Do you think Cinemark should be sued over that mass shooting?

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#102 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

The US ranks number 5 in Homicide Rates by Firearm, right up there with the most violent Latin American countries, well above any western country. Just look a the bi-monthly gun massacres that took place in 2012. Yeah, I'd say 'more than usual'

thebest31406

Ah, so you do just read the news and then make up trends. If homicide rates are going up, then you need data saying they are going up. I can't believe I have to point this out.

The "most violent Latin American countries" have overal homicide rates ten times that of the United States. Several European countries have overall higher violent crime rates than the US. Yay, let's compare arbitrary points of data, then point to an arbitrary cause without establishing any correlation.

The purpose of a gun? To kill or at the very least, put someone or something down....or am I wrong?

thebest31406

Yes, you're wrong. That is not the sole purpose of firearms.

Remington used the word tactical to describe that shotgun. Another member confirmed that the Rifle was as well. So take it up with them.

thebest31406

I think I'll take it up with you, since you're the one here using terms you don't understand. At least I think you don't. Describe your tactical experience and education. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="thebest31406"][QUOTE="thegerg"] "Yeah but once again, guns serve only one purpose. " You seem to be very confused. Guns can serve a number of purposed, from hunting, to sport, to personal defense. Anyway, your argument wasn't one of ways to prevent deaths. It was one of public health and safety. Again, a health and safety approach to gun control is one that any sane and reasonable individual strongly supports, but to try to label one object as "too dangerous" in an effort to do away with it under the guise of public health and safety, while not doing the same to other objects that present a demonstrably greater risk to heath and safety is poorly thought-out at best and intellectually dishonest at worst.

I'm not at all for the public need for automobiles. While vehicles by their function are great due to their convenience, America's reliance on cars creates all sorts heath and safety problems; from fatalities to environmental issues to high transport costs. I'm all for reducing the public necessity for automobiles and I think one way of doing that is for the state to create a widespread, cheap and fast public transport system. So yes, I'm for reducing vehicle usage as well in an effort maintain health and safety. Unfortunately, the public needs personal transportation due to the country being pretty much built for cars. People by in large don't need guns at all. There is an argument for arming ones self for the purpose of defense or food but ultimately, the cons outweigh the pros.

Are you also for simply the reducing of gun usage?

Yeah, but how would you go about doing that without restricting guns altogether?
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I guess if they prevented people from carrying their weapons into the theater and then failed to provide adequate security themselves I could see a lawsuit being possible. I don't think it should happen, but considering similar lawsuits it doesn't sound far fetched.
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

[QUOTE="thebest31406"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Are you also for simply the reducing of gun usage? thegerg

Yeah, but how would you go about doing that without restricting guns altogether?

That's a good question. How would you?

I'm all for gun control, but it seemed earlier that you were (well, it didn't SEEM this way, you actually did) claiming guns were too dangerous for civilians to use. You now seem to believe that that is not the case (as you wish to simply reduce gun use, not eliminate it).

I still think they're too dangerous for civilian use and completely unnecessary. At the same time, I don't arbitrarily support an all out ban on guns simply because I don't like the way they look. I simply don't see any other way of reducing gun violence in the States. Clearly, there are socioeconomic factors involved in the day-to-day gun violence that could be resolved if the US were serious about resolving them. But what of the massacres? All told, there have been about four last year. You can't have four massacres in one year and and continue life as normal. Some heavy restrictions are required.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#108 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

All told, there have been about four last year. You can't have four massacres in one year and and continue life as normal. Some heavy restrictions are required.thebest31406

How many people were killed in these masacres? I'm curious as to what sort of bodycount necessitates "heavy restrictions" on the entire population. Your chances of being killed with a rifle in the US are about four times less likely than your chances of being struck by lightning. We don't heavily restrict people's freedoms based on lightning strikes.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

[QUOTE="thebest31406"]All told, there have been about four last year. You can't have four massacres in one year and and continue life as normal. Some heavy restrictions are required.Palantas

How many people were killed in these masacres? I'm curious as to what sort of bodycount necessitates "heavy restrictions" on the entire population. Your chances of being killed with a rifle in the US are about four times less likely than your chances of being struck by lightning. We don't heavily restrict people's freedoms based on lightning strikes.

