of thought, but I really think that just reinforces my point that if more men tried to participate constructively in feminist movements instead of just getting angry and dismissive then the results would be better for everyone.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="dominer"]

Fightingfan
Is she serious? It's a game... The reason they cater to mean is because gaming is a male dominate activity.

Some feminists are just looking for "inequality" and when they find it, they b**ch regardless of how ridiculous it is. Like i said previously, these are like the WBC of feminism, and sometimes you need another organization to yell equally as loud, before men lose their rights to these loud, obnoxious feminists. Equality is great, why change that?
rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 rocinante_
Member since 2012 • 1772 Posts

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

[QUOTE="deeliman"]theone86

nowadays, the core of feminism has been tainted with extremist views that propagate the misconception that the movement is solely anti-men and pro-women. it's not that simple

In my experience, a lot of the extremist views come from the constant assaults on feminism, or at least gain traction because of them.  One of my biggest problems with feminism is this idea that anything a feminist says becomes gospel truth and arguing in any way makes you a misogynist.  However, usually when I see that happening I see that feminist fighting for issues that are very important to her and stating her point very eloquently, and then getting shouted down by a lot of angry men who refuse to consider her point of view (see: the b*tch post earlier in thsi thread).  I understand how completely frustrating that can be and how easy that makes it to turn to this frankly facist mode of thought, but I really think that just reinforces my point that if more men tried to participate constructively in feminist movements instead of just getting angry and dismissive then the results would be better for everyone.

oh, absolutely...unfortunately, those type of people are few and far between. c'est la vie

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 theone86

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="dominer"]

Nibroc420

Some feminists are just looking for "inequality" and when they find it, they b**ch regardless of how ridiculous it is. Like i said previously, these are like the WBC of feminism, and sometimes you need another organization to yell equally as loud, before men lose their rights to these loud, obnoxious feminists. Equality is great, why change that?

What rights, exactly, are men in danger of losing here?

And this is exactly my point, you personally don't understand the issue, therefore the issue is ridiculous.  It doesn't matter that it's important to feminists, you personally get to determine what is "objectively" important and what is not, and when feminists take up an issue that is not "objectively" important you slam them as extremists.  If there weren't any people like you there would be far fewer actual feminists extremists.

Also, where's the equality in women dominating submissive character roles?  

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 AHUGECAT
Member since 2006 • 8967 Posts

90% of child custody results favor the mother. There's a reason Men's Rights Activists exist.

Now, if the system were fair, I still think most child custody cases would go to the mother - 65% - but it needs to be fair.

Then of course alimony is unfair.

premeketsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 premeketsi
Member since 2013 • 131 Posts

[QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

This.

rocinante_

"At its root". Please don't.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"] Is she serious? It's a game... The reason they cater to mean is because gaming is a male dominate activity. theone86

And this is exactly my point, you personally don't understand the issue, therefore the issue is ridiculous.  It doesn't matter that it's important to feminists, you personally get to determine what is "objectively" important and what is not, and when feminists take up an issue that is not "objectively" important you slam them as extremists.  If there weren't any people like you there would be far fewer actual feminists extremists.

Sounds like black panther logic tbh,
rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 rocinante_

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

[QUOTE="deeliman"]premeketsi

have you even read any early feminist theory? feminism, from get go, was about addressing gender equality and social issues in general, not specifically just on women

premeketsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 premeketsi

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"] Is she serious? It's a game... The reason they cater to mean is because gaming is a male dominate activity. theone86

Where's the equality in men dominating violent roles? Switch around every gender specific term you used in your post and you'll have the same argument an MRA would have. It's not even funny.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

But now that the wage gap has disappeared, and has even reversed in women's favor, Nibroc420
LMAO

trollbroc at it again.

premeketsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 premeketsi

[QUOTE="premeketsi"][QUOTE="rocinante_"]

rocinante_

have you even read any early feminist theory? feminism, from get go, was about addressing gender equality and social issues in general, not specifically just on women

I'm not arguing that, I'm saying that you're too close to a "no true scotsman" fallacy. To start with, feminist has little to do with what it was 50 years ago. The first wave of feminism accomplished all it sought for. Secondly, it doesn't really matter what it says in the "textbook". What matters is what people who openly identify as feminists do.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="premeketsi"][QUOTE="rocinante_"]

rocinante_

If that's the case change the name. It's hypocritical. it's like the NAACP - I never hear them defending a white man who's victim of a hate crime.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="premeketsi"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]No.

