• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts

Recently, I have been soul-searching. Trying to find peace. 

One of my closest friends who I hold in high regard recommeneded meditation.

I have to say, I have never been so peaceful in my whole entire life. 

Have you ever tried to meditate? I highly recommend it. Tell me how it makes you feel.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#2 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

I enjoy it very much. Mostly how much I realize the things I'm stressed over are arbitrary.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
No...when I feel that way I just get drunk.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

In the traditional sense? No. I do enjoy just sitting outside and just letting the sounds and sights of nature take over my thoughts.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MgamerBD

I enjoy it very much. Mostly how much I realize the things I'm stressed over are arbitrary.

Blueresident87
Truly. You realize how there are things you just can't control. So you let it flow in a way.
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

What is meditating exactly? I always thought meditating was to sit on a mat, arms out at length with your index fingers touching their corresponding thumbs while making "omm" noises.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts
no
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

What is meditating exactly? I always thought meditating was to sit on a mat, arms out at length with your index fingers touching their corresponding thumbs while making "omm" noises.

sune_Gem

And choking yourself while making sexy time. Something like that.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pirate700

sune_Gem

Meditation is an act to clear the mind and relax you. I don't think it has to be the steriotypical image of sitting on a rug, humming.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

Pirate700

Meditation is an act to clear the mind and relax you. I don't think it has to be the steriotypical image of sitting on a rug, humming.

How so does one go about this? Maybe I should give it a shot.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

sune_Gem

Depends on the kind of meditation you're talking about. The basic meditation on awareness of watching your own breathing and sensations around you can be very relaxing. You don't need to be sitting in any type of way. Just slowly pay attention and be aware of whatever moment you're in. Then gradually shift your attention to your breath, and how it's both a conscious and unconscious action. You can consciously control your own breath while at the same time feel that you breath completely automatically when you're not conscious of it. Breath as you do automatically, but just watch the breath without consciously trying to control it.

Edit: To cont: Sounds are neither postive or negative. We only interpret them as such. So try changing your awareness to the various sounds all around you. You don't need to force any of this either. You'll notice you can do it without any effort at all. Just be aware of the noises around you. That's just to start. You can find guides on the internet that can give you more information. 

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

How so does one go about this? Maybe I should give it a shot.

I guess it could be anything from just sitting on your back porch watching the leaves blow or staring out to distant mountains. I guess it would also be just going for a walk. As long as it helps clear your mind and bring relaxation.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pirate700

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

chrisrooR

Depends on the kind of meditation you're talking about. The basic meditation on awareness of watching your own breathing and sensations around you can be very relaxing. You don't need to be sitting in any type of way. Just slowly pay attention and be aware of whatever moment you're in. Then gradually shift your attention to your breath, and how it's both a conscious and unconscious action. You can consciously control your own breath while at the same time feel that you breath completely automatically when you're not conscious of it. Breath as you do automatically, but just watch the breath without consciously trying to control it.

That's deep, bro.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

chrisrooR

Edit: To cont: Sounds are neither postive or negative. We only interpret them as such. So try changing your awareness to the various sounds all around you. You don't need to force any of this either. You'll notice you can do it without any effort at all. Just be aware of the noises around you. That's just to start. You can find guides on the internet that can give you more information. 

So basically it's just the act of getting lost in thought?

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

I masturbitate

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chrisrooR

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

Pirate700

That's deep, bro.

As you do this you'll notice that without even trying to you can make yourself breath much more deeply than normal. Keep your back straight, and your hands at your sides. You can keep your eyes open if you'd like, but I find it's easier to eliminate the visual sense to highlight the others.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chrisrooR

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

There's no such thing as being absent minded. Because even when you're thinking about something you're totally engaged in that thought. You can't not be aware. There's a whole misconception with meditation that you must "control your thoughts!". No. Nobody is capable of controlling their own thoughts. Accept this, and just observe your thoughts as they come into your mind, like a cloud in the sky. You'll find when you try and objectively sit back and let these thoughts drift into your head and acknowledge their presence, they will fade. Keep up turning your attention back to the unconscious/conscious nature of your own breath.
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"] Depends on the kind of meditation you're talking about. The basic meditation on awareness of watching your own breathing and sensations around you can be very relaxing. You don't need to be sitting in any type of way. Just slowly pay attention and be aware of whatever moment you're in. Then gradually shift your attention to your breath, and how it's both a conscious and unconscious action. You can consciously control your own breath while at the same time feel that you breath completely automatically when you're not conscious of it. Breath as you do automatically, but just watch the breath without consciously trying to control it.

chrisrooR

There's no such thing as being absent minded. Because even when you're thinking about something you're totally engaged in that thought. You can't not be aware. There's a whole misconception with meditation that you must "control your thoughts!". No. Nobody is capable of controlling their own thoughts. Accept this, and just observe your thoughts as they come into your mind, like a cloud in the sky. You'll find when you try and objectively sit back and let these thoughts drift into your head and acknowledge their presence, they will fade. Keep up turning your attention back to the unconscious/conscious nature of your own breath.