Not only that, but there are at least one of these ideas at play in thebest31406's posts:

1. Guns caused the shootings - This makes no sense because they are inaminate objects and requires a person to use them
  2. Restricting the availability of guns will reduce the amount of gun deaths - There is absolutely no proof that this is(or has ever been) the case. What case studies or research is this hypothesis based on? Shouldn't we base national policy on something more than fear and emotion?
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Don't think my initial reaction with the death of a loved one would be to sue someone. Would feel bad about myself.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

Better call Saul.

lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts

No. I don't really see how it was their fault.

masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts

"Among other allegations, the suit says the theater failed to provide security personnel for the midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises," the exterior doors to the theater did not have any alarm or security system that would have alerted the staff that "someone had surreptitiously left the theater"or that the door in the back of theater was being kept open.

The suit also states that there was no system in place for the theater staff to monitor parking areas and external doors behind the theater.

The multiplex also been the site of previous incidents, including a shooting involving gang members.

"Any person who wished to make a surreptitious and unauthorized entry into the theater could easily determine that the lack of security personnel and lack of any alarm on the door at the right ... would allow them to leave the theater, and re-enter without fear of being discovered, interfered with, monitored or stopped,'' according to the suit.

The action was filed by two victims of the shooting, Denise Traynom and Brandon Axelrod, who suffered non-critical gunshot wounds to the buttocks and right knee and ankle, respectively. They are seeking unspecified damages for their injuries.

A second lawsuit containing similar allegations was filed Friday by another victim, Joshua Nowlan, who was shot in his right arm and left leg.

Cinemark representatives could not be reached for comment."

There is some meat to it...The doors did not have any system in place and considering it has been the site of previous incidents...i bet they settle out with a huge check..

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

"Among other allegations, the suit says the theater failed to provide security personnel for the midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises," the exterior doors to the theater did not have any alarm or security system that would have alerted the staff that "someone had surreptitiously left the theater"or that the door in the back of theater was being kept open.

The suit also states that there was no system in place for the theater staff to monitor parking areas and external doors behind the theater.

The multiplex also been the site of previous incidents, including a shooting involving gang members.

"Any person who wished to make a surreptitious and unauthorized entry into the theater could easily determine that the lack of security personnel and lack of any alarm on the door at the right ... would allow them to leave the theater, and re-enter without fear of being discovered, interfered with, monitored or stopped,'' according to the suit.

The action was filed by two victims of the shooting, Denise Traynom and Brandon Axelrod, who suffered non-critical gunshot wounds to the buttocks and right knee and ankle, respectively. They are seeking unspecified damages for their injuries.

A second lawsuit containing similar allegations was filed Friday by another victim, Joshua Nowlan, who was shot in his right arm and left leg.

There is some meat to it...The doors did not have any system in place and considering it has been the site of previous incidents...i bet they settle out with a huge check..

masiisam

:|

*****, at the very least who ever was incharge of that theater deserves to be fired.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
.... That would basically set precedent in which any and all businesses or public places are law suits waiting to happen..
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#116 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

These cases (the case?) will be dismissed. They cannot be held liable for a man sneaking his gear in through the back of one of the theaters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#117 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I dont like the implications of this either. I think most people here do not want to go through TSA like security everytime they go to see a movie. The world is a place full of unexpected risk. Certainly things can be done to cut some of the risk, but in the end, we still have to accept that living in the modern world still carries some risk. No one can make all that go away. And more importantly, I'd rather not give up all my liberties in order to try.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#118 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

A second lawsuit containing similar allegations was filed Friday by another victim, Joshua Nowlanmasiisam

Those three should be happy they survived, instead of p*ssing all over the casualties for a quick cash grab. Smfh.

