Do you think the Death Penalty is Fair Justice?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrduckbears3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Do you think the Death Penalty is Fair Justice? (24 votes)

Yes. People who murder/kill deserves to die. 46%
Only if the murder itself was cruel and the victim was killed brutally.. 21%
No, I think Life In Prison is Fair Justice because an eye for an eye is not gonna bring someone back 13%
No, I think Life In Prison Is Fair because some people may actually be innocent and killing them would be bad on us.. 21%

do people here actually think the death penalty is still good these days? i mean sure killing someone will make you feel better if they killed someone you loved but then what? let's not also forget that there are hundreds of innocent people being put to death today who are proven innocent after they are dead.

but what do you think?

• 
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

@Master_Live said:
So sometimes innocent people are executed. So if we have video proof and 100 witnesses is the death penalty is ok?

Morally, I haven't major qualms. On a wider systematic level, as others have said, you can't really implement where an individual's punishment varies with the certainty that they did it.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Death penalty is about exacting revenge. Everyone has the right to take his revenge.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@alim298 said:

Death penalty is about exacting revenge. Everyone has the right to take his revenge.

uh, no they don't

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By lostrib

@Master_Live said:

People against the death penalty should be careful to not fall into traps with their arguments. The moral case should suffice and the day it doesn't that is the day you should start rethinking your position.

So it cost more to execute someone (because of the legal stuff) than to keep them incarcerated. So? So the day it doesn't does that means the death penalty all of the sudden becomes ok?

So sometimes innocent people are executed. So if we have video proof and 100 witnesses is the death penalty is ok?

How about I just don't think it serves a purpose

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 alim298

@lostrib said:

@alim298 said:

uh, no they don't

Why not? Revenge is a human right.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 lostrib

@alim298 said:

@lostrib said:

@alim298 said:

uh, no they don't

According to who? And just because you believe that, does not make it a legal right

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By alim298

@lostrib said:

@alim298 said:

@lostrib said:

@alim298 said:

uh, no they don't

According to who? And just because you believe that, does not make it a legal right

You'r right. That was Subjective.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I agree with it in particularly heinous crimes. Like with the Boston Bomber and Osama bin Laden.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

The death penalty, in a first-world society with the infrastructure to house criminals away from the general public, has no place. It is about, for all intents and purposes, making the victim's family feel better. It doesn't serve any additional purpose, and if it ever is used on an innocent person, then that blood is on the hands of every single member of the society, whether they agree with it or not.

And atrociously, many innocent people have been killed at the hands of the state in the name of "justice" (in the US). The very idea of that sickens me (even as a Canadian). To quote the fictional Rachel Dawes from Batman Begins: "Justice is about harmony, revenge is about making yourself feel better".

You're a moron

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 themajormayor

Anyway, the answer is yes

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Master_Live said:

People against the death penalty should be careful to not fall into traps with their arguments. The moral case should suffice and the day it doesn't that is the day you should start rethinking your position.

So it cost more to execute someone (because of the legal stuff) than to keep them incarcerated. So? So the day it doesn't does that means the death penalty all of the sudden becomes ok?

Life in prison doesn't seem to serve much purpose to me.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 lostrib

@EnoshimaJunko said:

@lostrib said:

@Master_Live said:

how so?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#65 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@themajormayor said:

You're a moron

And you're a dandy. What does this accomplish?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 themajormayor

@foxhound_fox said:

@themajormayor said:

You're a moron

And you're a dandy. What does this accomplish?

Öhm, why do you ask me?

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

It's already contradicted itself by killing innocent people, which means the death penalty should get itself.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

@thegerg said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@lostrib said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@lostrib said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@thegerg said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@thegerg said:

@GIJames248 said:

The death penalty is just, and should be used more commonly in murder cases that are beyond in certainty. It is bizarre that most murderers, even the ones we know for sure did it, just get life in prison.

"It is bizarre that most murderers, even the ones we know for sure did it, just get life in prison."

The degree of certainty that they "did it" should have no bearing on their sentence.

On the aggregate level, yes, it should.

In what way?

In that when a system consistently convicts some people that it shouldn't, ideally it should punish them in a manner slightly more reversible than death.

Technically, they should be convicted by a jury based on the same level of certainty

Scaled to the macroscopic level, the certainty that you do not convict innocent people degrades considerably - there isn't a way around that.

Macroscopic...come on, it's a saturday

But yes, I think the point is that their shouldn't be some sliding scale of punishment based on how "certain" people are of guilt. Ideally, if someone is convicted the jury should be certain they are guilty (beyond a reasonable doubt). But yes, on the large scale of the criminal justice system innocent people get put in prison or put to death. And it is the later that quite a few people have an issue with.

Although, my personal objection to the death penalty is that I just don't see how it serves any purpose, especially versus the total cost

I agree that people, individually, should not have their sentences vary due to degrees of certainty.

Well that's what I'm talking about, an individual's sentence.

I'm drunk at the moment, but I can only surmise that my initial response might have mistakenly assumed otherwise.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

I have no problem with a jury having capital punishment as an option. As someone that has seen one two many snuff films on the internet, I have zero symphony for murders. There is no saving them, and life in prison is no more humane.

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

@lostrib said:

@EnoshimaJunko said:

@lostrib said:

@Master_Live said:

how so?

They just sit in prison, waiting to die. Nothing happens, nothing changes. They're just wasting space and resources.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#72  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

The answer is, for the most part, yes. However the sheer cost involved and the amount of tape involved has made such economically unfeasible. Nevermind the sheer amount of crowding in our prisons (here in California, mind you). My state has taken steps to remedy that, by placing more higher risk individuals in county jails (to which I've yet to see an LEO agree with this mantra), and allowing a lot of lower offending people slip by with an infraction (decriminalizing some drug offenses).

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#73 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

No because the risk of an innocent person being executed is too high. It's not that complicated.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

It depends on what you think is just. I say no because it doesn't really solve anything. Instead of killing these people in the name of "justice," the people in the justice department should be trying to learn even more about why the person did it so we can further try to prevent things like this. It is kind of rare that someone who is homicidal gets incarcerated because they are either killed on site by the police department or they kill themselves. Instead of killing them for revenge we should take this opportunity to learn about the mindset of these people.