My mind's kind of an enigma of madness though. :|

I'll look up some tutorials and such or tips on YouTube I think. Thanks for the advice.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

No. 

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#21 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

In the traditional sense? No. I do enjoy just sitting outside and just letting the sounds and sights of nature take over my thoughts.

Pirate700

That is still meditation though. I think clearing your thoughts is the main point of it anyhow.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#22 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
Sometimes. Not my preferred way to destress.
maheo30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 maheo30
Member since 2006 • 5102 Posts
I meditate in the Biblical sense.
metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts
I don't think I can, my ears were damaged as a kid and now I have a ringing in my ears that wont go away. I wish I could meditate though.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
I can't hold still and my mind is contently rushing so my meditation last about 1.4 seconds
Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

DhalsimMeditateDestroy_zps6f154ee0.jpg

:P

Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts

Not as much as I ought to

Now when I get stressed I usually go for long walks, masturbate or take some benzos.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

No I do not...my mind is much too noisy a place to ever allow quiet and calm to take hold of it. 

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
Nah, man, I destress in other ways, and for the chance to become enlightened, I use special means for that.
metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

No I do not...my mind is much too noisy a place to ever allow quiet and calm to take hold of it. 

Lord_Daemon
And I don't partially because of this. Or maybe all of this and I only blame the ringing because it's easy to blame. I could try letting the ringing go maybe.
Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#31 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
I suppose I do, I tend to go for walks in the country side or sometimes just sit on my own and either listen to music or just sit in silence.
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

It's darn hard - really tough in fact. I've tried a few times but I should persevere a little I guess...

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Oooooooooooommmmmmelet noooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmnom

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
That depends upon the form of meditation you speak of. I pray and reflect as much as necessary. In those senses I meditate upon something rather than simply meditating in the sense some might take it.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
The last time I mediated was a couple weeks ago. Meditation affects the body in positive ways. I practice breathing exercises, but no chants.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Not recently. I did in the Yoga class I took last year. I'd rather go into savasana pose than meditate. 

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

I don't.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts
I don't think I can, my ears were damaged as a kid and now I have a ringing in my ears that wont go away. I wish I could meditate though.metroidprime55
Sorry to hear you have tinnitus. I have heard bad stories of it. :(
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
The day I realized the universe doesn't give a sh!t about me or my life, I ceased the need to dwell inwardly. Life is way too short to waste sitting around trying to empty the mind when there are so many possibilities to fill it.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

I can't clear my mind, that's why I have such a problem getting to sleep; thoughts come unbidden and segue to other thoughts.

Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

Occasionally. It is after all proven to be good for you.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MgamerBD
The day I realized the universe doesn't give a sh!t about me or my life, I ceased the need to dwell inwardly. Life is way too short to waste sitting around trying to empty the mind when there are so many possibilities to fill it.Zeviander
The universe is on your side bro. Nothing wrong with meditating. We clear our mind so we can think more. Get rid of the little so we can see the big.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Pirate700
Yeah, mostly this. Walking helps me a great deal as well
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
meditate is for those who think it's cool to fight for tibet ... lewls
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
When I was much younger and punished frequently. Told to stay in the room with no games or TV so I spent those hours meditating....
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Would this count? I try to spend atleast 1-3 days a week(sometimes less, sometimes more) laying down and just listening to music. Closing my eyes, and just relaxing. Usually for 30-90 minutes. Meditation?

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
The universe is on your side bro. Nothing wrong with meditating. We clear our mind so we can think more. Get rid of the little so we can see the big.MgamerBD
Bullsh!t the universe is on my side. If it were, I'd be in a much better position in life than I am currently. I am the only one who can affect change in my life, the universe is a non-conscious entity that if it were able to comprehend thought, wouldn't even know of our existence. And why would I want to clear my mind? I want to stuff it full of knowledge and experiences before I die.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MgamerBD
[QUOTE="MgamerBD"]The universe is on your side bro. Nothing wrong with meditating. We clear our mind so we can think more. Get rid of the little so we can see the big.Zeviander
Bullsh!t the universe is on my side. If it were, I'd be in a much better position in life than I am currently. I am the only one who can affect change in my life, the universe is a non-conscious entity that if it were able to comprehend thought, wouldn't even know of our existence. And why would I want to clear my mind? I want to stuff it full of knowledge and experiences before I die.

You live in America, have food and clothes on your back and once in awhile get lucky. Trust me...you're born in great odds. Also its to clear your mind of negative thoughts so you can think clearer. Not to completely wipe away any ideas or knowledge you possibly posses. I believe you should try it. You already sounds stressed, I know it will give you a new perspective of peace.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MgamerBD

Would this count? I try to spend atleast 1-3 days a week(sometimes less, sometimes more) laying down and just listening to music. Closing my eyes, and just relaxing. Usually for 30-90 minutes. Meditation?

Wolfetan
Yes. That is a form of meditation.