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

These people deserve money but claiming that Cinemark should be responsible goes to far. As holding Cinemark responsible is making the assumption that the absence of protection played a role in the motive of the killer to enter the building. If this is true, than the mass murderer would just move on to a different unprotected place. Which in turn requires every single place to be protected in order to prevent lawsuits.
However as I mentioned before, the victims deserve compensation as their life will be influenced by the attacks. For example due to physical disabilities. How about raising a small tax on every pack of bullets, which goes to innocent victims of random shootings.

masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts

[QUOTE="masiisam"]

dercoo

:|

*****, at the very least who ever was incharge of that theater deserves to be fired.

I fully agree...i think its crap....at the same time.. this will change things.. i bet right now as we speak all the doors are getting retrofitted and maybe ...just maybe it will make it a little harder to do next time..

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 rastotm

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

These people deserve money but claiming that Cinemark should be responsible goes to far. As holding Cinemark responsible is making the assumption that the absence of protection played a role in the motive of the killer to enter the building. If this is true, than the mass murderer would just move on to a different unprotected place. Which in turn requires every single place to be protected in order to prevent lawsuits.
However as I mentioned before, the victims deserve compensation as their life will be influenced by the attacks. For example due to physical disabilities. How about raising a small tax on every pack of bullets, which goes to innocent victims of random shootings.

thegerg

Why is the responsibility of the state to pay?

One of the goals of the state is protecting it's innocent citizens, at least to a certain degree. In this case, the force was unable to prevent the crime and the law was unable to compensate for the suffering. Furthermore, it seems conflicting that a nation leaves victims to rot while it spends billions on dollar on fighting crime, drugs and wars.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#124 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

rastotm
Deserve compensation from whom? Other than the person who shot them, I don't see anybody else responsible. Bad things happen to good people. There are insurances and policies to protect against the unexpected. But simply experiencing an adverse event does not mean you are somehow entitled to compensation. If these people are disabled as a result of their injuries, then the government does have disability for them. But you dont get paid money just because something bad happens to you.
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 rastotm

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] Why is the responsibility of the state to pay?thegerg

One of the goals of the state is protecting it's innocent citizens, at least to a certain degree. In this case, the force was unable to prevent the crime and the law was unable to compensate for the suffering. Furthermore, it seems conflicting that a nation leaves victims to rot while it spends billions on dollar on fighting crime, drugs and wars.

It's not the state's job, however, to pay reparations to citizens because of the actions of another citizen. If that were the case there would be no need for car insurance.

Keep in mind that there is a difference between leaving victims to "rot" and not paying them for the loss causd by another citizen. There are already mechanisms in place to care for those that can't care for themselves (Medicare, foodstamp programs, etc.).

People who are forced on foodstamp programs should end up there because they made mistakes in life or simply didn't work/learn enough. A perfectly fine employee or student who got his life ruined by a gun happy lunatic does not belong there. Furthermore car accidents are a different case, as there is a sue-able party there. In this case there isn't, assuming that the Cinemark case fails. I fear that it's a simplistic morality argument though.

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 rastotm

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] It's not the state's job, however, to pay reparations to citizens because of the actions of another citizen. If that were the case there would be no need for car insurance.

Keep in mind that there is a difference between leaving victims to "rot" and not paying them for the loss causd by another citizen. There are already mechanisms in place to care for those that can't care for themselves (Medicare, foodstamp programs, etc.).

thegerg

People who are forced on foodstamp programs should end up there because they made mistakes in life or simply didn't work/learn enough. A perfectly fine employee or student who got his life ruined by a gun happy lunatic does not belong there. Furthermore car accidents are a different case, as there is a sue-able party there. In this case there isn't, assuming that the Cinemark case fails. I fear that it's a simplistic morality argument though.

"A perfectly fine employee or student who got his life ruined by a gun happy lunatic does not belong there" Why not? Does that individual not deserve to eat? "Furthermore car accidents are a different case, as there is a sue-able party there. In this case there isn't," You seem to be very confused. The shooter can be sued for compensation for the loss he caused.

He clearly deserves to eat, yet the idea of a person ending up there for being shot seems a sad one to me. As I mentioned it's a simplistic moral argument. And I realize that he in theory can be sued, yet the nature of the case makes it quite hard to get financial compensation for personal injury.

CKYguy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 CKYguy25
Member since 2012 • 2087 Posts

how is Cinemark involved in this?