Aljosa23

Yes. As long as there is feminism in 2013, we also need MRAs in 2013. Women don't get to be the only ones to whine about mostly trivial shit in society. That's equality.

Claiming women lie about spousal and child abuse in order to leverage themselves in divorce court is not a legitimate point.

It is if it happens. Women initiate 2/3 of divorces and are the aggressors in 60% of domestic violence cases.

premeketsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 premeketsi

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]But now that the wage gap has disappeared, and has even reversed in women's favor, Aljosa23

LMAO

trollbroc at it again.

People still believe in the wage gap?
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]So is this an actual movement or is it just a bunch of guys saying fvck you to feminists?premeketsi

basically. whenever i think of someone who is part of the men's right movement (lol) i think of a sad, loser neckbeard who blames the whole female gender because he can't get any

Men live less, work at jobs with higher risks, suicide more, almost exclusively die as soldiers, are expected to not express any emotion while at the same get shat on from feminists for being "too masculine". I doubt any movement is going to change this but if feminists are allowed to whine about anything, so should MRAs. Every person has their own problems. If an old school feminist witnessed what modern feminists whine about, they'd probably have the same reaction as you about MRAs (vids related, 2 old school feminist, telling it like it is:. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I6aYl4XDpA&list=FLBbMsIbGmMcKH5xo3ZVGpkw&index=1, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgpbDpXrEr4&list=FLBbMsIbGmMcKH5xo3ZVGpkw&index=2)

This is a leading voice in the MRM, a Bisexual woman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RozEFVPDxeg

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]But now that the wage gap has disappeared, and has even reversed in women's favor, Aljosa23

LMAO

trollbroc at it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH4lb88DMeo

Also women age 25 and under make 8% more than their male counterparts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb_6v-JQ13Q

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 GummiRaccoon

Yes.  Speaking as a man I can safely say we don't need a rights movement.  We may need to play a bigger role in the feminist conversation, but in my experience whenever there's a legitimate problem with the feminist movement it always gets caught up in misogynist rhetoric.  The best way to improve feminism is to become a part of it.

theone86

The best way to improve racism is to become a part of it.

rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 rocinante_

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

[QUOTE="premeketsi"] "At its root". Please don't.premeketsi

I'm not arguing that, I'm saying that you're too close to a "no true scotsman" fallacy. To start with, feminist has little to do with what it was 50 years ago. The first wave of feminism accomplished all it sought for. Secondly, it doesn't really matter what it says in the "textbook". What matters is what people who openly identify as feminists do.

yah, and i'm sayin that some--not all--modern feminists have got it all wrong

for example (albeit an extreme one), it's like how the wbc believes themselves to be christians 

rolfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 rolfboy
Member since 2006 • 1137 Posts

Ehh, I don't agree with the whole greivance industry for men deal, but I tend to agree with their view in respect to a lot of social (not necessarily legal) issues facing the average guy.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="theone86"]

Yes.  Speaking as a man I can safely say we don't need a rights movement.  We may need to play a bigger role in the feminist conversation, but in my experience whenever there's a legitimate problem with the feminist movement it always gets caught up in misogynist rhetoric.  The best way to improve feminism is to become a part of it.

GummiRaccoon

The best way to improve racism is to become a part of it.

LOL
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 GummiRaccoon

dominer

I knew that was going to be anita sarkeesian before I clicked the link

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="premeketsi"][QUOTE="theone86"]

Most of those problems arise because men are expected to adhere to this ridiculous idea of a "real" man.  That idea is spread more by men than it is by women, and in fact a lot of feminists try to fight against outdated ideas of what a "real" man is.

theone86

How about we let every individual male decide what they think a real man is and let feminism worry about female issues. The only "male issue" feminism is worried about is what a "real man" is. I wonder why. You'll have to show me a study on your claim that that idea is spread more by men.

Because we're living in a society and these issues of what a man is and how it affects other people don't exist in a vacuum.  It's not like men come up with an idea of what a real man is on their own, it's spread by the media and other men.

People learn their attitudes about gender roles from their mothers.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 GummiRaccoon

Yes and no. There are legitimate concerns that men should be concerned about. Men have a much harder time getting a job that requires working with children, for example. And once they do get it, they are watched far more closely than a woman. As a pre-service teacher, this is a concern to me. Parents often prefer that their child's teacher be a female than a male. It's true that a male is statistically more likely to sexually abuse someone than a female, but prejudice behaviour such as this is not justified. Blacks are also statistically more likely to commit a crime, but they should not be denied jobs or treated like a criminal once they get in. And neither should a man simply because he is a man. 

That being said, I don't agree with the Men's Rights Movement. I also don't agree with a Women's Rights Movement. I've been saying for years that men and women need to work together to resolve this. We should create a Gender Equality Movement composed of both men and women. All issues based on sex or gender will be addressed. It's the only way things will be taken seriously. 

Tropictrain

http://www.earlychildhoodnews.com/earlychildhood/article_view.aspx?ArticleID=400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]But now that the wage gap has disappeared, and has even reversed in women's favor, GummiRaccoon

LMAO

trollbroc at it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH4lb88DMeo

Also women age 25 and under make 8% more than their male counterparts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb_6v-JQ13Q

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/05/the-biggest-myth-about-the-gender-wage-gap/276367/

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
The men's rights movement is full of bigger idiots than the hardcore feminist groups. An impressive feat.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

third wave feminism

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50569 Posts

Only minorities and women have any right to a movement, obviously.

premeketsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 premeketsi

Chutebox
But women are the majority.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iARHCxAMAO0

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

premeketsi

He said minorities and women.
premeketsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 premeketsi
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]
[QUOTE="premeketsi"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

deeliman

He said minorities and women.

I misread.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#90 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

MRAs are embarrasing.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Ace6301

Chutebox
Men have the right to a movement same as the above. Just like the above they are not exempt from criticism and being called out when their movement acts like a bunch of 12 year olds.
MysteryJ0ker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 MysteryJ0ker
Member since 2008 • 98 Posts
Both movements are a form of retardation only further propagated by a hyper-sensitive world of twits.
premeketsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 premeketsi
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Ace6301
Men have the right to a movement same as the above. Just like the above they are not exempt from criticism and being called out when their movement acts like a bunch of 12 year olds.

Nobody is accusing feminists of being 12 year olds, the goal here is to get in their pants. That would've been counter-productive.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50569 Posts
Both movements are a form of retardation only further propagated by a hyper-sensitive world of twits.MysteryJ0ker
Probably my favorite post in OT, ever.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

premeketsi

Nobody is accusing feminists of being 12 year olds, the goal here is to get in their pants. That would've been counter-productive.

Quite a few of the hardcore feminists act like bitchy 12 year olds. If that's the kind of woman you'd like to get with then by all means go ahead.
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

theone86

Isn't that just a semantic difference?  I don't even think most women's right acitivists identify with a women's rights movement all that much anymore, they identify as feminists.  And really, most of the time when I see men rallying against feminism they're either nitpicking one issue to make the entire movement look bad or they're trying to dismiss feminist issues as "whining."  I think that if more men really bought into feminism there might be a more constructive dialogue.

Not surprised to see that there was a lot of activity in this thread since I left and I'm too lazy to read it all. But to address your concern, yes. It's mostly a semantic difference. As someone else also pointed out to me, feminism was intended to address both and I'm aware of this. This is also why I support feminism. However, the world no longer sees it this way for the most part and I think it's because the name itself is biased. I understand that it was necessary at first in order for it to be taken seriously and to be effective, but in today's society it is counter-productive. For example, at my university we have both a Women's Centre and a Sexual Diversity centre. The Women's Centre is often active in fighting for women's rights and the Sexual Diversity centre is often active in supporting the rights of the LGBT community. But the Sexual Diversity centre makes it clear that it is open to those of all sexual practices, the Women's Centre doesn't. I see heterosexuals visiting the Sexual Diversity Centre (myself included) but I've never seen or heard of men visiting the Women's Centre. And I definitely never saw them out at the tables when they're supporting a cause or raising funds. If we had a Gender Equality Centre instead I believe this would not be the case and it would be far more effective. A name is extremely important. 

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
if women get to b**** then so do men.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Are there certain double standards and social issues that negatively affect men, and probaby should be addressed? Yes.  Having said that the entire men's rights movement is pretty dumb because it seems everyone who is actively involved in it is some butthurt guy, who hates all women because they don't find him attractive, or some bible thumper who wants women to be seen, not heard.

Domestic violence against men is a problem, and the way society is likely to treat a man who his attacked by a woman is a problem, but the MRA is dumb.  It is almost exactly the same problem as the feminist movement.  Some legitimate points and problems exist, but the movement itself and the people addressing those points drown out any hint of sensibility. 

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]So is this an actual movement or is it just a bunch of guys saying fvck you to feminists?Nibroc420
It's a counter-movement to the extremist feminists.

the physical aestetics are counter to feminists.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Chutebox

lolololool dat persecution complex